What's usually done to a 10 cm ovarian cyst causing pain?
I've had many ovarian cysts and infact a lot of other female problems that have caused me to have a hysterectomy about 8 years ago.  My doctor & I chose to leave one ovary, my healthiest one, so I would not have to have hormone therapy.  Because of this I have still gotten cysts, although not as many and not as frequent.  Over these last few days, about 5, I have been experiencing all the classic signs of a cyst again..pain, pressure etc.  Yesterday I ended up in the ER as my doctor was away and any other doctor couldn't get me in until this afternoon.  I had blood work done and basically just an ultrasound, which revealed a 10 cm cyst!  I heard the technician talking about how she couldn't tell what the cyst consisted of, usually they can tell if it's blood or fluid etc, but because of the size she couldn't say and now I'm extemely nervous!  Can anyone tell me what they've gone through with a cyst of such size?  Not knowing what it consists of scares me also, as I know it could also be some type of mass.  I do have a doctor's appt. this afternoon, but I would be most appreciative of any information someone may have of what they have gone through.  I've been through it all..laporoscopies, ruptured cysts with severe internal bleeding etc. but I would really like a little insight to help calm my nerves before the appt. (although I know everyone's situation is different, any input would be helpful at this time!)  Thank you so much for your quick replies.
Hey I know this is a old post but I just wanted to ask you how the surgery turned out afterwards. I am 14 and I am going next Friday the 22 to have a sist that the doctor actually called a tumor that is 22.7 cm removed from my right ovary. It has grown all the way into my stomach and is actually larger than a basketball. If you could give me any advice on what to expect and what to do after the surgery it would be great appreciated. My doctor said that most people my age don't get these as they usually occur in older women but hey the surgery is the surgery and I'm sure you could give me some insight.

Thanks,
Katie
  Just had same type of cyst removed last week. Mine was a bit smaller than yours, was 8x6x5. My docs didnt want me to wait for very long either, however they were ok with 2 wks to 1 month to see if it would decrease or go away. Problem is that once they get above 3cm they usually get larger rather than better. Mine grew apx 1 cm a month, but each person is different of coarse. As they get larger they can put pressure on other vital organs in there,so I was told. As for being cancerous they also told me they usually are not but risk go up depending on age as well as personal & family history.
  May I ask what was the reason for your histerectomy?
CAN YOU BECOME PREGNANT AFTER A OVARIAN CYST HAS BEEN REMOVED?
I HAVE A QUESTION, SEE IM 22 WITH MY SECOND CHILD. LAST YEAR I HAD MISCARRIED AND MY HUSBAND AND I WERE VERY UPSET ABOUT IT. SO THIS YEAR WERE BEING VERY CAREFUL, WELL YESTERDAY I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN IT EVEN HURT TO DRIVE. BECAUSE WHEN I DID THE BACK OF MY SEAT WOULD TOUCH MY BACK WHICH MADE HE HAVE VERY BAD PAIN. WELL I ENDED UP IN THE ER TO THEN FIND OUT I HAVE A CYST, THEY DIDNT TELL ME THE SIZE OF IT OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT BUT IM SO WORRIED. WILL THIS AFFECT MY BABY?
Can't believe I am just now seeing your posting......
To answer your question, hysterectomy was mainly due to very large fibroids (had a mymectomy in 2005).

My laparatomy is scheduled for July 10th.  Not looking forward to the surgery, but ready to get rid of the pain and anxiety.
Hello, I am 33 yrs of age and this am I had an ultra-sound due that I had an abnormal papsmere few weeks ago.  They told me I've got a 10 ct mass in one of my ovaries and that I need to have surgery done asap.  I am sooooo scared, confused, surprised, shocked, etc.   I have an appt w/a specialist next Friday.  Any hep?  Please!  I need some advice.  Anyone know how this surgery's take place?

