Sleep Disorders Community
Weird Sleep Cycle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Weird Sleep Cycle

When I try to sleep for a full eight-ten hours, it takes me a very long time to get to sleep, and I almost always oversleep. When I sleep in the early evening for about four hours and the very early morning for another four or so, I seem to function better. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
It's not that uncommon to develop such a sleep pattern as you describe. What is important is that you get the best sleep that your body requires. If you seem to function best on this cycle then I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if it becomes a bother, or you are truely concerned about it, then I would mention it to your doctor.
Avatar n tn
One key thing you said is that you function better with this sleep pattern. As long as you see no signs like daytime sleepiness, lack of alertness, memory issues, etc., or if it interferes with your lifestyle, I wouldn't try to force it. There's quite a bit of discussion of segmented sleep (also under several other names) on Wiki. Interesting reading.
I am looking for help. I am unable to sleep for 2-3 days, then I pass out for between 12-18 hours, wake up and repeat. I lay in bed for probably about 5 or 6 hours trying to sleep. I have tried a lot of suggestions like: Wraping my head in a cool damp towel.. sleeping with a cold pack.. White noise machines. Playing relaxing calm music. none of it has helped. If you have any suggestions please tell me.