Pregnancy 35+ Community
delivery at 36 weeks

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

delivery at 36 weeks

Ladies how many of you had healthy babies at 36 weeks? I'm praying for an early delivery if he is fully cooked. I'm 30 weeks and 2 days and already tired of being pregnant.
A baby is considered full term at 37 weeks.  Prior to that, if possible, most Dr's will attempt to stop labor.  Most babies at 36 weeks do just fine. However, you don't wish a preemie.  Issues can be low birth weight, lung development issues, increased risk of jaundice, etc.  Now, at 36 weeks these things are not likely, but it is best for babies to be at least 37 weeks.  Sorry your tired of it at 30 weeks, it's not long to go.  But it's best it happens when baby is ready, and after 37 weeks.  Good luck.
I agree, they do say 37 weeks is your best bet for having your baby.  The lungs are fully developed.  Hang in there these last few weeks will go by before you know it.
I had a 35 weaker and she was healthy however.... Early babies have to eat about every two hours, have reflux, are more at risk for infection, and have a hard time latching on so breastfeeding may not work out. 37+ weeks is much better.
I usually go between the 38 week mark or 39 week.  I am pretty spot on with the conception date this time too. Our babies literally eat I swear every half hour to an hour with breastfeeding.  I guess I got hungry little things!

I had my baby at 36 weeks and according to the pediatrician I was lucky all he had was jaundice. They say babies born at 36  weeks also have trouble maintaing their blood sugars and temperatures. We were in the hospital for a week after as well. I was induced due to pre-eclampsia and as tired of pregnancy I was, I was scared to have him come early. Even babies born at 38 weeks can have issues it is best to let them come when then they are ready or when medically necessary. I was also informed by the pediatrician that 75-80% of 36 weekers develop jaundice that needs to be treated by UV lights and take it from someone who experienced it, it is hard to watch your little one crying in there and there is nothing you can do :(
You don't wNt any early baby if you can avoid it. Most babies born at 36 weeks will be okay but they may need short nicu stays, be more sleepy and have trouble latching, more prone to jaundice and reflux etc. Normal term is 37 - 42 weeks. That us such a large gap because all women are different. 40 weeks is only an average.  I tend to carry longer. My sin we induced at 39 weeks / terrible idea. It took 3.5 days for the induction to take because my body was not remotely ready. (I am not against induction for medical reasons, but if mom and baby are healthy it is best to wait to deliver on your own).  My dayghter I decided to let come in her own and I had her at 41 weeks 2 days. It was torture waiting tha long (I called my ob begging for an induction the morning before I went into labor! Lol) but it was so worth it. At that gestation my dd was still only 7 lbs 8 oz subdue needed that tome to bake. The third trimester is s killer - you feel huge sns uncomfortable and can't wait for it to be over - but it is worth the wait.
Forgive the typos in my previous post...on my phone...
I had a 36 weeker due to hypertension and it was a nightmare! She had an APGAR of 1, a collapsed lung, NICU stay of a week and she couldnt latch on so I had to pump the 1st 3 months then feed it to her, sometimes with a medicine dropper. I am now almost 29 weeks and I have a cerclage and I am going to do everything possible to keep this one in as LOOOOONG as possible!
I was blessed my 5th, baby came early (32 weeks) via csection, due to blood pressure and increased protein in my urine. He was 4lbs and 10 oz, he only needed a feeding tube.

However my 4th one was a 34 weeker, he came via csection, 7lbs 13 oz, and needed to be on the ventilator due to fluid on the lungs. I had the amnio, and it said his lungs were developed but they were not.

I ahd to go to the ER wed night back spasms. Well when I got there they said I was having contractions, so they gave me terbutaline? To stop the labor. I am 32 weeks, and I am like Nooo baby you gotta bake a little longer...lol

So, its sooo many issues that MAY arise with having a baby early, some more great than others. But it still hurts when you see your newborn going through something. try to hold out, please dont pray for an early delivery, cause you just might  get it.
I let them stay in there as long as they need to.  I figured they will plan their own birth.  If they want to come early then we will deal with that.  But usually it is right around the 38th week that I go into labor.  It was like that with my last two.  I am 36.5 weeks now, so just always hoping to make it past the 37 week mark.  So hang in there, keep us posted on how you are feeling.
I had my baby at 30 wks 4 days as my water's broke at 25 weeks and at 30 wks I contracted an infection which is normal for early water's breaking.. Anyway, my little one only had to have oxygen for 3 days and also had jaundice but apart from that she was fine and had to stay in hospital purely to put weight on!! She is now 2.5 and absolutely perfect!! My friend recently had twins at 36 weeks and both of them were born with only very minor and quite normal setbacks!
I think every baby chooses their time to be born that's for sure, but no matter when it's time it's always special :D