Ovarian Cysts Community
What's usually done to a 10 cm ovarian cyst causing pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I've had many ovarian cysts and infact a lot of other female problems that have caused me to have a hysterectomy about 8 years ago.  My doctor & I chose to leave one ovary, my healthiest one, so I would not have to have hormone therapy.  Because of this I have still gotten cysts, although not as many and not as frequent.  Over these last few days, about 5, I have been experiencing all the classic signs of a cyst again..pain, pressure etc.  Yesterday I ended up in the ER as my doctor was away and any other doctor couldn't get me in until this afternoon.  I had blood work done and basically just an ultrasound, which revealed a 10 cm cyst!  I heard the technician talking about how she couldn't tell what the cyst consisted of, usually they can tell if it's blood or fluid etc, but because of the size she couldn't say and now I'm extemely nervous!  Can anyone tell me what they've gone through with a cyst of such size?  Not knowing what it consists of scares me also, as I know it could also be some type of mass.  I do have a doctor's appt. this afternoon, but I would be most appreciative of any information someone may have of what they have gone through.  I've been through it all..laporoscopies, ruptured cysts with severe internal bleeding etc. but I would really like a little insight to help calm my nerves before the appt. (although I know everyone's situation is different, any input would be helpful at this time!)  Thank you so much for your quick replies.
Hi, I was just diagnosed with a 10.2cm complex cyst in my left ovary and they just scheduled me for a lapartomy with an 80% chance of a total hysterectomy on nov 8th. There is a 10% chance of cancer. They said a cyst of this size needs to come out. Stay in touch. I no how you feel
Thanks...I had a feeling that the surgery thing was going to be what I would be hearing today.  I think that's why I'm so nervous.  I've had the hysterectomy, which by the way has been a blessing, but I recently moved about 1 1/2 hours away from my gyno who I've been with for 18 yers...he's seen it all and has been through it all with me.  And now if I have to go through surgery I'm worried because the appointment today is with someone I've never seen, and now I'm seeing them with this!  AGH!  Thanks so much for your quick info.  I do appreciate it.  I will keep you in my thoughts/prayers.  (The cancer part is another thing that scares me but I don't even want to think of that right now, ya know?)  Let me know how you make out also!  Sandy
Hi! I'm so glad I found this site and I hope someone "might" have a thought on what i've been dealing with.  Feb 05' I called my family doc and told him I thought I had a kidney infection because of right side flank pain.  They found a 10cm cyst on my right ovary which 3 days later they removed laproscopy.  A month after my right flank pain returned and when I am due for my menstrual cycle my flank pain "thumps" even worse.  I have this daily but the night before my period is due - it hurts bad!  I am scheduled for another laproscopy on Friday because the new gyn who took the time to open my file said that she "thinks" something is attached to either the ureter or the bladder???  I've been to a urologist and had an IVP and he said my right kidney is "fine" ..... he wasn't very nice and made me feel like an idiot.  The past few days I've been getting sharp pains in the ovary area and now my right leg and groin are numb and like a pulling sensation.  UGH.....HELP?!
Hi, I am a nervous wreck and stumbled upon this sight. I went to my GYN (a new one) last week for a routine exam. He asked a bunch a questions: when was the last time I saw a GYN - 6 months ago, were my periods regular - yes. He then said that he wanted to send me for a pelvic sonogram and well as a transvaginal sonogram because my uterus felt enlarged. I went for those tests on Friday and the Dr. called me on Monday... He said I have a cyst on my left ovary which is between 10cm & 11cm.  He said it is a complex cyst since there is fluid as well as solid.  He sent me yesterday for blood tests (I guess those are the CA levels) and I'm scheduled for a Pelvic MRI tomorrow and an Abdominal MRI on Friday.  He said he believes the chances of it being cancer are less than 3% but regardless they won't be sure until it is removed and tested. I am going to have surgery and will probably lose my right overy. I have two children so I'm not to concerned about that. I am petrified however that they are going to tell me it is cancer.  Has anyone ever had a similar diagnosis?  What was the outcome.  I'd appreciate any info/advice.  P.S. I don't believe I had any symptoms other than some pain during sex (maybe three or four times over the past year). Thanks.
can ovarian cyst cause one not to have children in the future
Only if for some reason they have to remove both ovaries,  majority of cysts are benign and most disolve on their own.
Hi i was reacently diagnosed with several large ovarian cysts one meseuring almost 10 cm larger with several complex cystics structures attach bot postterrior and anterrior. I am have experincedalot of weight gain and i was just wondering how much weight is a direct link to the cysts and after removal what kind of weight loss should i expect if any?
Thank god i stumbled upon this site...i am 18 years old, and i went to the gyno about a month  ago, and found out i have a 10 cm ovarian cyst. being in the room all by myself, getting that news, was most definitely a shock. i couldnt believe. ME. with a ovarian cyst. Thank god that my dad works in the OR, b/c he can set me up with an amazing doctor, and a great team. but..the weird thing about my situation, is that i didnt even know it was there? i never got any pain, or discomfort as they said i should. I was reading all of your stories above, and made me feel alot better about my surgery. I didnt know other girls got 10 cm cysts also, i thought i was the only weird one ;) I was also concerned about the weight thing. I have noticed myself gaining alot of weight, but i didnt know it was from the cyst. i thought it twas from just me eating unhealthy. does anyone know if i will lose weight after the operation? I am doing it laparascopic. So i shouldnt have very visible scars.
I've just had a 16cm cyst removed a week and a half ago. Sorry to report this ladies, but, I've not lost any weight so far. Having said that I have eaten more than my normal amount of biscuits and chocolate...

