Respiratory Disorders Community
Can't get a deep breath / Difficulty Breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 401-528 comments:
Have asthma, also suffer from hayfever, sinus, but at the moment for the last three weeks have had lumpy feeling in throat, had this in 2009 did a barium test of oesophageaus and came out clear, however was asked to take diapazem 2 mg, took it  for a week felt better and stopped,
In september 2011, had the same feeling went to the doctors because also had a pain in stomach,  gave me barium and contrast for scan had a allergy reaction and received cortozone, Dr did not take much notice of feeling in throat so went to another doctor who put me got me to see an ent who sent a camera and said that there is a drip to back of throat and to get scan, also mentioned that the ridge of nose is not straight bt that I already knew got scared and did not go for scan. Also had a gastrocopy did HUT which came out clear. had FBT done not cholostrol, my ESR was about 45 it was in red so asked the doctor, he said they only worry if it is 3 or more times the normal limit.
I also noticed in the last year or so where I could see like black cobwebs on and off, and had eye pressure done which was 19 in Feb 2011,

About three weeks In March 2012, ago three weeks ago , noticed that the digital clock at 1:00 am was double and so was the radio light , thought it was because I had just woken up a I haven't been sleeping too well, went to hospital, did some basic test like tapping on the funny bones asking to raise hand , read the chart for eye testing etc and then told me to go to the emergency the next mortning to get a proper check done.
When I went there was vomiting as I had a headache and when the nurse did the eye pressure it was 21-22, but by the time I saw the eye docotr who did all the test pressure had dropped to 15 and below.
Then saw the nose and throat  doctr who sent a camera down and said I had polyps, but the doctor I saw in 2011, never mentioned abot polyps,( Did my scan said I have polys and cysts mainly in my left side but my right side of the nose is the worst) has anyone had this procedure done, and did you have these symptomps,  I have a irritating cough on and off and try to suck on a sweet, at hospital they gave me Nasonex which seemed to block nose in the 1st hour that I inhaled it and clear up about an hour or tow later for about 5 hours, brought a nasal flo (Neti pot) worked first yime  had quite a few hours relief after that did not help at all. Had to take Clamoxyl Duo forte 850mg/125mg which had amoxycillin and potassium clavunate, as well as Otrivin nasal drops 6 hourly but the box said 8-10 hrs for three days right nose only so I took two sprays just once a day, then I ffelt as if I was jumpy could not sleep as soonas I went to a deep sleep I would jump, as if from a fright. also felt like the tablet was stuck in chest and I would feel itcy here and there for no reason saw the doctor said it might be te Clomoxyl so when I took the next couple of doses noticed it was because of that and after about 3 hours the itch feeling would go away it was on my neck area and other parts  of body that I fet the itichiness,  Dr put me on Clarc 250 for 7 days, and had to see the doctor after 7 days he also took me off nasonex and put me on Azep Nasal spray 12 hr relief for 3 days felt relief  much better than nasonex, and saw another doctor whnot my doctor, as he was away for the easter holidays Wed-Tuesday 2012, that doctor asked me to continue using the Azep but I did not as i was feeling better but on the weekend Friday felt like my nect ws goin to go into a spasm as I had this tightness feeling mainly on left side of neck and a funny feeling on face left side which came and went, by Sunday I went and got a massage to help me relax and that was aching for the next two days, so on sunday took a dose of panadol, to relieve the pain.
I feel like I can get proper breaths, my mouth is so dry  at times that I feel like I cant even swallow as I mainly breath from my mouth, I get this light headded feeling manybe because I am not breathing properly , when I bend down my nose gets worse  even if I get it cleard it stuffs up as soon as I bend down, working with babies dont seem to help to. the docotr said I have to get the infection fixed first before they can do an operation.
I am hardly sleeping I waslk up and down in the night , trying to inhale hot wter, drink hotwater to loosen congestion . My friend gave me a thing called sinus blend that works for her partner but hasnt helped me it has basil, peppermint and eucaluptus oild to just sniff it or inhale it, I feel like I have a lot of mucus, I used to sneeze alot but now dont even do that much, it used to drip but now it does not even drip, feel like this mucos thing thing is there stuck and need to clear throat, and if not the muscous feeling its a lumpy feeling, and since yesterday a burning sensation in  upper part of chest  area not sure if it was the sinus blend , the sensation is like when you suck on vicks cough  drops the cooling/burning menthol feeling it leaves behind did have a cought drop yesterday not the full thing just about 1/4 of the vicks vapour drops, have had it before but it never dod anything like that previously.  Please anyone with any help would be appreciated I cant even do the  breathing technique closing one nostril because I just can't breathe through the right and feel like neck is swollen from the inside, Its like if your fingers are  swollen you can see it as wwell as feel it when you try to bend it  the heavyness that what it fells like  on neck area but cant see any swelling from outside.

Something to help you clear the nose, so that you can do the anulom vilom pranayam.
1.Do the ujjayi pranayam twice a day.
2.Heat a quarter teaspoon of butter, until it melts and let it cool. Then apply this melted butter to the inside of both nostrils. Then try to take some deep breaths.
3.Lie down on left side and try to breath through both nostrils.
4.Take steam inhalation.
5.Place both palms of hand in front of navel,then raise both your hands up(4 to 8 seconds), while breathing in very slowly, then hold the breath and stretch your hands out and bring them back, then bring your hands down very slowly(4 to 8 seconds), while breathing out very slowly.It is very exhausting, but will open up the nostrils.Do this 3 times.

Keep trying all these suggestions, until you can do anulom vilom with both nostrils.

Ujjayi pranayam
Procedure: While breathing in, tighten throat(contract glotis) and there will be sound from back of throat, then drop chin(rest chin on chest), hold breath as long as possible.Then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril.
Duration: 5 – 21 times

How to do Ujjayi
When you clear your throat, you tighten your throat and breath out, twice, with a pause in between. . Now if you reverse this, that is, tighten the throat and breath in continuously for abour 8 to 12 seconds, then hold your breath for 4 seconds with the chin down, then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril, you have just done Ujjayi pranayam.You will feel like coughing initially.
April 11 ,2012
I have exactly the same symptoms (I'm 32)...I am very frustrated because it's been going on for about 10 years now and all the doctors say it is related to the anxiety. However I tried various meds, therapy and still no result. I am trying to get to the bottom of it. Going to the doctor for the 4th time in two months. Good luck!
wow!!! this is the first time i have ever heard anyone describe the exact torture that is my life! well at least sometimes that is. every single thing you described about your breathing issue is identical to me!!! i sometimes go a month or more without the problem but then like today for instance i have been trying so hard just to breath that i didnt even get any work done and my jaw is all out of whack from yawning so hard to try and get just one satisfying breath! i feel that it could possibly be iron deficiency so i just took an iron supplement so we will see how that goes. i am 30 years old and am just at a loss. it wouldnt suprise me tho if it was something as simple as iron deficiency tho and that would explain the dr.s having no clue what the problem is.
WHAT IS HAVA AN THE OTHER U SAID ON UR POST, MY DAUGHTER IS 17  AN IS HAVING WHERE SHE FEELS HER CHEST GET TIGHT AN HER THROAT FEELS LIKE IS CLOSING,ALWAYS HAS TO TRY AN CATCH HER BREATH, WHAT CAN I DO FOR HER,SHES BEEN TO THE E.R SO MANY TIMES AN LIKE ALWAYS DRZ KEEP SAYIN ITS HER ASTHMA I TOLD THEM ITS NOY THAT SHE KNOWS WHAT ASTHMA ATTACKS FEEL LIKE, PLEASE ANYTHING WELL HELP.SHE CANT EVEN LAY FLAT DOWN TO SLEEP. I HAVE ANXIETY AN DEPRESSION I GOT BIPOLAR AFTER MY SON WAS KILLED, I KNW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE AN ITS DIFFERENT IN WHAT SEE IN HER,SHE ALSO BURPS ALOT
Hi everyone,
I hope you have found an answer to your problem, I have sinus problems with cyst and polyps, dr says that its infected as the glands in my throat are swollen bt no scan or x ray taken for throat, however a ct was done for synus and thats how they found out the problem I also sneeze quite a bit, am on the 2nd dose of antibiotics, have asthma, last couple of days I had poblems where I found it hard to breath due to blocked nose so I would get the kettle going open the lid and fan the steam onto the face dont put face straigt over kettle, when I found that I could breath easier I would walk away and also take puffer. I also had a heavy feeling around neck tightness, now I am having jerky movement so as soon as I fall asleep I wake up with a jerk or shock as soon as body relaxes..
Get to bed put head down and back to stuffy nose, Have used nasonex. In the first hour it blocks me up then get a bit of relief only for a couple of hrs then back to the same problem. Also taking Azep drops 12 hr relief now find that  it stuffs my nose up more, at the start it did relieve, used a netti pot first was good, cleared then back to square one,I am going to see ENT I do get headaches and vomit on and off.
Asked doctor to do a scan of neck as he says my glands, but he did not worry he did a FBC and ESR, FBC he said was O,K ESR was in its 40's bt wasn't concerned he said he will worry only if it is 3 or more times its level, bt did not give me another ESR, glands are enlarged and thats why I cant sleep, needs me back when this course of atibiotics finish so he could put me on another round that will be the 3rd, glands on neck are still there and I need to have a good nights sleep.  Dont know what to do, scared to use Azep as my nose is clear bt will get stuffy when go to bed then from there on might clear and get stuffed after a couple of hours do the steam thing this goes all night and also get wheezy and need puffer. Has anyone had the same feeling of been jerked up as soon as they start to fall asleep, nose stuffes up worse than when seated, tickle on throat and start to cough heavy feeling tightness around throat area like a lump in the throat that might come and go
If you are going through this please post a notice and what treatment or action was taken, so others would benefit If anyone has had polys, cysts and bone straightened in nose please tell us hw you felt and how long was the cure for
Worried as I want to know if anyone had not much problems after the operation or what you thought about the operation and have the cyst and polys come back was it a failure. or did you'll have some relief and happy that it was done, how long for the cure. Keep us posted.  good luck and God Bless you all.
hay Swiftyzmommie, from my own personal experience, what helped me was,slowed down breathing in through my nose not my mouth making sure i am using my diaphragm and not my chest, nice deep, long breaths hope she gets some relief soon.
I'm about 17 and I can not get a deep enough breath. It like every time I breathe in, I feel as if I still can't breathe. Its almost like a suffocating feeling. Its really scary. I really want to know what it means.
I have the same thing im 15 and have trible breathing and it just comes on, ive had loads of test and went to a specialst who told me it was just how i breathed. I have an ingaler but it doesnt do any good my dads inhaler works better.
My mum wont let me use my inhaler cause she thinks it doesnt work witch it doesnt but its better than anything.
Thank you!  I have the same symptoms as others and some days I spend the whole day just trying to take a deep breath.  I also am not panicked, depressed, or anxious on these days -- I'm actually tired and sleepy on these days. But my thyroid does go up and down these days.  I have Hashmoto's and a large goiter.  I was wondering if the goiter was narrowing my passageway for air.  Anyway, thanks for tipping me off about the thyroid problems possibly being the cause of this.  I didn't know that.  I think that's my this is happening to me because I've been hyper-T all my life and I think I'm not finally going hypo-T ----- with bouts of hyper-T mixed in.
I wanted to add one more possible reason for this.  I had a problem 30 yrs ago when I was in my late 20's.  I could not get a deep breath.  For another reason, I went to a new chiropractor and told him about this.  He put me on my back and felt the top of my stomach.  He felt the area and showed it to me.  Sometimes when we upchuck with a lot of force, we sometimes can get a type of herniated area up there where the top of the stomach it now up into the lower esophagus.  He pushed down on it firmly several times with his big thumb until he got it back down again.  After that, I had no more trouble inhaling.  I felt such a relief instantly.  
I have the same problem. I have had it for about 10 years. It started when i was in third grade. It is TERRIBLE. I was diagnosed with anxiety problems... Sometimes I feel like I must lengthen my neck and torso to
Get a deep breath. I struggle to get a breath by yawning clearing my throat etc. it has to be one of the most irritating things
thank you...I think u might have saved me...Ive been so out of it latley..sort of breathe tired...chest pains, dizzy, my flanks have been killin me. I was diagnosed with anemia about a year ago...& it had gotten alot better up until a few months ago..my doctor did some test & said that I was anemic again but that this time my hemoglobin/hematacrite was good..it was just my iron that was low ( in the past it was both) so I figured It would be much better this time around...so I upped eating meat..exercised regularly..however it was lot worse then last time(well in hindsight) because all the symptoms that I mentioned above started developing ( last week I swore I was gonna die..it was so brutal) you nailed everything...including the flank pain...thank you so much
I am currently suffering from the "can't get a deep breath thing."  I am constantly trying to make myself yawn to get that blessed breeath.  I am gulping air as I do this and creating trapped gas pains also.  I can't carry on conversations without struggling to breath...and I'm a teacher which makes my day hell trying to talk/teach/ and breath.  I get dizzy from trying so hard to get that deep breath.  I also had this like 15 years ago/had lung tests run and found nothing.  My 10 year old daughter just went through it for several months.  I never thought I'd get it back but it's been back for 2 months.  I have a ton of reflux lately too.....I am losing my sanity over trying to get a good breath and wondering if/when this will end.
You need to exhale the stale air sitting in the lungs.
The pranayam described in my post of Oct 11, 2011 will help you with the breathing problem.  You do it yourself, twice a day, and notice the improvement in your breathing.Let me know how you feel after 21 days, and your feedback will help others.
So, I have iron deficiency anemia and ve'been taking iron.  Before I was diagnosed with iron deficiency I had LFts elevation and increased bleeding.
Now I am holding on taking iron since it can be toxic to the liver.

