STDs Community
caught herpes! CONFUSED!

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

caught herpes! CONFUSED!

me and my partner have been together for just under 2 years and i have just been diagnosed with genital herpes, wow it hurts lol. i'm just wondering where it came from? and if my partner had it why have i only just caught it?
Gential herpes comes from having sex with an infected person.  Or having oral sex with an infected person who has oral herpes.  Or that you hand skin-skin contanct with the lesion of an infected person.  

Just because you have it doesn't mean your current partner has it (however you have been with him for 2 years --so its likely both of you have it) .  It could mean you have a active sore outbreak and he doesn't.  Average outbreaks for genital herpes occur about 1 or 2 times a year.

You should tell him about you herpes diagnosis.  And learn more about your condition and what it means for the both of you.  
aah okay. does it mean we caught it off an ex-partner? if so, why has it only just come to the surface? can you catch it other than off another person?
It means one of you caught it off an ex- partner.   You are not born with genital herpes, so yes.  Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD).   It has "come to the surface" because it has been activated by stress or something like that ---its called an outbreak.     Please read about herpes here on the expert forum: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Herpes/show/339
or google the basic questions.