How fast do ovarian cysts grow?
I recently posted about my 9 cm burden, and actually went for a second opinion - and, based on my symptoms (cramping during bowel movements, extreme bloating, pain, discomfort urinating, etc.) my doctor recommended surgery, more than likely laparotomy due to the size. During this scary waiting time (the surgery is a week out - 7/1), I'm wondering... how long did it take for this to reach this size? I had an annual exam in early March, which means this thing grew sometime within 3 months. I also have a call out for a third opinion... I really would prefer the laparoscopy.
There is no way to know how long it took to grow.  Cysts grow at different rates for different women.  You won't know the type of cyst until it is removed.  Is it complex?  If it is, you should get a consult with a gynecologic oncologist.  They have more experience removing large tumors and will be able to handle staging and tumor removal if it is found to be malignant.   I understand your desire for the laparoscopy versus the laparotomy, but the laparatomy is much safer to remove that size of tumor.  Even benign tumors can cause infection and other problems if they rupture.  You want that cyst to be removed intact so that if the final pathology finds any cancerours cells, they won't have been spread through your abdomen.  Ovarian cancer is highly curable when caught in early stages.  You take yourself from an early stage to a probable late stage when a malignant cyst ruptures during surgery.   Best wishes!
Thank you for the reassurance! I've been looking for affirmations that I'm doing the right thing, and my doctor is proceeding correctly, in every corner of my social network, the Web, etc. (They've given me far too much time between now and the surgery to ruminate.)

It looks like it's a simple cyst, based on the ultrasound, which is wonderful; my doctor did express that she would really prefer not rupturing the thing or draining it inside of me - as you note, due to infection concerns. I figured that growth time varies with individual factors, but was curious if anyone had a fast growth, large one arise also. It was just such a weird coincidence that my appointment was later in the year than usual, and still no detection! I appreciate it!
That sounds encouraging and like you are on track with getting it removed.  Since most usually don't have a scan in the months prior to finding their cyst, the rate of growth isn't easy to determine.  But, I have seen posts from several women over the years who did have a normal ultrsound only to find a large cyst a couple of months later.   It is a blessing you had a later appointment because the cyst may not have been detectable at an earlier date.  I hope all goes well!  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  :)