Why my liver is toxic?  I wonder if that SOB coming from the liver.   All blood goes through the liver to get to the lungs.  every lun test is fine.  If liver is congested or "sick", the blood does not go through it that easily or to the lungs then.  After eating breathing is more difficult.  All my viruses tests negative so far, all autoimmune work up was negative.  Unfortunately in our era there are no real good tests for liver flukes, doctors can not test for them that easily, they do not even think about flukes!  These flukes can live in the lungs too.  I went from totally normal to one day unable to take deep breath.  My case is liver fluke, I do not know what kind though..There is nothing else, I do not drink, do not use drugs..etc  I ate sushi, raw vegetables (after just cleaning with water), had dogs/cats in my house and parasites concious and paranoid only past 6 months out of 40 years of my life with 10 years of difficulties breathing.  Next is getting fatty liver, HTN, cirrhosis, big stomach and weight gain.
Nobody can treat this properly.  All treatment is broken up to Rx HTN, ascitis, SOB.  Nobody treating or looking for the cause: parasites! flukes!
They destroy your liver and eat you alive and nobody can help!

I wonder if all people on the forum have liver disease from parasites (flukes).
when liver is stressed, kidneys get stressed too, the flank pain is from stressed kidneys.
There is no way to know the cause, no lab does regular fluke tests
I am suffering from this problem since I was 18 years old, I am 32 now, it comes and goes, but recently it doesn't leave me, night and day, even yawning doesn't work now.
I was born with coarctation of aorta, my aorta was only 30% open, my blood pressure was always above 170/100, once it was 180/120, i remember it scared my work doctor that he sent me home to relax, at the age of 24 I have had a stent plantation in the aorta and it solved the problem totally, I don't know if the problem is related to my heart.
another thing, I recently have a lot of gas, and i discovered that i can breath after all the gas is out, my belly was like a balloon, when the gas is out I can breath, maybe it is another reason.
I am a smoker by the way.
25, male. Same exact issues as everyone else here. I am sorry you are all going through this too. There is some sort of bittersweet relief knowing that I am not the only one in the world dealing with this. I hope with all of our Dr visits etc we might be able to help one another out. Something I have not seen anyone else post - I lived around an excess of black mold in my last apartment (slumlord just painted over it before I moved in). I have a sneaking suspicion that this did it. My Dr's did not entertain that thought for one second - but as everyone else has experienced, they gave me a clean bill of health and told me I had anxiety. blah blah blah. Thoughts? Also, has anyone else been experiencing heart pain? Connor
38 I also am having the same symptoms u are having and u know what i have not seen any other posting about the black mole issue. I just moved into a new home found out that there is black mold there and the slumlord just painted over it.i started getting mild headaches,then the breathing problem came on days later could not take a deep breath at all started to panic so that made it worse,went to the E.R three times in one week just for them to send me home said it was an anxiety attack(sure)So i went back the 4th time in one week took every test possible to tell me i have acid reflux.I went back for the 5th time in 2 weeks because i cant get a full breath of air so they admit me keep me there for 2 days to tell me there is nothing wrong but put me on protronix for acid reflux.I know this for sure it all started when i was exsposed to this black mole thing.
Is there coffee brewing when it's hard to breathe? I have a hard time breathing when coffee is brewing. Like breathing through a straw and the strangest allergy anyone around me has heard of, but very real. Worse than second hand smoke.
you had that done a long time ago? ever have this issue again?
i'm 18 and i've been dealing with all these symptoms for about 4 years now. i haven't been to a doctor because i doubt it'll help. it scares me quite a bit. i'm not out of shape and i don't smoke, so i have no idea what it could be. i do hope to find out what this is so maybe i can find a way to fix it.
I'm at work at the moment but will read this thread when I get home…

I have have this same breathing problem for around 10 years now. It comes and goes and is with me presently. I can have it for a couple of days or months on end. It's hard to enjoy life when you are constantly trying to catch a good breath!! I can't attribute it to anything in my diet or anything going on in my life - it just comes and goes. The longest period I went without it was about a year but I've had it regularly late. I went to a couple of doctors about 6 years ago and had no results and I've just put up with it this entire time… I think it's time to go back to the Dr. Again sorry I haven't read all the comments yet but I will because this takes over my life and I would love to be freed from it!!
There is lack of oxygen in your lungs. Do this exercise to exhale the old air in your lungs and so increase the oxygen level.

Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Kapalbhati pranayam - Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second.(Just like blowing your nose). Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 30 to 300 times.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently. If you do this for more than one minute, then do it before eating or on empty stomach.
May 15 ,2012
I developed this problem after becoming sensitive to an ingredient in multi-vitamins and exercise supplements. STOP taking all over the counter supplements. Fast (don't eat or drink anything) for at least 24 hours. Ingest nothing but water (and any prescribed medications). It will take up to 96 hours for the substance that is causing the reaction to leave your system, but you will get better. I promise.  
I now exactly how you feel I have had "air hunger" since August and I think my problem is from a food allergy. It always seems worse after I eat of drink something. I have given up wheat and gluten and started a food journal. I was told the same thing that it was anxiety or hyperventalation but that is not what is going on with me. Try a elimination diet it could be an allergy. I just got tested for celiac yesterday so still waiting for results. Hang in there and hope you figure it out.
I've been reading over a lot of the posts on this forum.  I also have had problems with catching my breath on and off since I was a teenager (about 45 yrs ago)  I've had to find my own way around it too as like with most people it was said to be due to anxiety (which of course would not help matters) but I recently discovered something that helps and I would like to share this.
When I was shown some exercises by the physiotherapist for pain in my neck/cervical vertebra, I found that they helped me breathe much easier.  The exercise in question was where you lie down, and lift you chin ever so slightly towards your chest, to the count of 10, repeat 10 x, by the time I do number 4 or 5 I am able to take a deep breath without problem.  It is such a relief!  Hope it helps someone somewhere.
By the way I don't suffer from anxiety and am on no medication whatsoever.
really happy to have come across this site... Kinda. I'm a 23 year old runner/horse trainer/ ER nurse.. Healthy as I am happy, no depression or anxiety here. Honestly... No reason to lie. Started having this issue about 6-7 years ago when I started hanging out in my parents' basement a lot. Can't catch my breath, feel like I need to take excruciatingly deep breaths and sometimes only yawning works, but then when it's really bad, even yawning becomes difficult.. Chest starts to hurt from breathing so much... Even downloaded a video on YouTube of a dude yawning to make it easier. Have had every cardiac test under the sun, all negative. My dad has the same problem and usually at the same time I'm having an issue (it comes and goes). Doc prescribes us Xanax but all it does is make me not want to kill someone or just lie down and cry. My o2sat and ABGs are fine. Exercising doesn't exactly make it worse, just more frequently maybe. Cigarette smoke, pot smoke, and basements make it worse, the outdoors makes it better. And it's not anxiety/depression, because I've spent weeks at a time traveling the world, the happiest and most care free moments of my life, and still feel like I'm suffocating. Maybe the aspartame thing, or the chiropractor thing, but it's got nothing to do with " sucking my stomach in" depression, anxiety, overweight, etc. I'm a nurse, I know lung sounds, and I don't wheeze. Have exercise induced asthma and have since age 8, but this is totally different. Maybe I'll switch to all organic and see a chiro, but otherwise, I'm lost. Allergy meds don't help either... I have an appt with my favorite pulmonologist in a few weeks... We're even doing some research projects together so I know he's not closed minded. I'm going to let him know all of my (and your) symptoms and then give him hell til he helps me out. I'll let ya know then til then, good luck, and just keep breathin
This is all so familiar to me. I began with the breathing problems when I was 15...I am now 63. Over the years doctors gave me inhalers which never worked, or told me it was anxiety. I learned very quickly to control the real anxiety of air hunger by reminding myself that the next satisfying breath WOULD come. Sometimes gripping the back of a chair and hunching over, sometimes positioning my body in certain manners depending on whether sitting, lying, or walking. (Well, walking I would have to stop and hunch over for a second to draw a better breath.)

