Can't get a deep breath / Difficulty Breathing
Hi - I've been having difficulty breathing for at least the last 9-10 years...and it's a daily thing.  I am 31 years old, am healthy (exercise almost daily, eat healthily, am not overweight, do not smoke, and only drink socially), and yet I always feel like my breathing is extremely laboured.  I constantly yawn to try to catch a satisfying breath.  There are some periods throughout the day where it's not laboured and I feel as if I breathe normally, but then it creeps up on me and I have to start yawning again.  My nose feels very clogged all the time and my chest, stomach, and back muscles feel very constricted when breathing.  It's especially noticeable when I am working out...especially running and lifting weights.  I have to stop every once in a while just to yawn (frustrating) to stop from getting dizzy.  It's also noticeable as I am trying to go to sleep and/or when I've had a glass or 2 of wine.  I was "diagnosed" with exercise-induced asthma 9-10 years ago, but I think this was a mis-diagnosis as the inhalers never work (I've tried all sorts) and they usually end up making me feel worse.  After using the inhaler I always end up coughing up fluid and my breathing sounds gurgle-ly  (so I don't take them any more unless I feel I really need to...note that I have never had a full blown asthma attack).  I'm worried that it could be something else (was exposed to TB as a teenager, but took the "horse pills" for 6 months and was told I was fine), but none of my doctors will really listen to me.  They see that I am slim and active, and they dismiss me - I live in the UK (free socialised healthcare - so not a lot of time to spend with patients).  Has anyone else experienced this?  I see lots of threads on here with the same topic, but they all have to do with taking medications, being overweight, being a current/past smoker, being depressed/having anxiety, etc.  Please help - I'm tired of living like this.  I'm worried that I could be living with something undiagnosed that could rear it's ugly head one day.
Dear Loise,

Thank you so much for your education about salt therapy.  You are an angel!
I like your post very much.  

N.
I am 17yrz old and I have been having the same kind of problem since childhood....sometimes i breathe but cnt get a deep breath,i have to yawn for like a minute before i can catch my breath......its painful....i've been using prednisolone and septrin to get over it but my body system adapted to it over the years......the doctors told me that its not a thing that can be treated...but i can pray about it......anybody who has this kinda problem like me...if u can pray or if u believe in prayer...then take ur problem to God...good luck...
today i bought "pulse oximeter CMS50DL" (i paid about 15$), witch shows how much oxygen is in my blood (oxygen saturation - SpO2)... unexpectedly it was normal (normal is 95%-100%, my was 98%) :/
Dont know, what to think... i still feel i can't take a deep breath.
Hello you all.....

I came on this forum several years ago, and I had some breathing problems that I couldn't figure out what they were a result of.....

I finally figured out what it was - a reaction to mold.

Common food sources of mold
Cheese
Mushrooms
Vinegar and foods containing vinegar, such as salad dressing, catsup and pickles
Sour cream, sour milk and buttermilk
Beer and wine
Meat or fish more than 24 hours old
Sour breads, such as pumpernickel, and other food made with a lot of yeast
Sauerkraut
Pickled and smoked meats and fish
Dried fruits such as dates, prunes, figs and raisins

Everything on this list I DO have a reaction to.  Perhaps this would help you all out too.....

Meranda
Thankyu Huey.........I think this has been a living hell for all of us!! so nice to see we have a huge coping group. Thought i was having a nervous breakdown this weekend, uncontrolled crying, shaking, couldn't breath..... dizziness in head..............But i have noticed this weird Hyperventilating scenario....... Never knew you could do it and NOT know it. But also agree with DLT88 with the bubble in the stomach, or under right rib. so uncomfortable..................also dealing with migrain headaches, maybe because of now oxygen......... was wanting to get cked for polyps too. been having underlying feeling of infection, clammyness....fluey........gotta go to doctor..........but gonna work on my breathing!!

Yall hang in there.............."Just Breeeeeath"