Thanks!  
Hi All,

I'm 25 and have just found out I have 3 cysts on my ovaries. One measures 10cm and they're eager to take them out asap. Clearly I'm concerned about having children, etc...but what actually lead me to this diagnosis is 18 months of severe bloating and an oversized stomach. Specialists couldn't figured out what was wrong with me and it was actually my very own research that lead to these findings. The huge stomach REALLY got me down as I have a small frame and lived in constant fear that people would think I look pregnant, I'd even hold in my stomach whilst eating :(

Therefore, my question to you that have had surgery, is whether the bloating and enlarged stomach goes away after the cysts are removed ?
Hi all,

As I'm reading through your posts, I get madder and madder and more hopeful at the same time. I'm 42 now, but have had bleeding problems since I was a teen. God my period at 12 and was fine until I was 13/4 when I started bleeding lightly all the time. My mom got me to a doctor to start on the pill but I was scared to take it since I wasn't having sex. So I continued having bleeding problems and it kept getting heavier and heavier. I'd still do what I needed to do, cheerlead, whatever, but always in the back of my mind was this bleeding. My mom finally took me to another doctor who gave me progesterone pills to take the first 10 days and that helped. This was early 1986.

I was doing find until 1988, when I started seeing my now husband. We were at my dad's during the beginning of Spring Break and started hemorrhaging so much so I ended up in the hospital. I was about to start on the pill and the doctor said I had an ectopic pregnancy, but have not idea.

Took the pill for 10 years and from 1998-2002 I was fine. But in 2002, I started bleeding really heavily again went to a new doctor. She gave me the progesterone again, but it had the opposite effect of making me bleed really, really heavy. Went to my old doctor and had an endometriotomy to check for cancer, clear, had a HSG, where they put a dye in my uterus to check things out, nothing unusual. Yada, yada, D&C, another D&C...went to another doctor. Also had tests to make sure my endocrinology was OK, and it was slightly off, but not crazy.

Had very intense pain and extremely heavy bleeding He sent me to a group to ostensibly look into this, but all they wanted me to do was get pregnant w/ IVF. Stopped seeing him. While I was interested in getting pregnant, I didn't want to do IVF and felt I was being pressured to do something I wasn't interested in.

Left that doctor. Later went to another specialist, and he found some endometriosis (mother had this and had hysterectormy) and had laporscopic surgery. Ended up doing insemination w/ him but didn't take. Finally ended up back with the IVF group and tried a few times getting almost pregnant in 2008. Tried once more. Last year, I was still having bleeding problems so I ended up going to another doctor and he took out a septum that was dividing my cervix.

Still more bleeding and on-going pain. Went for a sonogram/ultrasound in February and a cyst w/in a cyst in back of my right ovary, I forget how large it is, but I'm probably going in for surgery again this week to remove it. Not sure what to expect. How could this have been missed; could it have have been there the whole time?

I feel bloaty, and gassy a lot so I'm hoping that some of that will be taken care of as well, but see by many of the comments that possibly not. The doctor will also check for more endometriosis.

My cousin who is 5 years younger had some endometriosis removed and then got pregnant about 7 months later, although I'm thinking that's not going to be me. :(

Thanks for listening to my story and feel incredibly inspired by everyone else's stories and knowing that i'm not alone! Just can't believe doctors haven't figured things out since it's not like these are unknown things (I also have a bicornate uterus...).

I'm also trying to get a friend to do more to find out what's up with her issues since they're much like mine.
I feel so much better after reading all of your stories. I am 32 and I have 2 fibroid's that are 10cm each on my uterus. I have to get them surgically removed. I have no kids and I really, really want kids.
I will keep you posted on how things go.
(April 5 2010)
Hi All,
Thank you for your postings.  I have uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts as well. I am learning from everyone's experiences and feeling some hope.  My regular GYN said I did not need surgery unitl after I get pregnant he can remove the fibroids & cysts but I'm getting a lot of pelvic & side pain & also deferred pain under my ribs sometimes.  I decided to make an appt with an OBGYN surgeon for minimally invasive surgery to have these taken out and get it biopsied.  I'm anxious to hear what this OBYN surgeon has to say.  Even if my regular OBGYN does not suspect any cancerous cysts but I still insisted to have CA 125 test although it will go up for having fibroids but there is still a range for them to determine if there are any cancerous cells.  I will post again after meeting with the surgeon.