Anyway, after all these years, I have been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis. I am now going through procedures to see if they can determine where it may have come from, or if there is no known origin. (Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.) Someone way, way up this thread mentioned sarcoidosis. This, too, is loss of lung function due to scarring. PCPs aren't too familiar with much in the way of lungs except a COPD diagnosis --which is totally different than Pulmonary Fibrosis. If you find no answers, please consider seeing a pulmonologist. Just my two cents worth. HTH. :)
Are you on birth control pills? I had that problem, went through so many treatments for asthma that never worked. I started noticing my shortness of breath always happened at the same time after a year of frustration and no one knowing what was going on. After much research I went off the pill and was fine after that.
I'm am so relieved to know that I'm not the only one with these issues. I'm 16 and I have been dealing with breathing problems for roughly 10 years now. It was bearable at first, but in the last two years, it has worsened dramatically. I constantly am not able to breathe deeply, as if something is stopping me after I get to a certain point and it hurts when I try too hard to breathe. I often find myself panting when I'm just sitting and it takes a lot of effort to get a decent breath of air. I have a variety of other health problems like scoliosis, restless legs syndrome, regular migraines, etc... I've been told that several of my problems may be related, but so far, I have yet to know the underlying cause or simply what I'm afflicted with. Iron deficiency anemia has been suggested to me as one of the causes, as well as various heart conditions and asthma.

It's starting to affect my lifestyle, as I find that my endurance is not as good as it used to be (I can't run for more than a minute and not gasp for air when I stop) and I'm starting to gain weight because I'm having so much trouble exercising. I haven't had a lot of the tests that I see people mentioning and my doctor is avoiding the issue whenever I bring it up. My parents are brushing it off when I talk about it, so I can't really go see a specialist either. Any ideas?
Ive gotten some relief from using a salt inhaler. I'm not sure if it's the salt or if it's focusing on deep inhalations. Also, I found a book recently called "Breathing Through the entire Body" or something close to that.
It's about what the Buddha advised concerning the breath.

I'm having similar difficulty just recently, getting winded by just walking.
So, I'd appreciate any advice you could share as well.
Good Luck.
I have had this for about a year.  Am so glad that I have seen this.  I had a spiro test first time I went to the doctor and I have the lungs of a 27 year old (I'm 35) which was great as I am fit and run and swim etc.  It is definitely not panic or anxiety driven - I get it sometimes when I am chilling in front of the TV and when I was on holiday. I'm going back to the doctor because last night I had another 'episode' which, despite trying to do breathing exercises, left me light headed.  I like the term 'air hunger' because that is exactly what it's like.  Three things I am going to look at after the doctors visit today:  the contraceptive pill, damp in my house (there's no mould but it is an old place with some damp in) and anaemia (I'm a veggie so maybe I'm not keping up my iron).  Anyone else out there with Air Hunger a veggie?
This post is for all who have suffered with being unable to get a deep breath and have to yawn or strech your neck back to breathe.  I have had the same symptoms for years and found out that I have laryngopharygeal reflux.  I have gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) and a hiatal hernia.  Basically, it means that the gastic juices from your stomach goes up your esophagus and actually reaches the laryngopharynx which is the part of the throat that connects to the esophagus. It becomes inflamed and irritated and can cause a variety of symptoms, including hoarseness, postnasal drip, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, indigestion, wheezing, chronic cough, globus pharyngis and chronic throat-clearing. Some people with LPR have heartburn, while others have little or none of this symptom. This is because the material that refluxes does not stay in the esophagus for very long. In other words, the acid does not have enough time to irritate the esophagus.
Adults who are afflicted with LPR often experience the acrid taste of bile emanating from the back of their throat. This is also likely to be accompanied by a lump-like sensation in the throat, making it difficult to swallow. The throat may also seem to burn and breathing can be difficult. These symptoms are most often prevalent just after waking.
I experienced the latest attack of this because I had a salivary gland infection and was on strong antibiotics for 20 days which irritated my stomach lining.  My gastroenterologist increased my Nexium to 40mgs. 20 in the morning and 20 at night.  You can also use Prilosec which is over the counter. I also take Mylanta at the onset of the shortness of breath to help.  He also gave me a prescription for Carafate which is used to treat inflamamation of the esophagus. I also put blocks under the back legs of my bed to raise my head six inches when I sleep so the acid does not go into my esophagus while I sleep.  I stay away from coffee, cafffiene, chocolate, mint and any spicy foods. It has helped with the symptoms.  Hope this helps.
I have had the same symptoms for years and found out that I have laryngopharygeal reflux.  I have gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) and a hiatal hernia.  Basically, it means that the gastic juices from your stomach goes up your esophagus and actually reaches the laryngopharynx which is the part of the throat that connects to the esophagus. It becomes inflamed and irritated and can cause a variety of symptoms, including hoarseness, postnasal drip, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, indigestion, wheezing, chronic cough, globus pharyngis and chronic throat-clearing. Some people with LPR have heartburn, while others have little or none of this symptom. This is because the material that refluxes does not stay in the esophagus for very long. In other words, the acid does not have enough time to irritate the esophagus.
Dear ashraf,  please tell me that you have plans to quit smoking.  If not,
what you have dealt with with the coarctation of aorta will seem mild.  As you must know, smoking causes early death from heart problems, lung diseases, and multiple types of cancer.  They are slow miserable diseases, that could be prevented by quitting.  Regarding the shortness of breath and gas.  You may have GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease), which means the stomach acid is flowing back up into the esophagus.  This will eventually causes erosion of the esophagus and permanent damage.  There are a number of Over the Counter medicines that you can try.  Sam's club has about the cheapest price on Ranitadine (generic for Zantac.)  Usually, 75mg. to 150mg. twice daily regularly may help.
Hi Kinia,  Glad to hear you have been started on the protonix and hopefully that has helped with the GERD (acid reflux).  I would hope that you have gone to an asthma/allergist for testing to determine what allergies you have.  On a lab test, the IGE levels will rise if you are reacting to allegens.
There is allergy testing that can be done to determine specific allergies.
I have heard of severe respiratory/sinus reactions to black mold.  Since you know that you have been exposed to that, surely there are doctors that can specialize in that.  An option would be to contact the allergy/asthma department of a large teaching hospital for an appointment.  I have been to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore to determine what really was wrong with me, after 61 years of being told "it's just asthma", At age 62, Hopkins tested me and following a CT of chest--I am told "you never had asthma, born with bronchiectasis(no cure), now colonized with pseudomonas in airways (no cure), and the last----Common Variable Immune Disorder (no cure--an inherited condition).  All of these are treatable, and my quality of life is hugely improved with all of Hopkins interventions and treatments.  I can walk a mile without getting short of breath 3 or 4 times/week.  I'm definitely less depressed.  I'm angry at the pulmonologist that treated me for 15 years, and despite my monthly bronchitis infections, requiring antibiotics and steroids, told me "just asthma".  Hopefully, you will be able to find out what is wrong with you, don't stop until you get answers.  Search on-line to educate yourself on the topic of "black mold exposure".  Good Luck.
Hi Swifty,  Consider that you all may have refulx (GERD--gastro esophageal reflux disease), meaning the stomach acid splashes back up into the esophagus.  There is a specialized diet for this, as well as over the counter meds., like Zantac (Sams has cheap prices on the generic Ranitadine), usually 75mg. to 150mg. twice daily.  For more severe GERD, consider Prilosec otc. 20mg. twice daily.  Usually, this condition is worse when you lay down after eating.  You should not lie down for at least 2 hrs. after eating anything.  Foods that aggravate this are tomatoes, spicey foods and seasonings, greasey or fried foods, acidic foods--oranges, grapefruits.
It most definitely can cause chest pains in the middle of chest, belching, gas, and a lump in the throat.  Also, obesity can aggravate the condition.
For mild cases, usually an antacid from the store, like Tums will quickly help; however, for the long run--it should be diagnosed by a doctor, so that perscription strength meds. can  be prescribed.  Steroids can make this much worse, and if not treated, it can cause permanent erosion of the tissues of the esophagus; they are not made to handle the strong acids in the stomach.  Good Luck.
Hi Mail, the iron-deficiency anemia is usually easily diagnosed on a blood test and treatment may require increased red meats and an iron supplement.  Anemia can cause shortness of breath, also many cigarette smokers wonder why they get so out of breath when they do any activity---it is because the toxic gas from cigarettes sits on the red blood cell and takes up the space where the oxygen molecule is supposed to sitting on; therefore, they are not getting the oxygen they need.  So, if you smoke you must stop.
Other possibilities are asthma, which would cause shortness of breath.  Early asthma may only cause shortness of breath, later comes the cough, and phlegm and bronchitis episodes.  Asthma symptoms in early stages may come on with exertion only (there are inhalers which can quickly open the airways either prior to a lot of activity like sports, or when the symptoms occur--these inhalers are by perscription only).  Don't use the over the counter inhalers (I think they may have been taken off the market, as people were dying because they overused them).  If you get no relief from your shortness of breath, definitely consider seeing a pulmonologist or asthma/allergy specialist.  If still no better, consider a cardiologist, as many people overlook the connection between the heart and the respiratory problems.  I doubt that there is a cardiac issue, since you are very young.
Onko se se astman oire,että en voi hengittää sisään ulos itsestään.Vaan joudun vetämään sisään ja ulos.SIten että teen sen liikeen itse.Eikä liike tule ihan itsestään.
I am facing the very same problem but in very particular situations like carried out with curiosity, anxiety, mental stress and in tension....
I think yoga is helpful this kind of disorders and problems....
Definitely its going to help....
I am an older male and was reading the symptoms you mentioned and they match mine but the burping is especially what caught my attention.  If she has what I have I believe my problems stem from dust mite allergy.  Has she been tested?  Unfornunately, the only thing I ever really found that helped each summer is blasting the air conditioner unit to get the temperature down into the 60s - this will also help dehumidify.  This really seems to be the only thing that takes care of it (getting rid of carpeting is also important).  Right now I do not have access to strong A.C. so as an alternative I have found that blowing a small  heater right towards my face provides termporary relief (I think it burns up all the allergens)

Good luck
Did anyone ever find a solution? I've been having this problem for years. I'm not overweight, don't smoke, healthy diet, heck I'm even almost done with that Insanity workout.  It's still so frustrating to randomly be sitting and I feel like I can't expand my lungs enough to get a satisfying breath!
I posted before under a different name.
I think the symptoms of this difficulties taking a deep breath..etc can be caused by parasites.  It can be intestinal like tapeworm, or liver flukes, or lung flukes.  The more wierd the symptoms the more likely parasites are the cause.
Nobody looking into this because nobody knows how to diagnose parasites, there are no good tests available for anybody.  Stool tests usually are negative for everybody, they ordered so rarely that lab techs do not have experience at all with this, it is a very subjective.  May be Parasitic Disease Consultants.., try to get to them.. Their testing is very limitted and most parasites still not available for testing even with them.

