Brown Spotting at 5 weeks
I am current five weeks pregnant tomorrow.  This afternoon while urinating, I saw brown spotting when I wiped.  I immediately rushed home and inserted a tampon to see if any clots came out.  It was just more brown discharge and everything seems to have disappeared now.  Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with this.  Could it have been left over implantation bleeding or just old blood?  I know they say as long as it isn't red and cramping that it's fine, but I'm scared!!! I miscarried in september, so I'm freaking out.!!!! Please help!!!!
How long after implantation bleeding will it show up on a test?
I had bleeding for 3 days the color was like a red pink and then went to brown. Is this normal?
I took a pregnancy test saturday and it showed negative. Should i retest and when ?
Hey everybody! My name is kita this is my first time on here i really need sumone to talk to.... I'll start by sayn i havent had a period since Nov. 2 i thought maybe it was because of stress so i didnt think nothin of it . then i start gaining weight everywhere. i took alot of hpt they were negative. Nxt i was getn bad headaches and stomach and chest pains so i went to the hospital. They did a bloodtest and ultrasound but they told my me the ultresound was done wrong and the had 2 do it "digital" so they told me i was pregnant but i think their wrong. Yesterday i was spotting light pink then later that night it was bright red and semi heavy and my stomach really hurts. Does anyone knw what wrng???????????? Plz Comment...
I've read each and every post on this page and I felt relief as I am not alone. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences.

Accdg to the doctor, I might be 5w preg already (my PT is positive but too early to be sent to ultrasound). I am also experiencing brown discharge, quite minimal and the OB said that this could be because of the implantation (just like the others has shared). I am still worried as I read that this could also lead to threathened abortion or miscarriage, until I read this page. Though there might be a possibility, at the end of this day, I felt quite at ease and I hope to read more in the coming days :) Let us all stay positive until our OB confirmed our situation... Good luck to all of us...
I think my wife is 3 weeks pregnant. She missed her period for 3 days and she's spotting now. Could it be she's pregnant?
I am about 5W5D pregnant with my first baby.  This past Tuesday I had an ultrasound and noticed after words that I had some spotting right after.  Shortly thereafter it stopped so I figured the spotting was caused due to the ultrasound.  But today, 3 days later, I woke up to find some light brown blood on my toilet paper.  I am freaking out, because I still have not heard a heartbeat, since on Tuesday they determined I was about 5W2D pregnant and you don't see a heartbeat on an ultrasound until around week 6.  I need some reassurance as I have never been pregnant and my husband and I have been trying for years and finally got pregnany using IUI.
Your comments and prayers are greatly appreciated!
I have missed my period for 2 months. I haven't had one since December. It is now the begining of March. Last week I started to have brownish spotting and a little cramping. It is so light I only need 1 pad a day. All pregnancy tests are coming back negative. My doctor insists that if I was pregnant I would have a positive test by now. I tried to tell her that with my first child, I didn't have a positive pregnancy test until I was about 9 weeks. I tested every week for 9 weeks until that came positive. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Could I be pregnant with brownish spotting, 2 months late, and no positive pregnancy test?
I am 5 wks. I've had some light pink or peach discharge for last 3 days. Today i found brown on my underwear. I had a miscarrige 5 months ago. We really want this baby. I called my doctor in a panic. I was crying and all. She told me as long as it's not red and i'm not cramping I just need to relax. She will C me in am for blood work and ultrasound. I really hope this is normal. My sister has 3 children and states she had cramps for entire pregnancies. I will keep u posted with what happens but the most important part she said was to try to relax because it CAN affect your pregnancy.
I am five weeks pregnant I believe I have missed my period and am anxiously waiting to go to the doctor this coming Monday (two days away) and this morning I woke up to pee as usually no cramping and when i wiped there was a light pink quarter size spot with brown discharge around it. I am still worried but I have went to the bathroom twice afterwards and nothing was on the paper. You don't think I had a miscarriage?? Or could be having one?? First timer.
I'm 5 weeks pregnant.  I had some dark red/brown spotting last night.  It didn't even stain my underwear, but was visible on the toilet paper that I used as a wipe.  I've also experienced mild cramping.  Almost like a tickle down there in the womb.  The comments on this post have been encouraging, but I am still worried.  Will update with any news.  Thanks.
I know that I read these comments like crazy as I was waiting for news, so I thought I'd post mine in case it helps someone else.

