Sleep Disorders Community
Pineal Cyst and Sleep Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Pineal Cyst and Sleep Problems

My husband had an MRI done many years ago and they found a pineal cyst.  The doctor said they find these type of cysts in many people and that they cause no symptoms.  He has had a couple of MRIs since that time and the cyst has grown a little over the years.  He also has suffered with sleep problems.  I would like to know if sleep disorders are common in people that have pineal cysts.  Could it be possible that a pineal cyst could have in impact on the production of melatonin and cause sleep problems?  I realize that most neurologists say that these type of cysts do not cause symptoms, but how do they know that it doesn't have an effect on melatonin?  It would be interesting to know from people that have a pineal cyst if they also have sleep problems too.  

Thank you.
Tags: years
I just did some googling, and while not scientific, there's sure a lot of anecdotal evidence of sleep being affected. Is your husband's doctor a neurologist?
Hi plynn, how are you and how is your husband doing? Is he able to get adequate sleep? There is not much documentation on the sleep symptoms of pineal cyst but it does affect sleep in cases where cyst is big enough causing pressure symptoms. Hope you will get some information from the following link regarding the pineal cyst and melatonin.
http://www.webmd.com/brain/pineal-cysts-symptomatic
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview
I would suggest you to get your husband evaluated at a sleep center for a sleep study. Keep updated on the doctor advice. Take care.
Hi, hope you and your husband are well.
I also have a pineal cyst. I went for years not being able to sleep. Doctors didn't seem to think it was a big deal. But this year it got worse. I noticed that when I was trying to sleep just laying there awake I was dreaming. But I looked at the clock over 15 minutes or so. My mind was going crazy. I couldn't remember things and very confused. I asked my doctor to check my melatonin levels. I found out that I had a large amount of it in my urine. Don't know why. So I went for a sleep study and found out I have narcolepsy. And it can make you very crazy. I also pass out or drop to the ground, this is cataplexy from the narcolepsy. It paralyzes your muscles. You can have very vivid dreams and sometimes not be able to respond after waking. So yes I believe that it has to be related. But the neurologists of course say no. Thing is the pineal gland isn't something that is really studied. But when the pineal gland is what controls your sleep and you have a cyst there putting pressure on it and you have sleeping issues HELLO? So I am searching for new doctors to help with this. Hope your husband finds the help and answers he needs! Take care.
Please let me know if you find out anything.  My 11 year old daughter has a 9mm cyst on her pineal gland and was just diagnosed with narcolepsy with cataplexy.  I would like to know if you find a doctor that will help you .  I am not really up for putting my daughter on stimulants if the cyst is attributing to the problem.

Thank you
AA
***@****
After various tests to diagnosis the reason for my constant headache, several sleep studies, and trying unsuccessful treatment for sleep apnea, I recently found out that I have a pineal cyst (8mm).  Of course, neuro said it was nothing to worry about and had nothing to do with anything, but sounds like a lot of you out there are experienceing similar lack of help from doctors.  Unfortunately I don't have much info on what to do next (sleep specialist said he's never heard of a test for melatonin levels), but I thought at least I'd let you all know out there that, yes, there are others with the same cluster of symptoms- some times it's just nice to know your not imaginging it all.  
I'll post again if I get any more helpful info
I too have a pineal cyst and narcolepsy (no cataplexy). I have bouts of confusion and lack of focus and often have headaches at the base of my skull. I was also told that pineal cysts were nothing to worry about.

Well, we are lucky that they are not life-threatening of course, but they certainly cause symptoms. There are many blogs / forums / posts with people all reporting the same or similar symptoms!

The only professional who I have had acknowledge the connection as obvious was my kinesiologist (who's is also a chiropractor). As she said, the pineal glad is responsible for producing melatonin which regulates sleep patterns and efficiency, so if you have a cyst there and suffer sleep-related issues, why could it not be possible the two are related? Seems logical to me (& most of those withthe cyst!)
Forgot to mention about your 11yr old daughter, aa257. I understand the concern about putting your daughter on stimulants, when it may be like a band aid solution and not dealing with the real issue.

I would encourage you to pursue further diagnosis, but would definitely allow her the clarity that the stimulants provide. I take Dexaphetamine and it makes me feel"normal". I don't feel hyper or high, just normal. Family and friends say the same. That I seem back to normal. (My first 30 years had no symptoms). It took 2-3 weeks to settle after very mild reaction of slight breathlessness and jittery feeling for 20-30 mins. But not really much to worry about and now I don't get any of that. I cope better with life too, I think because I can just live it, without constantly trying to focus / concentrate / stay awake!
hi i to have a pineal gland cyst. My neurologist states my symtoms (symptoms) are not related but i suffer from severe sleep issues, i suffer hallucinations both visual and audio in my sleep it can be very scary as i can see these things and hear them and no im not schizophrenic as this doesnt occur in the day also i sleep walk. this as all started since i was 13 now 25 and no answers. i had a head injury at 13 the symptoms began but yet no relation to the injury or cyst My theory is that i had a serious bang to the head the cyst developed or grew and it effects my melatonin levels and disturbs sleep but to a Dr my theory is crazy why???. i am now fed up!!!! does any body else expirence this? im sick of been told im depressed by my gp
I was in car wreck when I was 10 and had three skull fractures. At 16 I started having severe migraines. In my twenties the drs. Found a penial cyst. Now in my thirties still have severe migraines 9- 15 times a month and suffer with insomnia. And drs tell me none of it has to do with migraines. Ugh. It's very frustrating. I read an article that said people who start having migraines at an early age are more likely to suffer from depression. I think it's because of so called specialists.
Hi, I have an 11mm pineal cyst and was told "nothing to worry about," two years ago. I saw a new neuro a few weeks ago and she said they can in fact be symptomatic. I'm having another MRI tomorrow and see the doc again on Tuesday. I also have terrible problems with sleep. I can't get to sleep for a couple of hours and am exhausted all day. I'll ask doc this week and let you know if I get any more info.

Carol