Ovarian Cysts Community
Please Help! Has anyone had their ovary attached to their bowel??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I just had surgery on Thursday April 1st to have my ovaries removed.  Unfortunately, they were only able to remove my right ovary which was totally attached to my side wall with a 5cm endometrioma cyst.  The doctor was not able to remove all of the ovary and said that there is still some of it attached to my side wall.

She was unable to remove my left ovary because it attached to my bowel and surrounded by scar tissue.  My bowel is also all attached to my side wall with scar tissue.  She said that it would be too dangerous and risky to try and remove it and was unable to see if my ovary was healthy.  My left ovary can not be seen by ultrasound because of the scar tissue and bowel.

Does anyone know if there is any other test the doctor can do that is better than an ultrasound to see if the left ovary is heathly and to make sure there are no cyst growing on it.  Unfortuantely, my doctor couldn't even get to it to see if it was ok because it's totally surrounded by scar tissue and fused to the bowel and side wall.  

I'm nervous that my left ovary is not healthy and no one can do anything to check it out and confirm that it is ok.  

Ovarian Cancer runs very high in my family and I'm scared that it will go undected with me if they can't get a view of it.

Please share your experiences with me and give any advise you have.  
I am so sorry you are in this position.  I have had many bowel operations and when I had my cyst surgery my gyn took a general surgeon in with him to help in that area.  I wonder if you got a referral to a general surgeon for a 2nd opinion if they might be able to do an operation in conjunction with your gyn to solve your issues and give you some peace of mind.  Have you had a CA-125 test?
Thanks Trudie for your response.  No my gyn has not referred me to a general surgeon, she doesn't seem to be all that worried about it.  She was uncomfortable doing this surgery but I told her that I wanted my ovaries and cyst removed and with hesitation agreed to do the surgery.  Because of the amount of scar tissue I have it makes it difficult for them to get in there and do what they want to do.  Apparently everything is all stuck together.  I'm concerned that no one can see my left ovary to see what is going on with it.  I currently do not have any pain on my left side, it was always on my right side.  Do you know if they do a MRI if that will go through the bowel to get a good view of the ovary?  Really I'm pulling at straws here. When you had your bowel surgeries, were they for scar tissue?  My doctor said that if they were to have to remove my left ovary it would be an extremely risky and dangerous surgery which of course scares the crap out of me.  I don't have my follow up with my doctor till the 20th and I'm hoping to get some answers of what the next step is.....I really need to know if my left ovary is ok so I can put my mind at ease.  I'm day 4 post op and feeling pretty good considering how difficult the surgery was......it took her 2 hours and 5 incisions just to get the ovary and cyst out.  I still have a bit of a pull and tug on my right side still but I think it's from the stitches and I still tire really easily but other than that I'm feeling pretty good.  Thanks for listening....it's nice to know there are other ladies out there who can sympatize and understand.
I have had 2 surgeries for ectopic pregnancies and several on my bowels to remove my large bowel and rebuild my rectum due to ulcerative colitis.  These created awful scar tissue.  Like you all my internal organs are glued together.  My gyn was worried that his surgery (laporatomy using the same vertical cut from my navel down) might knick my bowel or rebuilt rectum/pouch so he took in the general surgeon.  I told them that since it was risky that I wanted a complete hysterectomy.  Unfortunately because of the scar tissue they were only able to remove the cysts, ovary and tube.  I continue to get cysts but luckily so far they have been resolving themselves.

I hope you can get your answers and that you can get a 2nd opinion or at least a doctor who will do as much testing as possible to give you peace of mind.  Please keep me posted.
I have the same problem. I have had a hysterectomy, leaving one overy. That overy is apparently ( can't be seen even in surgery ) underneath my bowel which is adhered to my side wall with adhesions. I am going for a risky surgery to try and free my bowel as I have a suspected partial blockage. This will be my 8th surgery for adhesions. Good luck Tammy
Hello, I have just had my 4th surgery on my abdomen. My Gyno refers to it as cement abdomen. The last surgery was 3 weeks ago.. My left ovary was the size of a cantaloupe and imbedded into my bowel. She had to leave a price behind. My fear is that the remaining tissue will cause future problems. I have incredible pain with every bowel movement!! My surgeon said I will have a colostomy if they need to go in again. That is my story to date. I wish you all the best of luck with your tummies!! Debbie