concerned woman
Hey ladies. I'm 26 and have a 8cm tumor on my ovary which they think is either a complex cyst, fibroid... or hopefully nothing worse than that.  I'm choosing surgery to get the tumor out bc I really don't want it in there! It's gross! Hoping they can save my ovary though. Consultation tomorrow. Good luck my friends :)
Im currently fifteen years old and was diagnosed with a 8 cm cyst on my left ovary, I am meeting with my specialist tomorrow, but i was wondering if i should expect the answer of surgery? I dont have a regular period, i get some intense pain and other symptoms aswell at times . What would you expect the doctor to tell me?
Hi there everyone,
About one month ago I went in for my yearly exam and my doctor felt a growth on my left side.  It was tender to the touch and when we discussed it I have had ongoing low back pain and brownish discharge for weeks after my periods for over a year now.  She sent me for an ultrasound and while there they also did an internal one.  The results came back that I have a rather large cyst on my left ovary, a rather large fibroid on my uterus (which they also discovered is retroverted) and a cyst on my kidney.  I am going for a follow-up ultrasound in about 3 weeks to see if there are any changes.  What worries me is that about 2 weeks ago my husband and I had sex and I was in a lot of pain afterwards.  My abdomen has become so distended that none of my pants are comfortable to wear and even my kids think I'm pregnant.  My lower back ache is constant and  I now have aching legs.  The other morning I was able to feel what I think is my left ovary and it feels large and very sore.  Do you think I should try to see my doctor sooner or just wait and go to my ultrasound in 3 weeks.  I know I've been rambling but I'm starting to get a little worried.
I have a 10cm cyst on my left ovary - I found out back in 2010 - but I can not afford the surgery to get it taken out, like my GYN says it needs to be.  I have been trying for financial help, but I am in the middle class, so apparently I make to much.  I am bloated all the time and I can't lose weight in my midsection........I go through a lot of pain whenever it feels like acting up..........any suggestions on how I can get help to have this done?  I have tried Medicaid and my county for help with no luck.................

TigressNme, I am so sorry to hear that. I am assuming that you do not have health insurance... would you be able to afford one? I found health insurance coverage online at one time through www.ehealthinsurance.com I was able to find something that met my needs and that I could afford. Your cyst will most likely fall under a pre-existing condition and they would not cover for 12 months if you have lapse of health insurance (62 or more days without health insurance), but it is better than nothing.
I would also look for a planned parenthood in your area and see if they could help.
Thank you for your advice.......... I am currently trying for Medically needy right now...........will let ya know how it goes :-)
Sorry, had your name wrong - see what happens when you are not wearing your glasses - LOL
Reading all the comments have been helpful. I'm 34 yrs old and I'm 8wks pregnant with my second child. And I found out that I have a 10cm cyst on my left ovary. I also, had a cyst with my first pregnancy as well but it wasn't 10cm until I was 20wks and it didn't grow to much more throught my pregnancy. They didn't remove the cyst because I only have one ovary. When I was 14 I had a cyst that weight 20lbs and grew in my right ovary so it had to be removed.

After my first cyst I was always worried I wouldn't be able to have kids even thought the doctors told me I shouldn't have any problems. I have to say I don't have any problems conceiving but I seem to have problems whenever my hormone levels increase.

There is a risk of loosing the baby if we try and remove the cyst while I'm pregnant and since I only have one ovary we opted to wait to have the cyst removed until I deliever. We will have a c-section and at that time they will remove the cyst as well.
how did your surgery go. was there any cancer involved. I'm nervous now because I have a 9cm and is due surgery/
Hello all,

