Pregnancy 18-24 Community
MRI Scan & Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

MRI Scan & Pregnancy

9 and a half weeks pregnant and booking in for an MRI scan on monday, is it dangerous? i googled it and they say it should be ok as long as it is not before 12 week mark. Anyone been through an MRI whilst pregnant??
Tags: MRI, Pregnancy
As the Medical Education Director for an independent MRI clinic in Vancouver, BC, Canada I wanted to offer my thoughts with respect to your question regarding having an MRI while pregnant.  As is the case with many medications/medical technology, the evidence which supports/refutes the use during pregnancy is often quite limited.  

Unlike CT/Ultrasound, MRI does not expose the patient to any forms of ionizing radiation and is an exceptionally safe imaging modality.

The following website www.Radiologyinfo.org, which is developed by both the American College of Radiology and the Radiological Society of North America have posted the following information on their website as it relates to the use of MRI during pregnancy.

Pregnancy and MRI

If you are pregnant or suspect you are pregnant, you should inform the MRI technologist and/or radiologist during the screening procedure before the MRI examination. In general, there is no known risk of using MRI in pregnant patients. However, MRI is reserved for use in pregnant patients only to address very important problems or suspected abnormalities. In any case, MRI is safer for the fetus than imaging with x-rays or CT.

I hope you have found this information to be helpful.  If you have any general questions relating to having an MRI done, you may find the following patient resource page to be helpful as well. http://www.canmagnetic.com/patient-info/

All the best to you.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers