Stroke Community
after effects of a TIA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Viewing 201-209 comments:
You had a major event and your chances of having a full stroke with far worse effects are about 35% in the next 5 years.  So I hope that you give yourself time and take every precaution to avoid having the full stroke.  And change your standards for doing things.  Who cares about an unmade bed.  You take care.
My mother who is 91 was taken to the hospital Oct 7 2013 & after several test was informed she had had a TIA was was sent home after 1 night in the hospital with no appointments to see a neurologist, is this normal protocol?  Just trying to gather as much as information as I can.  Thanks in advance for any replies.
I had a tia on July 26th 2013 and was hospitalized from friday night to sunday morn. I had it about 130pm in the afternoon but didnt go to the hospital until my husband got home that night and seen what kind of shape i was in. I was driving about l mile from my home when all of a sudden my vision in both eyes was gone had to stop the car. Thankfully I was on the phone with my brother when it hit so he and his wife came and got me . I just thought it was inner ear because i have had vertigo due to inner ear. But when my hubby got home my speech was slow and slurred. So he immediately got me to the hospital. It was so scarey. I have had a follow up mri since the attack that sent me to the hospital but this mri show i have had several and there are plaques showing up. So now I have to see a neurologist. My mother and her mother and sisters have a history of tias as did my father until he passed away. I am still having problems with my memory and concentrating and trying to remember words. I also am depressed. I am 48 years old and this stuff is scarey.
My husband, who is 81, had a TIA on Friday, Oct 11.  His speech was awful.  he couldn't put a sensible sentence together.  I took him to the ER and they kept him overnight.  He was okay the next morning so they sent him home after doing tests on him.  The CT showed he had a small stroke, but since he was already on blood thinner and his blood pressure was fine, they don't know what caused it.  they didn't recommend a neurologist either.  I think they should have.  he has been sort of depressed and sometimes confused.  But he is very defensive when I ask if he is okay.  He won't admit he isn't "quite right" yet.  So scary!!!
Yes, I am.  I had a TIA last week 11/14/13.  I am so fatigued, and find it difficult to focus, although all tests show there was no damage.  I cry all the time and feel very irritable.  I feel like I'm losing my mind, as I feel as though I've been given a second chance at taking care of myself, but I'm depressed.  I feel ashamed of myself for feeling this way.  It's going to start effecting by work as my job takes a tremendous amount of concentration and focus.  Ugh...what to do????  
Why are you ashamed?  No reason to be.  Depression can affect people for all different reasons.  You need to see a doctor and see about getting an anti-depressant.  And perhaps therapy might also help you.  The only thing to be ashamed about is to not get help when it is easily available to save your job, your state of mind, etc. If you see the remarks above, many people have side effects that last for awhile even though it is a TIA.  Get the help that you need.  You take care.
JUST HAD A TIA NOVEMBER 2013, IN THE DC AREA.I ASK "GOD" TOO! WHY ME, I WORK OUT, EXERCISE, AND TRY TO DO THE RIGHT THINGS IN LIFE. SO WHY DID I HAVE A STROKE.............It should not be this way to people...life cut short
You only had a TIA whose side effects are mostly reversible--hardly a life cut short.  But you must follow any instructions at this point because now your chances of having a full stroke are about 33% within the next 5 years.  Look up the risk factors.  Big ones are high blood pressure and smoking.

Many people do feel the "why did this happen to me?"  Sometimes life just happens for no reason.  

I had a full major stroke with no risk factors at all.  Some strokes do happen that way. And I don't consider my stroke as being "life cut short".  Although it did disable me in ways that I have finally come to peace with.  

There are other things that can happen for no reason such as an aneurysm which mostly kills people on the spot. Or you could get hit while on the road and be killed or severely injured with nothing that you did wrong. And there are many other medical maladies that can happen to people.

To the "why did this happen to me?"  Grieve as you need to.  That is a healthy thing to do.  Then you just have to make the most of what you do have. That's all any of us can do.  You take care.
To all asking about TIA after-effects.  Please review the definition of TIA's, and you will find that by medical definition, all symptoms are resolved in 24 hours.  If this is not the case, you did not have a TIA, but a stroke, and you must immediately seek further attention and therapy on that basis in order to try to resolve the symptoms.  The symptoms will not just go away.
I had carotid atery sugery in june and now im told I have accessory mononeuopathy I am also still having numbness on my opposite side all mri of brain are normal
Hi Just read your post and could so relate ...I had aa TIA several years ago then a possible one a year ago and 3 weeks ago had 2 episodes on a Friday then Saturday night...Friday night started with a short stabbing pain in the chest, didn't worry too much coz it quickly went away but then got tingling/numbness in collarbone,jaw, side of fce, lips and hand all on left side went to the hospital where I saw 3 different drs all with different diagnosis and released in the morning....then that day by mid afternoon had a 10 scale headache and immense waves of nausea, confusion and out of body feeling grabbed aspirin and chewed on way to hospital where they said I suffered a migraine (never had one and Im 52)...the pain and nausea went away within approx. an hour and 15 mins after showing at hospital....I am living with my daughter and carer of my 2 1/2 year old grand-daughter and a full-time uni student. Since the last episodes weeks ago I am depressed, anti social, noise sensitive and just want to curl up, I feel lost a lot of the time (not physically- emotionally) and am not able to concentrate on my over due assessment. I have no time for anyone and am very easily irritated. This is the opposite to who I was before and am worried I am not going to get back to my old self. my doctor has me on aspirin and antidepressants (which I don't like to take) and my anxiety is through the roof especially when I have to deal with anything - I have nil stress tolerance also ....arghhh I just hope things get better....thanks ffor reading :-)
I had a TIA that lasted 3 days.  I was unable to speak  I thould that TIA were only a few hours.  Has anyone had that experience?  Also I still feel "fuzzy" I don't comprehend everything I read.
I've had an TIA on Dec 25 and I'm still feeling numbness and tingle feelings on my fingertips, my speech is slow and slurry, my lip feels swollen,  I can't focus and I'm having short term memory loss. Its only been 2 days, but I am sadden by my sudden condition. I have always been very quick with my thoughts, speech, and very athletic. As I read more and more comments on these after effect conditions; I feel as I lost a part of who I am. All the effects,  my left knee, left side of my neck, left side of my mouth, my speech slurry , left side vision on and off blurry, my left elbow and forearm, hand and finger tips numb with occasional tender pains and tingling. Will this change too the better or is this the beginning too a different life style
It was believed that I had 3 total between 3-6 pm
If it's a TIA, then it should go away.  But if not, there is physical therapy and speech therapy which can help all of what you have written about.  Don't lose faith.  Call your doctor to get more help on this and to answer your questions.
What were the 3 different diagnoses?  I don't why you don't like to take anti depressants, but you would be very wise to take them since you have a lot of responsibilities.  Also ask for some anti anxiety medication as well if the anti depressant doesn't help your anxiety, which it could.  Strokes can change one's mood considerably.  Wish you the best.  You take care.
I am a 27 year old female and a year ago (actually almost 18 months now) had a TIA after a surgery to remove adhesions from my uterus and bladder after a terrible c-section. Thank God, I was already at the hospital, but I had the feeling that I couldn't breathe, tat my chest was heavy and then had a miserable sensation at the back of my head that I was falling backwards (I was lying flat on the hospital bed). I started to tell my nurse something was wrong and called my husband on the phone. Mid conversation, I lost all my ability to speak, the right arm starting moving uncontrollably, the left side went numb, and my head was shaking involuntarily back and forth. I tried to write on a piece of paper TIA or STROKE but could not form the letters. It was a nightmare, feeling like you were in hell. I could hear and understand everything that was going on around me, but nobody understood me. I couldn't talk, or blink, or make eye contact. All I could think was, my daughter is only a year old, I need to survive this. Why is this happening? I followed up with neurologist, did blood tests, the whole thing, all results were normal. I still feel a constant headache, my right arm feels numb up top and buzzes at my finger tips. My hearing is sensitive, my moods are hot or cold  and I have always been very even keeled prior to this. It's very hard for me to read, and takes a very long time to write or type. I don't want to have this happen again, but I can't find a doctor that knows how to help me.
I am currently having this problem. I work in a ER and I was at when when I had my very first TIA. I was in the hosp for one day... I had blurred vision, could not talk, cloudy memory, the smallest of tasks would take me hours, I would feel like I'm running a each for DAYS not hours... Today alone I lost my speech 10 times, so I believe I was having small TIA's throughout the day. I would become quit tired and often I would forget things... I am able to write what I want to say down, but I am not able to speak it.... I often stutter my words... I get small headaches on the left side of my head and thats when it all starts, so I know when this comes on.. I also have short term memory loss (This coming from a guy who is OCD and remembers everything)

