Surgery 4 days ago - laxative suggestions-need relief?
I came home yesterday, and haven't had a BM in about 30 hours. Is it safe to take more than recommended amount of Senokot? Should I try something else with it like Mirilax? I woke with a bit more lower pain at 3:00 am and suspect the lack of a BM is contributing.
Geez. not a good feeling.  Can you call your doctor's office to ask? Because I know from past surgeries how painful and uncomfortable that can be.  I hope you can call and ask becauses mirilax is suppose to work awesome.
I may call today if no changes. I did do some research during the night and from what I have read, can take up 4 tablets of Senokot twice per day. I'll try two this am with a bunch of water.
For any others who may experience this - I did increase the Senokot in the am and drank about 8 oz apple juice, followed by 12 oz of prune juice. Problem solved. A tip to add - while making the efforts, use both hands and put pressure on lower abdomen - helps with discomfort a lot.
my dad had many surgeries and they always say to take colace after.
hope you feel better soon!
Stool softeners never worked for me. I always just drank the sodium phosphate fizz soda-like bottles and they cleared me out with no pain, no cramping, and it was QUICK. It's also really cheap, like $1.00 at a pharmacy. Give it a try but start with half of the bottle first, drink 8oz or more of water (it needs water to work), and before you know it you'll be much happier ;)
Thanks for the added tips!