Ovarian Cysts Community
recurring ovarian cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

recurring ovarian cysts

I am 32 and for the last three years I have started having problems with ovarian cysts.  Pain ranges from dull ache to crippling spasms that make me double over and unable to move.  I have had four cysts ...all on my right ovary.  I have had three of them rupture which is agony.  I have tried taking contraceptive pills but they didnt make any difference.  I had a plaproscopy and had a cyst drained but it returned three weeks later as big as it was  before the op...the doctor offered to do op again that day but I felt there was no point in going through the op again when it didnt work.  I then tried deca peptyl injection for three monthe which is supposed to mimic  the menopause and cause the cyst to shrink.  This injection had awful side effects and the cyst actually got bigger!!  I have had to put my foot down with the consultant and argue that i want my right ovary removed because I feel as if I have moissed out on three years of my life and I cant faace the pain of this for the next 15-20 years.  Has anyone else had one ovary out?  Do your hormones drop noticeably or does the other ovary take over and keep things as normal.  I am scared of the effect it might have on my hormones as I reacted badly to the deca peptyl and I would not like those side effects on a permanent basis.  
I had my right ovary and fallopian tube removed a little over 1 year ago and didn't notice anything different after the surgery.  The other ovary takes over and, at least for me, everything was just like it was before the surgery.
I've had a very similar experience - same age and time span of recurring problem.  However, I lost my R ovary due to torsion from my second 9cm cyst.

While going through the first and second ones, I can totally understand your sentiments to have it removed.  You feel so much better afterwards.

BUT....guess what's happening on my remaining ovary now?  The same, exact thing.  My biggest fear is losing this ovary and being forced into menopause at 32.  

Which is the lesser evil for you?
Thank you both for your replies. Two very different experiences and perspectives.Alot to think about.

That is very unfortunate that the same is happening to your left ovary aswell.  I wish that the doctors would do some more proper research in this area and come up with some real solutions...it seems likie they are guessing what to do a lot of the time.  I wish you both all the best.