It's not easy living this way and is very hard. I find that I don't talk to people much in public and when I have this I often just keep quiet. This is new for me... Being in the medical field I know what I SHOULD BE DOING, and what I am not doing. Knowing what is or COULD happen should make me RUN TO the ER, but I am stubborn and stay away (Even know I work in a ER)

Anyway, How long will this last?

I need to know how long this will take to pass... I am going to talk to everyone at work tomorrow and see if I am having several TIA's....

If anyone knows, PLEASE EM me or let me know
Hi, Nice forum!  A lot of info. Makes me feel better.  Knowledge is power!  I just had a TIA mini stroke on 1/15/2014. Started with a intense headack on the right side of my head temple area. Then next a clamy sweat came
over me followed by pronounced weakness in my left arm. Left side of face numbess like novacain. Nauseated. I took the rest of the day off thinking is was a sinus prob.  Slept the rest of day into night. The next day stayed
home, only getting up to eat. Slept most of all day.  Still feeling affects. Next day Friday went back to work with still same affects, not getting better.  Then I called the doc and went into to see what happened to me?

They ran a EKG and my heart was in Atrial Fibrillation. This could have been a few weeks to a month in this condition. I never knew!  OHH about 180 Beats per minute! Not that I was freaking out or anything!  The doc
recommended that I check myself into the ER and I did. CT scan, Ultrasound, another EKG, another type of ultra sound to see the arteries was applied to me.  The CT scan found a clot in the right side brain! TIA mini stroke.  Blood thinners, Blood pressure med, one to make my heart pump stronger, and one to slow down my heart. They kept me to slow down my heart. Squeezed hands, lifted arms legs. 3am in morning had light shined in eyes! Counted back from 100 by 7's to 0. I had a problem with that before that! :) Asked me to identify stuff!  Passed them all.  

Hospital stay from 1/17/2014 to 1/20/2014. They are keeping me on a blood thinner until they do a cardioversion to get my heart back into normal rthymn.  Here it is 1/30/2014 and I still feel alittle numb on the face, I go to
work, no memory loss as I know of. Left arm is now back to 97%. It was so bad I had a hard time buttoning my shirt. Now I can. It does seem to misfire a little. However, I am really tired each day. Feel like I have been

rode hard and put up wet!  However, I do want to note that the side affects on some meds are dousiness!  One for BP I take once a day. I take it at night. The second med for Blood thinning I take two per day so at least I take it one along with my BP med before bed. So maybe some of the tiredness is due to side affects from the MEDs but not all. My first Heart Doc app is tomorrow on what the next step is.  