Most doctors will not be willing to test you for parasites (their eyes will be wide open at you)
If they agree for testing, they will not know what to order except stool ova/parasites.  Do not have your hopes that they will treat you.
There is no reasearch on parasites in the US, most articles are from Asia.  American doctors are very behind in this, way behind developing countriries
American doctors are too confident with Board Certification on the wall. They are not right, they can harm just because of luck of expert knowledge on this. They practice their self defencive medicine, seemingly do not look to care if they get you better, they just follow what was recommended in the textbook or by medical board.  They do not care about being right, they think they are right, want to appear smart..but their actions in the diagnosis and treatments makes them look very stupid.
They will never want to think "outside the box"
I would always question their opinion.
All research on parasites in the US done on Malaria and Schistosomiasis only, no other parasites do exist on this planet according to their expert opinions.
No good testing widely available for any parasites except malaria.
Parasites are very difficult to diagnose and treat.

You can buy drugs off internet if you do not find a doctor to give you cleaning parasites courses.  
Do not mess up with herbs.  You'll definetly get parasites from them.

Mebendazole, Praziquantel are the drugs to take.  Praziquantel kills all flukes, see doses online, blogs, read what people say.  The longer you can take it the better.  in the US pharmacy it is very expensive.  It will take you longggg time to get rid of all parasites.

Last time I had 2 day course of praziquantel 25mg/kg TID I did not have breathing problems for 2 weeks.  Then it started all over again.  I am trying to take it longer now.  I am taking 600 mg TID for the past 2 weeks and want to do this for a month or months.  Breathing is so better.  Nobody knows how to treat this stuff for sure.. I do not know either.  Initially I got to praziquantel because I thought I got liver fluke, then I saw that my 10 year long struggle with breathing got better on praziquantel.

I also tried Food Grade H2O2 to drink in diluted drops form.  Breathing was like "a new me".  I got severe face flushes
as a side effect and had to stop it because face redness got out of control, plus I got nausea.  I was on 15 drops QD.
If I did not work and stayed home... Praziquantel does not do that like face flashes.

I'll continue what I am doing and will write later.
I havent read all the posts in about a year. But as i know many will be reading in hope to find an answer. i think i may be able to help. Im not going to try and convince anyone i found the cure but what i think the problem is for many that your liver is too congested.  This is a common symptoms reported in people with liver disease.  But then why are my liver function tests normal? (some of you may have elevated bilirubin) This is because you dont have liver disease but what you do have is an excess of "liver stones" enlarging your liver which prevents the diaphragm from moving down and getting a deep breath.  This is also why it may be worse at night and easiest to breath in the morning.  Because if you take medications during the day they build up and congest your liver and sleep gives your liver time to process. I know it seems silly that many of year have spent years looking for the cause and looked into rare diseases possibly and spents money on other trials when it may be just a harmful but very very distressing enlarged liver.  

If you are still reading then you have a deep breathing problems and atleast havent completely got rid of it with all the methods suggested on this forum. First let me present some knowledge.  Liver stones are not gallstones.  They are stones that form in your liver(you can look up exactly why they form) and some get stuck in the bile duct that connects to the gallbladder. One waqy of knowing this is if small dosages of medications effect you more then others like in those with liver disease because the drugs are metabolized slower.

Ill cut to the chase. Visit CURE ZONE to get more details on doing a liver flush but mainly you just drink alot of epsom salt and olive oil and hope to get the stones out.  Many dont get the stones out on the first couple attemps because either there to crowded or to large and need to be broken down first which liver flush advocates call the prep.  I already know when you research liver flush on google there will be skepticism on whether there actually stones from the liver.  I can quickly give you the argument that puts all the doubts aside. Anti-liver flush advocates believe the stones are made from the olive oil and epsom salt you ingest but why then do some many report no stones on some attempts and 100s to 200 stones on other attmeps using the same ingredients.  

For those at the point of doing anything to get rid of this i will add in a couple things.  FIrst be ready for the worst two weeks of your life in between flushes. you will be detoxing heavy metals and other toxins that accumlated over time due to stagnent bile flow. And if you take medication it will be like you split it in half. Also of importnace. Magnesium deficiecy may be why the stones came about so id get a rbc magnesium and get that up(if this was your cause you may also notice kidney stones and calcification/skin cysts.

good luck, flush safely(dont think its very dangerous rarely every does a stone get stuck)
This liver congestion with stone formation is caused by a few flukes living in the liver's bile system.
The longer people live, the more fukes/parasites they aquire..

I agree about liver congestion causing breathing problems, totally true..
Hi all, I also experience the difficulty breathing during day and after eating. I also had a severe coughing for about 1 year to the point where I would cough till I almost passed out, or suddenly I was chocking for about 30 seconds with no warning. Finally I found a Dr who diagnosed generalised anxiety disorder, but more importantly she diagnosed Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM)

Since learning about the condition and how to breath the correct way known as "diagrammatic breathing” I am able to reduce the shortness of breath symptoms and catch my breath more. You find YouTube vids on the diagrammatic breathing method. Have a read about PVFM, it just might be part of your medical issues.
To everybody who is having trouble getting in a full breath of air. I had the same issue for quite some time but I think I found a solution for myself that I would like to share with others.

Here was my problem. There were certain times when I felt I needed to take a deep breath. When I would breathe in deeply, it would feel as though the breath of air would just hit a wall and it wouldn't fill up my lungs at all. Then I would feel like my lungs were empty and I desperately needed a deep breath. This would repeat every few seconds, where I would take a deep breath about 3 or 4 times, until finally around the 4th or 5th time or so, I would finally get that satisfying breath of air, but it would only last a few seconds; I would need to breathe deeply again almost immediately. This process repeated all the time. I would sit at work and was embarrassed that people could probably hear me taking deep breaths ALL the time.

I did some research and noted that we suffer from air hunger. Air hunger can be caused by all sorts of stuff, but knowing this term pointed me in the right direction.

I had gone to my dr. a while back for a physical and found out that I was anemic. I got tested for Celiac disease, which came back negative. Recently I was really suffering from air hunger and did some more searching. Well, even though I do not have full blown Celiac disease, I believe I have a gluten intolerance. A gluten intolerance caused my anemia.

Well when someone is anemic, for one, the body is less efficient at carrying around oxygen which could lead to partial air hunger. And for another, it could lead to vitamin deficiencies; vitamins that we need for our respiratory system.

Turns out that what did the trick for me (at least for the past few days now) is taking a vitamin B supplement. Specifically Vitamin B complex. Ever since I started taking that, my air hunger is almost completely gone! I still get it when I exercise, but it's bearable. I still have breathe deeply more often than most people, but it's a lot less frequent and when I do breathe deeply I can get in a full breath of air about 90% percent of the time whereas before it was more like 65% of the time.

So check to see if you're anemic, or have any kind of vitamin deficiency. Try taking a vitamin B supplement. It couldn't hurt you anyway. Hope this helps because I know how you all feel, and it is not fun at all.
hai
my wife when she get stressed or wen she get any tensions, her breath stops i mean its very hard to take breath this breathing problem is seen when shez in any tension or stress. we recently got married (1 mnth back) it seems  big problem .i am fear that it might not beome serious  .so please suggest me  to which doctor i must consult and about the problem also  plzzz waiting for ur reply
hi.im 56 have had same problems,not being able to get a breath!!! its killing!!! im on an inhaler,since last tuesday.i do feel stress is the cause!! and certain foods,like bread,lettuce,eggs and dairy products,if i lay off there,it subsdes,my ability to get a breath! had all medical tests,all came back,fine!!!!!!!has any one any other ideas,solutions?thanks roger
I am 27 and has had this for same thing for about 7 years now. My doctor says it is because of cat allergies inflaming my air ways, but I cant get rid of my cats to test this theory. I hope it is something i can easily fix.
I wasn't aware that so many had this issue. I have had it about 2 years now. It comes and goes but generally when I'm tired and my yawning is actually involuntary but it ***** when I don't get the air I need after so much yawning. I read somewhere online that magnesium helps so I bought spring valley magnesium with chelated zinc at walmart (vitamin isle). It says its for bone health though.  Anyway to me it seemed to help, my boyfriend says it was a mind thing.  I also take iron and super b complex in conjunction but not everyday.  I honestly don't know if it really helped or if it just went away like normal.  I also read that b6 with magnesium helps respiratory issues.  Magnesium does dialate your bronchials so I believe it does but everyone is different.  It costs roughly 12 bucks or so for mag and super b at walmart so if it works its money well spent. Hope this helps
Jenny from Israel and I do not know good English, so I did a translation of Google - get the spelling mistakes in understanding

34 suffered from terrible suffering from age 7
I made all the possible types of tests and everything is normal

What I have to add all what I read this forum like this
1: There is no doubt that some of those who suffer from this problem is due to his anxiety - problems in the neck - Heart - Thyroid

2 no doubt that those who suffer from it do not understand what it is, so all offers of breathing through the nose and throat and eyes That Chinese and Thai breath that crap better not to offer them this problem that has nothing to do

3 there's a reason organic and have not found it (up to ten years ago thought that ulcers came from stress ..)

4 We are sick is wrong that no one opened a web site with a list of thousands! People who suffer from it and sent it to all doctors in their country and to all medical researchers, articles, TV, etc.
Must! Raise public awareness that
You know that if we do not address it and be proactive researchers and doctors to check it out at least some of our children will this hell
(I'll deal with it in Israel)

My theory:

The brain called the pituitary gland have - pituitary gland secretes hormones and 12 in close contact with the adrenal gland also secretes several substances

I think one of the substances secreted secreted too much (some materials are complicated for testing)
 Then it causes problems in dopamine - Serotonin - Nitric oxide causes great yawn, then the body lowers the level of dopamine - Serotonin - Nitric Oxide by Wild sympathetic system does not yawn and then it repeats again and so the initial condition
Short cycle is difficult to leave without finding the problem first thing

Again the problem is not the dopamine / serotonin but too Hormones

I did not examine the issue of intestinal worms and it sounds interesting
The cervical spine problems makes sense

Explanation for the symptoms of all
In the early years is a small problem (?) Only of breath because of the material secreted and then it starts to be a problem with the disruption of dopamine, etc.
That Mohammed food / stress / anxiety because it raises / lowers the level of dopamine / serotonin in the blood
It gets off to sleep - that sleep has a high prolactin dopamine contradicts the?
We concentrate on something interesting (TV / Internet, etc.) it gets better - increases the concentration of dopamine and serotonin in the brain!
(Just a question for men - Have you noticed that anyone with that problem has increased sexual activity?