Do feel free to ask me any questions about the surgery though. I had one ovary removed and have been told that it should not affect my ability to have children or bring on early menopause, as there's plenty eggs in the healthy ovary.
does pcos or pcod cause light irregular spotting?
I had an 8.5cm cyst removed 4 weeks ago now - I've lost 3kgs despite eating chocolates and bikkies!  I'm back down to my best dieting days weight, however, I still can't do my trousers.  My tummy is still sore, numb & bloated all at the same time!

I only found this site after my surgery and it continues to surprise me how many women have gone through and continue to go through similar things.  The fear of the unknown is awful and it's good to be able to share stuff that most healthy people don't want to know about.  Take care everyone.
yeah when i found this site, i was amazed! I go in for my surgery on Monday, and i am freaking out. But it makes me feel better than many other women go through this kind of thing.
I am also glad i found this site as i was panicking about a 6cm cyst. I have been in hospital twice in two weeks over the same problem but only got an ultra sound this week as i was stuffed around a bit. Now i got through christmas, in pain, now i have to face new years in pain also as the surgeon didnt think i was urgent enough to do just yet. Now i have to fly from townsville to Perth in less then two weeks and they said i wont be getting in til the end of January. should i be concerned? Will it burst in the plane and if it bursts what happens?
I have recently discovered that I have a 10cm cyst on or in my left ovary that is cheduled to be removed 1/14/08.  They do not definately see my left ovary so they don't know if it's a cyst on my ovary or if it is my actual ovary that is this 10cm cyst.  I am 23 years old and I am a nervous wreck!  I've got my Dr's talking about the slight possibilty of ovarian CA and it's really freaking me out!  I'm a nurse on an Oncology floor so that prob doesn't help but they may have to take my whole ovary if it turns out that's what is actually enlarged!  I'm def concerned about CA and about being able to have kids (which I want more than ANYTHING)  So my questions are...Did you have any other tests done prior to your surgery other than an ultrasound?  Your age?(if you don't mind)  Did u have it done laproscopic?  Any information you or anyone can give me would help so much!  Thanks in advance!
Hi, I was diagnosed with a 14x12x9 cm complex fibroid cyst on my left ovary two weeks ago. I am scheduled for surgery this Wednesday (Jan9th 08). Hopefully they will be able to remove it laproscopically but if not I will have open surgery. I have had very little symptoms besides a general feeling of fullness/bloating, frequent urge to go to the bathroom and hard, enlarged stomach. My OB/GYN says I will be able to have children even if they have to remove the left ovary. I am 33 and really want children. I will post again after my surgery. Good luck to everyone!
so i just got back from the ER after having an ultrasound done because of the intense amount of pain i was feeling in my lower right abdominal area. it turns out it is a "7cm complex adnexal mass, questionable complex cyst"...but no one bothered to tell me what that meant. i have been doing research, and have gathered that complex mean solid and cystic, and i think that andexal mass means it's not in the ovary but on top or near it...not sure though. the doctor told me nothing about surgery and said it might just resolve itself, as in get absorbed back into my body, but the research i've seen says that most functional cysts that do that have no pain symptoms and aren't larger than 5 to 7 cm...and i'm at 7 and only been feeling this pain for 4 days! i'm really worried, and my mom, who's a nurse and could help is in NY for another week, so i have no one to give me advice or feedback. if any of you have any tips or advice or similar experience, that's be great, as i'm 19 years old and very scared. thanks!
A weeks wait for your Mother will  do no harm, most cysts larger than 5cm, especially complex ones,  do not "go away" but should be followed closely and most likely removed by scope surgery. Go to a good GYN doctor when your Mother returns, take her with you, they will probably want another Ultra sound, a pelvic. Yes adnexal means on the outside of the ovary.

Types of cysts
Sometimes, the follicle in an ovary will not rupture and release an egg. The follicle will keep growing and turn into a cyst. These cysts often disappear on their own within a few months and don't cause any symptoms.

When a follicle has ruptured and released an egg, it begins to produce hormones. These hormones prepare your uterus for conception. If the opening that the egg escaped through seals itself, fluid can build up and swell into a cyst. (This is called a corpus luteum cyst.) It usually disappears within a few weeks. Sometimes these cysts grow much bigger than the ovary. They bleed into themselves or twist the ovary. This is painful. If a blood-filled cyst ruptures, it will cause sudden, sharp pain. A corpus luteum cyst does not negatively affect a pregnancy.

Not that I suspect you have OVCA, but it is always a good idea to have a consult with a GYN/Onocologist, OVCA is rare, but you do list several of the main symptoms that we look for. As one lady on here will tell you, you only have one chance to get it right with this. At the very least, tell your surgeon you would like for one to be standing by on call just incase there is something suspecious in there. An Onocologist has 3 years more training and is better qualified for cleaning up the abdomen. Good Luck on your surgery and be sure to let us know how it all comes out.
It's been a week from my surgery and everything went very well. I had an equivalent of a C-section to remove the large ovarian cyst. The doctor was able to save my left ovary and fallopian tube (the right ovary was not affected) and remove the whole cyst. It was a large dermoid cyst with (sorry, this is gross) hair, fat cells and a tooth. It was not cancerous. What a relief, everything has gone so well. I am still sore and getting over the surgery but to still be able to have children is the most important thing to me. Good luck to everyone!
What a relief! I hope you continue to recovery quickly and without pain. With love, Deandra
Can anyone lemme know what should be the minimum size of a cyst which is near the left ovary to get it operated. My cyst as off now is very small, but i have bad pain near that area. Does this cyst grow or harm? I am a dancer also, will I have to stop dancing or is it gonna harm me in other way? How do I get off it?
Wow!  I just came across this site, and I now feel a sudden relief that I'm not alone.   I was diagnosed with a 10 centimeter Ovarian cyst on my right ovary just recently.  Plus 7 small ones on my left.  I've had 3 surgery's to remove prior cysts.  Now this will be my forth.  I have dealt with Ovarian Cyst for YEARS!  It's miserable! Every month at ovulation time I would have EXTREME pain, migraines, loss of hair, vomiting, and weird cravings. Does anyone else experience the intense migraines?
Ok Take a deep breath! Now ,I had a septated complex cystic mass and guess what? It turned out now to be cancer ( I had three docs tell me it looked like cancer and I even had to have a oncology gyn do my surgery)  So this is not a for sure thing yet!   I went through the whole christmas thinking it could be my last ...so  I do not want you to go through that fear!!  I am here to tell you there is HOPE!!!   I had alot of people praying for me and I swear I believe that is what changed my outcome.  I mean really how many times does three seperate doctors tell you it really looks like cancer and they send you to a oncologist who specializes in ovarian cancer and even she says it very well may be cancer and goes through the whole staging  thing with you but in the end it is a cystic mass which had been bleeding internally into my ab. cavity( I had a lot of adhessions though!) You can email me if you choose to and I swear I will  tell you truthfully anything you ask me.   I also will say a prayer for you ( whether you believe in God and power of prayer or not it will cause you no harm)  I certainly am not trying to go all religous on you but if you feel like I did you probulary will not  mind that prayer being sent up on your behalf!  
I posted in early Jan when I found out I had a 14x12x9 cm cyst and again after my surgery (similar to a C-section). The doctor said it had grown a lot in the couple of weeks from the diagnosis to the surgery. The surgery went great, they saved my ovary and everything is healed but I feel like my stomach is growing again. I can´t tell if it is just the bloating/swelling from surgery. But my scar is totally fine (pelvic area) but my stomach is large/swollen (bellybutton area). Does anyone know how long it takes for your stomach to go back down after removal of large cyst? The doctor did cut into my stomach muscle but not through it. Am I just being impatient? I am getting nervous that I have another cyst growing and tired of my clothes not fitting (been wearing pregnancy pants since the surgery). Thanks and much luck to everyone.
As long as it was benign,I would think swelling is due to the surgery. I would check with your dr tho to be sure
Has anyone had Endometriosis as well as a cyst?
My doctor feels that is why my CA-125 blood test result was high.  
My right ovary is essentially gone and taken over by a 10cm complex mass.  The week after my period is the worst.  Extreme lower back pain and trouble going to the restroom.  I've had a CT scan and an MRI so far.  They want me to have a barium enema next to see if the Endometriosis has affected my colon or bowl.  Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide.  Best wishes and hugs to you all.  I know that we are all pretty scared right now.  Laura      

I have endometriosis (not really sure what stage i'm at now).  I've had a ruptured cyst and last week i was told i have a cyst on my left ovary the size of an orange (not sure cm size).  The doctor wanted to wait for this weeks menstrual cycle in hopes it will decrease.  I go back on Wed.  i too have low back pain, pain down my leg (mainly all on the left side).  Last night i was screaming because the pain was so bad.  I felt like i had to go to the bathroom, but couldn't.  Eventually I did, but the pain was extreme.  Today i'm feeling ok.  I feel like something on the left side is off, but i'm trying not to let my mind take over on this too much.  However, pain is pain.  So, that's my story.  Do you know if you have endo as well?
I have just found out i have a 13.5x12x8.2cm cyst on my right ovary. I have been to the hospital twice in the last few days. One doc told me that if you go for another ultrasound and it shows that it went down in size dont worry about just leave it alone. I went for my ultrasound and it showed that the size now is 11x10x8.2cm still quite large but decreased in size a little. The doc at the hospital where I had the second ultrasound done told me that I should get it removed.