I am optimistic that things will be fine. My wife lost her wits, as in scared out of! Great support is the key! My wife, son, friends, work mates all have
rallied around me. If it was not for the support, I would have other problems.    It's good to know that I am not alone in what is happening to me. Although I am a little unnerved that could happen again!
Hi! I am SO glad I found this site, thank you so much to everyone who has commented. I cant begin to tell you how relieved I am now.
I hadHi! I am SO glad I found this site, thank you so much to everyone who has commented. I cant begin to tell you how relieved I am now.
I had what I presume was my first TIA a few weeks ago. This was the first time I ended up at the accident and emergency hospital, which is why I presume its my first. The 'loss' of words scared me badly. The harder I tried to get to focus on a word, the more confused I got and the more words I 'lost'.
Its now 3 weeks later and aside from the crippling headaches (I am told that this is because I am a migraine sufferer) I am doing okay. A little slower than before and less patient, but what I have noticed and I wondered if others got this also, is when I am stressed or put myself under pressure, I lose my words or I get them jumbled up so instead of typing 'produce broadcast (I am a radio producer and host) I would put prodcast and even though my eyes tell me its wrong, my brain cant figure it out. Will I always have this or will it fade in time?  what I presume was my first TIA a few weeks ago. This was the first time I ended up at the accident and emergency hospital, which is why I presume its my first. The 'loss' of words scared me badly. The harder I tried to get to focus on a word, the more confused I got and the more words I 'lost'.
Its now 3 weeks later and aside from the crippling headaches (I am told that this is because I am a migraine sufferer) I am doing okay. A little slower than before and less patient, but what I have noticed and I wondered if others got this also, is when I am stressed or put myself under pressure, I lose my words or I get them jumbled up so instead of typing 'produce broadcast (I am a radio producer and host) I would put prodcast and even though my eyes tell me its wrong, my brain cant figure it out. Will I always have this or will it fade in time?
I am a 31 year old female in general good health besides a neck injury.  9 days ago I had a TIA at work out of the blue.  I felt like I was hit in the side of the head with a baseball bat with a spike on the end.  Severe bashing type pain that worsened on each inhalation.  Everything went bright and I got hot and sweaty.  This lasted less than 2 minutes.  Then came weakness, tingling (mostly on left side of face but also in arms and legs later on that day) and slight drunk feeling.  I wasn't slurring much, but my speech was different and I had a hard time finding some words.  2 short bouts of very loud ringing in my left ear and serious fatigue.
I should have gone to the ER but instead I was able to see my primary.  He said no, not a TIA, I'm too young for that.  He told me to rest for the day and call in the morning.  I called and requested an MRI and a referral to a neurologist.  The MRI finally happened 6 days later.  It didn't show any signs of what happened that day, but did show an 8 mm lacune in the left basal ganglia from a prior insult, and the report said the prior insult was a year old.  I don't recall having a stroke last year although I do have migraines.  I also have trauma to my jaw and c1 and c2 from an assault 3 years ago.  Next step is Neurologist to try and get some answers and some sort of plan.  Since the episode I have had a constant headache, weakness, fatigue, moody as hell, and neck pain much worse than normal.  I saw my spine doc today (every 4 weeks to put it back together due to ligamentous strain not holding the damn things in place) and he said age means nothing when it comes to strokes/TIAs.  He recommended a neuro as well.  I am having to keep going back and fix words in this!  I also noticed problems texting (hitting the same wrong letters trying to make words over and over again) and trying to think of specific words.  I'm really glad this forum is here.  It made me cry reading all of these.  I'm sorry to all of you going through this and I thank you for posting.  It really helped me.  I didn't understand why I was still so tired...
Very grateful to hear all of your stories here. Had some kind of 'brain attack' 2 months ago. MRI revealed lesions. Neurologist first thought MS, now doesnt think it's MS but they dont have any idea what it was. Do have history of migraines, but this was way more severe than that. Severe heachach, loss of vision, couldn't process or speak, nausea,, totally 'paralyzed type feeling in both arms and shoulders. Awful processing, memory loss problems. A lot of the symptoms are resolving quickly, but still feel like someone hit me across the back of my neck with a baseball bat and have occasional memory issues, tons of fatigue and blurry vision. It's been 2 months of tests and no answers. The Doc last week actually said they thought it was just aging. That i was getting older, and maybe my neck issues were arthritis. I swear I felt like the Charlie Brown character Lucy!  ARGGHHH!!! Anyway, it's so great to read about all of your experiences. I will continue taking all of the supplements that seem to be helping and hope the fatigue and neck pain resolve quickly. Thanks for sharing your stories. It helps a lot.
Perhaps you need a second opinion from another neurologist.  I had a ignorant one right after my stroke.  Arthritis does NOT cause the symptoms that you mention.  It's great that your symptoms are getting better. Give it more time.
You are not too young for a TIA.  Even children have strokes.  Would be interested in what your neurologist had to say.
My Mom came to live with me in the winter of 2012 after suffering a TIA in the Spring of 2011. She was no longer able to perform at work and because of hte extra care she needed and her lack of ambition her marriage deteriorated.  More than 3 years later she complains of a lot of the symptoms listed here (tired, dizzy, unbalanced, weak on one side). Have any of you had any successful treatments? We went a few neurologists and no one really had any treatment ideas other than physical therapy. I've been riding her for the last few years pretty hard, telling her she's not doing enough and has become lazy (she sits around most of the day) but now I see a lot of people are dealing with the same thing. As her son it's driving me crazy to see my mom go through this and I feel helpless. Anyone have any suggestions?
Yes, is she on an anti-depressant?  That could help greatly help with her motivation.  If she is taking an anti-depressant, see about raising the dose with her doctor.  Or if she is on a peak dose, then changing to another anti-depressant.  

