Relationships Community
when you are tested for chlamydia ..can it still pick it up if it is la...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

when you are tested for chlamydia ..can it still pick it up if it is laid dorment?

i am a female and have just found out i have chlamydia a week ago i dont no how long i have had it but i had a baby 8 months ago ... i had test whilst i was pregnant and they came back clear ..so if they came back clear is it possiable whilst it is laid dorment would the sti test for chlamydia miss this or pick it up .... i have been in a relationship for 4 years now and i haven't slept with anybody else so i dont no what t think...
Tags: Chlamydia
Hi. I'm sorry to say that chlamydia dosen't lay 'dormant' as such - true it dosen't always show symptoms (or very minimal symptoms that are sometimes disregarded) for a period of time  - but I remember when I learned about STD's when I was studying nursing that Chlamydia will show positive withing 5 - 7 days of transmission. (In case I remembered wrong and for my own curiosity I googled 'window period of chlamydia' and this is about right - some doc's say 4 - 5 days) - including Dr Hunter Hansfield on the ask the expert forum on medhelp who came up when I googled.

Have you talked to your partner about this? What has he said? Good luck on what must be a very upsetting situation for you, especially with a new baby.
hello thank u 4 my reply u sent me xx so if it never came out in my test when i was pregnant this means it was laid dorment and because a test came back positive nearly 2 yrs later this means i got chlamydia after i had my baby xxits just i got told sumtimes if its laid dorment the test want pick it up x and that now i have been treated it cauld flare back up at any time xxx
Hi.  it is my understanding that if you have had clamydia (chlamydia), you need to be tested up to 3 times and receive negative results for it to be gone.  I could be wrong on that------- but that is my understanding.  However, you would most likely not be negative when having your child if you had had chlaymidia 2 years ago and then positive now.  It doesn't lay dormant and you have flares---------- that is herpes.

So if you are positive for chlamydia, this is a new infection.  

Are you sure you are not talking about herpes?  Chlamydia is treated to eradication but herpes lays dorment.  

If it is truly chlamydia you are talking about, you've been misinformed and talking to your man is essential.  There would be a problem on his end if you have been faithful to him.  goo dluck
i have definitely been faithful ..... and it is defo chlamydia i had, they tested 4 everything and that was the only 1 that came back positive .....
Oh no.  I think you are going to have to have a heart to heart with your man.  The question would be if he is faithful.  I think at this point, I am so sorry to say, this is a very big question.  good luck and let us know how it goes.  
You might try posting this is the STD's forum as well.  good luck
thank u for you replys and help on this much appreciated xxxx i will keep you posted xx i have tryed talkin bout this on numerous of accasions but he just denies and then ends in arguements xxx
lushess,  was your husband also treated when you were 2 years ago?  

Is he being treated now while you are?  

I think you need to call your doctor/nurse and go over the time line with them that is in your records.  

As specialmom has said,  it does not lay dormant,  but you could have had it when you were pregnant but somehow they missed finding it so the test was wrong.
Sorry,  I thought you had had it 2 years ago also.  I misread.

I still think you need to talk to your doc - one of the two of you has been unfaithful - and if it's not you,  then it must be him.
you would of known pregnant thats when i found out,and a smear can detect it,so as other posts have said if you were clear then it is time to question your partner