Stroke Community
after effects of a TIA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

after effects of a TIA

A week ago I had a Tia. I was unable to speak and could not move my left arm or leg. This went on for about an hour and 15 mins. After a night in the hospital, and an Mri and other scans. I was released. I was told I should have no side effects. But  now I have bad head aches on my left temple and I get a stabbing pain on my temple and neck, that last that last just several seconds.
    Also my speach has been effected slightly. Often I will be talking and a word will pop in a sentence where it doesnt belong, and I forget just what I want to say.
   Could you tell me how long these symptons last?
     Thank you
        jjjtll
I too am having these same symtoms (symptoms), it has been a month tomorrow since I had my TIA, and I have also had more numbness, and weakness of my right arm since I was released. I too am trying to find out how long this will last, because this VERY seriously affects my job (I am on phone calls all day) The speech comes and goes for me, depending on how long I have been talking for.
I had 4 TIA's in 27 days, the last one was 25th January. I still don't feel well enough to return to work (I'm a school teacher); the extreme fatigue and a feeling that my brain isn't as well "tuned-in" as it used to be are holding back my recovery .... I don't feel that I've made any progress over the last fortnight! Frustrating isn't it?

Julie
Julie how are your symptoms now? It has been six weeks for me. Very slow progress.
I was so glad to read these posts. I was begining to think that I was doing this to myself. I also have a hard time with my speech and thought patterns as well as fatigue, even doing the smallest chores. I had a cluster of tia's about two weeks ago and I get the feeling that when I tell others about the persistent symptoms they think I'm milking this. Thank you for your comments and wish you all a speedy recovery
i had a stroke on 22nd october thank God i am able to walk  etc however i am sooooooooooooo tired and my short term memory is really bad. has anoyne else experienced sensitive hearing.my hearing is like th e bionic woman i hear everthing and it irritates the hell out of me. apart from my tolerance level being non existent i have still manged to keep my friends. i am soooooooooooooo miserable and argue non stop with my boyfriend.like you i talk but very very quickly and forget what i want to say. my speeech slurs when i am tired or get tired of talking.julie i am so sorry to hear that you hvave had so many attacks over such a short period of time no wonder you dont feel like tyou are not progressing.i myself am extremely frustrated ani am stuill very tired my left han still needs some work. ido not go back to wor before you ar fully recovered. how old are you julii f you dont mind me asking and whathave they said about the amount of attacksyou have had/causes etc. i am 36 and my fear is tha t i could have another one.  i hope not.
thxx 4 your comments...
I thought I was just crazy. I just cant seem to get my energy back. My speech is far less then desirable and I cant keep my thoughts together. sometimes I feel I've run a marathon with the smallest of task. the doctors before my PFO closure asked if I was depressed..... well, my life has stopped as I knew, I wish they could understand, YES... I am depressed. It is depressing to loose your abilty to connect your thoughts, to loose your ability to connect with others and to loose your ability to connect with your normal life. I have a hard time making it through the day.
I keep saying I have super sonic hearing omg every noise or baby crying or dog barking or whatever scares me to death and kills my ears. And nice to know other people with TIA's are still having issues, I was told after a TIA all your symptoms would go away that is why with me they didn't think it was a TIA even though everything I experienced was very stroke like.
Oh I also wanted to ask, when you had a MRI or CT scan did it show that you had a TIA or did all your scans come back normal??
Hi all, I had a stroke when I was 21 years old, It was a small stroke and due to my age and stamina only took me 4 months to recover, since then I have been on no medication.

I am now 30 years old and now looking back have begun to realise that the problems I am experiencing could be due to TIA's and side effects of the stroke. I am very "up and down", have (which is the opposite to some) very bad hearing. But the worst of whatever is happening to me is the "jekyll and hyde" one momment great the next angry, aggressive, depressed, lost, suicidal, and find this very difficult to control. This lately has been getting worse. I have very little energy and sleep most of the day. I have no speech problems but a very bad memory and short term attention span. Sometimes I feel totaly lost and do not understand why, I have a very understanding girlfriend (thanks god !) but now she's finding this hard to cope with.

Within the last two years I had what seemed to be two mild (but very quick) strokes, and had to be hospitalised. Do these symptoms sound like TIA'S or side effects of strokes.