Also can you find anything that really interests your mother?  That might give her some motivation.  But nothing will interest her if she is suffering from depression, which it does sound like she is.

And yes physical therapy and speech therapy are the only two things that I know of to help with stroke disabilities.  But you didn't mention that she has difficulty with her speech or swallowing, so speech therapy would not be a treatment for your mother.

Wish the best to you and your mother.
She was on mild anti depressants for a while after she came to live with me but she thought they were making her dizziness worse. We are moving soon to a city where volunteer work opportunities for mentally impaired adults exist. We talked about it and she thinks she wants to enroll. Hopefully this will get her headed back in the right direction. She's still relatively young (56) so she has a lot of life left to live. Thanks for the advice Sara.
Thanks for your reply.  I hope that if the new place and opportunities will help her. But if not, I hope that you will consider taking her to a doctor about her dizziness and another anti-depressant that she could take.  If she has clinical depression, no amount of great opportunities can make a difference.  Yes, she has a lot of life left.  I had my stroke at 56 years, but due to my disabilities from the stroke, I have very little of a life.  But I am not depressed and have made peace with it.  Your mother is very fortunate to have such a caring daughter as you are.
I was thinking about when I had my first TIA and I remembered having the worst headache of my life at 13yrs old, this was in 1993/1994  I was taking a French test as school and lost use of my right arm and my vision got blurry.  From then until Feb 2009 I have suffered many terrible headaches.  I have seen many doctors had a CAT Scan and was always told that I have migraines.  Over the years I was taking large amounts of medication to dull the pain of the headaches and I would just wait until the numbness and blurred vision went away.  The pain got so bad over the years that I was taking 3 extra strength pain killers at a time.  I had a headache in 2009 that lasted the 31 days I finally could not take the pain and my stomach could not take the excessive amounts of medication so I went to an emergency room.  I was given pay painkillers via IV and this helped. Until 2 days later when the pain returned, but I also had loss of memory and numbness.  During Feb 2009 I went to 6 different doctors and when I was finished I had a large Ziploc bag filled with medication which did not work.  I had at least 4 TIA and then a permanent headache.  The last doctor I saw finally realized what was happening and sent me to the hospital where I was diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera. I was given asprin and this took away the pain and I had no more TIAs.  I was put on hydroxyurea and that has kept me TIA free.

