Relationships Community
Can you marry the same person twice without being divorced?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can you marry the same person twice without being divorced?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but does anyone know if you can LEGALLY marry the same person twice without getting divorced.  My fiance of 6 years and I were talking about taking off and getting married on our own, the thing is we are getting married next August and we don't want to wait that long.  It feels like we have been waiting to do this forever! Our plan is to take off and not tell anyone (aka elope lol) but come back and get married next year with our families present.  Is this legal.  I haven't really asked anyone because I feel a little dumb about it. But this is what we want to do.  Any advice?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
960021_tn?1270666282
You can always run off and get married to one another, and then later on have another ceremony where friends and family are involved in the entire process. My friend did this not too long ago.
Blank
You can get married and then later renew your vow, but i think you are asking if you can get 2 marriage license and have 2 legal weddings you can only marry man one time legal and then renew vows later in church, with the minister either way it ought to satisfy everyone i hope  luck  jo
Blank
686059_tn?1293837427
Absolutely. You can have a wedding the way you want it. You can marry in a civil ceremony, followed by a traditional religious ceremony. One  legally by state and the religious is a sacred union before God (for those who are Christians). Civil is City Hall & sacred vows is church, followed by the reception of family and guest.

I was a wedding coordinator for a parish under the Ardiocese of Chicago. There are also fees involved in both and if you are interested in a religious ceremony, you need to contact your denomination priest, pastor, elder, etc to discuss their policies and requirements.  Good Luck :)
Blank
686059_tn?1293837427
One more note: If one of the individuals was married before and want to get married in a church, they have to be legally divorced and have to meet with the pastor, Rev, elder, etc., first, before a date can be blocked and documentations will also be requested.
Blank
285927_tn?1380802356
Sure, you can go ahead and make it legal and then later take your vows in front of your loved ones. People do this all the time. It will be more like renewing your vows in front of your loved ones. The legal part will already be a done deal.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Relationships Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...