Ovarian Cysts Community
Ultrasound tell if not cancerous?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ultrasound tell if not cancerous?

Hi.
ahh, so many question I have.  I'm sorry. This is all new to me and I'm quite nervous. The doctor said on the ultrasound the cyst is not cancerous. Yet, a friend of mine is surprised and asked how she can tell.  Wouldn't they have to take a blood test or a sample of it?  Or is there really a way to tell on the ultrasound?  I did have bloodwork the week before and she didn't mention anything. Then a week later, she found the 3.9 inch cyst. I have bloodwork again this Friday to a usual check up. I wonder though if part of that blood test is checking the cyst too?  Thanks.
I'm going to have to agree with your friend. There is no way  to tell with 100 % certainty if a cyst is malignant or notfrom an ultrasound. However, most good Dr's may have a "feeling".  Even blood work will not tell you for sure. You didn't mention your age, but the blood test they are probably talking about is a CA-125 and even that is not that reliable in younger (premenopausal women) . The only sure way to determine if a cyst is malignant or not is through a laparoscopy or laporatomy with tissue samples obtained.

Wish it could be different, but remember this; cysts are 95% benign and quite common.
What type of cyst is it?
Hi.
I'm not sure.  The doctor didn't tell me.  She wants to see another ultrasound and have me back in the office.  She'll tell me more then.
Hi.
Thanks.  It is good to know that cysts are 95% benign and quite common. I'm 29. I wondered that too about the ultrasound and wasn't sure. That makes sense. I was confused. I hope it isn't cancerous. When they do the laparoscopy or laporatomy, can they remove it at that time too? Thanks.
At your age, it's possible that they will suggest simply monitoring it for a few cycles. It could very well disappear on it's own. Many times they do just that . Chances are great that it isn't malignant .

If your Dr. does recommend removal, yes, it's usually done via the laparoscopy or laporatomy for large cysts. The Laparoscopy is an outpatient procedure usually with 3 tiny incisions down the midsection. The recovery time is about 2 weeks. The Laparotomy is more of an open surgery and you would spend a few days in the hospital usually. The recovery time is a little longer as well. But, let's not jump the gun.  You may want to check the top right of this page "Health Pages" where there is a lot of information about cysts. Above all , try not to worry and let us know.
Thanks.  It is good to know.  If they have to remove it, I hope it is the day surgery one. The other one and having to stay in the hospital scares me. The surgery, recovery, the pain and all scares me. I'll let you know.
Normally most of the doctors prefers to remove the cyst if it is more that 5 cms and after a cycle or two the cyst has shrunk..
Hi. I think they might have to. It is 6cm and it might have grown because I have more pain. I'm due for my cycle soon but haven't got it yet.