I have noticed that I have been depressed a lot over the years, my memory comes and goes and I have gotten extremely clumsy with my worse accident required a trip to the ER, stitches and X-ray scans.  My doctor does not think that I have any long term effects of my TIAs but I have to wonder if I do not have long term damage after suffering for so long with this problem.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that could help?
I am 57yrs old and had my 3rd TIA on Saturday, now 4 days ago. I woke up and tried walking and fell down. Got up and fell down again. I also have Multiple Sclerosis and called my 35 year old daughter that I live with, to come help me. I told her I also had a very bad headache. She gave me medicine for my headache and I went back to sleep while she sleep in my recliner. When I woke up 3 hours later, and could still not stand up or walk, my daughter also noticed my mouth was drooping on the left side and I was slurring my words. She begged me to go the hospital, which we did. They took me in immediately and did a CT of my brain and said they found a spot that had not been on previous CTs, and were going to diagnose me with at Stroke. When I gave them my history over the past 16 hours, they said they felt my Stroke had started about 8pm the night before and the actual stroke happened sometime while I slept between 10:00pm and 7:00am.  This was way past the 4 hour window for medication to be given to help the side effects of a stroke. All we could do was wait and see if the symptoms started going away, which would mean it was a TIA and not a full Stroke.

The symptoms did get better, but did not go away. They released me to go home on Sunday evening. I really thought I was feeling much better, then I woke up Monday morning and could hardly move, my mouth was dropping again, but not as bad as originally. I can barely walk with my walker, and all I want to do is sleep. I pray and hope these symptoms will gradually continue to decrease. Anyone with similar situations?
I am 54yrs old & I suffered my 1st TIA 4yrs ago at that time I was told I had suffered a stroke.  It took me a year to be able to walk on my own and still suffer from slight left-sided weakness.  After all that I was told I didnot have a stroke and they could not explain to me what happened.  K was forced to medically retire from a job I loved. I went to see the neurologist from my HMO who told me to go see a psychiatrist! I was so mad I called my insurance & requested to go out of network thankfully they approved it. The neurologist I see now is so compassionate and has done quite a bit of different test in the meantime I still continued to have TIA's. He found I had a PFO I had it closed on Aug. 2013 thinking yes no more problems. Well that was short-lived because 2wks after surgery I had another one. I have gotten to the point where I don't want to go to the hospital when it happens: left side droops, confusion, left side weakness can't lift my leg or arm then comes the headache.  It is SO FRUSTRATING each time I end up in the hospital cat scan, mri all come back normal. Even the hospitals seem to be tired of me I just got released once again 2days ago. I didn't want to go so I waited until the next day and I was getting worse the headache kicked in and I could hardly see out of my left eye. After prescribing two more medications added to the 8 I already take (I haven't gotten them) I was sent home @12:00 midnight.  I am soooo tired of this roller coaster but I have no other choice it sounds horrible but if they claim it's leading up to a major stroke then get it over with but to be honest I don't even think the doctors know what is going on. God bless you all and I pray that someday they can actually tell us what is happening.  
I am so sorry to hear about all your trips to the ER.  Have you looked at the risk factors for a major stroke, including keeping a good blood pressure, high cholesterol and no smoking?  I would be worried too. I quizzed my doctor in detail about my chance of having another major stroke.  

I sincerely hope that they figure out what is going on with you.  Good luck.
The next time you wake up experiencing hardly able to move and  your mouth was dropping again, you should call 911 so that they can give you the medication in time to stop the problems. And those around you should know the signs of stroke so that they can call 911.  I did not have the judgment to get help when I had a major stroke until hours later and I am VERY tuned in to my body.  The night before I experienced tiny red lines in my peripheral vision.  I  immediately went online to see if I should go to the ER.  It showed nothing.  But the next day when I woke up initially paralyzed and couldn't speak properly, I didn't know that anything was wrong with me.  Maybe that's what happened to you the last time you experienced it.  Try to drill it in your head that you need to call 911 if you experience any of the stroke symptoms.  I don't know if it will help, but that's what I've tried to instill in my brain--LOL.  
Hi everyone!

