Pain Management Community
Hm. My jaw hurts.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hm. My jaw hurts.

Now i'm not sure what it is, but my jaw hurts pretty bad. It's only on one side and it's where the bottom jaw and upper jaw connect on my right side. I think it might be the fact that I only chew on that side? Or it might have something to do with the weather? It started this year about a month or two ago. So any suggestions on what it is?
It could be for the chewing but you could also be cutting your wisdom teeth. They will cause pain swelling and can also get infected and you are at the age they will start.  Mine took a year to completely cut through and got infected a couple of times. I had them pulled as soon as they popped out. If the pain last or gets worse or you notice swelling go to your dentist or doctor and have it checked. Good luck.
It could be TMJ Dysfunction.  The TMJ is the joint that joins your lower jaw to your upper jaw.  You can easily tell if this is the problem if the area in front of your ears is tender to the touch.

This can actually be helped by seeing a chiropractor.
Yeah. I look it up on Google (because i'm a nerd) and I saw something like that. Could I go to a doctor? Or does it have to be a chiropractor?

To:bigsissie
I never even thought of that, but it's only on one side. I thought it had to be, like top or bottom?
It can be anywhere and can even effect your sinuses. My jaw was sore right at the joint and would get a little swollen when it was cutting. I also cut one side at a time not top or bottom together.
You may need a referal to see a chiropractor for insurance purposes.  The thing of it is, even if the problem is as suggested by the other comments, the jaw can be off kilter, just like the spine can be.  It can even be because of spinal issues.  At one time no insurance covered chiropractic.  Now, at least most do.  I sure am glad that at least this type of "alternative medicine" is actually covered.

If it were a sinus issue, chiropractic can still help.  It doesn't have to be instead of the other doctors if there is a sinus issue, but chiropractic really does help.

My chiropractor adjusts my TMJ as much as she does the spine.  I just have to ask her to check the TMJ.  She uses the actuator/activator to adjust the jaw.  It definitely helps to adjust the TMJ.  Doing this also helps with my headache issues.  The TMJ issues can feel like ear aches, too.  Sometimes if I'm seeing my PCP anyway, I'll have her look in my ears, because it really is difficult to tell if the pain is from my allergies, from the TMJ or even both.  Chiropractic adjustments actually help the ear canals drain better when there is this fluid caused by the allergies.