Ree
Im 14! I have the same problem as everyone here! It started last year and in the past 2 months I've gone to 3 doctors but Tey all say the same thing! They all say that im worried and unhappy but i tell them its not true and they don't do anything about it! I feel like i cant get the air in! It's so hard! It gets even worse when I lay down an when i try to sleep!
Sweetheart, I have the same thing. Go to a GERD doctor, its acid reflux!! Its nothing dangerous!! She just needs relieve!! Does she have heartburn?
it may be heart problem if it's getting worse, when you lay down.
i just found this too...in a search for ideas. i will post more later-after i read more posts. I have 'asthma' and stress, like everyone in the world, of course. but never had an attack like recently. yawning for air, etc is something I have always dealt with, in a very way, but have always been quite active, etc. but recently i had a racy heart that sent me to the clinic in the clinic in the am following a nite where i couldnt catch a deep breathe or lung-full...or 'yawn' for long periods of time that worsened over a few days. it was my 2nd incident like this and the other was just a few months before. today, or should i say this week, is my 3rd 3-6 day spurt of this. the doc did find my thyroid quite low, but in the border and not below...so i will check again in a couple of months to consider or rule it out. i have a 3-year old with food allergies so we are accustomed to 'elimination diets'. i tried going bread free but kept cheating and was planning to try dairy next, etc...when just yesterday i realized that big attacks are from the a/c (air conditioning)...not just in my home but in the car, mall, and supermarket. this is a tough one as i am an american living in dubai so its always hot as h*ll here! Thank god its winter now so only 80's F and not in the hundreds, like usual. I am still short of breath but its not sever...i can live with it but would rather not! I will contunue trying long periods, or short, of elimination and testing them too. try this. try products, try foods, try cutting out 1 habit.
Ok, so I am still working on reading through all of these comments. However, I would like to openly share my take on this as I read through hundreds of you all suffering from similar symptoms as I am. I normally don't rush to the internet for ideas of answers since most don't share their delightful days & experience, unless logged into Facebook ;) Symptom & sympathy forums destroyed the 1st trimester of my pregnancy as I hung out chatting with like moms-to-be who were 'suffering from loss', 'high-risk', and 'over 35'. We tend to lean on each other for support as we are all suffering somehow. However, when I pulled my nose out of the books and deleted myself from these forums, I was able to relax and go with my situation seeking the positive about becoming a mother soon and doing what I could to feel better. Alright...just an example. I am glad I found this forum, but 'take it all with a grain of salt' we say. If you do google shortness of breath on a reputable site you will come up with around 65+ possible causes. Perhaps go down the list of them one-by-one ruling out each...? I am certainly no doctor, but doctors are not magicians either. "Text Book" is what they know. They study loads and read & research case studies to get exposure to everything they can possibly hold in their heads. They diagnose, not cure. they cannot see clearly inside of us. Be aware that YOU are the best listener to your body, especially as you age. (sending so I wont loose this!)
This sounds like hyperventilation syndrome.  
Try physiohypervent.org
Hello there ,
   My name is John and I want to share my story with you about this air hunger feeling. This all happened about a year ago. I couldn't breath at first at night and then it started happening all day. I'm a very stubborn person and I was determined to get to the bottom of this. I reaserched article after article, book after book and visited doctor after doctor. I took into effect GERD, thyroidism, anxiety and anything else you could think of. I couldn't find anything and it was all that I thought of. Now it might seem crazy that I am saying this but there is nothing wrong with you at all. Its all in your head, but that doesn't mean that your crazy. I'm normal as hell it just means that you are paying too mucg attention to your body. Step back and away from your body and do something to distract yourself. I guarantee as well that mostly everyone this is happening to is a mouth breather. I reccomend learning to breath again, it might seems crazy but this has been what has happened/ You have forgotten how to breath naturally, your second guessing your subconscious. Take breathing treatments from youtube and learn to breath from your diaphragm.  This is all anxiety related. To this day after a year almost I have no problems at all with this problem, and if I do its only for a split second a month. Don't let anxiety take over your life, you can beat this
I have the same problem it ***** only thing that helps me is drinking.. i think it is anxiety and it just compounds itself
Just now noticed this thread. I have the same issues. It is Hyperventilation or overbreathiing syndrome. And it's a Son of A ******. I have experienced some health issues in my life....Chronic back, neck and shoulder issues, Bad ulcers when I was in my early 20s....but nothing like this. all Drs can do is prescribe meds for the anxiety and give encouragement. The rest is on yourself. I'ts about breathing right. I do the exercises and it will help for a while.....then if I start thinking about it (which is how it all started for me in the first place ) it will rise from some dark corner of my mind and bite my *** all over again. what makes it worse is I am a long term pain pill patient/ addict...and I'm sure there is a connection. Because in the a.m. I am fine until I take my 1st dose of meds. I am trying to taper but fear that this problem will defeat me. Miserable thing for a human being to have to experience. I wish SOMEONE would just come up with a damn cure. Perusing forums I have come to realize that this is not a "rare" condition. You would think medical minds would put more effort into this than the script pad. But there is big $$ in suffering I guess. Day to day fight. Good luck to everyone afflicted by this....
You mentioned that you have the Hyperventilation Syndrom, or chronic overbreathing. Get a book called "Close your Mouth" by Patrick Mckowen. He tells you how to do all the breathing techniques necessary. And when you do them, it's ok to feel air hunger. The feeling will pass in a few days or even a couple of days. It helps to reset the metabolism which will help with addictions as well.
I have the exact same problem the majority of people here suffer from: constant restricted breathing/can't take a satisfying deep breath, and have had this since Jan 2012 and it has remained EXACTLY the same since the Sunday when I noticed it had happened (I'm a 23 yr old male from UK).

However, unlike many people here who suggest all kinds of 'causes', I firmly believe this has nothing to do with any of them (e.g. food allergies) and I believe it is solely related to stress/anxiety. I believe this because before this happened to me, I had a history of panic attacks over a period of roughly 2 years (Oct 08 - June 10), but after taking beta blockers I had not had a panic attack since June 2010 (and of course I had not had ANY breathing problems whatsoever in my life apart from the panic attacks).

However, in Jan of last year I began working in a school and, because I'm not a confident person (I have body image problems), I was extremely nervous and on the Sunday after working one week in the school, I immediately noticed that my breathing was restricted. I was on my usual run (I run 3 miles 3/4 times a week) and noticed that I just could not satisfy my breathing requirements in one breath. I had to either 'fight' my lungs to push more air in, or take more rapid but shorter breaths. It is as if my lungs just will not open far enough to let the air in. This problem has stayed with me till this day and it's a constant daily battle.