I am sincerely hoping you are able to help me. Or at the least guidance and support.

I am 35 and just was discharged from the hospital. I was admitted for TIA but discharged with Complicated Migraine with facial weakness. All of my tests came back normal. I am still experiencing headache, left side weakness, slurred/delayed speech, right side facial droop and now vision problems. I really feel as if this is not migraine related. My doctor won't listen to me. I have three children and a husband who all need me. While my stay at the hospital I had two Neuro Alerts called on me.

I can't even talk without an "episode" popping in. I am really annoyed and frustrated.

Thanks for reading my rant. Any help would be appreciated.

Danielle  

Hi, my partner had a T I A on Friday and is suffering with exactly the same symptoms.
I was just reading your post about the heaviness you feel in your legs...this could very well be caused by the liptor (liptor)!  None of my family can take statin medications due to the same side effect.  My doc has placed me on fenofibrate 145mg tablet....NO side effects!  You might want to ask your doctor about it!  Hope you are feeling well.

Brenda LPN
Hello I am Jackie & I have had several TIAs over the last three years.
I have had ultra light scans on my neck & I have had a Brain Scan.
My Consultant informed me 18months ago that I have had plenty of strokes over a period of a few years without myself even realising it.
Firsly Balance, I stumbled , fell, walked into things, this was put down to a back problem. Secondly  Blurred vision, nothing wrong at eye test, Third  
slurred speech, put down to medication for back problem. Fourth loss of use of right hand & arm, RESULT  Oh you have damaged nerves in your arm. Plenty of test taken  RESULTS NOTHING WRONG.
Fifth   My own Doctor after three years of everything going wrong with me told me.
(  YOU HAVE HAD A STROKE OR STROKES)   RESULTS  I have had loads of Strokes without anybody recognising that I had any. So they the Doctors do not really know a lot about Strokes or the symptoms  of Strokes. The symptoms apart from stutter, wrong words , is drooling , headaches, feeling faint in very warm places, dry mouth, sore throat, choking, sleepy, fatigue, feeling heavy like cement, loud noises. My last Stroke was 18months ago & what does my consultant say, I will get worse as time goes by, NO I will not because I am getting better. But, I will never be the same as I used to be before my Strokes.
Thanks for the help all. Had a non proven TIA last week. Short instance of hand movement loss. Two days in hospital MRI MRA neck sonogram heart Echo all normal. Blood work good except 230 cloresterol so on Lipitor and aspirin now, as I don't drink or smoke and low risk. Effects after seem the worst.  Arm weakness and numb face on opposite side now. Very tired and type wrong words. Went back to ER told it wasn't stroke just lingering effects. Good to know others have the same. I'm sure anxiety isn't helping because they can't find a good cause just have to wait and hope not again. Hopefully will feel better soon the excersize and lose a few pounds. I'm sure the arthritis in my back and the pressure on the nerves areng helping the symptoms?  Good luck all.  Very frustrating though not knowing if a stroke or just my own mind!
I am so relieved to read some of your posts. I was in ICU for 4 days, then a regular room for 2 days. The doctors would come in and say that I had a heart attack that "threw a clot" and caused a "stroke". Then they would come in and say that I didn't have a heart attack. Then they said I didn't have a stroke, that it was possibly a TIA. I was told that since it was a TIA, that my left side weakness wouldn't last. It was constantly a different story!! I am still a little weak on the left side, but I have done well physically.  Now the thing that is bothering me more than anything is the HORRIBLE headaches, the vertigo and the way my eyes play tricks on me. I have short term memory loss, the fact that I can't pay attention to anything makes me feel dumb, etc. I have had to resign from my job because I am a bookkeeper and I absolutely can't do any math! I have the attention span of a gnat. It is so frustrating and very, very humiliating! I was such a positive person and now I am filled with anxiety and fear.
I realize that my scans are clear on my MRI's and I know that my dr is probably thinks that I am just complaining. I feel as if he sometimes thinks I have gone a little crazy or something because I am so EMOTIONAL over EVERYTHING!! I cry and cry and cry!
Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and making me feel at least a little more "normal". I don't understand what is going on...but I at least feel a little less crazy!
I am 52 yrs old and was in good health.  Last weekend beginning Friday evening I could not stay awake.  If I tried walking around I was uncoordinated and had a slight slur with speech.  If I sat down, I would fall asleep within minutes.  Finally on Sunday my mother convinced me to go to Urgent care center and they ran cat scan and blood work. It appears I've had a mild stroke.  I am supposed to get MRI done in a few days and see a Neurologist.  I now feel fine.  No problem with speech or movement.  My family is forcing me to lie around most of the day until we get more info.  I feel like I can do things I normally do (light cleaning, taking my daughter to school, working on my computer etc..)  Has anyone else recovered this quickly?  I am really hoping the Neurologist has some other diagnosis because I haven't experienced any other symptoms (paralysis, headaches etc..)   Thanks for any comments!
hi i myself have had a stroke 30 years ago.then last night i felt great and my wife asked me a question and i found i could not speak and my left arm got weak.doctors told me 30 years ago that i would get mini strokes.
I suffered a TIA last year however I am experiencing residual effects like swelling in my hands and leg and foot on the stroke side. All other symptoms have disappeared while the swelling seems to be worse, Is this normal? I'm not a heart patient. I have very controlled high blood pressure. Not sure what to make of this.
Thank you for this site!  I have had TIAs for years when having migraines but this last one was worse!  Went to the doc today and he said I may have a blocked carotid artery.  They are ordering an MRI for this coming week.  Still have a bruised head from that migraine, where the pain was!  Never had this before!  Has anyone else?  I feel like someone punched me in the head!
I'm not sure if most of you are having TIA's if your MRI's are coming back normal.  I have TIA symptoms every month for the last 2.5 years.  First one was way worse, 3 days in the hospital.  Afterwards, they last from 5 - 10 minutes.  I have three lesions on my brain (seen on all three MRI's).  Had every test possible.  Been to Mayo Clinic (They Assigned a team of doctors to your case).  Result, They don't know.  Possible vasculitis.

