Ovarian Cysts Community
Cysts while 20 weeks pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Cysts while 20 weeks pregnant

I am 19 weeks pregnant and have been having some pain around my left ovary.  They did a transvaginal u/s at 6 weeks and said I had 2 very small cysts on my left ovary.  They mentioned a corpus luetum (sorry for the spelling) and that it would go away.  I am 18 weeks and 5 days and had my anatomy u/s today - they checked my ovary again and the cysts were still there - they said the biggest was around 2 cm and then there was an even smaller one.  The nurse practioner I saw after the u/s wasn't concerned at all and said they shouldn't be causing me pain (they are).  My maternal grandmother had ovarian cancer and I asked her about the cysts and she dismissed my fears.  My question, after all this background, is should I get a second opinion?  Should I just wait and see.  My mom always had cysts but has always been very healthy (she's 55, as well as her sisiter who is 61) What Should I do?
Cysts can cause a lot of pain, but if your doctor is not worried, and you feel that you can trust him/her, try to relax and not worry too much.  If you would like a second opinion, nothing wrong with that.  You're cysts are rather small and I'm sure they would have told you if they were anything to worry about. When in doubt, get a second opinion. If it will help you relax, go ahead and get another one. Good luck and try not to worry.
Your cysts are small and can definitely cause pain. More than likely, they are functional cysts; however, you do have a history with your grandmother's ovarian cancer. I would ask your doctor about watching the cysts closely and monitoring symptoms.  If you feel especially anxious, I would suggest getting a 2nd opinion. Good luck!