STDs - International Expert Forum
HPV or Broken Hymen?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

HPV or Broken Hymen?

Doctor,

Three years ago, I was diagnosed with HPV with visible warts. I treated the warts with Aldara and they disappeared in less than a month. I performed regular self exams for the first couple of years, but have not recently. For the first two years, I informed my partners of my previous condition. However, I chose not to tell my current boyfriend, as it has been 3 years and my understanding from my doctors and this forum is that I needn't worry about being contagious.

After choosing not to tell my partner, I grew worried and thoroughly checked myself. I have somewhat firm bumps around where it appears my hymen was from about 4 o'clock to about 8 o'clock on my vagina. I have always noticed that in my self exams. During this exam, I also noticed a single bump that seems to be of similar tissue, however it is around the 10 or 11 o'clock position. The bump is very small (maybe smaller than a pinhead) but sticks out a bit. It can be pushed to lie on each side or just stick out straight, much like the tissue from my hymen. Also, when the skin around it is stretched, it almost disappears. When it is not stretched, I can feel a small firm bump. Now that I think of it, I do remember having itching in that area in the past. I believe I have seen it before, but didn't worry as much because my partners were informed of their risk.

I have two questions:
1. Is it normal to have a single bump from a broken hymen in that position (10 o'clock), isolated from the rest? I thought it could usually only be seen around the bottom of the vagina.

2. Does the tissue I describe seem like it could be a wart? My other warts were firm, did not stick out and could not be manipulated.

I understand that it is impossible for you to diagnose a wart without seeing it, however I am currently living overseas. I have seen doctor's here in the past who have diagnosed me and my friends with anything from herpes to pregnancy without a blood or urine sample.
Tags: HPV, hymen, worry, Warts
Hello

Its a difficult one as you say but I think probably from what you describe it is most likely to be normal vaginal tissue. I would suggest leaving it alone and not to inspect it too often or you'll get a little obsessed about it.

When do you get back or when are you next in a place where you could have a gynae exam?

best wishes, Sean