Problem is I am going away in about a week or to Europe and I will be gone for 2 and a half months (I would be able to get help where i am going b/c it's a second home to me)

Also, a good family friend has a friend thats a doc and he spoke with a gyne for more information and he said that i dont need to have it removed and he is going to give me medication I am assuming to reduce the size of the cyst. Has anyone ever had meds to make the cyst go away??

And is it safe to fly while having an ovarian cyst present??
Pls any information ASAP would b greatly appreciated thanks a bunch xxx
I started my period in January and it didn't stop until June. Turns out I have a 8cm cyst on my ovary. They said it looks like the right ovary but it is kind of situated between the two ovaries. 3 mths ago when I had the ultrasound they discovered this and apparenly it looks like it might be filled with blood. I had to have a follow up ultrasound yesterday and nothing has changed. I asked if they were going to remove it and the dr. at the hospital where I had the ultrasound done said they will follow up with me in 3 mths. Now my main concern is what if this breaks? I am not in any pain, but can this be something more then a cyst?? Why are they waiting so long? Though there is no pain, I do know that I have gained weight. I am already overweight, I can't afford to gain more! I also feel bloated and full even if I haven't eaten! I start to get pains in the lower back if I am standing still for a little while or when I have to have a bowel movement the pain in my back is really bad, is that normal?? I feel like I can't get any satisfaction from these doctors at all!! Thank you for any help, information or advice you can give!!! Good luck everyone!!! :-)
My mom who is 58 recently had a CT scan, her CA level was 500.  They found fluid in her abdomen and 3 different masses in her pelvic area.  Our family doc basically told her with all the symptoms she is having, the bloating, bathroom problems, fullness, etc, that it is ovarian cancer.  My entire family is freaked out, she cannot get into the oncologist until a week from friday!  
He wrote a script for a PET scan and she is really afraid to go, as well all dont want to hear any more bad news.

Does this really mean she has cancer?  Because of what our primary doc told us?  

Hi, Just wanted to post some good news. A year ago I had a large cyst removed and the ovary was saved and I managed to get pregnant about 5 months later. My beautiful baby boy was born a month ago. Best wishes to everyone.

Kolla
I don't know if you realized it, but you posted onto a post made in 2005.
You'll have much better success of getting responses if you start a new thread by making this a new question.

I understand that your family, and your Mom are frightened and very upset by what thedoctor said, he is not a specialist and should not have made a diagnosis of her condition.

Ovarian cancer cannot be diagnosed untl the GYN/ONC surgeon performs surgery, and the pathology lab looks at the specimins the surgeon sends.You have to convince your Mom to go for the scan, then the oncologist will have more information to go over.

Did Mom have a transvaginal ultrasound, if so get the results and a copy of the CA125 to take to the oncologist with her.
I'm sure she won't be going alone, and that's great, she'll need the support and someone to remember what the doctor says.
Please post your question at the top of the page where it says, post question.
Good luck and keep in touch,
.... Jane
Well mine went from 8 to 31 in two years. I am really freaking out right now. I am only 24. I may even have to loose my whole ovary.

Great to find somewhere where I do not feel alone.

I just wondered about others experiences of ovarian cysts and hysterectomy were. Has anyone had to choose between cystectomy and hysterectomy?

I have cysts on both ovaries, one is 3.6 cm and the other a bouncing 17x15x11cm. They want to do a hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo oopherectomy. Looking at the posts it seems many other women have had cystectomies.

I have had 2 ca125 tests, both above normal but not amazingly high and surgeon thinks cysts are benign (phew) as one has got so big and not causing really nasty additional symptoms except cyst is very uncomfortable and often painful.

It is ultimatley my choice, and I am not keen on a hysterectomy, but am confused. Those that have had cystectomies only, have you had recurrant cysts? I am having a lovely vertical abdominal incision to get the biggun out..and i think the surgeon thinks take it all out now (i am 42 and had my family). Also he says could get more cysts and i will lose one ovary anyway.

Any info would be great. really confused as to what to do.

sarah
I would be asking your doctor why a hysterectomy?  It's probably enough to remove the cyst and affected ovary.  To prevent future cyst problems the second ovary is often recommended for removal, but that triggers menopause or adds the need for HRT.  Why the uterus and tubes, too?  Unless you have additional problems that are not described here, it seems like more surgery than needed.  

As for the incision, the vertical incision is actually better than a horizontal one for recovery.  Not disagreeing with your doctor, necessarily, but these are questions you need to be asking when weighing your options.

