Ovarian Cysts Community
internal bleeding due to ruptured cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

internal bleeding due to ruptured cyst

In December, my husband rushed me to the ER b/c of serious abdominal pain!  I tried to tough it out at home for about 3 hours, but it got to the point where I could not take the pain anymore.  At the ER they told me to take a seat and fill out paperwork, fortunatley my husband had the brains to tell the triage nurse that I was having trouble breathing, which was true(this got me seen asap)!  Of course the docs thought I had appendicitis b/c my WBC was over 18,000, they ordered a CT and Ultrasound.  The CT revealed that I had free fluid in the abdomen and pelvic regions, and that I had cysts on my right ovary, and a possible ruptured cyst on the left ovary.  The GYN said he wanted to perform laproscopic surgery and take a look around and he said he might have to remove my left ovary.  He said it would be quick an easy surgery and that I would be up and about in a no time ( I have a 10 yr. old son to take care of and I am a full time student, I needed a quick recovery).  Well, I wake up 3 hours later and find out I had a laparotomy and that my left fallopian tube and ovary had to be removed. Apparently my ovary was destoryed and the bleeding could not be stopped.  I lost about 37% of my total blood vol. When I got the pathology reports back, all that was reported on was the tube and part of my ovary (no cancer, Yeah!!) but nothing was documented about the cyst, actually the report said that the etiology of the hemmorhage was unknown!!  What??  At my post-op check up, the doctor didn't seemed too concerned, and never even mentioned I had a cyst on my right ovary.  I only know about it because I ordered my med. records.  Sorry for all the backstory, but I have had a hard time finding anyone else who has gone through this.   I know cysts come an go, but I am afraid of going through this experience again.  I know it is unlikely, but every time I get a pain on lower right side I get nervous. I also feel like I am PMSing all the time.  I'm so tired of feeling twinges of pain, being grouchy, and feeling alone.  My husband tries to understand, but after all he is a man! I also have a history of uterine polyps,(surgically removed) and I feel like one day my uterus and ovary are going to gang up on me again.  I wish the doc. would have just taken everything, and I would not have to worry anymore!!  I already feel hormonally imbalanced, could menopause be that much worse??   So if there is anyone out there who can relate please write back.  Sorry that I  have babbled so much, this is my first time to post, I promise to keep it short and sweet from now on.
Hi Jen, it sounds like what you have gone through is already enough pain to cover the 4-6 recovery period for a complete hysterectomy!  And I'm sorry you had to experience it.

But the doctor's are smart to leave in some female organs (Marty, where are you?)
because each and every part has a role to play, besides the baby making bit we all know about.  

I just had a full abd. hysterectomy 04/08.  My story is 46 pre-menopausal woman, obese, diabetes, HBP, beyond child bearing (3 lovely daughters).  They found a large dermoid cyst on my ovary in ER (I had same symptoms you explained above).
I had a trans vag. ultrasound (2 actually), a CA125 (10).  Because I am so fat, when I consulted with my GP, GYN, and Oncologist, we decided that we should only do the surgery once, since surgery in and of itself it risky for a 350 pound woman.

So, I have all my bits removed, right?  And I'm healing better than could be expected.
Praise God.  All reports came back negative.  But I got my staples out yesterday, and the oncologist said there was the dermoid (about the size of a fist), and multiple fibroids, and a teratoma (whatever THAT is).  None of that was mentioned prior to the surgery, and makes me even more grateful the whole kit is gone.

I have been reading though, that your body needs all the stuff it starts out with.  Live your ovaries, for hormones, your uterus for babies & whatever else it might do, even your cervix plays dual roles.

So while I agree you might want to consider having the whole kit removed like I did, you might benefit from researching what the individual parts do for your body prior to saying "take it all".

Press on with your doctor about your options.  If he does not completely satisfy you, guess what?  You can choose another one!  Doctors who don't satisfy you are a dime a dozen.  Find one who cares about you... and takes the time to listen.

Sorry my response was so babbly, this is my first time to respond to your post and I promise to keep it short and sweet from now on (but my fingers are crossed).