I started spotting (light pink at first, then brown for days, then pink one more time, then brown again for days) at 5 weeks. I spotted very lightly and pretty much everyday for 2 weeks. This is my first pregnancy, so I was VERY scared, and called my doctor. She told me not to worry unless it turned pink again, which it did, so I called back. She ordered an HCG test to monitor my counts over 48 hours. They doubled like they should.

She then ordered an early ultrasound, but she had me wait (an excruciatingly stressful) week because she didn't want to call me in too early to hear a heartbeat and scare me more. I went in for the ultrasound two days ago, and I saw and heard the heartbeat! I measured right on target at 6w6d. Since then, the spotting has almost stopped, just a little bit every once in a while.

I know I'm not 100% in the clear, but I feel so much better. Good luck everyone, and I hope you hear good news soon.
Hi all,
I am 5w3d pregnant and today i noticed some brownish spotting.  I feel fine and only other symptoms i have had is headaches, really sore boobs and my skin is getting bad and of course positive preg tests.  Last year I had a miscarriage at 6wks and am very very worried this is going to end in the same way.  Last time I had cramping and bleeding happened within 3hours.  

Can anyone put my mind at ease, is this normal???   I am hoping and praying that everything is normal and my baby is fine!!!  

For all the other expectant mums out there in this same situation my heart goes out to you, this is certainly a stressfull time!!
Cheers
Im 16 years old and i was 6 weeks yesturday,i experienced a small amount of brown blood on my underware and wen i wiped,that day wenever i wiped de stringy blood looked less brown bu looked lyk there was small clots.i have had crampin since very early in my pregnancy.could this be the miscarriage leavin my body after 5 weeks? i need to know !!!
I'm 35 years old 6 weeks pregnant and have the same thing going on. In the E.R. Now... I feel no cramping still have all the pregnancy symptoms and still read positive on the p.t.
With my forst pregnancy i started heavy bleeding at 8 weeks and bled alot for 17 days went to the hosp and to my horror i was positive i was misscarring but saw the heart beat and went on the have a beatuiful little boy who is now 2.5 years old
I can relate to everyone's posts. I also started light brown spotting/mucous like discharge 1 week ago at 5 weeks pregnant. All this dark brown bitty stuff came out for about 24 hours and I was admitted to maternity ward because strong pain on the right hand side accompanied. The maternity nurse spoke about how oftentimes women think they're m/cing or in labour when they have a bowel problem. Bowels also cause severe stabbing pain. Long story short, my HCG was normal 2372 but more conclusively was the vaginal ultrasound which showed us the heartbeat! We were also shocked as the doctor had been talking about me miscarrying, etc, etc. I've been on stool softeners from my GP and it seems to have sorted out the strong pain I experienced for several days.

The light brown discharge is back again this weekend, though. I also feel bloated. Honestly I can't really worry because if I do m/c then I do. I see my GP again next week. I feel very positive about it all, though, and feel in my gut (so to speak!) that I'm out of the woods and will have a normal delivery.

All the best :)
Hi All, according to my calcultion I am 9 wks and 4 days pregnant, and I have been experiencing brown discharge for the past 2 to 3 wks.  On saturday I noticed a slightly fresh blood on my pant, which came trhrough my pant into the stocking, then it stopped by the time I got into the urgent care.  I was offered a scan on monday which shows that I am actully 5wks and 3days pregnant and they coult not see anything apart from the 5wks gestation sac.  The nurse told me it could be a miscarriage or not and they offered me a blood test to check the level of my hormones then I am due to another blood test tommorow that is when they will conclude whether it is miscarriage or not, has anyone had such experience?
Hi all,
I am glad to find this section in the internet....my story is this:
I had 2 embryo transfered and after 10 years and 2 misscariages I am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant now.. which is great. but yesterday I had tiny bit of brown discharge and today little more where with severe pain .. I am so stressed ..
Of course like everyone else, I am so desperate to have at least 1 baby.. I called my nurse they increased my progesterone intake to two a day and I can not wait to have a scan  on Monday 6/9/2010..

