Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
Cause of Hypertension
About This Forum:

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cause of Hypertension

Hello,

I am having problems with hypertension and I am looking for possible causes.  I am a 21 year old male.  I have a anxiety disorder and irritable bowel syndrome.  I am a little overweight and have a BMI of 29-30 (this number may not be an accurate BMI because I am somewhat muscular).  I currently take Paxil (10 mg daily), Vistaril (50 mg daily), and Levsin (.0125 mg up to 4x daily).  My blood pressure at home tends to average 130/70 (give or take a little).  So here are the questions I have:

Can any of the medications I am currently taking possibly cause hypertension?

Can my anxiety (which I suffer with almost all day, every day) possibly cause the high blood pressure readings?

I should also mention that my heart frequently races.  I assume it caused from the anxiety but I thought I would mention it.  I unfortunately do not know if my blood pressure was high before I started taking the medications I am on because I never checked it before.  Other than the anxiety and IBS I am otherwise healthy as far as I know.  

Thank you for your time!