I have left side numbness attacks in left arm and leg as if you hit your funny bone.  Lose control of each.  Wait five minutes and I'm fine.  I hiked a very rigorous trail recently (rated 10 of 10 on difficulty) and had two TIA like episodes during the hike.  Point is, TIA symptoms aren't always TIA's.

I'm beginning to believe high intensity exercise of maybe heat exhaustion (I'm 48) caused all of this.   The only self diagnosis I have is sometimes straining, stress, dehydration with heat seems to trigger these episodes (which seem like only left side arm and leg five minute seizures).  Who knows what the future holds?
My husband had a left hemisphere stroke 3 months ago and is suffering with speech difficulties including aphasia. The worst problem is that whenever he speaks loads of words rush into his head and it takes all his energy to just use the ones he needs. Speech therapist has not come across this problem before ... Anyone out there experienced it or know anything about it, he says it is driving him mad!!
IHad depression before my stroke and it is  lot worse since
\I have lost my speech
  Maddie So so sorry about your stroke! You will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers for enough of that! I think that with a lot of speech therapy, you will regain some, most, of all of your speech again. It is a long road back and it's very tough terrain but you are strong, you can do it. You have been through (your brain) a lot and it will take time. You will have a love/hate relationship with your speech coaches but they are there only to help you get back. Dear sweet Maddie, I imagine it is very hard to type too, but if you want to talk I am hear and rooting for you!! Are you back at home? I hope your husband and other family are helping too. A family member that has worked with their loved one could help too. I am sending you positive hope and energy for a full recovery. I hope your doctor has you on meds that will protect against a future stroke too honey. God Bless You Maddie! Darla
Viewing 201-209 comments: