Ovarian Cysts Community
Large Ovarian Mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Large Ovarian Mass

I am 21 years old, I had two ultrasounds done and was diagnosed with a Large Ovarian Mass. My doctor doesn't know if its a tumor or a cyst yet. When doing the ultrasound it was larger than they could measure. So they measured it larger than 27 by 17 centimeters. I know that I will have to have surgery. How much will this affect my fertility? Will this surgery be difficult? Will I have a huge scar? What's the chance of this being malignant?
Welcome to the community. I am sorry you are going through this. If you do not have a family history of ovarian cancer then chances are great that it is benign (non-cancerous). The average woman's lifetime risk of ovarian cancer is less than 2% (U.S. statistics say 1.3% to be exact). If there is a possibility of cancer, a gynecologic oncologist should do the surgery. And although the cyst is large, a surgeon with good cystectomy (cyst removal) skills would give you the best possibility of keeping your ovary or at least enough ovarian tissue for normal hormone production. Unfortunately, far too many women lose healthy ovaries unnecessarily.

Removal of one ovary can permanently disrupt hormone production impairing fertility as well as having negative effects on your health. And then you are in the precarious situation of having only one ovary left. The ovaries of an intact woman produce hormones her whole life which are essential to every aspect of health.

Keep us posted on plans. Wishing the best for you!
Hi there!  I'm 29 and was diagnosed with a large 10cm cyst on my left ovary - I know what you're going through and it is so scary and you feel very alone.. I had blood tests last week and never heard anything which I'm assuming is good and means there's nothing abnormal - I went for an mri today and am scheduled for laparoscopic surgery to remove the cyst next Friday! I am terrified and have my wedding in December so all of this is even more scary! Hope everything goes ok for you - will say a prayer for you..