STDs Expert Forum
Can Chlamudia lay dormant, and only appear later??

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Been with a girl for about six months now, and we have had unprotected sex for the last three months.

We split for a couple of weeks back in October, at which point I had unprotected sex with my previous girlfriend.

Have had symptons for a couple of weeks now, and think I may have contracted Chlamydia judging by the posts on this forum(i.e. slight pain when urinating and sometimes after ejaculation, along with a small milky discharge first thing in the morning is worse).

Off to the clinic tomorrow for confirmation, but was just wondering  where it came from.

Obviously most likely is ex girlfriend had contracted it in the summer and I have been infected, BUT

1. Is it possible the current girlfriend was infected before we met and it has only emerged in me now? If so, why not when we first had sex?

2. Is it possible my ex had it during our time together (earlier this year) and it has only emerged in me now?

3. Is it possible I have had it for a while (i.e. I'm the carrier) and it has only come out now?

If positive I will be telling my current girlfriend, but obviously I'm gonna be in for a pasting if the only possibility is that I caught it during a fling a month or so ago!!!!!!! :-(

Thanks for the help.

Clearly you have urethritis.  Do follow through with your planned clinic visit, and bring your partner with you.  Regardless of the results of your tests for gonorrhea or chlamydia, she needs to be treated as well.

The timing of your symptoms indeed suggests you were infected during your October fling.  However, chlamydia and sometimes gonorrhea can persist for many months, especially in women, and there is no way to know with certainty whether you acquired your infection last October or more recently from your current partner.  Persistent infection also occurs in men, but it probably is uncommon to develop symptoms so late; that is, it's most likely you acquired the infection 2-4 weeks before your symptoms started.

But it isn't necessarily chlamydia or gonorrhea; the cause is unknown for over half the cases of sexually acquired nongonococcal urethritis (NGU).  Some cases probably are acquired by oral sex and are due to otherwise entirely normal bacteria from the partner's mouth or throat, in which case there is no implication for other partners etc.  Still, you both need to be examined and treated.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
Many thanks for the swift response.

Like many others have said, this is a great site when youre stressed out to the max, and can't share your worries or concerns with anyone else, so many thanks for that. I think many on here probably wouldnt ask some of their own doctors the same questions they do here.

I know I was a dodo for seeing the ex girlfriend (even if was on a break!!!!!!) but am aware this is nt a moralising site, but I am in a moral dilmena rearding the current girlfriend.

I now need to go and research Urethitis (if that is indeed what I have). I have already told the current girlfriend of my initial concerns a week back (mentioned cystitis as have suffered from it before) and will just have to find out how possible it is to catch urethitis without admitting to my October faux pax. Of course, she could have had a fling on the break as well LOL.

Once again, many thanks from a now more relieved Brit.

A related discussion, I need a miracle was started.
A related discussion, dormant stds was started.
A related discussion, chlamydia contraction was started.
A related discussion, can chlamydia lie dormant in a man for upto two years? was started.