After a few days of suffering with it, I went to see my local GP on the following Saturday. He did some basic tests on my heart and breathing and said everything seems fine, but come back in a few months if the problem has not gone. Well it did not go away, so a few months later I went back and had some more intensive tests on my cardio system. I had a spirometry, blood pressure test, and a chest xray. The spirometry test measures the ability of the lungs to utilise oxygen. I thought that because it feels like I cannot get enough air consciously, this would show that I have a problem. But incredibly I had a vital capacity of 7.2 litres and forced vital capacity of 7.22 litres, which is 25% and 32% better than expected for my age group (most likely because of my running). This demonstrates that there is no functional problem with my lungs (thank god), but something else is happening which is not related to the lungs ability to utilise oxygen. The xray also came back normal.

Therefore, I believe that this very 'real' problem which we all suffer from is another manifestation of anxiety/stress, much like a panic attack is, but of course instead of being acute and short lived, this condition is a constant daily battle which is ruining our lives. What I guess is happening is that some aspect of our brain which regulates breathing (or within the central nervous system) has changed, and means we are not allowed to consciously satisfy our breathing requirements in one breath, so instead we constantly have to fight our own lungs to intake the required oxygen (even when sitting at home and not under any immediate 'stress'). In effect, our bodies are artificially restricting our breathing, most likely due to an event or series of events, which we accumulatively call 'stress'/'anxiety', which has caused the system to react in such a way (much like a panic attack does). That is what I believe has happened for the vast majority of people who suffer from this specific problem.

I presume that this 'change' in the brain (or CNS) is like a switch which could in theory very easily be switched back, but how we can do that I do not know (thus I do not believe our normal breathing is gone forever). An obvious answer would be to try to discover what the exact causes of the stress/fear/anxiety is, and then try to remove those things, which will hopefully make the breathing go back to normal. My doctor believes it is a panic disorder. However, I am sceptical that even if I was happy and did not lead a stressful life, that it would *definitely* go back to normal. This is because I no longer work in the school environment but my breathing has remained exactly the same from when it happened that Sunday in January. Therefore, I would like to see if medication can help, just like medication helped me with my panic attacks (I have never had a panic attack since June 2010, but would have them about twice a month in the preceding year and a half).

This is NOT hyperventilation. That is a unique condition separate to the one experienced by the majority of people on here. That most commonly occurs during a panic attack, when you literally breath too frequently, taking in too much air and excreting too much carbon dioxide, which leads to dizziness/chest pain/light-headedness/tingling and so forth. We do not generally experience those things. We do not take in too much oxygen or excrete too much carbon dioxide from the blood. We are therefore NOT over-breathing. When we feel like we can't get enough breath, that is because our lungs are literally not allowing the air to go in! This is totally separate from hyperventilation, and calling it such is not helping our cause.

Unfortunately for us, it appears as though the medical establishments of the US/UK are unaware of this 'condition', but it is absolutely a REAL HUMAN CONDITION which is affecting thousands of us. It is not just a general panic disorder; it's a specific set of symptoms that should be recognised as a condition.

It drives me crazy that just over 12 months ago, I had absolutely no breathing problems, and if it was one thing I always thought I had it was my health. Since that Sunday when it happened, the quality of my life has changed dramatically and I never feel good because of this terrible breathing problem.

I have bookmarked this thread and will post back here if I have anything more to share. This is a battle I intend to eventually win!

Dave
I've been having the same problem for about two months now. Anyways, I did the same thing your chiropractor did to you. The result of this was letting out a huge burp...But then I took my first full breath since this whole thing started!!! EVERYONE, THIS WORKS!!!! :DDDDD  
I am 56, work out (hard cardio workouts, so that's not problem), don't smoke, etc and had exact same son-of-a-gun episode everyone on top is describing. I doubt everyone here has "anxiety", or at least didn't until they start having episodes of gasping for air. I thought it was something unusual until i found a thread or two like this. Someone above felt that the medical ppl should be on top of this with more research and that is so true. Instead, everyone walking from appt to appt, wasting time and money on false remedies and suffering, because it may not be life threatening, but it certainly spoils your quality of life. I have GERD, tho I never knew that. They told me it is invisible. Taking stomach meds (tecta). Then one day, out of nowhere, this happened and i found myself in Emerg going home with an inhaler. A little better, but I don't think the final answer. Due to the GERD, I was forced to change my diet a lot, and I have allergies to milk and soy. As we, was trying to lose some weight. It's possible there is something happening in the nutrient department so I review and try to hone that every day. I am a Splenda consumer, gave up sugar years ago, and today read about possible connection between splenda and thyroid. A few of you have mentioned thyroid. May have to check that out. Starting to add some iron into my diet today too. It's all mysterious and a huge pain when all you want is what someone above called "a blessed breath". So true how much struggle for a simple deep breath. I'm positive most of the anxiety is a result of, not a reason for, this problem which should get better attention than "i don't know" from doctors. Thanks for all the awesome posts and discussion.
I find i have problems breathing when i eat or drink anything that contains sulphites, yeast or MSG which is in alcohol/wine/beer or food and a lot of sauces eg tomato, soy etc i use an inhaler even though i dont suffer from asthma. My problems are due to allergies. Look at the product ingredients u buy especially anything with enhancers i think 621 etc ingredients especially in spices and most food. Coke affects me also!!
Oh my God, I know when this is coming on because I experience increased sexual arrousal.  I didn't want to tell anyone this because I thought I would be labeled "crazy".  Two weeks ago I suspected a problem was on its way de to a big increase of sexual arrousal (such as 2 x's a day for a week - and I am 66 yrs old when normally once every couple months).  I told my wife that I will probably be sick, she was happy for the week and then all the breathing problems started and I ended up in the Emergency Room.  A breathing treatment and steroids have not helped, and a week later I am still trying to take a deep breath.

A couple years ago I thought I might have cured the problem with Wild Cherry Bark Extract (3 tsp  a day) and Quercetin with Bromelin (3 a day).  It did work for 1-2 years.  Breathing tests verified that I could get more air into my lungs.  I stopped taking it because I thought I was OK, and in about 6 months to a year it all came back (maybe worse).  I am now trying a Pulmonary Specialist, but don't have a lot of faith there.  If anyone has any other suggestions please share - I would appreciate all feedback.
I have experienced the same identical symptoms and I wish you luck in finding a cure.  Please keep me posted on any ideas that help your situation.

Hello all,

I, like some have posted above, believe that anxiety isn't causing most of our problems, but the problems are causing the anxiety, and rightfully so! Of course, anxious people will have panic attacks, which will affect their breathing, but that is NOT what we are (for the most part) experiencing.

I will list some health issues I had leading up to this as anything could be a clue. I am a 37 year old male.

-I had sinus problems most of my life. Nothing too bad, just a clogged nose often. This is what I initially thought was causing this "air hunger".

-For the last year or so I have had some reflux issues.

-I have gotten dry mouth during the night. I often wake multiple times a night with a very dry mouth. This might be a clue that I am mouth-breathing too much at night maybe and drying out the mouth and perhaps not getting enough oxygen, which may be lead to this breathing issue. I don't know.

-A month and a half ago I came down with a bad sore throat. It wouldn't go away. I do not have health insurance, so I waited and waited. I finally went to a Doc to get some anitbiotics. Soon the throat was better, and then a week later this breathing issue started.

-I am overweight by about 60 lbs or so. I plan on losing that and have begun dieting. I fear I might be diabetic, so if there's any connection there...

Here are a couple of theories I am going with that may have started this:

-We have had a massive heat wave lately tha. I normally sweat a lot and overheat easily, so when I would visit my parents' house I would stand right in front of the AC to cool off. I noticed that when it was directly blowing on my face it would be difficult to breathe. I don't remember that ever happening before, but then again it was a newer AC that was powerful. But when standing in front of the AC I noticed a breathing issue and that seems like too strong a clue to ignore. Plus, just being in a AC'd room could be part of as well.

-I read that some artificial flavors might cause this. Recently, I started drinking a new diet soda "sparkling ice" A LOT! I drank many of these every day for a couple of weeks. Since I didn't really think they caused this after I stopped for a couple of days and felt a little better (breathing a little easier) I had about 1/3 of one. Immediately after I had issues again. Admittingly, this could be totally psychosomatic, but perhaps a clue nevertheless.

And for those of us suffering, I know it's hard but he is a slight bit of advice to handle this just a little better. When we do finally get that good breath and experience that beautiful "airgasm" we tend to take it in even more than we normally would just to get that feeling a bit more and a bit longer. But what we are really doing over and over again is hurting our chests, which doesn't help our condition. Breathe in that nice breath normally and know that another one will come soon. No, not soon enough, but it will come. The more we try to force this the worse it is for us.

Thanks for reading, and if anyone knows a way we can get the medical community to recognize this more please let us do it!
I too experienced this difficulty and my physician prescribed all sorts of inhalers including ventolin and isobutamol. While these symptoms declined for a while, they would return and sometimes intensify to a frighteningly suffocated level. There is always a lot of phlegm in my upper airways during these episodes. The physician started suggesting COPD which is like an idiopathic cause (unexplained in most cases).
Folks, I finally discovered what was triggering it. My pet tabby cat. When Mum visited, she banished the cat fom indoors for three months and I did not notice it but my symptoms disappeared completely - so slowly that I was unaware.  When Mum left, I reintroduced the cat into the house and she spent the night snuggling up to me. I awoke with the worst episode ever. Literally could not breathe. Thinking it was dust mite allergens, I got up removed all my  clothing and ad a hot shower. Then removed all the bedding covers and put them in the laundry. As the symptoms subsided, it clicked or me that it was the cat. The coincidence of the symptoms with th cat's reappearance was too striking. I tested this out over several months and eventually realised that this was indeed the case. Cat now sleeps in the garage and I have been totally symptom-free.
These symptoms are definitely related to allergens of some description be it something in food, the air, pets or dust mites or just plain dust. Have an immunological alllergy screening test is a start to try and identify the source. Thin carefully about where you are or what you are doing when the symptoms worsen. That will provide some clues. Good luck
Would love to hear if anyone has found a solution to this,sppeats to be a silent epidemic!
Hi to everybody,

I haven't been on this site for months.., I found MY CURE and MY LIFE AGAIN and have to share..  I'm able to run fast and inhale deep at the same time and as much as I want.  All anxiety about my breathing and not enough air is gone.  I feel I get more air then anybody else around me.  I take my deep breaths as much as I want now and any second I want.  All the tiredness is gone-high energy ONLY!
I'm vegan for 10 months now, no animal products..0%-0%-0%-0%-0%!!!!  In a matter of week vegan I felt better on HIGH CARBS LOW FAT vegan nutrients.  My key nutrients come from A-A-A L-O-O-O-O-O-T-SSS of fruits and veges.  Just few nuts a month.  
Breathing problems come from fat, meats and animal products.  They paralize our cells and cell membranes, poison them with byproducts of metabolism, everything becomes sluggish and organs become not happy.  "Normal" food with animal products *****!  It leads and escalates all kind of health problems.  I've never felt or looked better in my life then ON VEGAN.  Every second of how I feel and look keeps me going with vegan.
Now I get nausea from the site or smell of meats or animal products.  I can't stand them.  
All our cells need is healthy sugars and minerals.  Here are fruits and veges with all the components you need from Mother-Nature.  Do not need to kill or cause anybody to suffer.
I've learned from these websites:  30 bananas a day, Frelee The Banana Girl, The 811 diet, The 80/10/10 diet.

GOOD LUCK!
I think because there are so many variables it is difficult to find a clear solution to this issue. For instance, some of these breathing episodes for me, seemed to  be onset from reflux. As soon as I was able to get that under control symptoms got better however, they did not clear up completely. From my experience online it seems as if many people were cured in different ways meaning unfortunately, there may be multiple factors or one specific factor coming into play here. Our cases are not one in the same. Here are some that I know contribute, if you really can't pinpoint a specific cause you will need to basically try methods of treatment for each specific case. If you find yourself feeling better after one method, you might have unlocked one part of the puzzle or the whole thing. All of the below have been known to cause what we would all coin as shortness of breath or not being able to take a full breath. I would recommend looking up strategies to deal with each case and then going through one by one. I left out some of the more extreme and rare cases as probability would dictate you have one or several of these below. You can then google "how to treat..." and start with process of elimination. You will find the answer eventually but unfortunately its just not as clear cut. Think of it like a scavenger hunt :)

-Acid reflux or digestive issues
-Ashma (most of the time it is not this)
-Bronchitis
-Stress/Anxiety
-Liver Issues
-Allergies/mold
-Heart Issues
-COPD
-Hiatial Hernia
-Viral, fungal, or bacterial infection
-Anemia
-Broken rib
-Bad posture
-Vitamin/nutrient deficiency
I get the same thing!  I'm 26, 110lbs, with no history of smoking.  When it happens, I just sit there and focus on trying to yawn for air, but it's only effective when it's a genuine yawn and not forced.  Then I have to do it again.  It's really annoying and at the gym people probably think I'm tired and not doing strenuous enough exercise.  I get dizzy at the gym too if I don't get that deep breath.  I also get episodes before bed and when I'm tired.  I feel like it gets better if I lay down to sleep - then my need for air is lower and breathing less is okay because my body is slowing down anyway.  Obviously this isn't always practical.  I have been diagnosed with "allergic asthma" and given an inhaler and Nasonex, but I don't think that's what it is.  I don't get wheezy and I am able to take in air just fine, it just doesn't feel satisfying.  I do get a plugged nose and mucous often though, so the Nasonex helps with that.

I also have fibromyalgia and occasionally get chest pain during these episodes, so then I can't get a deep breath or it HURTS.  I'm pretty sure this is costochondritis.  This pain combined with the air hunger is when I am at my very worst.  All I can do is take Advil and lie down until it goes away.  I usually find that any new set of symptoms I get (such as my newly acquired frequent headaches) are common in people with fibro, so I usually assume that's why it happens to me.
Most of the time, that feeling is psychological, which doesn't make it any easier. I have Tourette's syndrome and I get this periodically, but I always assumed it was one of my tics and I can retrain the worst of my tics with some effort. I guess for me I try to ignore it and do other things, only giving in every once in a while. Hyperventilating to keep up with the deep breath feeling can cause its own problems, like headache, dizziness, and so on.
You may have Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome - I had it for 5 years and it caused such distress for me - I spent thousands of dollars for tests etc and finally last month, someone mentioned that Syndrome - and that is exactly what I have!  I started Buteyko Breathing technique - signed up for a workshop and I am tons better already - have taken 2 classes so far.  I can't believe what a difference it makes in so many different ways - your breathing affects so much - research this as a possibility.
im so glad i've found this place... im so glad to know im not the only one... i think i've read almost all the comments..... i kind of understand that this is coming from hyperventilation and all.. mental... gotta relax... but is there a real solution to this like a medicine? plz help me... i've had this thing for 10 yrs....
i have a question for those who has post here long time ago.... are you guys feeling all normal now?? plz me how you guys fixed it plz!!@ i see there aren't many post anymore since year 2013.. do doctors know how to fix this thing now??
hi ,i am 23 years of age and i find difficult to breath and i fell like i am not getting enough air,pls any suggestions.
Join your thumb and index finger at the tips, on both hands, place the palms on your knees, eyes closed, do deep breathing through the nose 11 times.  

Then Join your thumb and index finger at the tips, on both hands, place the wrists on your knees,upside down(thumb and index finger pointing down),  eyes closed, do deep breathing through the nose for 5 to 10 minutes daily 3 times a day.
Hi All

I'm a 39 yr old female who has had difficulty breathing since I was 7 yrs old. I had an initial incident, like most of you. I was on a houseboat on a lake, and awoke in the middle of the night unable to breathe. After a few hours of trying everything to get my breathing back, my father rushed me to the emergency clinic which was across the lake, and by the time I got there, the cool air seemed to cure the problem. That night...

When I returned home, my general practitioner prescribed me a bee sting kit and an inhaler. I never had to use the bee sting kit, and the inhaler never worked. The breathing problem has occurred every summer since. I have been diagnosed as having anxiety, asthma, allergies to certain pollens, and insect allergies. I feel fairly certain that none are the true cause because I have lived in a wide range of locations, do not have anxiety, and have been bitten by a number of insects, none of which have caused a reaction. Oh, and no inhaler has ever made a difference in any way.