I have no doubt he will find a solution with a small ball that blocks the unnecessary provision

Prayer to God who will have the problem and solution

DLT88, could you tell me what Chiropractor that was? Not all chriopractors have this knowledge, so I'd love to find one that does. Thanks!
hello. First of all im 14 I have had this for a month I know you guys will think that's nothing but I know what most of you guys would have. I have had anxiety problems ever since about the age of 8 and now im 14. I haven't seen the doctor about it but im planning to. But the problem most of you will have will be anxiety related and if all of your test have come back fine it means its a mental thing. Yeah it does suck because you cant take a pill and just fix your mind you have to do that yourself. But you can do it ! There are many options to make you feel better! Like hypno therapy and counciling. I have been going through various threads and I heard that they help alot! But guys the main thing to do is to not worry about it because when you worry about it gets worst and gives you false information back saying help me I need more oxygen. But what you are probably doing is taking to much in. Please dont hate on this post im just trying to help you guys because i know what your going through its a living hell!
Wow, I am interested in all the posts. I have been 'working' with these symptoms for two years now.
Firstly I had a personal trainer come to my house twice a week. At first she came at 0800 then every week she came earlier often waking me up to get straight into exercise. One day I lifted a weight a little bigger than I had done previously and I just couldnt go on. In two days I was exhausted and asked her not to come again.  
I saw chiropractors weekly thinking that it was a neck/ thoracic spine problem.
I went to America last year for three months and the only time I felt great was on a 65 acre forest camping music festival. I did little, laughed a lot and was fed vegetarian food. I also drink some wine and beer.
I was seeing a NUCCA specialist in New York for chiro, however, couldnt stay the 12 months required for the full treatments.
On arrival back to Australia, I went to my doctor who said I had adrenal fatigue and he did saliva and hair analysis. I wasnt convinced as all the vitamins I was prescribed made me feel sick, so I halved them at his suggestion.
I continued to see a NUCCA chiro in Perth who xrayed my neck, (no significant changes) and then a cranio sacral osteopath. SHe said that I was fatigued as well.
FInally I am now seeing a NATUROPATH who uses THE BEST machine to diagnose. I have 8 different viruses in my body, plus I have emotional issues to release. Also liver, gall bladder and other organs not 'happy". LArge intestine ok, bladder ok.  SO I will wait and see.
My other thoughts are that we need to lift our vibration for the 2012 changes coming and the greater consciousness of the planet.
So, TV not good nor is to much computer. Electronic devices not good. NATURE seems to heal.

Stay tuned to how I overcome and release whatever may be in my subconscious mind, generate a healthy body and breath easily always.
I am 19 years old and have been experiencing the need to take deep breaths from a very young age although it never really proved to be a problem until recently. Now I get the overwhelming feeling to take a deep breath of air in otherwise I start to panic which then leads to a panic attack I find yawning and sneezing helps when trying to get that breath, however it's an extremely scary experience when I feel I can't get that breath of air and often I feel light headed, my hands become tingly and i experience heart sensations or Palpitations aswel. I have been for blood tests and for a heart ECG which have all come back clear but have been told that I may suffer from anxiety which may have been triggered by a bereavement over the previous months, because nothing physically is wrong with me I believe that it could be psychological where your mind makes you believe that you need to take that extra breath and if not this then leads to a state of panic I am now waiting to undergo counselling and have started using herbal remedies known to help with anxiety and I find yoga also helps. I still experience the breathing problem however the problem has improved now that I have accepted it could be a psychological problem rather than a physical one, I may not be right but i hope this helps anyone In the same situation.
I am 57 and have spent my life working in a Marine/Industrial environment with all the noxious trimmings. In the 70's, 80's 90's and early 2000's I was exposed to horrific environments full of drifting asbestos, epoxy and silicon enamels, zink chromates, anti-foulants, acid washes, a host of mystery HAZMAT and hazardous solvents that are now banned, all the while being denied a proper respirator or training on how to use it.
Now I experience all of the symptoms you describe, and I find it perplexing and unfair that young people like yourselves should have to endure these things.
Good luck to you all, and hopefully the medical community will rally behind you. Something is or has been going on, and I suppose it may take lawyers to eventually discover the truth. I endure the same ordeals every day, and the nights are horrible. I have lost nearly 30 pounds in the last 6 weeks, and I am not dieting. I have lived a good life, and would of course like to live more, but it is criminal that young folks such as you should suffer like this in the prime of your life.

God Bless you all.
Not just a deep breath - any breath
The diagnosis is that I have COPD and now use puffers etc. Over the last year my breathing seems to have gotten worse. I can run out of breathe taking the garbage out. My nose runs like a tap!! I have returned to my Doctor a number of time about these conditions. He says it's sinuses and that my breathing sounds fine to him?????? Has anyone else experienced what I'm going through on a daily basis! Latest visit was again the same, however he said should I come down with a fever, come back and see him. Need some help... PLEASE
Have you had a sleep study?  I to  had SOB out of the blue.  Mychest felt very tight & could only take shallow breathes.  I went to see a pulmonologist & he insisted on a sleep study.  He also did all the regular tests like the Pulmonary Function test which was borderline.  Well with the sleep study I found out that when I sleep I breathe so shallow that it is difficult to sustain life.  I now sleep with a cpap machine. Which pushes a predetermined amount of positive air into your lungs via face mask.   I feel much better.  My mind is even clearer & I dont remember sleeping so good.  Most nights I dont even move.  I use it 3-4 nights/week  I really should use it every night.  Only bad thing is getting used to using it.   Good luck let us know if this helps.  
I have had the same problem of not being able to take a deep breath almost daily for many years.  Have been to the Dr... Chest X-rays, etc... Final last conclusion was anxiety.  I'm bad about getting over anxious when in  a hurry  to get work done, and done right.  Sounds pretty logical to me.  Guess if it were life threatening I would have known several years ago, yet, I'm still here.  It helps me to deal with it by thinking just like that.
http://www.anxietycoach.com/breathingexercise.html
I have had this feeling of not being able to take a full breath for over a year. It started after I cracked a rib. It hurt to take deep breaths so I started taking shallower breaths. The rib healed fine but I had this feeling of not being able to take a deep breath. It would come and go, but was there more often than not. I was sick of it today do I went looking for answers. I am not anxious about anything; life is good, I enjoy my job, and I am getting good grades in school, so I didn't think the above website would help. But it did! Not at first, I actually got worse, started getting dizzy and panicky. I kept doing this breathing exercise, and lo and behold I was breathing more naturally, like the old me. I guess I was anxious, after all. Not because I imagined what disease would cause my symptoms, or because I thought I wasn't getting enough air, bu because it was just so uncomfortable!
Hi, I am 25 female, have the same problem - constantly can't breath enough about five years. Nobody can say, what it is :( my doctor send me to pulmonologist, cardiologist and neurologist... they found nothing, then my doctor said it's just my imagination. I know it's not, but can't find what it is.... so tired of it.

P.S. sorry, my english is not good :P.. going to translate posts and hope something will fit to me... and thanks for sharing the info.
Google vocal cord dysfunction (VCD) and read about the causes, symptoms, and breathing exercises.  You should consult a professional, probably an ENT/otolaryngologist and then a speech-language pathologist to learn about breathing exercises.  Let me know if this helps some of you.
Hi i have exactly what you have and i was told exactly the same thing.  Have you come up with any answers?
I have been having this problem
for abt 4 months now . When it first started bothering me i was also having severe chest pains i was diagnosed with pnemonia (pneumonia) .. abt 2 weeks ago i found myself  having the same problems and went back to doctor . They did more xrays and said therw was no change with my xrays over the past 4 months so they gave me a pill called Prednisone .. They tell me my chest is clear to listen to but gave that for my lung where it shows something . my pills are gone .. puffers dont help and i still find myself gasping for breath .. when i eat ... yawning is a task .. when i lay down and even when im talking . its getting to.me more and more because im 30 and healthly .. i dont smoke but now i aviod doing alot.of things cuz my breathing . i always feel bloated as well .. i force myself to work everyday but some days just feel like im gasping too much i have to leave . doc says next step is cat scan ... i hope to get answers soon cuz its getting unbearable :(
Hi tammy, I have the same exact problem, they told me i had pneumonia in jan after I was sick for 2 mo, so they gave me antibiotics, I took them all and nothing changed i was still sick went back in a month later the xrays said nothing had changed, I too am a healthy 27 yr old. Now I am always gasping for air, trying to yawn to get that deep breath, and then I start panicking, I lose sleep, I don't go do anything because of the breathing I don't want to leave, I go to work and all I want to do is go home, I am a single mom with 2 kids and now no insurance, because when I was sick I missed so much work that it cancelled my insurance out, so now I been trying to find people with the same symptoms,get soem ideas to see hwat it might be. I have heard acid reflux maybe a huge part of this, at first it didn't make sense but my chest is tight, hard to breath deep, my heart skips beats, I havent really had heart burn, but after I eat is when I really have trouble breathing and its no matter what I eat too I also burp up acidic stuff after sometimes. its starting to drive me nuts and make me lose a ton of sleep, I hate this feeling.I am not the same person I use to be I am constantly worried and freakign about this.  but its good to know I am not alone
I am 39 years old and have suffered with this problem almost constantly for 29 years now. The doctor keeps putting it down to anxiety but i know it isn't that as it happens all the time and i am not anxious constantly! I am asthmatic but this is not asthma related, this is completely different. Over the years i have had many chest x rays, lung function tests etc but they always come back clear. It is getting to the point now where it's not only difficult to take a deep breath, it's actually difficult to take any breath atall! A couple of times i have actually passed out through lack of oxygen. I am due to be tested for COPD in a couple of weeks and to have yet another chest xray next week. When i lie down i feel like i am suffocating so i now have to sit up to sleep. I am overweight and i have smoked in the past, but this problem started way before my weight or smoking did! I just want some answers, and to know what it's like to be able to breathe normally for the first time in 29 years. How can i get my doctor to take me seriously and realise it is not anxiety that is causing my problems? i was not anxious at the age of 10 and i may be anxious at some point now but then again we all are. But i'm certainly not anxious when i'm sitting down having a cuppa watching TV.
I FOUND A CURE!
These where my symptoms; couldn't take deep breaths, kept yawning at all times of day, sometimes it would help take that elusive deep breath. Also felt lightheaded, a little dizzy and felt like that pretty much all day for several months. Had lots of tests as well as rushed myself to A&E one night when I just felt like I was dying. No one could find anything wrong with me (you start feeling really awful at this stage as you feel these is no way out of this living hell)

Every evening I trawled through the net and like a hypochondriac started to believe I had every illness under the sun but still couldn't find a definitive answer. Until one day I came across the condition Hyperventilation Disorder. Go research it on the net, do the few simple breathing exercises everyday and you will start feeling better within in a day. It may not be the solution for all of you but it certainly changed my life. If anyone needs more info on it then please do ask me, would be happy to help.
H

