Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
Hepatic Hemangioma

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Hepatic Hemangioma

I have chronic inactive HepB.  A year ago I had a routine u/s and they found 2 7mm lesions that appeared to be benign hemangioma.  I had a follow up MRI and only one was visualized and it again, appeared to be hemangioma.  A u/s 6 months later showed it to be completely stable.

Last week, I had a follow up u/s shows that there are now THREE lesions.  The previous 2 are measuring 9mm and the third one is 8mm.  Again, they still give the appearance of hemangioma.

I'm a little alarmed.  Here's what the doc says:  the difference b/n 7mm and 9mm is within the margin of error for lesions that small and do not necessarily indicate growth.  The third lesion was probably there all along and just not visualized.  He and the radiologist want to follow up with ultrasound in 6 months.  He says he cannot rule out HCC without actually removing them but that no surgeon would mess with 3 tiny lesions that look like hemangioma (and I wouldn't elect that option if it were presented) but that he feels these are harmless.

How likely is it that the third lesion was missed three times using 2 different techniques?  Is the 2mm change in the other 2 (over one year) troubling?  Thank you for any help.
1 Comment
Bump?