Pain Management Community
7 Months of extreme rectal pain and itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I am 25 years old and have been unable to do anything for the past 7 months because of extreme constant pain, itching and bloating.  I am 130 lbs.  Male 5'7.  I have been extremely athletic my whole life up until now (running and cycling).  I don't know what else to do anymore.  I just had surgery for an anal fissure 3 weeks ago but at this point I am very convinced that was not the real problem.  I feel like I am labeled a hypochondriac as soon as I walk into a Dr.s office and tell them my symptoms and how long I've had them.  So here they are, all of my symptoms.  They might not all be relevant but I'm just going to put them all out there.  Any help would be appreciated.  I really don't know what to do anymore.  I have already lost everything that I enjoy because of this and I am on the verge of losing my job because of all of the time off for appointments.  Here are the symptoms:

Pain (knife like) in my rectum
Extremely itchy and raw skin in rectum
Terrible deep pain way up in anus
bloated feeling and constipation almost every day, even after a bowel movement
Need to urinate every 15 minutes even when I hardly drink anything
After urinating, no matter how thouroughly I "shake", more urine comes out about a minute later.  It's just a little squirt, maybe a teaspoon but I can't stop it from happening.
Occasional impotence (and I'm only 25)

Please, please help!!!!!!
  • Buttsores (1 replies):
    I don't know what's happening or what going on, I have t...[more]
  • Pain (1 replies):
    I am having ssharp ahooting pains in my vagina and rectu...[more]
Hello Daven,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am so sorry to hear about all your painful symptoms.

Because of your bowel and bladder symptoms I am wondering if you have had your spine examined? Sometimes a ruptured disc can cause B&B issues.

Other thoughts are an inflammatory bowel disease, colitis or IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which could account for your bloating.

Starting and stopping your stream can also be indicative of a prostrate issue. Have you been evaluated for epididymis or similar male reproductive issues.

Itching can be caused from several things, the simplest being a yeast infection. Have you tried an OTC cream such as hydro-cortisone?

Physicians that may be able to diagnose these issues with be an orthopedist, gastroenterologist and a urologist. You may have seen all these physicians and had all these evaluations but it is what comes to mind when you mention your symptoms.

Your symptoms may not be tied together but be several independant medical issues. Only you know how you feel. I know how physicians can view you (us) as hypercondriacts but don't let that stop you from finding a reason for your symptoms. I have found that physicians are often over-whelmed when you begin with a multitude of complaints. Choose the two that are most bothersome and begin with them and the appropriate physician.  

Best of luck to you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. We are here to support you.
Take Care, Tuck
Have you had an ultra sound ? Perhaps there is a cyst or tumor pressing on your bladder or kidneys causing the urination troubles. I had some similar issues plus a few more symptoms when I was much much younger,  I ended up having my urithra (sp) stretched ( this was 33 yrs ago and they don't do them  often anymore because of the complications,) when the same symptoms started again 6 mos ago I went to a urologist who said he would stretch it again but would rather I didn't and he wanted to do an ultrasound I blew it off because I see so many other doctors the last thing I need is another specialist to co-pay and take time off work for but the troubles have only gotten worse. I tell you what, If you promise to see a urologist, I'll see mine as well....... deal????  

As for the other symptoms, is it possible the pain and itching in the anal area and rectum can be due to your bicycle seat? I don't know how often you bike but if you are an avid rider, might be something to look into. Tuckamore is dead on by advising you to try some over the counter cortisone creams, They are great for  short term and they will provide relief instantly.  Definatly worth the trip to the pharmacy and the $5.37 . Have you ever dealt with hemmorids? They can bleed and be quite excrutiatinly painful. Just another thought.

I wish I could be of more help or support to you. Please know that you are not alone. Keep coming to this forum it is great for questions, answers, support and even a laugh or two. Great people who care about your pain.  Let me know about the deal to see a urologist, I'm serious about that!!

XO
Babs
I have been going throught the same thing for years. I have gone to all the doctors been told i had crohns then i did not.Now they do not know what is wrong,i have taking all the drugs with no help. When i go in to a doctors office they look at me like i am crazy, one doct told me there was know way that my rectum could be causeing me so much pain deep inside.

I have been going throught hell with this the pain is real even if some docts do not think so. I also cannot function on a daily basis becase of the pain. I am now going to a pain mangement doctor that helps out a lot but the pain is 24 7 and the prolem is still there.

All i can tell you is that iam going throught the same thing and that you are not alone.

Royce

Royce