Any comments welcome because I am soo nervous..thanks  
please help :(

i am 5 weeks 2 days. everything was going well until yesterday. i started spotting light pink blood, then last night i started spotting a little heavier redish blood, then today i had redish blood and now i have brownish/red blood. i went to the doctors today and had a scan. doctor said i could either be having a m/c or i could be a bleeder through my pregnancy. they also said there is a blood sack around the bubs sack. what does this mean? has anyone experienced this before? my partner and i really want this baby.
HI, I have a  3 years old and I am 4 weeks pregnant and I had my IUD removed a little over a month ago. For the past 2 days I have been experiencing brown discharge when I wipe. Went to the emergency room today my HCG level was 147 and nothing was seen on the US. I am supposed to go back in two days and retest my HCG level. I will post the update. Has anyone experience the same thing?
I am too 5 weeks tomorrow and I'm having the same brown discharge. I been having it for a almost a week. But it hasn't been any bleeding or cramping so I'm happy about that. I go to the doctor on wednesday so hoepfully everything ok.
i am 5 wks today and just found brownish spoting and have mild cramps find out later what my HCG levels are,  im so stressed as i had a misscarage in aug,  glad to see it some what normal reading everone elses coments are making me less stress,  any advice
hi when i was pregnant with my second child, i bled bright red blood from 5 weeks until i was about 15 weeks. It would stop every couple of days and come back. I was always going to the emergency as i thought my baby must have died but doctors did a scan and she was fine :) my point is, not all bleeding is bad. I now have a beautiful baby girl who will be turning 1 in january.
Don't worry unnecessarily -- call your doctor and get more information!

I had some spotting at 5 weeks 2 days in the late afternoon (after the labs were closed) and called my OB right away. The protocol was to have my HCG tested the next morning (Saturday), and then two days after that (Monday). Then I went in on 6 weeks 1 day (Thursday) for a vaginal ultrasound.

The nurse called me on Monday to tell me that the results from the Saturday labs were that my HCG was nice and high, ~15,000. She called me again on Tuesday to let me know that they increased to ~23,000. Not double, but good trend. At my ultrasound, I saw a heartbeat which was fantastic! And even if I had not, my doctor reassured me that since it was so early, that would not have been a definitive indication.

My doctor said that up to 1/3 of women spot in their first trimester. Out of that, 50% miscarry and 50% are fine. Since we saw a heartbeat, the probability of miscarriage would drop to ~5%. He advised me to avoid (1) heavy lifting (2) strenuous exercise (3) sexual intercourse until I had stopped bleeding for two weeks.
I am five weeks, according to the vaginal ultrasound I was given yesterday when I rushed into the emergency room with blood and cramps, once there, the dr on call, said everything was ok, but that I should call back if I bled enough to cover a pad in less then an hour, and had stronger cramps. this is my second pregnancy and my first had no cramps, or spotting (bleeding). Every case is different, if you fear for the worst, just call your doctor, they are there to help. Good luck, please keep me in your prayers too.
by laura i really need some help im normally regular for my periods cycle normally 36 days. I have had headaches lower pain in abdomen urinating little and often for a few weeks now. I took a test 37th day and it was negative and said test again in 3 days. 39th and 40th day i have had couple of spotting brown discharge then last night had very pale brown when i wiped n this morning have done another test which was negative and no spotting. Please can someone explain? Thanks
iam 5 and a half months pregnant i just noticed some light brown discharge on my undies i had a miscarriage 13 weeks ago should i be worried or not
This is so confusing because it could either go both ways...But on friday i had brown discharge...And since then everynow and then when i wipe there is brown and/orr light pink...A very little bit...Its monday so it has now been 3-4 days of this..at first i thought it was the beginning of my period..But Nothing came!?!?! My cycles are not always exactly 28 days apart...and also very slight cramping, a little moody, and sensitive, was crying this morning for no reason....any ideas!?!? is this just my period or am i possibly pregnant?
hi all i am 8 days late for getting my period.(making me around 5 weeks according to last period) i have had the usual pregnancy signs sore breasts, increase in size, light headeness, feeling sick.
i did take a test however this was neg. and i am spotting brown not very much and only when i wipe, i have had some light cramping but nothing major, can anyone help me as to why all this is happening yet i have a neg test x
thanks x
Yes Im curently 3 weeks 5 days and have been spotting brown/pink mucus for a day I woke up this morning and fount a tiny tiny tiny blood clot what can this mean
If you experience any amout of bleeding or brown discharge even a tiny amount you should always consult your Doctor. I had brown discharge when I wiped and went straight to the Early Pregnancy Unit at the hospital. When you arrive they will take a urine sample followed by a blood test. They will call you later with the results of the blood test, basically they will be looking at what your HCG hormone level is at. You will then be asked to go back and have more blood drew 48 hours later, they will call you with the results. In a normal pregnancy the HCG level will double every 48 hours, if your level drops it's usually bad news and means that you have miscarried or that the pregnancy is eptopic. If your HCG level has risen you will be monitored but should be fine. If your level has dropped you will have blood drawn 48 hours after, if the level has not gone down much you will need to scan to see if the pregnancy is eptopic. If you have miscarried you may need D&C, if eptopic in early stages it would be an injection.
I too am grateful to have found this site and to read that there are other women out there having the same experience.  I wanted to share mine.  

