Speech & Language Disorders Community
late talking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

late talking

my  son is 3.5 years old and he doesn't talk his hearing is normal but he does not under stand what are exactly saying.his health and behaviour is normal. is he suffering from autism?how can i figure out?
Hi Gullezehra,

There are many reasons for a child to be delayed with language. Autism is one possible cause of language delay. Is there a reason you are thinking autism?

BC
my son,s understanding about things is slow.i really don't know about autism.his health is good.he is good at his own things.play different game.nowadays he is running tricycle.but ,iread somewhere that late talking may be due to autism.how can i judge this.
Children with autism have difficulty with several skills:

-Communication, which could include using vocabulary correctly, understanding what people say to them, repeating what people say, etc.

-Relationships and social interaction, which could include eye contact, facial expressions, establishing friendships, being interested in other people, etc.

-Stereotypical behaviors or limited interests, which could include a need for things to be the same, clinging to routines more than peers, preoccupations with certain topics, hand flapping, spinning, etc.

There are other characteristics, but these are the three areas that are necessary for an autism diagnosis. If you would like more information, you could google "autism symptoms."

BC
Hi there.  Does your son point at things to express himself to you?  Can he follow any commands?  If you say, get X (something he likes) . . .  what does he do?  What I'm trying to get at is if he is communicating in any way.  

There are three parts of speech--  receptive (understand and processing what is being said to you), expressive (organizing thoughts and formulating what you want to say) and articulation (actual making the mouth muscles make the sounds to say it).  All parts must be working for speech to take place. A minor issue of any of these can cause issues.

My son has sensory integration disorder.  He has mild dyspraxia which is motor planning, how the brain processes information and the nervous system sends out signals to carry out a task such as fine or gross motor things.  Apraxia is another form of praxis and this is related to speech.  A child that doesn't speak may have apraxia.  google this for more information.

I would say that if you can see a speech therapist it would be important.  Early intervention can make a huge difference.  My son's sensory symptoms (which did also involve speech) are significantly better due to interevention.  If you child has a speech delay on its own or it is related to some other neurological issue such as sensory integration disorder or autism, it is important to try to start to identify the root cause.  Start with a speech pathologist/therapist.  Your pediatrician or primary care doctor can refer you.

If he is making sounds, I have many exercises to help strengthen mouth muscles.  let me know if this would be useful.

Best of luck to you dear
thank you for your such good detailed answer.yes you are right to find out a root cause which will help me out.i 'll pray for your son .
Oh, you are welcome.  I am around med help often if you need any suggestions of things to try or just need support.  Hang in there.  Praying for your son as well.  Peace