Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
Child's foot broken?

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Child's foot broken?

My 11 year old daughter injured her foot.  After 6 days she still cannot even put pressure on it, much less walk.  It seems to be swollen from her big toe across to the outside of the foot.  The dr. said the xrays did not show any breaks.  It ws an urgent care center, since it was a Saturday.  She said it looked like all her bones were broken, because of the growth plates.  Should a radiologist have examined the xrays?  I understand that the growth plates do not show up on xray.  Should I take her to another doctor?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It sounds like your daughter has suffered a fairly significant injury to have so much swelling and to be unable to weight bear. It is possible that a soft tissue injury can be as severe as a broken bone, however, the managment of these is likely to be very different. It is difficult for me to comment on local practice, but often a clinician will make a preliminary interpretation of an xray and then it will be sent to a radiology department for reporting and filing. It is possible that this has happened in you daughter's case, but I cannot be sure.

The growth plates do show up on xrays until they have fused (at the end of growth).

From the clinical information you have provided me with, there would definitely be no harm in getting a further opinion particularly given the degree of swelling and the fact that she can't put pressure on it. There may be other tests that could be performed.