Ovarian Cysts Community
scared about surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

scared about surgery

I am 35 years old female and  have been diagnosed 15 years ago having cyst (at that time about 3cm) in my left ovary. Since that time I was followed up by many doctors who always adviced for surgery. But as I did not trust surgery in my country (Cameroon), I always hesitated and kept control. Also it was stable for many years and I did not have any symptoms. I stopped to follow up for about 2 years and when I went back to the hospital 3 months ago(now studying in Japan), It was found that the cyst increased to about 8cm and my Dr. recommended me laparoscopy surgery. I am very scared about surgery as I had bad experience of surgery since my mother died just after open surgery to remove her complex ovarian cyst (about 20cm). I am very happy to find this forum on the internet and I'm relieved after read many posts. My surgery is scheduled on July 9th and you cannot imagine how anxious I am now. I am not scared about surgery itself but about the death from general anesthesia. I am scared not to wake up after surgery. Thank you for your comments.
Cheers  
Just think of how much better you are going to feel after the large cyst is removed.  Surgery is not fun, I know, I have had more than I would like to remember.  I assume that in Japan, there are qualified surgeons and I imagine they will take good care of you.
Try to relax and keep us updated.  

Heidi
Thank you very much for your kindness. People is this forum are awesome and I can overcome my fear from your advices as you already experienced surgery. I wish I could get rid of this definitely. I think the quality of medical services here is quite good and I was told that Japanese are very good as surgeons. My Dr told me it is possible to remove the cyst without damage my ovary, but I am waiting until they get in there. I will keep praying and will inform you.
Thank you again
Aguy
It is normal for anyone to be anxious facing general anesthesia and surgery.  The loss of your Mother in surgery makes it that much more difficult to overcome the fears.  When I was a week or two away from my laparoscopic surgery and full of fear, a good friend told me to try my best to be LOGICAL, SCIENTIFIC and rational -  meaning, think of all the advances in anesthesia, all the advances in medicine, in laparoscopy, in the training of the surgeons....  And her advice worked most of the time for me!  When I felt like I was being "swept away" by my irrational fear, I would think more logically!    Part of that logic is prayer!  Take a deep, deep breath and believe that all will be fine!  It will!  I will pray  think of you on the 9th of July!  All will be well.
Thank you so much for your respone and your helpful advices. I will try to think LOGICALLY, SCIENTIFICALLY and RATIONNALLY as you said and keep praying. From now, I will try NOT to allow fear or negative energy to take over. I am very glad to hear that you will hold me in your prayer. Thank for you great support.

Hi All!
I have started my work yesterday after the laparoscopy surgery on July 9th to remove 8cm ovarian cyst. I fell asleep at 2:30PM and when I woke up it was 5:30PM exactly and it was like I slept just for about 10 min. I had no pain because they used pain killers and I had only a little sore throat that disappeared few minutes later. You can not imagine how I was so gald when I woke up. It was a big decision for me to have a surgery even in a very good health system here in Japan, as I have trauma of my mother's surgery. I lied on my back until the next day afternoon where I could walk alone, eat and have a shower. I was very surprise how fast my recovery and also the Drs and nurses. It was a good experience for me and i would like to share with other.  I would like to thank people in this site for their support and advices that helped a lot. I Thank especially nan209, justscore and others.
Great thanks
Agathe
My surgeon gave me the video of my laparocopy. The cyst had a liquid of about 200ml and after puncture, they excised the cyst membrane from my ovary. So They could keep my ovary. I will back to the hospital on Monday for control and to have the resutls of pathological examination of the cyst.
Agathe