Ovarian Cysts Community
Remove Ovaries or Wait
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Remove Ovaries or Wait

Hi, I have a cyst on my left ovary my gyn has been watching for about 2 years. It recently grew a little (4.2 cm to 4.7 cm). Since I'm 60, I decided to get the opinion of a gyn oncologist. She had a new ultrasound done that showed the cyst was still 4.7 cm but had developed 2 compartments and I also had a new simple cyst (2 cm) on my right ovary. She told me that ultrasounds are not always conclusive but gave me the choice of having both ovaries removed or waiting 3 months to see how things looked. Since recent studies indicate that the ovaries are health protective even after menopause, I'm having a hard time making a decision. I could use some help. Thank you.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I have also read in some articles that keeping the ovaries gives more health benefits, compared to having them removed.

I think waiting 3 months to see if the cysts somehow lessens wouldn't be so bad. After another ultrasound, then you can decide with your doctor what would be the best thing to do.
Blank
Thanks Lynn for your comment. I wish it were possible to hear from others who have been through this. It would be helpful to hear from women who had their ovaries removed past menopause, haven't had HRT and seem to be doing fine and those who aren't also.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cysts Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...