My doctor and I discussed all the options, including hysterectomy.  I was almost inclined to say "take it all out" but he was the one that felt it was more than required.  I ended up with the vertical incision and oophorectomy to remove both ovaries and the cyst.  It was a big enough procedure without adding to it!
I'm scared to death.  I recently was diagnosed with a complex septated mass measuring 10 cm.  I had a hysterectomy february 2008 via laparatomy.  now my doctor wants to perform another laparatomy to remove the mass as well as the ovaries.  What's making it worst is that my doctor seems very anxious for me to get this taken care of, however, I was under the impression that many of these cysts are not cancerous.  I have opted to have the surgery in July 2009 (approx. 2 months away) and for a lack of better works, my gyn is FURIOUS and says I am not being smart to prolong the surgery because they are not quite sure what it is.  possibilities included cystedemonas, endometrioisis and pelvic tumor.  Not be cavalier about it, but he seems to be very upset with me because I want to wait, and making me ever the more anxious.  any help is greatly appreciated.
Hey I know this is a old post but I just wanted to ask you how the surgery turned out afterwards. I am 14 and I am going next Friday the 22 to have a sist that the doctor actually called a tumor that is 22.7 cm removed from my right ovary. It has grown all the way into my stomach and is actually larger than a basketball. If you could give me any advice on what to expect and what to do after the surgery it would be great appreciated. My doctor said that most people my age don't get these as they usually occur in older women but hey the surgery is the surgery and I'm sure you could give me some insight.

Thanks,
Katie
  Just had same type of cyst removed last week. Mine was a bit smaller than yours, was 8x6x5. My docs didnt want me to wait for very long either, however they were ok with 2 wks to 1 month to see if it would decrease or go away. Problem is that once they get above 3cm they usually get larger rather than better. Mine grew apx 1 cm a month, but each person is different of coarse. As they get larger they can put pressure on other vital organs in there,so I was told. As for being cancerous they also told me they usually are not but risk go up depending on age as well as personal & family history.
  May I ask what was the reason for your histerectomy?
CAN YOU BECOME PREGNANT AFTER A OVARIAN CYST HAS BEEN REMOVED?
I HAVE A QUESTION, SEE IM 22 WITH MY SECOND CHILD. LAST YEAR I HAD MISCARRIED AND MY HUSBAND AND I WERE VERY UPSET ABOUT IT. SO THIS YEAR WERE BEING VERY CAREFUL, WELL YESTERDAY I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN IT EVEN HURT TO DRIVE. BECAUSE WHEN I DID THE BACK OF MY SEAT WOULD TOUCH MY BACK WHICH MADE HE HAVE VERY BAD PAIN. WELL I ENDED UP IN THE ER TO THEN FIND OUT I HAVE A CYST, THEY DIDNT TELL ME THE SIZE OF IT OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT BUT IM SO WORRIED. WILL THIS AFFECT MY BABY?
Can't believe I am just now seeing your posting......
To answer your question, hysterectomy was mainly due to very large fibroids (had a mymectomy in 2005).

My laparatomy is scheduled for July 10th.  Not looking forward to the surgery, but ready to get rid of the pain and anxiety.
Hello, I am 33 yrs of age and this am I had an ultra-sound due that I had an abnormal papsmere few weeks ago.  They told me I've got a 10 ct mass in one of my ovaries and that I need to have surgery done asap.  I am sooooo scared, confused, surprised, shocked, etc.   I have an appt w/a specialist next Friday.  Any hep?  Please!  I need some advice.  Anyone know how this surgery's take place?

Thanks!  
Hi All,

I'm 25 and have just found out I have 3 cysts on my ovaries. One measures 10cm and they're eager to take them out asap. Clearly I'm concerned about having children, etc...but what actually lead me to this diagnosis is 18 months of severe bloating and an oversized stomach. Specialists couldn't figured out what was wrong with me and it was actually my very own research that lead to these findings. The huge stomach REALLY got me down as I have a small frame and lived in constant fear that people would think I look pregnant, I'd even hold in my stomach whilst eating :(

Therefore, my question to you that have had surgery, is whether the bloating and enlarged stomach goes away after the cysts are removed ?
Hi all,

As I'm reading through your posts, I get madder and madder and more hopeful at the same time. I'm 42 now, but have had bleeding problems since I was a teen. God my period at 12 and was fine until I was 13/4 when I started bleeding lightly all the time. My mom got me to a doctor to start on the pill but I was scared to take it since I wasn't having sex. So I continued having bleeding problems and it kept getting heavier and heavier. I'd still do what I needed to do, cheerlead, whatever, but always in the back of my mind was this bleeding. My mom finally took me to another doctor who gave me progesterone pills to take the first 10 days and that helped. This was early 1986.

I was doing find until 1988, when I started seeing my now husband. We were at my dad's during the beginning of Spring Break and started hemorrhaging so much so I ended up in the hospital. I was about to start on the pill and the doctor said I had an ectopic pregnancy, but have not idea.