I am really scared and worried at this time. At 6 weeks pregnancy i was diagnosed with a 5 cm cyst. After a week an ultrasound on urgent basis to check cyst and to keep an eye on the cyst was performed whch shows it has grown to 15% in just 5 days reaching a size of 6.4cm. This is my first pregnancy I am really super excited but also worried about this cyst. I have an appoint with dr on Friday. Plz guide n help if anyone else also experience such kind of a problem..
yes i get overian cyst all the time on my right and sometimes on my left that are always 10 to 12 cm i hurt all the time i am moody all the time i cry all the time and i get uti all the time from them pushing on my blater i can't spell lol i do not have ins. so they would always tell me to take pain meds and go home from the er it dose scary me because what if having so miny over the past 6 years what can it do can it cause cancer over time all i know is that nothing works i have tried all kinds of meds nothing work and doctors will not take them out with out 10,000 dollars or more and the ones that act like they will help find out i don't have ins. kinda look at you like well sorry deal with it and i make just a few dollars to much to get help from the state going thur this makes me lose fath in almost everything when i am not at work i am in bed with pain or so down i don't do nothing if anyone knows what will help please tell me i live in texas
My cyst grew from 7cm to 10cm in just a few months, i have a doc appt today to get checked out, My doc said it must come out and i'm scared :(
Does the surgery hurt, how long are you out of work?
I too feel your pain...I do not have health insurance and I know I need surgery to have my cysts removed on both of my ovaries.  I am at my wits end now and all I can do is pray.  I have developed a horrible cough now along with the horrible pelvic and lower back pains.  All I want to do is sleep...I pray that you and I be healed and set free from cysts and growths in our bodies in Jesus' name.  Amen.  Keep the faith Stout...don't give up.
Hi, I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with 3 cysts in my right ovary, the largest being 10cm. I'm waiting to hear back from a specialist to find out whats gonna happen! I just had a few questions, what will most likely happen? And should I try not to do any heavy lifting or running, jumping etc. And I'll still be able to have kids right? Thanks.
When cysts are larger than 10cms they usually remove them with a laprascope. Many times they can just take the cyst and leave behind the ovary. Worse case scenario, you'll lose the ovary BUT you will still have a healthy ovary left, so you could still get pregnant. You don't need to take precautions,however, if you get acute pain, call the doctor asap. What you want to prevent is an ovarian torsion (twisting) which will kill the ovary.  Large cysts may cause a torsion,so that is why they need to remove them.
Thanks for replying. I've read on many websites, when the cyst is removed with laproscopy, it just grows back later. Is this true? And if it could possibly rupture, do you know what would be done? Thank you so much.
i read your post about the cystic mass. i had last monday ultrasound and ct scan. reports say adnexal mass with solid and cystic components and a fluid called ascites in my abdomen and tht it s most most likely cancer. i am seeing the oncologist this coming thursday and will most likely have surgery soon. and did you find out that your cystic mass was not cancer?
i would appreciate if you can let me know. thank you
Misha at ***@****
ive got a 13cm cyst in my right ovary but dosent know weather to have sergary or not proper scared that i wont wake up or i will pass away during the op any advice girls and guys realy ned it thanks
Hello to Eveyone,

I am 21 years old, i was diagnosed with mono on May 2 2012 and went to the ER on May 19 2012, with bad abdominal pain and back pain, For the past year i have actually always had weird pains in my stomach but didnt really think much of it. I went to the ER on the 19th because i knew i had mono and thinking maybe my spleen ruptured cause of all the pain i had, I ended up doing a CT scan and they ended up finding a mass/tumor, i was in shock, scared, i totally went there thinking it was my spleen and then left the ER with a Tumor that may be cancerous. I got set up with an OBGYN and did an ultrasound and i have a 10cm Tumor on my left ovary, and i also have a fluid in my abdomen and they did a vaginal biopsy, which was very painful, they are sending my fluid to a UNV Hospital in Denver Colorado, to be tested for cancer and to find out what kind of fluid it is, im very nervous, and praying that i am not going to have cancer....After reading some of the post i learned that alot of times they will not even know if it is cancerous until after the mass/tumor is removed??...i know i will be needing surgery to remove the large 10cm tumor..but i was under the impression that they would know i had cancer by testing the fluid from my abdomen...would love some insight from some ladys going through the same situation i am in! :) hugs to everyone, and lots of love and prayers!

