Pregnancy 35+ Community
Am I too old

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Am I too old

Hi everyone, I'm new to this but have been reading some of your questions and post and find very helpful so I thought I would ask you all.
I'm 40 years old (41 in April) and just after new year I found out i was pregnant. All thoughts were running through my head mainly what will people think I'm 40 years old and have two  grown up boys. They will be 21 and 24 this year ( had them at  nearly 17 and 20).
I had just got used to the idea and was actually getting very excited it and having a baby around again but sadly on the 21 jan I had a miscarriage and was totally devastated. Now I know i to try again but I'm worried that the miscarriage is a sign of my body saying I'm to old for it now. When  I had a scan after the miscarriage they found a fibroid 4cm but said this wasn't the cause of it tho. I so want to try again but so scared that it will happen again a just cos of my age.
I must say that I'm a healthy 40 year old young at heart and don't feel 40 lol
Any advice ??
I'm sorry for your loss, and no your not too old, it will just be a case of trying again, its abit like russian roulette when we get over 37, trying to get pregnant and have a baby, our bodies pop out eggs mostly every month and one month it will be a good egg and maybe the next month it wont be, so its just a matter of catching that good egg,  there are natural suppliments that you can take to help with egg quality etc and things like alcohol and caffine intake can affect your chances of getting pregnant, but in general you shouldnt have too many problems, I've had 3 healthy babies since turning 40, but have also had 5 miscarriages, so as I said the good eggs are still there, just a case of keeping on trying until you get one, good luck :)
I am also sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel, I also have had miscarriages in the past. I am exactly the same age as you are and also found out I was pregnant after the new year, I am still pregnant but am spotting here and there and am very worried. I go to my GP again Monday and will know a little more. My Doctor said his mother had him at the age of 47 and he was a perfectly normal and healthy baby, so I think go for it, try again! I am not sure how I will go, I also have a fibroid and a cyst and with the spotting and pain I pray that it will be okay, but you just don't know. :-)
I'm so sorry you lost your baby.  I've lost 3 since hitting age 40, but I'm now 45 and almost 21 weeks pregnant and so far everything looks good.  Like Stacey said, it's all a matter of catching that good/healthy egg.  You are definitely not too old!  Good luck, hun!
Thanks for the reply :)
Was very helpful.
I so one to try again but also totally scared of miscarrying again because this miscarriage was so painful and traumatic. Me and partner said we will try once more once I've had my first period and if it does work out then we will call it a day because I don't think we could go through all that again, so hopefully everything will turn out this time.
I also said to partner that I'm going to get the pregncare vitamins for his and her to see if that would help.
Thanks again for your advice
Thanks for your advice too :)
I hope everything goes ok for you :)
Thank you.
I don't think I could physically go through 3 miscarriages , I said if I get pregnant again and it fails then that will be it,
My last two pregnancies that I went full term with I had no problems at all with but then saying that it was 20 years ago lol
But thanks very much for your help.
I'm so sorry for your loss.  And as for being too old...nope.  Age is a number.

I had my son just before I turned 41.  He is the greatest gift I have ever received, and is healthy and happy (he's 3 now).  And honestly, I did get a bit of skepticism from others, but that was a small number. Most of my friends and family were very very supportive and exceedingly happy for us.  I love being a mom in my 40's.  My husband and I are more financially secure then we were when we were younger.  We are happy to stay home and just be a family, or do things as a family.  Life is good!  So to heck with anyone who doesn't understand.

As for likelyhood of a loss.  Well, that is hard to say. Truthfully, our odds of a loss do increase as we age.  However, 1 loss can happen at 18, 25, 35 or 45.  It is not an indicator of a bigger problem at all.  Every time we conceive we roll the dice.  I have met women in their 20's who have had multiple losses and have a friend from here who got pregnant at 42, then 45 and both pregnancies were smooth sailing.  Everyone is different.

I say roll the dice - the rewards could be huge!!

All the best to you.
Hi Stacy..I notice you mentioned natural supplements that can be takened for help produce more or better eggs??  Can you share the names??  I am also in my 40's and would interested in taking supplements.

Thanks in advance
I had 3 miscarriages between the age 23 and 25. So i think sometimes it is just bad luck.... Sorry for your loss and good luck x
I have had 6 miscarriages so far but have made it 15 weeks with this one. I had to go to a specialist.  She has made me do all kinds of meds and shots. Having a good dr that will listen and try and help is very important.  Good luck go for it!