Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Can Citalopram affect chances of conception?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hi, My wife and I have been TTC for a few a while now with no joy.  I am currently taking Citalopram for anxiety (10mg once a day) but I have read somewhere that this can reduce sperm count and make the ones left a bit lazy! is this correct and should I come off the drugs?

Regards

S
I was on Celexa (aka Citalopram) for just over a year - 20 mg./day.  I recently went off of it (on my second try - had terrible side effects the first time).  Anyway, that was on March 24....and now, I think I'm pregnant after our first TTC our second child. Hope to get a positive pregnancy test result this weekend!!!

I'm not sure how it might affect males and the ability to father a child. All I know is that I definitely didn't want to be on an AD while TTC, I was worried about the possible effects on the baby, even though my doctor said there was very little risk.  For me, any risk was too much risk.  

On the other hand, though, you want to be in a healthy frame of mind when expecting a baby.  Only you can know if you're ready to go off the meds.

Good luck :-)
KTowne commented on Belle313's status
hansen20, and Hollus commented on renae176's status
hansen20 commented on veronica0808's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy