Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Pain relief?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Pain relief?

i have polycystic ovarian syndrome and i have loads of cysts on both ovaries, i dont like taking pain killers because i dont agree with taking medication, other than anti-biotics, well i just dont like taking pain killers.
does anyone know any ideas of natural pain relief from cysts because they are painfull all the time, im constantly going to hospital cause of the pain but they say there is nothing they can do other than pain killers,
ive tried hot water bottles but it dont help much!
id appreciate any ideas!
Do you mean like acupuncture or chinese medicine?  Or do you mean like herbs and such?  Medicines started out in ancient times by our ancestors using hit or miss methods to see what herb or bark or root did what.  Natural things like willow bark and chamomile are still medicines and can be used for pain or sleep.

Just think of the pain medications as being like the antibiotics if you can.  They're taking care of something you can't take care of yourself.  There's no reason for you to be in pain if you don't have to.

Would a hot bath help?  Aromatherapy?    I've tried those and they help some, but I still need Tylenol or Motrin sometimes.  

I sure hope you find something that works for you.
Hi.  You might also want to try posting in the PCOS forum here on MedHelp.  I know that some people use biofeedback for migraine pain so that might be something to look into.  When I was going through my cysts I also found a glass of wine in the evening lessened my pain (or at least took my mind off it).  I also took lots of hot baths and used my heating pad.  I did need painkillers near the end because the cyst was too big and affecting my other internal organs.

With PCOS I believe birth control pills can stop you from ovulating and hence keep you from having the pain.  Good luck with everything.
ive posted in the PCOS forum too :)
i just feel like taking pain killers is just masking the pain of something going wrong and i shouldnt be in pain, im scared that i mask the pain of something that is really serious. its stupid but i really cant help it.
i cant take birth control pills cause i have a blood condition (theres so many things wrong with me i just have to laugh otherwise i will cry)
im really interested in herbs and natural pain relief remidies,
is there like any websites i can look at?
thankyou for the help ladies :)
Unfortunately the pain of cysts is mostly because they are pushing on internal organs and there just isn't much that alternative medicine can do for that.  You are stuck with painkillers or eliminating the problem, which is going to take time.
I was going to say the same thing as Trudie.  My back is absolutely killing me today and there's nothing I can really do about it.  Surgery is the only cure, so I've got to medicate the pain until they can do that.

If you're worried that there's some other cause of your pain, you should go to the Dr and see what he/she thinks.  Going to the emergency room as pain management doesn't sound like much fun.

As I said before, herbs are still medicine.  They all have an effect on your body, good or bad.  An example of this would be marijuana and the effects of using it.  In some instances it's used medicinally.  It is an herb after all!  ;)  Maybe you can try an herbal store and see what they have like willow bark.  It's ok for mild pain, but I gave up years ago and just took Tylenol or Motrin.  They worked much better and longer.
i think i will go back to the docs cause this might sound weird but the pain is in my bowels, unless the cyst is pushing on my bowles that would make sence. i think im also going to have to give in and take pain killers, i have funny reactions to them like ALOT of drowsyness and the "runs", i never though of it like marijuana being a herb so herbs can do the same thing as pain killers so im just better off taking pain killers. ugh i give up. thankyou both x
also i know i said i had PCOS and i did post it in the PCOS forum too but i only got responses in the ovarian cyst forum, so why did it get moved to here even though im talking bout pain from cysts? im not complaining just wondering :)
I totally understand what you are going through as I have the same issues. I was able to get on bc and it helped a while but I started having problems I bled for nearly a month and hurt from head to my toenails!!! To ease your mind it can hurt even your bowels unless your body tells you it's more serious you're fine and your body WILL tell you if something else is wrong when it comes to that. On to relief...hot baths/showers, use natural pads no tampons AT ALL, moist a towel and heat it (I microwave it) and wrap it around you (i find it better than hearing pads AND thermal pads for muscle aches as I've tried it all) , massage the area gently if you can bear it sometimes I can't, drink herbal tea (hot without sugar or honey), lay in a comfortable position for you mine is on my back relieves pressure from my ovaries as I can definitely feel it, put a pillow under you or between your legs depending your position. Usually that works... But occasionally it doesn't that's when I put my feet in mildly cold water and as hot as I can bear towels around me and I get the room extremely dark. Then I do the first routine. It's awesome! I hope this helps!