I've had the breathing issue too, and I do know how to correct it! You have to go to Puno in Peru. I went on a trip there and when I came back I could breath fine. That was 3 years ago. Its something to do with the high elevation and clean air.
Hi again, i noticed, that some of u have also bad breath... i have too, but thought it isnt related. Bad breath is becouse of Chronic tonsillitis (check if u have white things in your tonsils... it has bad smell).... antibiotics should help.
I have been struggling with the same symptoms for 7 years, diagnosed with asthma too. I have been to many of the sane doctors as you all with no answers. I have PVCs too. I learned on my own how to manage my breathing and it has helped tremendously. Try to avoid yawning if you can, it makes the feeling worse. Take as deep a breathe as you can and blow it all out through your mouth and nose normally. Push as much air out as you can. Hold it out for as long as you can comfortably. Then take a normal breath. You should feel satisfied within the first couple of breaths. When I have one if these "attacks" I will breathe like this several times over a period of a few minutes. It passes fairly quickly instead of lasting hours or days. I hope my advice helps someone. I was told by a nurse once that I breathe very shallow normally. Do any of you breathe this way too?
ive had a breathing problem for over 2 years now my doctor doesent seem to give 2 ***** ive been there that many times and they just send me out the door with diffrent medications that either make me worse or dont work they have put me on anti depressants amoxicillin and different types of inhalers and still feel really bad its starting to annoy me as i feel like im going to have to live with it ive been for a chest xray and blood test and they have both come back fine. i have chest pains struggle to breath always get fevers sweat really bad get pins and neddels some times my heart just beats really fast randomly i dont no what to do i was wondering if anyone else gets this. also i am 20 year old and want to go out ant enjoy myself but cant as i always feel ill and on deaths door
Hello

Am sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having. PLEASE TRY SALT THERAPY as soon as possible. It's wonderful. I don't know if you have access to this kind of alternative therapy...mine is at www.saltcave.co.uk

I scour the net often looking for remedies and advice to help my mum with COPD emphysema and chronic bronchitis.  She is on oxygen constantly and weak. However, the biggest problem is shifting thick mucous which has nearly choked her to death recently. Out of desperation I have been preparing her licorice teas, fresh sage tea from the garden as well as making her fresh onion juice with a juicing machine some times adding  with fresh carrot juice and honey to make it more palatable as well as bring other health/antibacterial benefits.

The teas and juices really do help and I recommend these to you.

They help to thin mucous without medication. Carrots with the vitamin A are also known to help restore lung tissue. The onion juice is great and if you can munch a whole raw onion daily even better. That will certainly help and cost so little.

Give these remedies a try. They offer relief for sure.

However, relief is one thing. Getting a good night sleep is another...

As I cannot always be with my mother to give her round the clock relief I search for newer therapies and came up with SALT CAVE therapy which although new to the UK, has been available since 2011 as an alternative therapy.

My mother has just had 3 sessions of 1 hour. It's about £23-£25 per hour here. Not cheap. However, I must report a major improvement in her breathing and ability to cough up and clear her chest of the excessive mucous that is the most disabling and distressing feature of her COPD.

My mother is terribly negative about alternative therapies and a great believer in traditional doctors/medicine. I have to report that none of the medications they prescribe for her mucous problem like Mucodeyne actually work. They seem to make things worse...not surprising given the pill filler is composed of lactose!!

So to my great relief and joy I can report that after 2 sessions of making Britain's leading sceptic breathe in natural salt ....she finally is convinced of the benefits and after the second trip enjoyed her first full night's sleep in over 5 years - able to breathe easily and coughed up all congestion before nodding off. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

There were other people at the 'salt cave' with asthma and all sorts of respiratory problems. I heartily commend this to you and hope you find relief.

On a personal note I have been lucky to experience the salt cave experience. I do not suffer respiratory problems apart from hayfever and did not need to pay for my sessions as I was merely attending as my mother's carer...but even myself feel amazingly cleansed after only 3 sessions. It's like having a new nose fitted.  I have more energy and skin is glowing already. I feel very rejuvenated and experienced very deep sleeping since commencing salt therapy. It is now my intention to treat myself from now on for both prevention of lung disease and pure relaxation / detoxification.

I have learned lots about SALT in just a few days. Give it a whirl if you can or buy a portable salt pipe online at least if you cannot get to a salt cave.

There are so many benefits to SALT ( not table salt - get good quality Himalayan salt or sea salt at least. Do the research I can't type it all here )

For your aches and pains...start soaking in salt baths.

Am a big fan of www.blueheronhealthnews.com ...you can get a lot of free natural health tips there and it is sure to open your eyes to many alternative health strategies.

Very best wishes

Louis Szikora
I feel the same way. I often have to yawn to get relief. I take adderrall for my ADD disorder which quickens my heart beat, and I notice it has caused me to become anxious which in turn makes it harder to breath and talk to people. I am not sure if the medication is related.  I was also born with heart aritmea because I was a premature triplet. Another I have noticed is that I have been a little constipated or bloated. I don't know if this is related.  I feel that my breathing has to do with anxiety but I just don't know.  I got my blood test done for insurance purposes a few weeks ago. They said they noticed that I have an imbalance in red and white blood cells, but they didn't say anything about anemia. They also found a virus in me. I also have higher colesteral 167.  I don't know if this is related or not. Sometimes I would get soo anxious I could barely talk to someone on the phone and couldn't breath. I work out and excersise and have been atheletic all my life.  When I was a kid I went to the nose and throat doc becuase I complained of not being able to take deep breaths.  The doctor said he thinks it's acid reflux.  I don't know if we believed him or not. I hickup alot is this related to reflux?
I am 35 yrs old and have had this problem since I was about 11-12 yrs old. My doctor told me it was stress  way back then. I have dealt with it my whole life now. Sometimes I don't even know what is causing it and I have to really examine what is going in my life and figure out the problem. Other times it is quite obvious. Either way the problem that is causing it has to be dealt with in order to cure your breathing problem. Sometimes it is simple other times not so much. Right now my problem is not such an easy solution an here I am over breathing  away. This episode has been going on now for a few weeks and my lungs are actually hurting at this point. Medication would probably be a solution but I am not a medication kind of person.  So here I breath.
I'm only 16 and I feel like I can't get enough air sometimes as well. I try to take deep breaths but it just stops. Other times I have to stretch and put my arms above my head and that usauasly does it.  I just want to know what causes this I haven't gone to the doctors and I play sports and when they ask you to breathe during the physical you get they never say anything about my breathing sounding weird.
Dear Loise,

Thank you so much for your education about salt therapy.  You are an angel!
I like your post very much.  

N.
I am 17yrz old and I have been having the same kind of problem since childhood....sometimes i breathe but cnt get a deep breath,i have to yawn for like a minute before i can catch my breath......its painful....i've been using prednisolone and septrin to get over it but my body system adapted to it over the years......the doctors told me that its not a thing that can be treated...but i can pray about it......anybody who has this kinda problem like me...if u can pray or if u believe in prayer...then take ur problem to God...good luck...
today i bought "pulse oximeter CMS50DL" (i paid about 15$), witch shows how much oxygen is in my blood (oxygen saturation - SpO2)... unexpectedly it was normal (normal is 95%-100%, my was 98%) :/
Dont know, what to think... i still feel i can't take a deep breath.
Hello you all.....

I came on this forum several years ago, and I had some breathing problems that I couldn't figure out what they were a result of.....

I finally figured out what it was - a reaction to mold.

Common food sources of mold
Cheese
Mushrooms
Vinegar and foods containing vinegar, such as salad dressing, catsup and pickles
Sour cream, sour milk and buttermilk
Beer and wine
Meat or fish more than 24 hours old
Sour breads, such as pumpernickel, and other food made with a lot of yeast
Sauerkraut
Pickled and smoked meats and fish
Dried fruits such as dates, prunes, figs and raisins

Everything on this list I DO have a reaction to.  Perhaps this would help you all out too.....

Meranda
Thankyu Huey.........I think this has been a living hell for all of us!! so nice to see we have a huge coping group. Thought i was having a nervous breakdown this weekend, uncontrolled crying, shaking, couldn't breath..... dizziness in head..............But i have noticed this weird Hyperventilating scenario....... Never knew you could do it and NOT know it. But also agree with DLT88 with the bubble in the stomach, or under right rib. so uncomfortable..................also dealing with migrain headaches, maybe because of now oxygen......... was wanting to get cked for polyps too. been having underlying feeling of infection, clammyness....fluey........gotta go to doctor..........but gonna work on my breathing!!

Yall hang in there.............."Just Breeeeeath"

