Ovarian Cysts Community
Fluid filled cyst, please give me info.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Fluid filled cyst, please give me info.

If a cyst is fluid filled, does that mean that it is not cancerous? Does it have to have solid parts to be considered "suspicious". Please share your experiences with me because I can't seem to find a straight answer.  This is my history:

For the last 3 or more months, I have had abdominal, pelvic, bladder pressure.  I feel kind of like I have a bladder infection but I don't. I have had 2 rounds of antibiotics and no help. This happened to me before a year and and half ago. Back then, I went for a sonogram, they found a tumor by right ovary, referred to gyn/onc to have it removed w/ right ovary and it was benign. Six months later, I found out I was pregnant.  I gave birth by c-section end of Feb and had my remaining tube tied at that time.  Now, I'm having the same symptoms as before.  I am miserable everyday.  So, I went for another ultrasound. There is a fluid filled cyst blocking the view of my remaining ovary.  She said it was 4 cm and she couldn't see my ovary because of it.  Tech said that it could be just a normal cyst that goes away by itself.  It obviously wasn't there when my tube was tied or the dr. would have seen it.  If it is a normal cyst then what is causing all these symptoms?

Ok, so my question, if a cyst is fluid filled does that mean it is not cancerous or can any kind of cyst be cancerous?  I"m not looking for trouble but, I want to be informed and careful about what I do from here.  Especially, since I have already had problems in this area. Has anyone else had a fluid filled cyst that ended up having to be removed? If so, did they biopsy it?  

Just looking for information.
I had a fluid-filled cyst, also called a simple cyst, removed in February. Mine was 10 cm. They removed it to prevent any problems. If a large cyst bursts, it's quite painful. Because of the size and weight of a larger (over 5 cm) cyst, it could cause the ovary and tube to twist which is an emergency.

My gyno did say they would have an oncologist on hand for the surgery. That was a frightening thought but it was a good precaution. They did test the cyst and ovary and it all came out benign. Any cyst can be a problem so it's best to keep an eye on it and don't be surprised if the doctor wants to remove it. They can't tell if it's benign just by looking at it with an ultrasound. They have enough experience to guess one way or the other but a biopsy is the only sure way to know.
Just over a month ago I had a grapefruit sized fluid filled cyst and my right ovary and tube removed.  Fluid filled cysts are more likely to be benign but they cannot be absolutely sure until they have pathology tested.  Mine was benign.  Hope all goes well for you.  I had hoped that when they operated on me that they would take everything.  My previous abdominal surgeries create a risky situation for any other surgeries and I didn't want to worry about any more in this area in the future.  I was not happy when he told me what he took out.  The adhesions were too bad on the other areas so he opted to leave rest.  I am hearing from so many people who have had another recurrence and am quite nervous that next surgery will be a big problem for me.
BTW, I'm 39 years old and don't think I'm close to menopause yet since I just had a baby.