Took the pill for 10 years and from 1998-2002 I was fine. But in 2002, I started bleeding really heavily again went to a new doctor. She gave me the progesterone again, but it had the opposite effect of making me bleed really, really heavy. Went to my old doctor and had an endometriotomy to check for cancer, clear, had a HSG, where they put a dye in my uterus to check things out, nothing unusual. Yada, yada, D&C, another D&C...went to another doctor. Also had tests to make sure my endocrinology was OK, and it was slightly off, but not crazy.

Had very intense pain and extremely heavy bleeding He sent me to a group to ostensibly look into this, but all they wanted me to do was get pregnant w/ IVF. Stopped seeing him. While I was interested in getting pregnant, I didn't want to do IVF and felt I was being pressured to do something I wasn't interested in.

Left that doctor. Later went to another specialist, and he found some endometriosis (mother had this and had hysterectormy) and had laporscopic surgery. Ended up doing insemination w/ him but didn't take. Finally ended up back with the IVF group and tried a few times getting almost pregnant in 2008. Tried once more. Last year, I was still having bleeding problems so I ended up going to another doctor and he took out a septum that was dividing my cervix.

Still more bleeding and on-going pain. Went for a sonogram/ultrasound in February and a cyst w/in a cyst in back of my right ovary, I forget how large it is, but I'm probably going in for surgery again this week to remove it. Not sure what to expect. How could this have been missed; could it have have been there the whole time?

I feel bloaty, and gassy a lot so I'm hoping that some of that will be taken care of as well, but see by many of the comments that possibly not. The doctor will also check for more endometriosis.

My cousin who is 5 years younger had some endometriosis removed and then got pregnant about 7 months later, although I'm thinking that's not going to be me. :(

Thanks for listening to my story and feel incredibly inspired by everyone else's stories and knowing that i'm not alone! Just can't believe doctors haven't figured things out since it's not like these are unknown things (I also have a bicornate uterus...).

I'm also trying to get a friend to do more to find out what's up with her issues since they're much like mine.
I feel so much better after reading all of your stories. I am 32 and I have 2 fibroid's that are 10cm each on my uterus. I have to get them surgically removed. I have no kids and I really, really want kids.
I will keep you posted on how things go.
(April 5 2010)
Hi All,
Thank you for your postings.  I have uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts as well. I am learning from everyone's experiences and feeling some hope.  My regular GYN said I did not need surgery unitl after I get pregnant he can remove the fibroids & cysts but I'm getting a lot of pelvic & side pain & also deferred pain under my ribs sometimes.  I decided to make an appt with an OBGYN surgeon for minimally invasive surgery to have these taken out and get it biopsied.  I'm anxious to hear what this OBYN surgeon has to say.  Even if my regular OBGYN does not suspect any cancerous cysts but I still insisted to have CA 125 test although it will go up for having fibroids but there is still a range for them to determine if there are any cancerous cells.  I will post again after meeting with the surgeon.

concerned woman
Hey ladies. I'm 26 and have a 8cm tumor on my ovary which they think is either a complex cyst, fibroid... or hopefully nothing worse than that.  I'm choosing surgery to get the tumor out bc I really don't want it in there! It's gross! Hoping they can save my ovary though. Consultation tomorrow. Good luck my friends :)
Im currently fifteen years old and was diagnosed with a 8 cm cyst on my left ovary, I am meeting with my specialist tomorrow, but i was wondering if i should expect the answer of surgery? I dont have a regular period, i get some intense pain and other symptoms aswell at times . What would you expect the doctor to tell me?
Hi there everyone,
About one month ago I went in for my yearly exam and my doctor felt a growth on my left side.  It was tender to the touch and when we discussed it I have had ongoing low back pain and brownish discharge for weeks after my periods for over a year now.  She sent me for an ultrasound and while there they also did an internal one.  The results came back that I have a rather large cyst on my left ovary, a rather large fibroid on my uterus (which they also discovered is retroverted) and a cyst on my kidney.  I am going for a follow-up ultrasound in about 3 weeks to see if there are any changes.  What worries me is that about 2 weeks ago my husband and I had sex and I was in a lot of pain afterwards.  My abdomen has become so distended that none of my pants are comfortable to wear and even my kids think I'm pregnant.  My lower back ache is constant and  I now have aching legs.  The other morning I was able to feel what I think is my left ovary and it feels large and very sore.  Do you think I should try to see my doctor sooner or just wait and go to my ultrasound in 3 weeks.  I know I've been rambling but I'm starting to get a little worried.
I have a 10cm cyst on my left ovary - I found out back in 2010 - but I can not afford the surgery to get it taken out, like my GYN says it needs to be.  I have been trying for financial help, but I am in the middle class, so apparently I make to much.  I am bloated all the time and I can't lose weight in my midsection........I go through a lot of pain whenever it feels like acting up..........any suggestions on how I can get help to have this done?  I have tried Medicaid and my county for help with no luck.................