Ree
Im 14! I have the same problem as everyone here! It started last year and in the past 2 months I've gone to 3 doctors but Tey all say the same thing! They all say that im worried and unhappy but i tell them its not true and they don't do anything about it! I feel like i cant get the air in! It's so hard! It gets even worse when I lay down an when i try to sleep!
Sweetheart, I have the same thing. Go to a GERD doctor, its acid reflux!! Its nothing dangerous!! She just needs relieve!! Does she have heartburn?
it may be heart problem if it's getting worse, when you lay down.
i just found this too...in a search for ideas. i will post more later-after i read more posts. I have 'asthma' and stress, like everyone in the world, of course. but never had an attack like recently. yawning for air, etc is something I have always dealt with, in a very way, but have always been quite active, etc. but recently i had a racy heart that sent me to the clinic in the clinic in the am following a nite where i couldnt catch a deep breathe or lung-full...or 'yawn' for long periods of time that worsened over a few days. it was my 2nd incident like this and the other was just a few months before. today, or should i say this week, is my 3rd 3-6 day spurt of this. the doc did find my thyroid quite low, but in the border and not below...so i will check again in a couple of months to consider or rule it out. i have a 3-year old with food allergies so we are accustomed to 'elimination diets'. i tried going bread free but kept cheating and was planning to try dairy next, etc...when just yesterday i realized that big attacks are from the a/c (air conditioning)...not just in my home but in the car, mall, and supermarket. this is a tough one as i am an american living in dubai so its always hot as h*ll here! Thank god its winter now so only 80's F and not in the hundreds, like usual. I am still short of breath but its not sever...i can live with it but would rather not! I will contunue trying long periods, or short, of elimination and testing them too. try this. try products, try foods, try cutting out 1 habit.
Ok, so I am still working on reading through all of these comments. However, I would like to openly share my take on this as I read through hundreds of you all suffering from similar symptoms as I am. I normally don't rush to the internet for ideas of answers since most don't share their delightful days & experience, unless logged into Facebook ;) Symptom & sympathy forums destroyed the 1st trimester of my pregnancy as I hung out chatting with like moms-to-be who were 'suffering from loss', 'high-risk', and 'over 35'. We tend to lean on each other for support as we are all suffering somehow. However, when I pulled my nose out of the books and deleted myself from these forums, I was able to relax and go with my situation seeking the positive about becoming a mother soon and doing what I could to feel better. Alright...just an example. I am glad I found this forum, but 'take it all with a grain of salt' we say. If you do google shortness of breath on a reputable site you will come up with around 65+ possible causes. Perhaps go down the list of them one-by-one ruling out each...? I am certainly no doctor, but doctors are not magicians either. "Text Book" is what they know. They study loads and read & research case studies to get exposure to everything they can possibly hold in their heads. They diagnose, not cure. they cannot see clearly inside of us. Be aware that YOU are the best listener to your body, especially as you age. (sending so I wont loose this!)
This sounds like hyperventilation syndrome.  
Try physiohypervent.org
Hello there ,
   My name is John and I want to share my story with you about this air hunger feeling. This all happened about a year ago. I couldn't breath at first at night and then it started happening all day. I'm a very stubborn person and I was determined to get to the bottom of this. I reaserched article after article, book after book and visited doctor after doctor. I took into effect GERD, thyroidism, anxiety and anything else you could think of. I couldn't find anything and it was all that I thought of. Now it might seem crazy that I am saying this but there is nothing wrong with you at all. Its all in your head, but that doesn't mean that your crazy. I'm normal as hell it just means that you are paying too mucg attention to your body. Step back and away from your body and do something to distract yourself. I guarantee as well that mostly everyone this is happening to is a mouth breather. I reccomend learning to breath again, it might seems crazy but this has been what has happened/ You have forgotten how to breath naturally, your second guessing your subconscious. Take breathing treatments from youtube and learn to breath from your diaphragm.  This is all anxiety related. To this day after a year almost I have no problems at all with this problem, and if I do its only for a split second a month. Don't let anxiety take over your life, you can beat this
I have the same problem it ***** only thing that helps me is drinking.. i think it is anxiety and it just compounds itself
Just now noticed this thread. I have the same issues. It is Hyperventilation or overbreathiing syndrome. And it's a Son of A ******. I have experienced some health issues in my life....Chronic back, neck and shoulder issues, Bad ulcers when I was in my early 20s....but nothing like this. all Drs can do is prescribe meds for the anxiety and give encouragement. The rest is on yourself. I'ts about breathing right. I do the exercises and it will help for a while.....then if I start thinking about it (which is how it all started for me in the first place ) it will rise from some dark corner of my mind and bite my *** all over again. what makes it worse is I am a long term pain pill patient/ addict...and I'm sure there is a connection. Because in the a.m. I am fine until I take my 1st dose of meds. I am trying to taper but fear that this problem will defeat me. Miserable thing for a human being to have to experience. I wish SOMEONE would just come up with a damn cure. Perusing forums I have come to realize that this is not a "rare" condition. You would think medical minds would put more effort into this than the script pad. But there is big $$ in suffering I guess. Day to day fight. Good luck to everyone afflicted by this....
You mentioned that you have the Hyperventilation Syndrom (syndrome), or chronic overbreathing. Get a book called "Close your Mouth" by Patrick Mckowen. He tells you how to do all the breathing techniques necessary. And when you do them, it's ok to feel air hunger. The feeling will pass in a few days or even a couple of days. It helps to reset the metabolism which will help with addictions as well.
I have the exact same problem the majority of people here suffer from: constant restricted breathing/can't take a satisfying deep breath, and have had this since Jan 2012 and it has remained EXACTLY the same since the Sunday when I noticed it had happened (I'm a 23 yr old male from UK).

However, unlike many people here who suggest all kinds of 'causes', I firmly believe this has nothing to do with any of them (e.g. food allergies) and I believe it is solely related to stress/anxiety. I believe this because before this happened to me, I had a history of panic attacks over a period of roughly 2 years (Oct 08 - June 10), but after taking beta blockers I had not had a panic attack since June 2010 (and of course I had not had ANY breathing problems whatsoever in my life apart from the panic attacks).

However, in Jan of last year I began working in a school and, because I'm not a confident person (I have body image problems), I was extremely nervous and on the Sunday after working one week in the school, I immediately noticed that my breathing was restricted. I was on my usual run (I run 3 miles 3/4 times a week) and noticed that I just could not satisfy my breathing requirements in one breath. I had to either 'fight' my lungs to push more air in, or take more rapid but shorter breaths. It is as if my lungs just will not open far enough to let the air in. This problem has stayed with me till this day and it's a constant daily battle.

After a few days of suffering with it, I went to see my local GP on the following Saturday. He did some basic tests on my heart and breathing and said everything seems fine, but come back in a few months if the problem has not gone. Well it did not go away, so a few months later I went back and had some more intensive tests on my cardio system. I had a spirometry, blood pressure test, and a chest xray. The spirometry test measures the ability of the lungs to utilise oxygen. I thought that because it feels like I cannot get enough air consciously, this would show that I have a problem. But incredibly I had a vital capacity of 7.2 litres and forced vital capacity of 7.22 litres, which is 25% and 32% better than expected for my age group (most likely because of my running). This demonstrates that there is no functional problem with my lungs (thank god), but something else is happening which is not related to the lungs ability to utilise oxygen. The xray also came back normal.

Therefore, I believe that this very 'real' problem which we all suffer from is another manifestation of anxiety/stress, much like a panic attack is, but of course instead of being acute and short lived, this condition is a constant daily battle which is ruining our lives. What I guess is happening is that some aspect of our brain which regulates breathing (or within the central nervous system) has changed, and means we are not allowed to consciously satisfy our breathing requirements in one breath, so instead we constantly have to fight our own lungs to intake the required oxygen (even when sitting at home and not under any immediate 'stress'). In effect, our bodies are artificially restricting our breathing, most likely due to an event or series of events, which we accumulatively call 'stress'/'anxiety', which has caused the system to react in such a way (much like a panic attack does). That is what I believe has happened for the vast majority of people who suffer from this specific problem.

I presume that this 'change' in the brain (or CNS) is like a switch which could in theory very easily be switched back, but how we can do that I do not know (thus I do not believe our normal breathing is gone forever). An obvious answer would be to try to discover what the exact causes of the stress/fear/anxiety is, and then try to remove those things, which will hopefully make the breathing go back to normal. My doctor believes it is a panic disorder. However, I am sceptical that even if I was happy and did not lead a stressful life, that it would *definitely* go back to normal. This is because I no longer work in the school environment but my breathing has remained exactly the same from when it happened that Sunday in January. Therefore, I would like to see if medication can help, just like medication helped me with my panic attacks (I have never had a panic attack since June 2010, but would have them about twice a month in the preceding year and a half).

This is NOT hyperventilation. That is a unique condition separate to the one experienced by the majority of people on here. That most commonly occurs during a panic attack, when you literally breath too frequently, taking in too much air and excreting too much carbon dioxide, which leads to dizziness/chest pain/light-headedness/tingling and so forth. We do not generally experience those things. We do not take in too much oxygen or excrete too much carbon dioxide from the blood. We are therefore NOT over-breathing. When we feel like we can't get enough breath, that is because our lungs are literally not allowing the air to go in! This is totally separate from hyperventilation, and calling it such is not helping our cause.

Unfortunately for us, it appears as though the medical establishments of the US/UK are unaware of this 'condition', but it is absolutely a REAL HUMAN CONDITION which is affecting thousands of us. It is not just a general panic disorder; it's a specific set of symptoms that should be recognised as a condition.

It drives me crazy that just over 12 months ago, I had absolutely no breathing problems, and if it was one thing I always thought I had it was my health. Since that Sunday when it happened, the quality of my life has changed dramatically and I never feel good because of this terrible breathing problem.

I have bookmarked this thread and will post back here if I have anything more to share. This is a battle I intend to eventually win!

Dave
I've been having the same problem for about two months now. Anyways, I did the same thing your chiropractor did to you. The result of this was letting out a huge burp...But then I took my first full breath since this whole thing started!!! EVERYONE, THIS WORKS!!!! :DDDDD  
I am 56, work out (hard cardio workouts, so that's not problem), don't smoke, etc and had exact same son-of-a-gun episode everyone on top is describing. I doubt everyone here has "anxiety", or at least didn't until they start having episodes of gasping for air. I thought it was something unusual until i found a thread or two like this. Someone above felt that the medical ppl should be on top of this with more research and that is so true. Instead, everyone walking from appt to appt, wasting time and money on false remedies and suffering, because it may not be life threatening, but it certainly spoils your quality of life. I have GERD, tho I never knew that. They told me it is invisible. Taking stomach meds (tecta). Then one day, out of nowhere, this happened and i found myself in Emerg going home with an inhaler. A little better, but I don't think the final answer. Due to the GERD, I was forced to change my diet a lot, and I have allergies to milk and soy. As we, was trying to lose some weight. It's possible there is something happening in the nutrient department so I review and try to hone that every day. I am a Splenda consumer, gave up sugar years ago, and today read about possible connection between splenda and thyroid. A few of you have mentioned thyroid. May have to check that out. Starting to add some iron into my diet today too. It's all mysterious and a huge pain when all you want is what someone above called "a blessed breath". So true how much struggle for a simple deep breath. I'm positive most of the anxiety is a result of, not a reason for, this problem which should get better attention than "i don't know" from doctors. Thanks for all the awesome posts and discussion.
I find i have problems breathing when i eat or drink anything that contains sulphites, yeast or MSG which is in alcohol/wine/beer or food and a lot of sauces eg tomato, soy etc i use an inhaler even though i dont suffer from asthma. My problems are due to allergies. Look at the product ingredients u buy especially anything with enhancers i think 621 etc ingredients especially in spices and most food. Coke affects me also!!
Oh my God, I know when this is coming on because I experience increased sexual arrousal.  I didn't want to tell anyone this because I thought I would be labeled "crazy".  Two weeks ago I suspected a problem was on its way de to a big increase of sexual arrousal (such as 2 x's a day for a week - and I am 66 yrs old when normally once every couple months).  I told my wife that I will probably be sick, she was happy for the week and then all the breathing problems started and I ended up in the Emergency Room.  A breathing treatment and steroids have not helped, and a week later I am still trying to take a deep breath.

A couple years ago I thought I might have cured the problem with Wild Cherry Bark Extract (3 tsp  a day) and Quercetin with Bromelin (3 a day).  It did work for 1-2 years.  Breathing tests verified that I could get more air into my lungs.  I stopped taking it because I thought I was OK, and in about 6 months to a year it all came back (maybe worse).  I am now trying a Pulmonary Specialist, but don't have a lot of faith there.  If anyone has any other suggestions please share - I would appreciate all feedback.
I have experienced the same identical symptoms and I wish you luck in finding a cure.  Please keep me posted on any ideas that help your situation.

Hello all,

I, like some have posted above, believe that anxiety isn't causing most of our problems, but the problems are causing the anxiety, and rightfully so! Of course, anxious people will have panic attacks, which will affect their breathing, but that is NOT what we are (for the most part) experiencing.

