Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Pregnancy Rhinitis and Steriods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Pregnancy Rhinitis and Steriods

I am 25 weeks 3 days pregnant and am suffering from pregnancy rhinitis in respect to severe nasal congestion. It was so bad that at one point I thought I had to run to the hospital. I am congested from either one or both nostrils the whole day and night. I can support it in the daytime because for the most part I am busy with work that I am not thinking about it and usually breath to my mouth but at night I can't stand it. Tried sleeping sitting up and 3 different types of Saline Sprays, Neti Pot, Nostril Wash intense and Vapor rub vicks, vaporizer and humidifier and nothing. I have also tried Zyrtec and Benedryl, nothing came from Zyrtec and the only thing that Benedry does was put me to sleep but I still wake up 3 hours later. I have only been able to get 3 to 4 hour sleeps nightly for the last 2 months. I have recently tried Afrin suggested by my doctor for 2 nights and I slept like a baby but I hear that Afrin is addicting so last night I didn't take it and had a hard time falling asleep. I went to see the ENT doctor yesterday and he said I could take steroids orally cortisone at that and my OB GYN agreed with him. The steroid is for 6 days taking 6 pills the first day, 5 pills the second day and so on until the pills are gone. After doing some research I feel that even though the relief I will feel after wards will be good I feel like it may harm my baby. Has anybody taken oral steroids while pregnant or has gone through a similar situation like me?
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers