Relationships Community
Why am I having constant dreams of an EX!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

This bf I am referring to was my 2nd bf from 5yrs ago. This was my first year in college relationship. I was going onto 19 when I meet him for the first time during a college program for new students.

We became friends, then a couple. The relationship lasted at most maybe 8 months. Ended shortly before the summer arrived. (Which is when I met my current bf after being good friends) There was no sex involved but it was somewhat of a sexual relationship. As in over the clothes type of thing. He knew I had a best guy friend since I was in my Jr year of HS. He also knew that me & him were very close, talking about anything and everything. My ex (bf at that time) began to question my friendship with him. Started getting a little jealous of it. To make matters worse, there was this other guy who was started to be interested in me. Again, he became jealous and started getting upset over the fact that this guy was just talking to me. For Christmas he gave me a diamond necklace, started showing it off to his cousins that he had bought it for me. (Even at times showing them the receipt of how much it was) I even had a cousin of his tell me, "No way would I have spent all that on a gf I've had for a short time"

During one of our fights (where once again he questioned my BGF from HS), he threw in my face the fact that I wasn't worth what he spend on that necklace. After so much thinking, Ive had it. I seen my mom go through domestic/verbal abuse no way was I going to wait for him to get to that point. I called off the relationship, but somehow we ended acting like we were still together. Though I knew that was it. We tried to work things out, but nights of talking, chatting or txt became more like insults, bad mouthing me to my sister. (My family thought he was a good guy, even became somewhat upset when I broke up with him...they still didnt know why I had done it)

I couldnt go to with friends to the beach because he claimed all I wanted to go was have sex with different guys there, that was the only reason anyone EVER went to the beach. The bad mouthing continued, he had contact with my sister since they were friends. I kept hearing her with why dont you guys get back together, oh I'm talking to him blah blah blah. FINALLY got rid of him and its been GOOD not thinking of him or anything.

TIL RECENTLY! A month ago, I started to have dreams that I couldnt explain. They were dreams of him. There's one where I felt he was in a major car accident. It made me feel so bad that I started to look up the house # online. I had a friend call the house and what do you know, he still lives there! So that made me feel like ok, I can move on now...there was no car accident. It didnt stop there, I kept having the dreams again. I had one where I am talking to him, even where I am married to him. Of course my current bf is more than just a bf to me....so I told him.

He's known about the whole bad relationship...he was there to pull me through from it. He's known about the dreams & he cant explain them either.....

I hate having these dreams, and though I try to avoid them...it somehow makes its way back into my head....can someone tell me please, WHY AM I HAVING THESE DREAMS ALL OF THE SUDDEN!!?!?!

-ltm

**BTW if you are wondering....I gave the damn necklace back!!! I didnt want to have something that I was given to and told I wasnt worth the price on it!!!
Perhaps there are things you feel guilty about when you had that relationship with him that you still haven't come to terms with. I think you still think about him time to time because you did spend a lot of time with him. It's normal your getting over a past relationship and he meant quite a bit. Time heals all wounds so they say..and I'm pretty certain you won't have dreams of him forever.

Car accidents are usually dreams everyone has so try not to worry about it.. I'm sure it's not a sign of him going to die or anything.
Dreams area way our mind works out things and I can tell you that I have dreams about my college boyfriend-----------------  I am SO past college (like by a couple decades).  Once in a blue moon he'll pop in there . . . right along with various other males that I have no idea why I am dreaming of them.  It is normal to have these dreams.  I think you did the right thing moving on by the way!!  Sounds like a practical idea given what you've written here.  Good luck
From what I understand, having a dream about a car accident rarely means something about a car accident and usually something else, but that is the way your subconscious portrayed it through the dream. Our minds have a way of playing tricks on us, especially through our dreams. I've had dreams of ex boyfriends that I hadn't thought of in years and all the sudden I'm having a very vivid dream about them.