Smoking Addiction Community
Wondering how my fellow ex-smokers feel about their lungs now

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

So it's almost been 2 months since quitting, and although I do feel much much better.  I am still getting some nights where I'm laying there and if feels like my lungs are burning... it's an inflammation feeling in my lungs and it varies in location.  When I quit smoking it was like more intense and steady for like 4 days straight and although it has gotten better it's still there.    I also get that inflammation feeling in my throat and I've had sore throats too, almost felt like someone was trying to choke me.  I took antibiotics after seeing the medicenter doctor and it did help so I think it was an infection.  But then after the antibiotics it kinda came back a bit again.

I don't really have any chronic cough, or cough for that matter.  I had a minor one before and I occasionally clear my throat and sputum comes up... mostly macrophages that did their cleaning job.

I am seeing my family Doctor today so I'm pretty excited about that.  Going to be talking to him about all the health issues that I have been having.

But yea just wondering if any of the ex-smokers have that inflammation burning feeling in their lungs that I'm talking about... or sore throats.  Or if they had it and it has gone away.  
Hey Pin.... Although I only smoked 1 pack of cigarettes in my life (I chewed Copenhagen for 30 years and decided to quit using Marlboro Lights.... what an idiot) I can tell you that after that pack, my lungs were ruined.  Worse than that, my lungs were already compromised with asthma, and me being the rocket scientist I am thought that Marlboro's were the best way to go..... I quit chewing later for 4 years and recently quit again, like 36-37 days ago.

The common denominator with both quits is, I went cold turkey.  I tried to quit by cutting down, and really that made matters worse.   This quit, I just dropped it.

How do I feel?  Great!!!  My teeth, lips, and gums no longer hurt.  My throat feels as if it has been relined, and I haven't had a bit of heart burn since dropping it.  No regrets, and I know I wont be going back.

As for the 1 day smoking career.... after coughing for 2 days in a row and wheezing for a week, I was smart enough to realize that smoking is not the way to quit chewing as a nicotine delivery... the way to quit nicotine is to drop it!
I had that burning sensation before I quit, but not since putting them down. I also no longer have that smokers cough. I have a bit of insomnia off and on thru the night still, but other than that not much difference except I smell better and am saving copius amounts of money! That be a good thing! I am 6 weeks into my quit.
As a result of my 40 years of smoking, I find it difficult to walk in the very cold temperatures, it really hurts my lungs. I still use my Advair but maybe once every two weeks...I am so grateful though as I have never felt healthier.

When I quit I was sick for about 4 months. I had 2 sinus infections, bronchitis, pleurisy and my eye, nose and scalped itched so badly! My lungs felt like they were crispy and it took a while for the burning to go away, but it did, eventually.
In retrospect, I wonder why I waited so long!
Good job Brice, PinPin & Teko, congratulations!
Huh.  What happened to the order of this thread?  Odd.  

I too, had that burning sensation before I quit.  It was due to having bronchitis for 5mos for only the second time in my life.  I consider myself Very lucky since I'd been smoking for 36yrs. That burning sensation has been gone for some time, however, I wonder if I now have asthma or some form of beginning COPD since I still need my inhaler on occasion.  I will be coming up on 1year quit on April28th.  My last tiny little cheat of literally one puff happened last Oct 6th and nothing, not a single puff since then and absolutely zero desire to actually inhale cigarette smoke although I'll be honest and say I would LOVE to smoke to cut the boredom, but that's the only reason.  

Good going, everyone!!  Keep it up!
---
9m 3w 13:54 smoke-free, 2,964 cigs not smoked, $815.10 saved, 1w 3d 7:00 life saved
My post corrected the order this thread was in just so you know I'm not crazy, LOL...although, maybe a little...
WOW! Amazing Jade, you go girl!
I'm pretty amazed myself!  I was just telling someone else, I just canNOT go back to the whole "suiting up" OCD crap.  That alone, every 20mins or so was...ugh, I don't even want to think about it.  I am So done with it!  

Thank you, my Hero : )
After 30 yrs of smoking. I can't really remember what healthy lungs feel like! Sad but, true. I've been smoke free for 18 months now!! I also have the burning feeling in my chest and a little huff and puff when I walk. DAMAGED!! May have to have this checked further! I was told when I was in the early stages of my quit, the pain in my chest was my lungs trying to heal themselves. And the cough was also part of the healing. I can't say this is forever, but, as it stands, I really have had no cravings or wanting to smoke again. Best of Luck to everyone! :o) T
I have quite a lot of issues, but my biggest one is that I MUST stop smoking. I smoke under 2 packs of menthols a day. I guess with my other issue of never sleeping it keeps me smoking through the night too.  Any help for me..
i must stop smoking please help
River & Missmel... I am smoke free after 30 years.  I used the equate patches from walmart which are much cheeper than the name brand but I also lit a candle.  I know it sounds strange but I kept a small yankee candle by my side especially at the computer in the evening which was when I did more smoking than normal.  
Each time I had an urge to reach for the smokes that werent there, I would light the candle.... you go through the motion of lighting something but the smelll is much more pleasing than a cigarette.  I would blow it out if I got a new urge and light it again with the next urge.  Something about reaching for the smokes but lighting the candle helpped me.  Maybe it will help you?  I am happy to say I am smoke free and patch free now.  Although I do keep a patch on me in case something stresses me to the point in which I normally would have said the heck with it ... I need a smoke!  Put the patch on and the urge goes away.  Good luck!