My blood work is very good - no thyroid issues, no cholesterol issues, etc. I have low blood pressure, but not too low. I am about 10 lbs overweight now, but was not overweight as a child when this started. I do know that my breathing is worse when I lay down, that caffeine makes it worse, and that exercise does not affect it at all.  Also, I had no symptoms at all when I was pregnant, which as an awesome year for that reason!

I read a thread somewhere that someone suggested a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of salt in a glass of water. I've tried this twice now, and it may make a difference, but I can't tell for sure. I generally eat low sugar, low carb, but that does not seem to make a difference in the breathing issue, though I feel better in other areas. Meat or no meat makes no difference for me. No anxiety medicine I've been prescribed has made an iota of difference. And no doctor will pay any attention to this. Its incredibly frustrating.

Anyone have any new theories? New successes? I'm all ears!
Can you please tell me where you signed up for buteyko class? I have breathing problems and asthma since I was 5 years old I am now 66. I have seen some of the buteyko classes on you tube. I live in USA Most classes seem to be in Australia. Thank you for any help.
Having been passed from doctor to doctor, I was diagnosed with hyperventilation syndrome after a year and a half of symptoms which started after a bad chest infection.

I do believe it's anxiety based, whether that be the cause or a result of change in breathing pattern. I try to distract myself, but it is a very difficult thing to live with (SOB, chest/ back pain/ tiredness) and to describe to others who don't understand how you "can't take a full breath".  

I will continue with breathing exercises and Buteyko, although they have not helped to date.

Good luck everyone, we will all get over this? :D

Hi everyone, I can confirm after having posted here in 2013 that two years on I have unfortunately experienced NO difference in symptoms and doctors/medical institutions still have ZERO understanding of the issue. I have the exact same condition as when I contracted it in Jan 2012.

My feeling, just as it was when I first experienced it, is that this is a type of anxiety/panic disorder which specifically affects the respiratory system by preventing proper breathing when the person is voluntarily breathing (the individual is otherwise unaffected when breathing is done involuntarily such as when asleep or occupied in deep thought etc). What most people typically  report is that it physically does not allow the lungs to 'open' fully, thus preventing the person from having a full satisfying deep breath. It generally 'turns on' in the persons life and is present indefinitely (it does not 'come and go').

To say this condition is the closest thing to a living nightmare is a massive understatement. I really cannot stress how much it destroys my life. I am convinced that it will one day be recognised as a type of anxiety disorder, unique and separate from the ones currently known. There are thousands of people across the net who report the EXACT same symptoms and go through all kinds of tests yet ultimately doctors/medical authorities remain clueless and have no real understanding of what is going on.

As I stated two years ago, this is NOT hyperventilation, not related to diet and not related to any other disease. It's a real (not just perceived) breathing restriction brought on because of a type of panic disorder which causes the constant dysfunction of the respiratory system. Even if the person does not 'feel' anxious or panicky, subconsciously a stress has been there to cause it to 'switch on' in the brain.

