Sleep Disorders Community
Why does my body do what I dream?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Why does my body do what I dream?

In the past two months I have had this happen to me twice. One dream I was making mac'n'cheese and was adding the butter and milk, but I tasted the milk and it was sour so I ran to the sink and spit the milk out. I soon awoke and found that I had spit on myself and had to clean my face for I was sleeping in my back and must have spit straight up. In the other dream I was experiencing a party near what was my new up-scale townhome. But I guess I discovered my new western style restroom and had to choose between a leather box on the wall used as a urinal (I'm a female) or the toilet. I did not have to go so bad in the dream, I was not rushing to the restroom or anything. In my dream I sat on the toilet and I woke myself up after wetting myself and my bed. Im' a 21 y.o female, hardly drink ever, not heavly medicated. I'm just wondering if theres something wrong with my body, should I start keeping sharp objects away from my bed and wear an adult diaper?? I just want to know what elst to expect from my body while I sleep.
Sounds like you could have a very mild form of REM Sleep Disorder.
I agree with DanW11. Have you ever been known to sleepwalk? What's hard to know is if a physical sensation triggers a dream or if one is acting out a dream. My father acted out his dreams to the extreme. That can become serious and should not be taken lightly. Unless you sleepwalk, I wouldn't worry much. If you do, then I suggest agressive measures to keep yourself safe.

I think most of us have had the occasional potty dream, and I've attributed it to the mind creating a silly dream because of the physical sensation of the need to urinate. Before my sleep apnea was treated, I frequently had dreams about smothering, choking, etc. and would wake up struggling to breathe. I feel certain in my case the physical sensation came first. I do not have what my father had.

Does anyone observe you sleeping? It might be a good idea to keep a journal of your incidents as well things anyone else observes, as it might prove helpful should you ever need to be evaluated by a sleep doctor. Include in that journal things like if you'd had a particularly hard day prior, late dinner, not enough sleep the night before, etc. If a pattern emerges, maybe identifying some triggers could allow you to avoid them.