Ovarian Cysts Community
Nervous for laparoscopy - general anesthesia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I've never had a surgery before and I'm nervous.  I will be having a cystectomy on my left ovary (golf ball sized cyst inside my left ovary, most likely a cyst of endometriosis).  I've never had a breathing tube in...support/encouragement needed.  
Tags: nervous, laparoscopy, general anesthesia, breathing tube
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
General anaesthesia is best for laparoscopic surgery and there is no need to be afraid of it. With advanced methods of anaesthesia, the risk is low. You will merely be put to sleep for a short period of time - for the duration of the surgery and will be wide awake after that. However you can discuss your anxieties with the anaesthetist.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.
Hi dear you'll be fine. Nerves come with the territory I just had mine done this past Friday. We tend to get nervous because there is a certain level of uncertainty such as what's going to happen and how..so ask questions and I guarantee the answers will ease your anxiety.
Thank you much for your advice.  I had the surgery yeterday morning and all went wel.  Minimal bleeding according to the doctor.  I still feel tired but am slowly starting to take slow, gentle walks around the house.  It was found that I have stage 3 endometriosis.  He removed a golf ball size cyst from my left ovary and vaporized all other endometriosis he safely could remove.  There was some he couldn't get, as it was behind the uterus from the cervix to the tailbone.  He said if I was older (I'm 25) and didn't want more kids, he would have suggested a hysterectomy.  Our next step is to see him in 4 weeks, and a nuva ring will be inserted at that time with intent to prevent future endometriois-related growths and prevent more from coming.  My future husband better come along quickly!! :)
** and with intent to shrink what is left.