Ovarian Cysts Community
How the heck do I get this tape off?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

How the heck do I get this tape off?

I spoke with the nurse today who told me I should take the surgical tape off my incision.  I didn't even think about it when I talked with her, but I now realize that tape is super duper sticky and I have no idea how to get it off.  I can't even get my fingernail under it to start pulling it off.  It is a clear tape that covers my incision and extends about 3 inches on either side of it.  Any ideas?  

I stood in the shower for about 20 minutes trying to loosen it but no luck.  I don't want to do too much damage to my skin, and I don't want to disturb the incision, but they must put it on for a reason and there has to be a way to get it off!!!

Thanks!!
Just a suggestion ...try some rubbing alcohol...put it on a cotten ball and try to rub around the tape and see if that loosens the adhesive...
Sounds like you have some Tegaderm over the incision. It acts like a protective skin covering and is extremely thin. I had that and yes, it was a bear to get started. It also didn't feel real good coming off. I tried to do it in the shower and that didn't work. I dried myself off and then just rubbed my finger over the edge until it rolled off a bit, enough to get a grip. You cannot rip it off like a regular bandaid. Keep a finger (from the free hand) pressed on the skin near the bandage as you slowly pull it back. Keep moving your finger on your skin close to the Tegaderm as you peel. That will ease the discomfort. I worked my way all around the edge till only the middle section over the incision was left. That part usually doesn't stick much due to seepage from the wound. At least that part is easy.
I did finally get it off.  My hubby just kept at it until he got it started. Once it was started, I was able to get it off in the shower very easily by pulling down towards the incision and then up towards it for the bottom.  It didn't feel good coming off, but now that it is off I feel better.

Thanks for the ideas!
How long has the tape been on?  Is it a Steri Strip?  If it is a SS and it's been on your incision for a while it should be peeling up on its own.  Steri Strip is used in place of a outer stitch and should be left on until it is mostly peeled off.  

I made the mistake of taking it off too soon on a minor surgical incision and the scar is wider in the spot I pulled at it.
Glad you got it off. I use Tegaderm at work and they are about 3 x 3 squares. They're great at protecting wounds but they have to be ultra sticky to stay put.
I have no idea what it was.  The doctor and the nurse told me to take it off a few days after surgery, but I was not able to get it off.  I spoke to the nurse yesterday and she told me to get it off ASAP.  I was just going to leave it on until it fell off but I guess the nurse and doctor know better than me.  It was really only sticking around the incision, once I peeled it up to the incision it came right off.  It was about an inch wide and 10 inches long.

I vaguely remember the nurse at the hospital telling me it was not holding my incision together and that I could take it off the day after my surgery if I felt up to it.  I have no idea why they put it on then if I was to take it off right away.
It acts as a second skin to keep moisture and dirt out of the new incision. But after a couple of days the skin starts to seal itself and the bandage can be removed. Leaving it on too long just makes a warm, moist breeding ground for infection around any stitches you have.

I misunderstood when you said it extended 3 inches on either side of the wound. I was thinking top/bottom and side/side. It's not unusual to cut it to size and apply it that way.

Anyway, too much  information here. Sorry. Just glad you're healing well.
There is no such thing as too much info for me.  I am always curious and I know I drive others crazy because I want to know what, where, and why!