At 4 weeks, I took an HPT and got a positive. I took about seven other HPTs every day of the following week just to be sure--all positive.  I spotted once at 4W2D after intercourse.  At 4W5D, I spotted once in the morning---very small amount of brown/pink.  That evening, I spotted once and passed a clot the size of a cherry. At 4W6D, I spotted twice in the morning.  Again, very little and it was brown/pink.  No spotting the rest of that day, but I went to the doctor's to get my beta checked anyway.  Today is the 5W mark, and my period just came on in full force.  I had not had any cramps or pains, but I also did not have any pregnancy symptoms either.  (I had strong morning sickness and sore breasts with my first baby.)  Doctor hasn't called back with the beta results, but I guess I don't need it.  I didn't mean this to be a downer, just wanted to share my experience.  I hope for everyone else who reads this post, you end up having a healthy pregnancy!
I am pretty worried myself im going on 5 weeks and twice this week have noticed brwn when i wipe... I also had a mc in dec 10 and a tubal in june 11' , fingers crossed that this one will b okY, a lil relieved after readn this, thanx girls
I am 5 weeks 4 days pregnant and this is my first at 37 years old.  I have had four days bleeding.  First it was red blood then it turned to brown and then very watery brown.  I did not have any stomach pains. I went to the doctors and she sent me for a scan.  I had the scan and with their zoom technology they managed to see a tiny flicker which was a heartbeat.  The baby is only 3mm at this stage, but I am just so glad and relieved that they could see something.  They do not know why I have had bleeding, but just keep an eye on it.  So if you have bleeding it does not neccessarily mean a  miscarriage as I thought with all this blood I must have had one.  Good luck to you all.  Sarah x
I believe I am 3 wks pregnant.  I have swollen breasts and really no other symptoms.  This morning I woke up to urinate and I see 4 light brownish discharge drops. Im panic-ing. All of you above are saying its normal for 5-6 weeks, but I'm only 3weeks!
Hi guys, I am currently experiencing the same thing, this is the 4th day. However it got a bit heavier almost as a flow but not close to a period flow. The blood (and when wipe discharge) is brown and has a stong smell like when my period ends.
Coincidentally the morning sickness just started with the metallic taste in my mouth that constantly wants me to have sumthing inn it so I don't feel that taste. All in all the pregnancy symptoms are only getting stronger. I will go back to the hospital tomorrow to test my hcg levels and try and get more rest. The word of God says none will miscarry in the land and I believe it is well. Even for you all, have faith
My history: full term pregnancy in 2006; missed miscarriage at 9 wks followed by d&c in Sept 2008; early miscarriage at 5-6 weeks in Dec 2008;  full term pregnancy in 2009; early miscarriage at 5 weeks in July 2011.

I have seen spotting go both ways... I had spotting right before my 2 early miscarriages, but in another pregnancy I had spotting around 5 or 6 weeks which went on to be a full term pregnancy (my second child). I also had a missed miscarriage in 2008 with NO spotting or cramping at all, only discovered when there was no heartbeat at a routine 9-wk ultrasound. At that time my body even "felt" like I was still pregnant, with breast tenderness and queasiness, for 4-5 days after the ultrasound (I had a d&c a week later because my body was not passing anything on its own). I also have a cousin who spent a great deal of her pregnancy on bedrest due to intermittent bleeding--her twins are now almost 7 years old! So the outcomes of symptoms are just not predictable, and sometimes even the presence of symptoms is misleading.