TigressNme, I am so sorry to hear that. I am assuming that you do not have health insurance... would you be able to afford one? I found health insurance coverage online at one time through www.ehealthinsurance.com I was able to find something that met my needs and that I could afford. Your cyst will most likely fall under a pre-existing condition and they would not cover for 12 months if you have lapse of health insurance (62 or more days without health insurance), but it is better than nothing.
I would also look for a planned parenthood in your area and see if they could help.
Thank you for your advice.......... I am currently trying for Medically needy right now...........will let ya know how it goes :-)
Sorry, had your name wrong - see what happens when you are not wearing your glasses - LOL
Reading all the comments have been helpful. I'm 34 yrs old and I'm 8wks pregnant with my second child. And I found out that I have a 10cm cyst on my left ovary. I also, had a cyst with my first pregnancy as well but it wasn't 10cm until I was 20wks and it didn't grow to much more throught my pregnancy. They didn't remove the cyst because I only have one ovary. When I was 14 I had a cyst that weight 20lbs and grew in my right ovary so it had to be removed.

After my first cyst I was always worried I wouldn't be able to have kids even thought the doctors told me I shouldn't have any problems. I have to say I don't have any problems conceiving but I seem to have problems whenever my hormone levels increase.

There is a risk of loosing the baby if we try and remove the cyst while I'm pregnant and since I only have one ovary we opted to wait to have the cyst removed until I deliever. We will have a c-section and at that time they will remove the cyst as well.
how did your surgery go. was there any cancer involved. I'm nervous now because I have a 9cm and is due surgery/
Hello all,

I am really scared and worried at this time. At 6 weeks pregnancy i was diagnosed with a 5 cm cyst. After a week an ultrasound on urgent basis to check cyst and to keep an eye on the cyst was performed whch shows it has grown to 15% in just 5 days reaching a size of 6.4cm. This is my first pregnancy I am really super excited but also worried about this cyst. I have an appoint with dr on Friday. Plz guide n help if anyone else also experience such kind of a problem..
yes i get overian cyst all the time on my right and sometimes on my left that are always 10 to 12 cm i hurt all the time i am moody all the time i cry all the time and i get uti all the time from them pushing on my blater i can't spell lol i do not have ins. so they would always tell me to take pain meds and go home from the er it dose scary me because what if having so miny over the past 6 years what can it do can it cause cancer over time all i know is that nothing works i have tried all kinds of meds nothing work and doctors will not take them out with out 10,000 dollars or more and the ones that act like they will help find out i don't have ins. kinda look at you like well sorry deal with it and i make just a few dollars to much to get help from the state going thur this makes me lose fath in almost everything when i am not at work i am in bed with pain or so down i don't do nothing if anyone knows what will help please tell me i live in texas
My cyst grew from 7cm to 10cm in just a few months, i have a doc appt today to get checked out, My doc said it must come out and i'm scared :(
Does the surgery hurt, how long are you out of work?
I too feel your pain...I do not have health insurance and I know I need surgery to have my cysts removed on both of my ovaries.  I am at my wits end now and all I can do is pray.  I have developed a horrible cough now along with the horrible pelvic and lower back pains.  All I want to do is sleep...I pray that you and I be healed and set free from cysts and growths in our bodies in Jesus' name.  Amen.  Keep the faith Stout...don't give up.
Hi, I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with 3 cysts in my right ovary, the largest being 10cm. I'm waiting to hear back from a specialist to find out whats gonna happen! I just had a few questions, what will most likely happen? And should I try not to do any heavy lifting or running, jumping etc. And I'll still be able to have kids right? Thanks.
When cysts are larger than 10cms they usually remove them with a laprascope. Many times they can just take the cyst and leave behind the ovary. Worse case scenario, you'll lose the ovary BUT you will still have a healthy ovary left, so you could still get pregnant. You don't need to take precautions,however, if you get acute pain, call the doctor asap. What you want to prevent is an ovarian torsion (twisting) which will kill the ovary.  Large cysts may cause a torsion,so that is why they need to remove them.
Thanks for replying. I've read on many websites, when the cyst is removed with laproscopy, it just grows back later. Is this true? And if it could possibly rupture, do you know what would be done? Thank you so much.
i read your post about the cystic mass. i had last monday ultrasound and ct scan. reports say adnexal mass with solid and cystic components and a fluid called ascites in my abdomen and tht it s most most likely cancer. i am seeing the oncologist this coming thursday and will most likely have surgery soon. and did you find out that your cystic mass was not cancer?
i would appreciate if you can let me know. thank you
Misha at ***@****
ive got a 13cm cyst in my right ovary but dosent know weather to have sergary or not proper scared that i wont wake up or i will pass away during the op any advice girls and guys realy ned it thanks
Hello to Eveyone,