For anyone who's interested, I will soon be posting a youtube video and suggest everyone on this thread to watch it to discuss and share thoughts further.
It's parasites. Find a cleanse. They cause major mental problems, anxiety, ect. As well. I have the same problem.
Let me help you.  I know the suffering you are going through.  It's absolutely awful.  What you, and the rest of these people who are crying for help, but every doctor is looking at your lungs, or heart, or diet, or saying you just need to relax or take an antidepressent... they are all missing a very real, but very curable cause.  You have a Sleep breathing disorder.  Get a sleep study done asap.  Make sure they don't only look at Apneas (when your airways cuts completely off), but they also look at your RERA's (repspiratory events).  A very common condition called UARS (Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome) is ruining peoples lives because it's going unnoticed by most doctors.  See, as you get into a deeper sleep cycle, your muscles in your body tend to relax.  Your tongue, throat, etc--they all tend to get smaller.  So, what is happening is your brain recognizes this, releases adrenaline to either wake you up, or put you back into a lighter sleep cycle.  Thus, you never get Stage 3 (deep sleep) or REM sleep.  These two stages are where your body and brain get their rest and healing each night.  But the sleep related breathing disorder constantly keeps you from getting these stages (REM sleep is when your brain produces good chemicals such as dopamine and seratonin--these make you feel good, but you are never getting them!).  So, because so much adrenilin is being used all night, your body is in a chronic state of stress--thus releasing more of the stress hormone called cortisol.  This constant "quality" sleep deprivation turns into a viscious cycle.  Now you feel depressed and anxious, and then you think that this is WHY you are not sleeping--well, guess what--it's reverse.  You have these symptoms because YOU ARE not sleeping!  Also, the dry mouth everyone complains of--well, the body recognizes you are not getting enough air through your nose, so you subconsiounsly begin breathing through your mouth--this is called Mouth Breathing.  This in turn sets off even more issues.  Now you are actually taking in too much oxygen!  When you exhale, you are pushing out carbon dioxide.  So, sin your oxgen versus CO2 levels are really off (referred to has your gases being off balance).  And also since you mouth breath, you stop breathing like you should through your nose--so since air isn't passing in and out of your nose, mucus builds up in your nose, and now you have a stopped up nose.  And, since you never get resorative deep sleep, your immune system gets weak, so you live basically with a cold (which for many then turns into sinus infections).  Here is a GREAT book that will explain all of this (I get nothing for this--I, like all of you, used to google "I can't catch a deep breath", and saw how many sufferers are out there like us.  After living in misery for years (I'm 42 now), I finally found that I was not crazy, and the anxiety, depression, terrible sleep, always getting sick, over breathing, always feeling exhausted, diarrhea often...  I finally found the answers.  Anyway, make sure you get a sleep study done where they have dealt with UARS (you might have Apnea).  Here are some websites and that book!  Please spread the word, help the millions of other sufferers who have gone to 10 different doctors only to always be dissapointed...   Either a C-PAP, or Auto-Pap, or dental mouth piede (pushes lower jaw forward while asleep to open airways), or surgery to remove tonsils and anoids and increase airway (UPPP--just google it).  First educate yourself with the links I sent you.  Second, get a sleep study done, and look at not only Apneas (I hardly had any apneas...), but also look at RERA's, and then also at your sleep cycles--I'm guessing you'll see very "defragmented sleep", meaning you don't get any deep sleep or REM sleep.  And then once you have that information, you can either go to a dentist that deals with Sleep Disordered Breathing (over 1/2 of them do now), or and ENT (ear nose throat doc) for them to look at your airways to see if they are anatomically obstructive to your airways, or maybe you just genetically have smaller airways and surgery is the answer.    http://doctorstevenpark.com/sleep-apnea-basics/upper-airway-resistance-syndrome   http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2014/01/a-missing-link-dr-barry-krakow-s-research-on-insomnia-and-sdb/
Ohh my freaking holy cannoli's! I am in tears. and lol I actually seem to breathe better when I'm panicking or hyperventelating. God I hope you, him her find a cure. Cause I'm going out of my freaking mind, and I've only had this for 3 months and i just want to die. I've had soo many tests, blood xrays ekgs  pulmonary gastro endoscopy i hate this soo much. i'm the calmest person anyone knows and this def creates panic and anxiety+
I too have the difficult deep breath thing. It seems to go hand in hand with
working with my left hand such as waxing the car or shoveling. This cause
pain under the left side of ribcage and the next day difficult breathing.
hello !
i've been suffering the same since March 2013!
i'de like u to contact me
mail : morgan_mm***@****
thanks
FINALLY! I promised myself to come back and write here, if I will find out the reason, so I am here and the reason of constant shortness of breath is BABLO (found it on forum too, and made test, which was positive). Had many of "diagnosis" (aniexy, depression, it's in your mind, eat more ferum, sport more,..) ant eated so much drugs, which didn't help...
Good luck for you guys and please come back and write here, if you find out also, becouse it could help for others, us it helped for me (thanks :)).
Hi everyone,

As I've read most of these comments and stories are from a few years ago. But I've gladly came across them. I've just turned 23 years old in July. And my symptoms are the exact same as most of you all. This has been a long battle for me, just like most of you all on this. I've had these symptoms for over a year now. Although, not like many of you. I can guess what brought my symptoms on. Ill add that I did used to be a smoker, but only a part time one and had regular intervals of a couple months without smoking. I stopped immediately for good once my breathlessness started. At the time, they're was a lot going on in my life, I had got into a new relationship, a new job as cabin crew, my parents were separating, and I lost my brother and family animal in the same week. it was a hectic time. But to be honest I never felt stressed once, I felt like I was handling each situation very well. rarely cried and just got on with it. Anyway back to the symptoms. I first felt the sensation when I was at work, and felt that little panic of not being able to catch my breath. so I would relive my waistcoat thinking it was maybe too tight. bearing in mind I was not over weight and relatively healthy for my age. I started thinking it was hayfever, and that possibly because of the cabin pressure I was finding it difficult to breath. From then on it came In spells. Every so often I would get this overwhelming feeling of panic when I couldn't catch that breath. I also suffer from hypochondria which I've just recently been diagnosed with. This connects ever so slightly to what I'm going through. I started thinking of the worst case scenarios and very quickly thinking, lung cancer, collapsed lung, heart disease, tumours, blood clot in the lungs. And because of my hypochondria I would rush myself to A&E and cry out that I may have been having a heart attack ( at the age of 23 is bizarre) but these symptoms gave me this impression. Of course normal maybe people will worry and be tested for these symptoms however my hypochondria jumps straight to worse case scenario and I think I'm dying.. so I've always been a little more dramatic. These spells of breathlessness then stuck around for weeks at a time, every day and would only seem to disappear when I eventually fell asleep. but as soon as id wake up it started again. I had long nights on the phone with NHS 24 as I genuinely thought I wasn't breathing.. and it was officially them that started with the anxiety chat. I had heard of this but never knew much about it, And thought there's no way that what I'm feeling is a panic attack. I've been suffering from breathlessness for weeks now. I found myself going for baths one to two times a day. To help relax my muscle's as I was hyperventilating that much trying to catch that breath that my back and chest started hurting.

So to attempt to cut a story short. The battle has been like most of yours, I've been for many tests and because of my age they rule out pretty much everything. First off ill describe in detail exactly what I feel. I have this overwhelming feeling of NEEDING to take a deep breath very regularly. So when I start to feel "breathlessness"..  every 3-5 normal breaths I then gasp for a deep breath. And when I cant get it I wonder why!? and my body sometimes goes into a panic. So when I cant get these larger breaths. I then yawn yawn yawn all day trying to catch they deep breaths.. that I really do not have to be taking. I only found this recently.. I started watching everyone around me and noticed that no one takes deep breaths unless they're running/exercising or yawning because they are genuinely tried. so why am I taking noticeable deep breaths every minute? My chest is now hurting my upper back is now hurting because of the strain, I'm now frustrated and feel like crying.

so only a few months ago, very oddly when laying in bed with the TV off, ready to sleep as the most relaxed anyone can be. my heart starts racing and thumping like I've done 30 star jumps. I immediately get out of bed and PANIC. I don't understand why my hearts palpating when I've been laying in my bed ready for sleep. I'm not stressed, I'm not over thinking, I'm ready for sleep. why is this happening? so as I do.. I call NHS 24.. and they send me up to hospital that night for an EKG scan. As ironic .. my hearts fine and I'm not having a heart attack. so why is this?

All in all, I've been for 2 EKG scans, numerous asthma tests, a respiratory test. And any terminal illness tests I've thought I may have. And they've all came back satisfactory. I've also been provided with two inhalers, they also don't seem to work as they should. Maybe something to do with the fact I do not have asthma. I got myself a personal trainer as the thought of being In a gym myself and working out whilst having this shortness of breath game me the fear. And I was scared in case something happened and no one knew what to do. So i started with my PT and very quickly id be out of breath and sometimes even go into yet another panic because i couldn't catch that breath, would be extremely dizzy on some days. but this would usually be put down to being unfit.

If your symptoms are anything like mine, shortness of breath, feeling that urge to over breath and take deep breaths, yawning all day because you cant catch it, sometimes it last for weeks at a time, and then can disappear as quickly as it started. Then as much as I hate to say it.. do major research on Anxiety. most people think anxiety is just panic attacks and whatever else. And don't know enough about it. but I genuinely used to think this as well. until I read loads about it. I've done so much research on it. And it could be that the reason most of you are around the same age and or same age when these symptoms have started is because you've been going through subconscious stresses. In other words stresses you've not been aware your stressing about. And so the symptoms most of you are having relate to what anxiety makes your body do. If you think about it this way.. imagine yourself wrapped up in bed with  the light off... and think of spiders under the covers.. your body will react to this and you'll start feeling tickling on your legs and or nipping like sensations.

For a year and a half. I thought I was faced with every critical illness there is. But what I found just recently .. Is distraction is the answer .. my new partner is very distracting for me, I could be having a bad day (shortness of breath) and I'm aware of my breathing, so its continuously happening until I maybe speak to him on the phone or face to face.. and as soon as I'm fully distracted it disappears and I'm breathing normal.. but the minute I start to think of it, it comes back. That's why doctors will be telling most of you, to exercise, its not just to become fit and healthy but because its a great distraction!

Anxiety is very common, its just unfortunate most people don't know a lot about it. And brush it off. Chances of us all having the same symptoms but nothing showing up on tests and it being an undiagnosed critical illness is very slim. however I would never rule anything out. One of the symptoms of anxiety is that you feel like your the only one in the world with unique symptoms. Honestly look it up. Doctors cant test you for anxiety they can only judge from satisfactory tests that we may have had for other similar causes.

Other possible symptoms of anxiety:

Sore/tight chest
Sore/tight upper back
yawning
breathlessness
heart palpitations
burping
dizziness
headache
dry mouth
tingling sensations in fingers and toes
fatigue
nausea
rash
blocked nose

I hope that this does help a lot of people

If your unsure but want to read a bit about it anyway. visit Anxiety.uk

I could not understand what the diagnosis that I went online and found
If you could please expand on diagnosis and treatment
Thank you
Hi adar..
R u from Israel?!!
Gam li yesh et habaaya azot..dabri iti
It may be low iron. Doctors usually don't know a lot about vitamins so they say it is anxiety or asthma.  Low iron can cause labored breathing.  I changed vitamins and the new vitamin didn't have iron in it.  I started having the same symptoms with the labored breathing and yawning to get a good breath. I read up on vitamins.  I realized that my new vitamin didn't have iron so I went back to the old ones,(Flintstones Complete) which has 18 mg of iron. My breathing went back to normal in less than a week.  

Also, heart palpitations can be caused by low magnesium. Get some information on vitamins.  

Hope this helps!
Try taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar organic Braggs with water when it happens it's often digestion related and water cures asthma and I've had this problem whenever I eat it's digestion related for me.
I am only 11 years old and I have been having breathing problems I do not have asthma. I also feel like there is something blocking my throat when I take deep breath.
I have the same problems. Find a parasite cleanse safe for children.
IT IS PARASITES EVERYONE. DONT LISTEN TO REGULAR DOCTORS. FIND A HOLISTIC DOCTOR, NUTRITIONIST, DIETRICIAN AND ASK THEM TO DO EVERY TEST POSSIBLE. THEY ARE TRICKY TO FIND BUT DONT GIVE UP. YOU CAN BUY PARASITE CLEANSES ONLINE. PARAGONE IS A CHEAP EFFECTIVE CLEANSE. 95% OF AMERICANS HAVE OR HAD PARASITES IN THEIR LIFE. THEY ARE EXTREMELY COMMON YET GO UNACKNOWLEDGED BY TYPICAL DOCTORS.
Hiya I'm exactly the same can't even sing or say a full sentance without my breathing beinf what we call not normal iv been for ecgs blood test ect and nothing wrong I also got told it's my anxiety but for some unknown reason I do feel like it's more been like this for over 12 months now it's annoying and very upsetting can't do the things I used to do first have you tried getting rid of your anxiety as I struggle but need to overcome this it's how to overcome it