-Amanda<3
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone - I have a 10cm cyst on my left and a 5cm on my right - I was scheduled for surgery, but the hospital would not take my low down payment(no insurance).  I am still fighting to get it done.  I am always tired and sometimes the pain is unbearable,  Good luck to you as well......
I have just found out I have 10cm cyst on my right ovary still in a bit of shock and scared I bleed throughout the month. I am am reassued to know I am not the ony one scared
I just found out I have an 13 cm cysts and I am soo scared.I only have one little girl and still want another..please someone tell me what's going to happen.
Hi, Im 46 years old and for the past couple of years have had a lot of pain in my stomach and groin area. I finally decided to go to the ER after the pain git bad. The diagnosed me with having a 10in by 7in cyst on my pelvic areas..My question is ..has anyone ever had a cyst that big and had surgery for it.My dr has me scheduled for MRI and then surgery.
please help me i am ten and i have a cyst its been there for like a year and it isunt going away i took eye drops diddint work so i went to a specialest and they said i need to have surgerey well so ya im still on the waiting list and now i see onother on growing!!!!1 please help me
I found out last month I have a 10cm cyst on my ovary. I'm scheduled for surgery on 10/8/12 to remove it and both ovaries. I had a partial hysterectomy in 2003. I am 49 now, I had 2 ectopic pregnancies prior to 2003 so I don't have any tubes. I was in shock of the news, I haven't had symptoms. I do go to the bathroom frequently but I thought it was due to drinking water. I noticed that when I went for the ultrasound the technician told me I hadn't emptied my bladder when I had just gone. Maybe the cyst has been causing me not to be able to empty it fully. I requested the surgery in October because I had some things planned and the doctor said it was okay. This also gives my son time to fly from Chicago to Florida to assist me for a few days after surgery. He was there for me through the other surgeries. I've been praying and trusting God to bring me through this as He did in the past with the other surgeries. They did a CA-125 test and it was normal, thank God. I am hoping I will not have to go through another large incision and it will be small below my navel. My concern is the scar tissue being in the way from the previous surgeries. I also had my son via C-section. So I have 2 bikini cuts, 1 long abdomen cut, 1 small one below the navel. Scar tissue everywhere and I thought my days of having surgery were over. My only hope is in God, He is a Healer and a miracle worker. I will be praying for you Len and everyone that has posted here. It's only because of God's grace did I have 1 son. I had a miscarriage and I had two failed attempts at IVF. I'm so thankful to God for my son. One thing I know for sure, God will only allow what is best for us even if we don't agree with it at the time. My favorite scripture is Romans 8:28, all things work together for good, for those that love God, for those that are called according to His purpose. I have to thank God for everything life has given me, the good and the bad. That's help me stay in peace. Love D    
I had a 10cm cyst removed 18 years ago, along with half my right ovary. I also have been born with one kidney and a bicornate uterus, making pregnancy unlikely and high risk. We have two healthy beautiful daughters. I have had additional cysts that rupture or subside on their own. I currently have a complex hemmoragic cyst that is being watched. Dr wants me to have ultrasounds 6-8 weeks. Sadly I can no longer afford the tests, but my pain intensity is increasing. I dont know what to do
I was in the ER last night. Pain and bloating just feel crappy. They found a bleeding cyst on my ovary. No more info than that from the ER doc, but to see a GYN in the next 7 days. I have an appt in the am, but I am a little nervous. I know most are not cancer, but we have a long history of cancer in the family. Looking things up the systoms are the same as ovaian cancer? Anybody have an thoughts?
hello
my name is jennifer i am 32 years old and i was just old that i have a 3.5 cm cyst on my right overy and a bunch on my left overy and the one my dr is concerned about is 11cm and is sending me to a specialist and i a terrified cancer runs on both sides of my family i and scared that they are going to tell me it is cancer or thati will never be able to have children which will devistate me , someone please tell me the truth of what i am fixing to go through here.
Hi Jayne17. I have recently been diagnosed with a 15 centimeter pelvic mass. I do not want to have surgery, but I know I have to. I am a 34 year old single mother of two and I cannot afford to miss work. What was your recovery time? How much work did you have to miss? How long did the procedure take? I'm so discouraged right now. Did you stomach flatten at all? Thanks for sharing.
Welcome to the community. I am sorry you are dealing with this. I had a 9.5cm ovarian cyst (a cystadenoma to be exact). Unfortunately, I was over-treated. My surgeon removed both ovaries and my uterus even though the frozen section done in the operating room was benign. I wish I had done things differently including revising the surgical consent form to not allow any organs to be removed if the cyst was benign.

