Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
Post PE PH

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Post PE PH

Hello Dr,
I am also wondering if you can answer this for me:
I had two small PE's in 2007, one in arterial segment and one in subsegment that I've completely recovered from. I'm wondering what the chances of developing PH are from having these and how long it would take to have symptoms of PH after the PE. It has been 5 years since I had the PE. Would I have shown symptoms by now if there was any PH? Thank you
Hello again.

The vast majority of people who suffer PEs do NOT develop PH. However, as you suggest, it is possible.  After 5 years, most people would probably have symptoms by now if PH were present.  However, not all PH is created equally and some people can have mild, otherwise insignificant PH.

As I mentioned in the last post, I suggest you see your primary care doc to discuss your concerns but I suspect there is a HIGH likelihood that you do not have PH.

Dr. Rich