All this is just to say... that symptoms are different with each woman AND each woman's various pregnancies. Statistically there are more happy endings than not. But if you are concerned it never hurts to discuss things with your doctor. Good luck to all! :)
I am 6 wks pregnant. My first pregnancy. I had spotting and it is exactly as you describe it "brownish" "old blood" I am amazed that we are describing it the same way, there is mild lower abdominal discomfort but no cramps. My ObGyn ad my husband are both traveling. I am going crazy. It was at least a little reassuring to read your writings. I pray for the best.
In alot of women, this is very common. The pink spotting is usually from the baby implanting itself to your uterus causing some light bleeding, and the brown is usually the left over dried blood after implantation!! You should be fine. Good Luck and Congrats!!
I am 5 1/2 weeks along and have light brown discharge. i miscarried on sept 5th with twins. I have been in alot of pain and they gave me hydrocodone for the pain. They did blood tests and my levels were going up but now slowed down. my dates put me at 10 weeks, my blood tests put me at 7-8 weeks and my ultrasound put me at 5 1/2 weeks. like i said i have light brown discharge and am freaking out. i know it could be old blood but this is how my mmiscarrage started the last time. i have an ultrasound on monday. Can anyone please help! and please pray for the best.

Lady Sapphire
I am miscarrying yet again. But i have hope that i will one day once again carry a child to full term. To give you all hope, i will leave you with this. Docter's are not always right. There tests can be wrong. have faith and pray. If you miscarry then it wasn't ment to be but if you do carry to full term, then know that i am happy for you. And it was ment to be. I will pray for all of you. Please pray for me as i try again to have a child.
This is my fourth pregnancy since October 2010.  I m/c at 5w in November 2010 and at 5w again in June 2010.  In November 2011 I m/c at 18w, which was truly awful and full of complications.  In early December I had a D&C b/c I had retained part of the placenta after induced labor.  I must've gotten pregnant a couple weeks after my surgery b/c I kept waiting for my period to start and five weeks after my surgery I took a test it was positive.  I've had three blood tests, one each week, and my hcg is doubling ever 2 days.  However, last night I had some brown discharge when I wiped so I went to the ER.  They sent me for u/s today and I am 5.5w but they said it was too early for a hb.  I am going again in a week and half for another u/s....I am cautiously optimistic, as my OB likes to say.
Sorry, I noticed a typo in my post....my 2nd m/c was June 2011 NOT 2010.  And then I had a period July 11th and got pregnant again later that month.
Oh and here are my hcg levels:

Jan. 17th 104
Jan. 23rd 914
Jan. 30th 11,990 (later that nite at the ER it was 16,349)

The u/s tech said she saw a fetal pole but it was so small that I couldn't really see it.  I thought I was 6w but she said 5 1/2 weeks.  I will see my OB next week, but the u/s tech said it is likely implantation bleeding.
This is my first pregnancy and im 5 weeks my hcg level i 887 is this normal i was having brown spots but its turning to bright red .. Should i be worried but i have no cramping and no clots??
Hi ladies! Im 5 weeks and my ultrasound showed a sac and yolk but tonight I had brown discharge alil worried but I believe itll b ok.
hi all,,
im having this at the mo!! when to hosptil they read my hornmone levels and they were low? im going back tomorrow for more blood tests to find out if they have gone any higher i really hope they have as i too am so so worryed i really want this baby and have been trying now for 4 years i have 2 boys and i have had a misscarrage befour but by reading your posts it helps thank you xx
I am 5 weeks pregnant, second pregnancy the first was a miscarriage. I have low pregesterone and had an ultrasound done Monday no baby no sac. I'm spotting brown and I'm freaking out somebody help me please.
It's now Monday I'm 6wks 2 days an been spotting light to dark brown since last Tuesday. I went in last Thursday for a vaginal ultrasound to see a sac an a small dot. Spotting increased a bit after that, simply thght it was do to vaginal ultrasound. The doc called back an stated she didn't see anything an to come bk a week later for round 2. I didn't get a heart beat simply thght it was too early. I had a mc 2 months ago an now afraid same is happening again. I'm scheduled in for ultrasound this Friday hoping for best but expecting the worse.
I had my LMP on 16/3/14 and I tested positive on both urine and blood tests on 19/4/14. I had occasional abdominal pain all through the week and the doctor sent me to have an ultrasound on 5 weeks 2 day. When the result came, they were not able to see the sac , but the endometrium had thickened to 12 mm. So the doctor again sent me for a urine test and the result came out as negative . But my periods have not arrived yet. Have anybody had the same situation and had a healthy pregnancy? Did I miscarry? Please help....I am going crazy here
Am 6wks4days pregnant today but yesterday around 2am I had a menstrual like pain followed by light brown discharge but later turned to thick dark brown after some hours u went to see a doctor today and was sent to scan which showed empty sac,, he said he suspects missed abortion but he is not sure yet that I should repeat the scan in a week time.please has anyone experienced this and what was the outcome.