Smoking Addiction Community
Smoking during the night

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Smoking during the night

I think I am finally approaching the time to try to quit, again. I smoke approx 1 pack a day, but recently I have had insomnia, or even if I get up to go to the bathroom, I light a cigarette. I usually take a few drags, and then put it out, but I dont understand why recently I have had the desire to smoke at night?
I cant use the patch as I am allergic to the glue, and I dont trust that new inhaler, so that leaves me going cold turkey or using the gum.
My Dr. gave me two boxes of the gum, which I havent tried yet, but I wonder if I pop one in my mouth when I get up at night, give it a couple of chews and throw it out, if it would help my recent night craving?
Has anyone had success with the nicotine gum? Has anyone had sucess with anything else I havent mentioned?
I would imagine, with insomnia, how you would want a smoke to accompany your long night. What would be more worrisome is if you awoke to smoke.

The patch is probably the best quit aid. To bad you are allergic to the glue. As for the gum, well I'm not a fan...my personal opinion. I know many who have quit using it, but now they are hooked on the gum! No matter what way you look at it, as long as you chew it, you are putting nocotine in your body. I have heard of people who are chewing for more then a decade, yikes! Have you ever considered Chantix/Champix? It's expensive but generally one will quit within 3 months.

There is a great website, whyquit.com which is a great way to quit & stay that way. Whyquit supports a cold turkey quit and you can even join with them but even if you decide to use an aid you can read the articles there.
Make sure you have a good support system when you are ready!
Good luck!
I have been where you are now. I quit cold turkey 2 months ago. Now I rarely think about them. Once you have the mindset to do it, it is easier. The thing that keeps me off of them is the memory of all thos unsuccessful quits. Never again! EW!
Its so hard to quit when you enjoy it so much. Smoking is my #1 vice, I have basically quit all my other vices, but this one is one hell of a challange.
I swear by the Nicotrol Inhaler! This is the only thing that ever made me quit. Now I just use it now and then just to have something to hold and put into my mouth. This is the best thing they ever came up with. It gives you the mental part and the physical as well. You have something to do with your hands and it kills you physical addiction as well. The amount of nicotine in minimum and you just use it as needed. I have smoked for 26 yrs and now have been smoke free for three. I used the patch, the gum, the pills, even Chantix which is really expensive and I think a scam! It did nothing. I even tried a computer that told you when to smoke and lowered the amount every week till you are down to one. Nothing made me quit for more than 3 days until the inhaler. Please don't confuse this with the new electronic cigarette. They are really bad. I tried them and they almost made me go and buy smokes. Thank god I had the Nicotrol inhaler to fall back on. I wish the best of luck and will offer any help I can.  The email if they will let me post it, for any questions you might have is chefjames333 which is a yahoo address. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

James
Thanks for mentioning that inhaler thing. I gotta buy it. I quit cold turkey and was smoke free for 5 months until 2.5 months ago and now I just can't quit.

I am weaning off of an antidepressants and maybe that makes it hard to quit. Not to mention other issues I have such as job loss, divorce etc.

But once I defeat this evil again (and I will), I will never smoke again.
How long do you have to keep taking the inhaler, until you are confident that you can quit without it, or is there a time limit?
Keep in mind that this Nicotrol inhaler contains nicotine so if you are looking to quit, you will just be prolonging it.

Educate yourself on the reasons you smoke and what your triggers are, read the articles at whyquit.com and stay away from smoking friends for a little. Stop the coffee for a few days and dig your heels in! You CAN DO IT!
I just can't gather strength or motivation for 1 day to be smoke free. I need just 24 hours and the rest will follow.
good luck friend!
I think the problem with something that keeps nicotine in the system is that it is the emotional side of smoking that makes us fail. I think you learned this as well as myself after going six months without and then failing. It was not the nicotine that made us fail it was the emotional crutch and familiarity with the act of smoking. Unless the mindset it there, nothing will help for long. Good luck.
Exactly, Teko, exactly.  You summed that right up!
I bought some fake cigarettes w/o nicotine from some herbal store. Didn't do the trick :(