Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian Cyst Bloodwork

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Cyst Bloodwork

My girlfriend went to the gyno for a follow-up on her ovarian cyst. They said that it was more of a solid and they wanted to do further testing to find out what type of cyst it was. She had to give 6 tubes of blood for testing and we were wondering why she had to give so many tubes and what testing would be done?

Firstly, you are a very considerate boyfriend to come onto a forum and ask advice for your girlfriend, she is very lucky ;)  

Unfortunately to find out 100% what type of cyst your girlfriend has, surgery is the only answer.  Ultrasound scanning can give a good idea but is not entirely accurate.  A cyst will need to be tested in pathology for the cells it contains after is has been removed from surgery.  

I have just had a solid cyst removed.  Mine was completely okay.  I also had lots of blood tests done.  They also took about 6 tubes from me, these were to test what blood type I was, amongst others, some of these are done for preparation for surgery.  One main blood test was a CA125, this is to test for cancer.  Please dont let this scare you, as this is a standard test, even though not a reliable test! But they do it all the same, it is standard procedure if a cyst is bigger than 5cm and is solid.  I had it done and everything was fine.  My cyst was 10cm! So was a rather large solid cyst!

Best thing to do is for your girlfriend to speak with her Gyno on her next consultation, he/she should explain what each blood test was for and also the next steps on either removing the cyst or watching and waiting (depending on size), some cysts (even those that appear to have solid parts) can resolve on their own, others dont and need to be removed as they can twist the ovary or burst which isnt very pleasant.  

Mine didnt burst or twist, but I opted for removal because of its size as sooner or later it may have done.  So I had it removed a week ago, and everything is much better now.

Take care, and let us know how your girlfriend gets on.  

Yvonne  

Thanks for your advice Sconnie. We don't quite know the exact size of hers, but we know that it doesn't bother her. They just happened to find it when she went there for another problem. I will be sure to keep you informed.