What type of cyst do you have and what are your surgeon's plans?
Hi Just wanted to ask you something as you seem very up on all of this.  My daughter recently had an ultra sound which we were told was a 10cm cyst with mass.  She has been told that she will need an op to get rid of this.  She is awaiting a second ultra sound due in four weeks and then they are going to do the op at the end of October.  They have done blood tests which are marginally higher and she is at present being treated under the Two Week Rule.  Is this in your opinion quick or should they be operating quicker???
Prayers would be much appreciated - I have a 10cm complex cyst and just had my MRI today and am scheduled for laparoscopic surgery next friday.  I'm so scared although so far there have been no signs that this is anything but a large Dermoid cyst.  Still the waiting and not knowing is making me crazy - I'm planning to get married in December and this is terrifying :(
Hi I recently had a ct scan done and the report said I have a 9 cm lesion on my right ovary. I had a partial hysterectomy 3 years ago because of endometriosis and only have my ovaries left. What is a lesion is it different from a cyst or a tumor? Could this be cancer?
Welcome to the community. I suspect they are using the term "lesion" as a more general term so maybe they could not get a good visual. But whether it is a cyst or a tumor, most ovarian growths are benign and do not require that the ovary be removed. But unfortunately, far too many surgeons remove ovaries unnecessarily. Ditto for the uterus.

If you do not have a family history of ovarian cancer, then your lifetime risk would be less than 2% (1.3% per www.cancer.gov). Being that the growth is 9cm, surgery is likely to be the recommended treatment. However, a cystectomy (cyst removal) should be all that is needed if the frozen section done while you are under anesthesia is benign.

The ovaries produce hormones our whole lives if we have all our parts and may do so even if the uterus and/or one ovary is removed. Removal of the ovaries or reduced or absent function caused by removal of parts is associated with increased mortality due to increased risk for a number of health conditions.  

I had a 9.5cm benign ovarian cyst and all my parts were removed 9 years ago. Surgical "menopause" (castration) has been nothing short of a nightmare.

I hope you get treatment that restores your health versus causing more problems. Please keep us posted.
Hi Kolla

I have a cyst that is 11cm x 8cm x 6cm my surgery is on Tuesday. Like you they hope to do it laparoscopic but may have it open me up if it proves tricky.
Can I ask did they manage to remove yours without open surgery?

I'm desperate not to have the big scarred tummy but have a bad feeling about it..

Would be grateful for any info

Cheers
Wendy xx
Wendy - Is your surgeon going to remove just the cyst (cystectomy) so you can keep your ovary and its life long hormonal functions? Some surgeons do not have good cystectomy skills or good laparoscopic skills. Since he/she plans to remove it laparoscopically, I assume it is very low risk for being cancerous (as is the case for most cysts)?
Baby Trust in The Name of Jesus, it is well with you.
My comment is what a tragic situation to be in, and what a terrible health care system the USA has! Don't get me wrong. I love the USA. I lived there for five years and adore the friendly, welcoming people and just about everything about your wonderful nation. However, when it comes to Health Care, it is inhumane. Where I live (in Australia), you would have this done for free, and immediately. That is how it is when any serious, potentially life-threatening health issue arises for any citizen, and that's how it should be! (Of course, our system doesn't cover just any old kind of operation - you wouldn't get a free face lift, for example, and lots of other less serious things would not be covered - but this is SERIOUS. I wish that more Americans would support a more compassionate, government funded healthy system; at least for people who are in serious situations. It must be awful to not be able to afford the necessary assistance for something so serious.