I am 21 years old, i was diagnosed with mono on May 2 2012 and went to the ER on May 19 2012, with bad abdominal pain and back pain, For the past year i have actually always had weird pains in my stomach but didnt really think much of it. I went to the ER on the 19th because i knew i had mono and thinking maybe my spleen ruptured cause of all the pain i had, I ended up doing a CT scan and they ended up finding a mass/tumor, i was in shock, scared, i totally went there thinking it was my spleen and then left the ER with a Tumor that may be cancerous. I got set up with an OBGYN and did an ultrasound and i have a 10cm Tumor on my left ovary, and i also have a fluid in my abdomen and they did a vaginal biopsy, which was very painful, they are sending my fluid to a UNV Hospital in Denver Colorado, to be tested for cancer and to find out what kind of fluid it is, im very nervous, and praying that i am not going to have cancer....After reading some of the post i learned that alot of times they will not even know if it is cancerous until after the mass/tumor is removed??...i know i will be needing surgery to remove the large 10cm tumor..but i was under the impression that they would know i had cancer by testing the fluid from my abdomen...would love some insight from some ladys going through the same situation i am in! :) hugs to everyone, and lots of love and prayers!

-Amanda<3
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone - I have a 10cm cyst on my left and a 5cm on my right - I was scheduled for surgery, but the hospital would not take my low down payment(no insurance).  I am still fighting to get it done.  I am always tired and sometimes the pain is unbearable,  Good luck to you as well......
I have just found out I have 10cm cyst on my right ovary still in a bit of shock and scared I bleed throughout the month. I am am reassued to know I am not the ony one scared
I just found out I have an 13 cm cysts and I am soo scared.I only have one little girl and still want another..please someone tell me what's going to happen.
Hi, Im 46 years old and for the past couple of years have had a lot of pain in my stomach and groin area. I finally decided to go to the ER after the pain git bad. The diagnosed me with having a 10in by 7in cyst on my pelvic areas..My question is ..has anyone ever had a cyst that big and had surgery for it.My dr has me scheduled for MRI and then surgery.
please help me i am ten and i have a cyst its been there for like a year and it isunt going away i took eye drops diddint work so i went to a specialest and they said i need to have surgerey well so ya im still on the waiting list and now i see onother on growing!!!!1 please help me
I found out last month I have a 10cm cyst on my ovary. I'm scheduled for surgery on 10/8/12 to remove it and both ovaries. I had a partial hysterectomy in 2003. I am 49 now, I had 2 ectopic pregnancies prior to 2003 so I don't have any tubes. I was in shock of the news, I haven't had symptoms. I do go to the bathroom frequently but I thought it was due to drinking water. I noticed that when I went for the ultrasound the technician told me I hadn't emptied my bladder when I had just gone. Maybe the cyst has been causing me not to be able to empty it fully. I requested the surgery in October because I had some things planned and the doctor said it was okay. This also gives my son time to fly from Chicago to Florida to assist me for a few days after surgery. He was there for me through the other surgeries. I've been praying and trusting God to bring me through this as He did in the past with the other surgeries. They did a CA-125 test and it was normal, thank God. I am hoping I will not have to go through another large incision and it will be small below my navel. My concern is the scar tissue being in the way from the previous surgeries. I also had my son via C-section. So I have 2 bikini cuts, 1 long abdomen cut, 1 small one below the navel. Scar tissue everywhere and I thought my days of having surgery were over. My only hope is in God, He is a Healer and a miracle worker. I will be praying for you Len and everyone that has posted here. It's only because of God's grace did I have 1 son. I had a miscarriage and I had two failed attempts at IVF. I'm so thankful to God for my son. One thing I know for sure, God will only allow what is best for us even if we don't agree with it at the time. My favorite scripture is Romans 8:28, all things work together for good, for those that love God, for those that are called according to His purpose. I have to thank God for everything life has given me, the good and the bad. That's help me stay in peace. Love D    
I had a 10cm cyst removed 18 years ago, along with half my right ovary. I also have been born with one kidney and a bicornate uterus, making pregnancy unlikely and high risk. We have two healthy beautiful daughters. I have had additional cysts that rupture or subside on their own. I currently have a complex hemmoragic cyst that is being watched. Dr wants me to have ultrasounds 6-8 weeks. Sadly I can no longer afford the tests, but my pain intensity is increasing. I dont know what to do
I was in the ER last night. Pain and bloating just feel crappy. They found a bleeding cyst on my ovary. No more info than that from the ER doc, but to see a GYN in the next 7 days. I have an appt in the am, but I am a little nervous. I know most are not cancer, but we have a long history of cancer in the family. Looking things up the systoms are the same as ovaian cancer? Anybody have an thoughts?
hello
my name is jennifer i am 32 years old and i was just old that i have a 3.5 cm cyst on my right overy and a bunch on my left overy and the one my dr is concerned about is 11cm and is sending me to a specialist and i a terrified cancer runs on both sides of my family i and scared that they are going to tell me it is cancer or thati will never be able to have children which will devistate me , someone please tell me the truth of what i am fixing to go through here.