Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian cysts despite oral contraceptives

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I am 49, have not yet reached menopause, and am on Microgestin birth control pills. I have pelvic pain, had an ultrasound and the technician showed me a cyst on each ovary. My doctor said the ultrasound was normal. Previously she had suggested that the pain may have been due to ovulation, but I don't see how I would be ovulating, since I am on the pill, and also because of my age. I have never had this problem before. I don't know if I have had cysts in the past and was just not aware of them. This time it is noticeable because I have bronchitis so the pain is aggravated when I cough. I have had bronchitis many times but never an ovarian cyst at the same time. Could this change be related to menopause?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Small cysts occur in the ovary because of hormonal changes as per the age cycle. These if small may not be of much consequence. However the cause of pain needs to be ascertained. This can be pelvic infection, colitis, or adhesions. Pain cannot be a feature of menopause. Hence you should consult a gynaecologist for an evaluation.
Hope this helps.
Thank you Dr. Wanjari,

I did see my OB and she said everything looked normal - that what I thought were cysts were just normal follicular actiivuty, possibly more noticeable because I had been on antibiotics. Between her and my regular doctor, the theory is that my pain is muscular, from all the violent coughing I had been doing. Maybe in a way it is related to age, only because now that I'm older I'm probably more vulnerable to muscle strain due to general weakness. It's slowly getting better. As soon as it feels normal I'm going to start doing pilates and hopefully next time I have a cough I won't feel like I've been punched in the stomach! :)