Sleep Disorders Community
CPAP & sneezing/runny nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

CPAP & sneezing/runny nose

I just received a new pressure (8) on my humidified CPAP, and I'm having a big problem the minute I get up:  tickling to actual burning when the air hits my nasal membranes, runny nose, and constant sneezing.  When my machine was set at 3, this happened a couple of times a month, - I blamed myself, thinking the CPAP hadn't been properly cleaned.  But now I clean it in hot soapy water every day, and the problem is every single day!  Do any of you have this problem?  I have to have the CPAP...but this nasal condition is getting out of control!
Your machine was set to 3? Are you speaking of the setting for your humidifier, not the pressure of the air, because a person would be in trouble at a pressure setting of 3 as that is not high enough to flush out exhaled air, and probably not enough to splint any airway open. Can you clarify what those 8 and 3 numbers actually represent? It would be helpful.

Have you found a natural or maybe even non scented soap? Also, soaking your equipment in a solution of water and white vinegar can rid it of body oils, etc.

I am having the same problem with my C-PAP machine. It has happened a few times and now it is every week or more. I wake up in the middle of the night and start sneezing and it lasts for the whole next day. Just one sneezing sequence after another. I am miserable. I thought I might need to clean the machine more often also. Now I just don't know. I think I just have to wear the mask. When I wear the nasal pillow it seems to happen more. Did you find any solution to this problem?
My husband has the same issues daily.  He has asked his doctor for help thinking it was allergies, and was tested for all allergies, with none found.  We have just talked about that it may be his CPAP mask.  I am glad to know that it is not just him.  He sneezes in the middle of nite and every morning many times, 15 times this morning, then sneezes off and on all day. It seems to be getting worse.  Yes, his nose is always full too.  He is miserable.  Thank you for your email so we know what may be causing this, as his doctor is at a loss.  If you find any answer please post it, and we will too.  

From DJC1
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Congestion, runny nose, sneezing, sinusitis, and nosebleeds are common problems with CPAP use. Make sure that your mask fits properly and a CPAP machine that uses a heated humidifier can help relieve these side effects. A saline nasal spray at bedtime may also help. If it persists, talk to your sleep specialist for further evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
I just started using my CPAP with a swift nasal mask 3 weeks ago and you just described my systems to a tee.  I am miserable.  I have been taking Sudafed when I wake up and it has helped but I can't do this forever. There must be a simple solution to this problem that so many users are experiencing...
I have been having the same problem.  On 8-12-10 I woke with what I thought was a severe allergy attack.  But, it did not end.  I sneezed, but what has been miserable is the constant runny nose.  Like a flood.  It is debilitating.  I seen my doctor 3 times, was sent to ENT, had CT scan and MRI, seen ENT  4 times and was sent to a neurologist.  Not one of them knows why I am having this problem.  After 3 1/2 months it finally quit, then on 12-22-10 it all started again.  I have not been able to sleep over 2 ?ours a night.  I have to have the CPAP to sleep, but can't use with constant severe burning in the nasal area and runny nose.  I am feeling hopeless.  Is there anything that can be done
I am so relieved to read these comments about sneezing. I have had two episodes since I got my machine and I have been sneezing so hard and quickly that I get dizzy. I ended up in urgent care on an out of town business trip and was given a steroid nasal spray and some derivative of prednisone pills. The symtoms (symptoms) went away and then BANG, they came back last night. I can hardly function today with the sneezing and running nose. What are others doing. I don`t want to stay on steroids. HELP!
I am on the CPAP machine with a humidifier and everything was great until I used the CPAP machine WITHOUT the humidifier. I didnt want to drag the whole unit to visit family so the therapist said when i go on evernight or weekend trips to disconnect the humidifier.  I thought i was allerrgic to something back home. I was sneezing and water dripping from nose all day i was misserable, I finally figured out that the humidifier was saving me from the side effects of runny nose and sneezing. I posted this on another forum and it helped a lot of people. I also have heard people say that it took two days to adjust the humidifier to the right setting then they were home free. I havent had those aweful symtoms (symptoms) since...Hope this helps you!
These posts have saved my life, thanks so much! I must have sneezed 300 times yesterday and went through a whole box of tissues. Last night, I turned the heat from level 1 to level 5 and today I am fine, no sneezing, no blowing. Thanks to everyone!
i have the same symptoms, my rt said stop the humidifier. no help still sneezing all day. help.
I am all of the above. please help. I need the cpap. I have tried with and without humidity. my pressure is set at 12. 2 to 4 hours of sleep dont cut it. pluse sneezing allday. puffs plus get espensive. nose runs like a faucet.
I too, have been having the same problems. Sneezing non-stop for hours when I get up in the mornings. I take Benedryl but like some of you, I really don't want to take that so often. It makes me so tired! I've tried cleaning my machine, mask, put new filters in, bought a new hose, mask, etc. Nothing seems to help. I have had this machine since 2001. Maybe after 10 years, and 20,000 hours on it, I need to replace it? I do have a humidifier on it, but can't control settings. Have any of you had your machine this long?
Thanks to each one of you for your comments! I am amazed that other are having the same sneezing problems. I have been on cpap therapy approx. 8 years, & the sneezing & runny nose has not become a frequent problem until say the past few months. It has got so bad that it is several times a week & I wake up at about 3:00 a.m. pulling my mask off while I am sneezing through it. The sneezing & runny nose continues all day long. Last night I tried my spare backup machine which is not heated, & I must have worke up the entire neighborhood with my sneezing. This morning I am a mess sitting here at the keyboard with kleenex shoved in my nostils. Tonight I will go back to my heated humidifier machine, & try it with the heat setting higher for the humidifier. Hope this helps. If anyone does not have a humidifier that is heated, they can put a hot pad under their cold water bypass humidifier, & turn the hot pad on low. I use to have to do this & yes it works, & there is nothing dangerous about it.
Ten years is incredible for a cpap machine. The longest I have gotten out of one was 6, & that was my original one. Since insurance will no longer pay for one, & I can't afford new, I have purchased my latest one off of Craigslist, for $100.00 & it was very low hour & clean. I recleaned though to be safe. One can find out how to set the pressures for most any machine by doing on line searches. It is very simple to reset pressures.
I, too, am comforted to know that others have the same problem. I thought I had developed allergies at age 67 (unlikely). What amazes me, after reading all of your statements, is that doctors and technicians seem to be 'unaware' of this problem. That's what they act like when I contact them at wits end, as I am miserable from the sneezing and non-stop nose drainage!  First, with no humidifier. Then, with humidifier. Problem continues. I have stopped using the contraption. Do you know about Provent. Ask for a Rx. Try it!  Works for me. They are disposable band-aids with vents that you wear over nostrils nightly. Does the job. Much better option, If it works for you.
Thank you so much , I am trying his tonight !! I am miserable sneezing and water running out my nose all day !
Run solution one third ginger two thirds water thru machine w tube on. Also mix drop go GSE into your nightly water
Read my post below
Read my comment belw