Is it safe to give a toddler melatonin?
My 2 and a half year old just will not go to sleep. He is very hyperactive but mostly cheerful, but at bedtime he becomes agitated and refuses to go to bed, no matter how many stories we read to him, or songs we sing etc. He seems afraid to go to bed. He eventually conks out on our bed at about 1 am from sheer exhaustion, and then we have to transport him back to his bed. Needless to say, we, his parents, are seriously affected by our own chronic lack of sleep and complete absence of a life. I was wondering if low doses of melatonin could be safe for a child this age and if it might help him get into a better pattern.
Ask your Doc/Psych. This is not the place to ask questions about safety issues for children.
Stop reading to him. Stop singing to him. It doesn't work anyway and gives him the means of manipulating you. Why not just stick him in bed with you until he is a little older. It would mean putting him to bed later, but so what. He will wake later in the morning and you can enjoy a peaceful cup of coffee.
I would say NO. Do you have him sleeping in your room right now?  Why not just put his bed in yours for now. Get some sleep and when you are ready do it one day at a time and help him adjust.

My daughter is 8 yrs old and she still has a problem falling asleep and wants us to sleep with her. I  know the sleep deprivation. I have lived and I am still living it.

Your child wants to be with you and you give him comfort. Its hard when you want your own time to sleep and they need you there all the time. Sometimes we just have to do things to make the situation better. I dont think there is anything wrong with your child being in your room if they are scared to sleep alone. Do you blame them?  You are with someone and they are alone.  Its dark, scary, and they are alone.  

Trust me if you give in to this I think that it would help, well it cant get worse.  I went against it and made her sleep by herself and dealt with the hour long struggles, her crying me getting upset etc. it was a vicious cycle. However I was a single mother at the time and my space and time was necessary to my well being. I needed it more than I needed anything.  

Take turns sleeping with him or have him sleep with you.