I will list some health issues I had leading up to this as anything could be a clue. I am a 37 year old male.

-I had sinus problems most of my life. Nothing too bad, just a clogged nose often. This is what I initially thought was causing this "air hunger".

-For the last year or so I have had some reflux issues.

-I have gotten dry mouth during the night. I often wake multiple times a night with a very dry mouth. This might be a clue that I am mouth-breathing too much at night maybe and drying out the mouth and perhaps not getting enough oxygen, which may be lead to this breathing issue. I don't know.

-A month and a half ago I came down with a bad sore throat. It wouldn't go away. I do not have health insurance, so I waited and waited. I finally went to a Doc to get some anitbiotics. Soon the throat was better, and then a week later this breathing issue started.

-I am overweight by about 60 lbs or so. I plan on losing that and have begun dieting. I fear I might be diabetic, so if there's any connection there...

Here are a couple of theories I am going with that may have started this:

-We have had a massive heat wave lately tha. I normally sweat a lot and overheat easily, so when I would visit my parents' house I would stand right in front of the AC to cool off. I noticed that when it was directly blowing on my face it would be difficult to breathe. I don't remember that ever happening before, but then again it was a newer AC that was powerful. But when standing in front of the AC I noticed a breathing issue and that seems like too strong a clue to ignore. Plus, just being in a AC'd room could be part of as well.

-I read that some artificial flavors might cause this. Recently, I started drinking a new diet soda "sparkling ice" A LOT! I drank many of these every day for a couple of weeks. Since I didn't really think they caused this after I stopped for a couple of days and felt a little better (breathing a little easier) I had about 1/3 of one. Immediately after I had issues again. Admittingly, this could be totally psychosomatic, but perhaps a clue nevertheless.

And for those of us suffering, I know it's hard but he is a slight bit of advice to handle this just a little better. When we do finally get that good breath and experience that beautiful "airgasm" we tend to take it in even more than we normally would just to get that feeling a bit more and a bit longer. But what we are really doing over and over again is hurting our chests, which doesn't help our condition. Breathe in that nice breath normally and know that another one will come soon. No, not soon enough, but it will come. The more we try to force this the worse it is for us.

Thanks for reading, and if anyone knows a way we can get the medical community to recognize this more please let us do it!
I too experienced this difficulty and my physician prescribed all sorts of inhalers including ventolin and isobutamol. While these symptoms declined for a while, they would return and sometimes intensify to a frighteningly suffocated level. There is always a lot of phlegm in my upper airways during these episodes. The physician started suggesting COPD which is like an idiopathic cause (unexplained in most cases).
Folks, I finally discovered what was triggering it. My pet tabby cat. When Mum visited, she banished the cat fom indoors for three months and I did not notice it but my symptoms disappeared completely - so slowly that I was unaware.  When Mum left, I reintroduced the cat into the house and she spent the night snuggling up to me. I awoke with the worst episode ever. Literally could not breathe. Thinking it was dust mite allergens, I got up removed all my  clothing and ad a hot shower. Then removed all the bedding covers and put them in the laundry. As the symptoms subsided, it clicked or me that it was the cat. The coincidence of the symptoms with th cat's reappearance was too striking. I tested this out over several months and eventually realised that this was indeed the case. Cat now sleeps in the garage and I have been totally symptom-free.
These symptoms are definitely related to allergens of some description be it something in food, the air, pets or dust mites or just plain dust. Have an immunological alllergy screening test is a start to try and identify the source. Thin carefully about where you are or what you are doing when the symptoms worsen. That will provide some clues. Good luck
Would love to hear if anyone has found a solution to this,sppeats to be a silent epidemic!
Hi to everybody,

I haven't been on this site for months.., I found MY CURE and MY LIFE AGAIN and have to share..  I'm able to run fast and inhale deep at the same time and as much as I want.  All anxiety about my breathing and not enough air is gone.  I feel I get more air then anybody else around me.  I take my deep breaths as much as I want now and any second I want.  All the tiredness is gone-high energy ONLY!
I'm vegan for 10 months now, no animal products..0%-0%-0%-0%-0%!!!!  In a matter of week vegan I felt better on HIGH CARBS LOW FAT vegan nutrients.  My key nutrients come from A-A-A L-O-O-O-O-O-T-SSS of fruits and veges.  Just few nuts a month.  
Breathing problems come from fat, meats and animal products.  They paralize our cells and cell membranes, poison them with byproducts of metabolism, everything becomes sluggish and organs become not happy.  "Normal" food with animal products *****!  It leads and escalates all kind of health problems.  I've never felt or looked better in my life then ON VEGAN.  Every second of how I feel and look keeps me going with vegan.
Now I get nausea from the site or smell of meats or animal products.  I can't stand them.  
All our cells need is healthy sugars and minerals.  Here are fruits and veges with all the components you need from Mother-Nature.  Do not need to kill or cause anybody to suffer.
I've learned from these websites:  30 bananas a day, Frelee The Banana Girl, The 811 diet, The 80/10/10 diet.

GOOD LUCK!
I think because there are so many variables it is difficult to find a clear solution to this issue. For instance, some of these breathing episodes for me, seemed to  be onset from reflux. As soon as I was able to get that under control symptoms got better however, they did not clear up completely. From my experience online it seems as if many people were cured in different ways meaning unfortunately, there may be multiple factors or one specific factor coming into play here. Our cases are not one in the same. Here are some that I know contribute, if you really can't pinpoint a specific cause you will need to basically try methods of treatment for each specific case. If you find yourself feeling better after one method, you might have unlocked one part of the puzzle or the whole thing. All of the below have been known to cause what we would all coin as shortness of breath or not being able to take a full breath. I would recommend looking up strategies to deal with each case and then going through one by one. I left out some of the more extreme and rare cases as probability would dictate you have one or several of these below. You can then google "how to treat..." and start with process of elimination. You will find the answer eventually but unfortunately its just not as clear cut. Think of it like a scavenger hunt :)

-Acid reflux or digestive issues
-Ashma (most of the time it is not this)
-Bronchitis
-Stress/Anxiety
-Liver Issues
-Allergies/mold
-Heart Issues
-COPD
-Hiatial Hernia
-Viral, fungal, or bacterial infection
-Anemia
-Broken rib
-Bad posture
-Vitamin/nutrient deficiency
I get the same thing!  I'm 26, 110lbs, with no history of smoking.  When it happens, I just sit there and focus on trying to yawn for air, but it's only effective when it's a genuine yawn and not forced.  Then I have to do it again.  It's really annoying and at the gym people probably think I'm tired and not doing strenuous enough exercise.  I get dizzy at the gym too if I don't get that deep breath.  I also get episodes before bed and when I'm tired.  I feel like it gets better if I lay down to sleep - then my need for air is lower and breathing less is okay because my body is slowing down anyway.  Obviously this isn't always practical.  I have been diagnosed with "allergic asthma" and given an inhaler and Nasonex, but I don't think that's what it is.  I don't get wheezy and I am able to take in air just fine, it just doesn't feel satisfying.  I do get a plugged nose and mucous often though, so the Nasonex helps with that.

I also have fibromyalgia and occasionally get chest pain during these episodes, so then I can't get a deep breath or it HURTS.  I'm pretty sure this is costochondritis.  This pain combined with the air hunger is when I am at my very worst.  All I can do is take Advil and lie down until it goes away.  I usually find that any new set of symptoms I get (such as my newly acquired frequent headaches) are common in people with fibro, so I usually assume that's why it happens to me.
Most of the time, that feeling is psychological, which doesn't make it any easier. I have Tourette's syndrome and I get this periodically, but I always assumed it was one of my tics and I can retrain the worst of my tics with some effort. I guess for me I try to ignore it and do other things, only giving in every once in a while. Hyperventilating to keep up with the deep breath feeling can cause its own problems, like headache, dizziness, and so on.
You may have Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome - I had it for 5 years and it caused such distress for me - I spent thousands of dollars for tests etc and finally last month, someone mentioned that Syndrome - and that is exactly what I have!  I started Buteyko Breathing technique - signed up for a workshop and I am tons better already - have taken 2 classes so far.  I can't believe what a difference it makes in so many different ways - your breathing affects so much - research this as a possibility.
im so glad i've found this place... im so glad to know im not the only one... i think i've read almost all the comments..... i kind of understand that this is coming from hyperventilation and all.. mental... gotta relax... but is there a real solution to this like a medicine? plz help me... i've had this thing for 10 yrs....
i have a question for those who has post here long time ago.... are you guys feeling all normal now?? plz me how you guys fixed it plz!!@ i see there aren't many post anymore since year 2013.. do doctors know how to fix this thing now??
hi ,i am 23 years of age and i find difficult to breath and i fell like i am not getting enough air,pls any suggestions.
Join your thumb and index finger at the tips, on both hands, place the palms on your knees, eyes closed, do deep breathing through the nose 11 times.  

Then Join your thumb and index finger at the tips, on both hands, place the wrists on your knees,upside down(thumb and index finger pointing down),  eyes closed, do deep breathing through the nose for 5 to 10 minutes daily 3 times a day.
Hi All

I'm a 39 yr old female who has had difficulty breathing since I was 7 yrs old. I had an initial incident, like most of you. I was on a houseboat on a lake, and awoke in the middle of the night unable to breathe. After a few hours of trying everything to get my breathing back, my father rushed me to the emergency clinic which was across the lake, and by the time I got there, the cool air seemed to cure the problem. That night...

When I returned home, my general practitioner prescribed me a bee sting kit and an inhaler. I never had to use the bee sting kit, and the inhaler never worked. The breathing problem has occurred every summer since. I have been diagnosed as having anxiety, asthma, allergies to certain pollens, and insect allergies. I feel fairly certain that none are the true cause because I have lived in a wide range of locations, do not have anxiety, and have been bitten by a number of insects, none of which have caused a reaction. Oh, and no inhaler has ever made a difference in any way.

My blood work is very good - no thyroid issues, no cholesterol issues, etc. I have low blood pressure, but not too low. I am about 10 lbs overweight now, but was not overweight as a child when this started. I do know that my breathing is worse when I lay down, that caffeine makes it worse, and that exercise does not affect it at all.  Also, I had no symptoms at all when I was pregnant, which as an awesome year for that reason!

I read a thread somewhere that someone suggested a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of salt in a glass of water. I've tried this twice now, and it may make a difference, but I can't tell for sure. I generally eat low sugar, low carb, but that does not seem to make a difference in the breathing issue, though I feel better in other areas. Meat or no meat makes no difference for me. No anxiety medicine I've been prescribed has made an iota of difference. And no doctor will pay any attention to this. Its incredibly frustrating.

Anyone have any new theories? New successes? I'm all ears!
Viewing 401-528 comments: