STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia/Zithromax Treatment

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia/Zithromax Treatment
Doctor H,
I have a question about chlamydia and zithromax treatment.

Would taking a course of zithromax 500mg the 1st day, then taking 500mg 9 hrs later, then250mg the next day and 250mg the last day, be effective treatment against c?

(I know that 1g at once is recommended, but just curious would this dosage be just as good.)

Thanks for your help doc.  You have been extremely helpful to all of us.
That regimen would be just as effective as the single 1 gram dose, perhaps even a bit more so.

Thanks for the thanks--

HHH, MD
Thanks for the quick reply (as always.)  

Sorry doc, one last question.

Would 10 days of Levaquin 500mg be effective against c as well?

Thanks (last post I promise.)
Doc,
I went to the urologist yesterday.  I finished up a course of levaquin 500mg for 10 days 3 days ago.  I feel a little better, but I've been getting this weird feeling in my urethra, like a feather tickling me.  He said it could be the "prostate cleaning itself out."  

Have you ever heard of this?  Or am I being fibbed to?  Please help.  Thanks doc.
Can I take four 250mg Zithromax at one time as a single dose instead of the single dose 1g?
Would Ciprofloxacin cure Chlamydia as well if it was taken for 7 days 2x a day at 500mg?

Thanks for answering.
Hi, My friend is working abroad for the summer and before she went took a test and the results are back as positive. She saw a doctor in the clinic last week who's English was OK but there were some communication probs. He has prescribed Zithromax 1 capsule a day for 3 days. Is this enought to clean the Chlamydia? I had it years ago and had to be on antibiotics for a week!
Im about 2 1/2 months pregnant

How would I take the 4 pills they gave me
should I take all 4 now
Or take one in the morining then in the evening
Then the next two the same time tomorrow..??