Keep us posted!
Morrowville
Hi and welcome!!!! Everything Morrowville said sounds RIGHT ON!!!! You really do need the "girlie parts"  you have left if it is possible to keep them. You may want to have your doc order a trans vaginal ultra-sound for you. That is going to give hin/her a good idea of what is going on with your right ovary cyst-wise. Then, you both, can keep an eye on it for growth or it may even disappear. It is not at all uncommon to have two TV/US a month apart to check for that specifically.

Your fear is understandable. No one would ever want to go through what you went through once, much less, twice. So, as Morrowville said, press on. Get a second opinion if need be. You don't want to feel pms-y ALL the time. That 'ole cyst could be very well causing that and you and it should not be ignored. Good Luck and we are all here if you need us!!!!! Have a good weekend!

Hugs,
Shari
First of all, I'm sorry you had to go through that!! I wish I had info to help, but i can at least tell you my experiences and what I've been told. Mabye it will help, maybe not, or someday someone else will read it, who knows?
Anyway, two things, still a bit of a mystery... Ok, lets get the 'embarasssing' part over with first.... one night after intercourse I saw watery blood, thought it was from my husband, I freaked and told him he needed to get checked right away!!. Turns out it was from me...oops! Ruptured cyst is the only explanation I have been given so far.( Sorry to gross out or embarrass anyone, glad you can't see my redface as I type this... :o)

Then, shortly after, I experienced that terrible pain you described, only I foolishly waited it out and didn't go to the ER. It finally was the kick in the butt that I needed to go see the doctor though... turns out it was a twisted ovary. Luckily it untwisted or my tale would be exactly the same as yours. They said next time it would be emergency surgery.

Now, for the one ovary part, I did ask about that, and my doc told me that if I left the remaining one, it would eventually compensate for the other, but that I might experience menopausal symptoms for a few months. So if you are feeling like you are PMSing all the time, that is probably it. I hope it goes away for you soon, it's enough for you to go through all this, have a young child (my youngest is 8, I hear ya...) AND go to school! I am feeling very PMSy myself and wonder if the cysts are messing with my hormones also or if I am just anxious about all this. I would love to hear y'alls theorys on that one!(how'd ya like my y'alls, not bad for a Cdn, eh? haha)  Anyway, to recap so you don't have to reread my posts, uterus is already gone and I am taking out both o's to avoid future troubles, like you said, but this was not an easy decision for me to make. Everyone is different. Just read as much as you can. And get that vagultrasound for sure if you can, at least for your peace of mind. The more you know the better you are prepared.

I hope this helps, if not you, or someone else, and again, sorry for the "details", all in the name of science, right girls?
You have sex?  Wow!  I wish I could say I have sex... but the doctor says no sex for 8-12 weeks!  YIKES?  

I guess I have to agree I wouldn't want any of the careful repair work they did in there (complete hyst & ooph) to get messed up.

I just want to remind anyone who had surgery NOT to have sex... NO SEX... until the doctor gives you the go ahead.

Laughingly,
Morrowville
I'm glad you posted.  I just went through the same thing this week.  I waited the pain out through the night and actually had a seizure because of how low my blood pressure was due to all of the internal blood loss.  Though my surgeon was actually able to stop the bleeding without removing anything, I was still curious as to why he did not remove the cysts let alone my ovaries.  
I had the exact same thing happen to me in 2010. During intercourse, I had severe pain in my abdomen. I could not move out of the fetal position because I was in so much pain. I tried sucking it up and dealing with it for almost 26 hours but once I turned almost green and my stomach was swollen, I was rushed to the ER. Once there, they did many tests and after an ultrasound, rolled me straight to the OR to do a unilateral salpingo oopherectomy. They removed my Fallopian tube and an ovary. They assumed I had a cyst that ruptured during sex, which in turn caused my ovary and Fallopian tube to rupture. My stomach was so swollen due to internal bleeding and they said that if I had laid there a few more hours that I would have "bled out." I know you posted this in 2008 but I wanted to share for anybody else needing answers or just someone who experienced the same thing. Oh, and I had my son in 2011! :)