If anyone could offer any advice or anything to help I would be most grateful !! Thank You !
hi  i had what hospital say 3 mini strokes within 3 months   im still feeling weak on left side . short term memory loss ; exhausted most of time and noises get too me  ;concentration not good either   . mri test showed multiple white dots  does anyone think this is normal ? i feel i should be ok now.
I had a TIA less then a month ago, I have problems with:: concentration and balance.  I also confuse numbers, insert words and stammer when I talk.  I know what I want to say, it just doesn't come out.  Some days are better then others, bad days I feel like I am a fog others like my old self.  Everything I read states the side effects last only 24 hours.  It is very frustrating and scary.  My doctors are not sure what is going on.  I am relieved to see that I am not loosing my mind, that the side of effects do last or manifest in different forms.    Does anyone know of ways/exercises to reduce these symptoms?
Thanks to all of you for detailing your symptoms.  I had a mild TIA (aren't they all supposed to be mild?) in September '08. I experienced the same sensitivity to sound others have described, and and a low grade, two week headache. I rarely get headaches...

Since then a specialist has prescribed Lipidor--my "bad" cholesterol was high, as was my "good" cholesterol. I also take 81 mg of ASA a day. I've felt fine, mostly, since October, but do have spells of muddling words, losing vocabulary, and confusion. I'm a 58 year old woman and sometimes think these symptoms are also menopausal.  Recently I've been experiencing constant fatigue--very low energy and the sense of no strength in my legs.  I've been quite fit and active--cycling to work, walking a lot, etc.  But now it takes huge effort to walk half a mile.I'm also quite depressed--limited enthusiasm for anything. Sometimes I wonder if I'm having TIAs in my sleep.  How would I know? Or is any of this related to the original "event"?

No solutions, I figure. Just wanted to drop in and add my two cents to others' contributions. Hang in there, everyone

Just dropping in
I had a TIA last June and was exhausted for about a month afterwards to the point that I had to retire to bed as I could hardly lift my hands, let alone think of using my brain to make conversation. It's almost a year now and I believe I have made a full recovery but have lost 30% of my energy levels. I often had ringing in the ears for several months after and odd piercing pin ***** pain in my head which lasted 1-2 seconds. My life is very full-on as I run a business and have 3 small children. I'm 41 and would like to know of signs to look out for so I don't risk pushing myself too hard. All investigations found no reason why I had the first TIA but I had been on a roller coaster 1 wk prior with family! Pls advise?
Hi Karen

I'm a strokee but didn't have any TIA's prior, so my interest is making sure you don't have a stroke.

I think you should get your current symptoms properly checked out as they may well be the signs you are asking about.  A TIA is a warning of a stroke wanting to happen & you don't want to go there.

Also please pull back & rest when you have symptoms or fatigue, it's your body saying "enough".  Brain injuries seem to create fatigue unlike any other fatigue we have know.

HTH

Sue
I had what they thought was a Tia 3/23/09 on right side ct was normal mri/mra showed scaring they think i may have multiple sclerosis alot
of the sympoths are the same. Has anyone been told this.
I had a TIA in 2000, it started with a horrible headache, I thought the world was on top of my head, lost memory for about 24 hrs. Ever since that episode, I keep getting headaches, even in my sleep, I feel pins sometimes on the left sometimes on the right side of my head and sometimes just on the back of my head. I should probably get my head check.
This thread has been so helpful.  I'm still waiting to hear whether what I experienced was a TIA (which I'd never heard of before).  I just was curious to know whether you can still carry on normal life after a TIA.  I play a lot of competitive sport but am worried that my concentration levels will have suffered and I won't now be able to play.  Also does anyone know what other life changes have to be made or am I overreacting?  I am now taking aspirin  - is this sufficient to stop me having another TIA?  So many questions

I can't answer about the residual effects of a TIA as I never had one.  However I can tell you 2 things that you need to know, even if you're not that pleased to hear them.

1.  It depends what caused your TIA to know if asprin is sufficient to prevent another one,  So please get thoroughly investigated  - don't settle until you are satisfied.

2.  TIA's are serious & a warning of a stroke waiting to happen.  Please do all you can to prevent a stroke happening, even if it means changing your life to some extent.  Trust me you do not wan't to have a stroke.

All the best

Sue
i am a 45 yr old female who 10 days ago was told i had a tia. i was hiospitlized a little over 24 hrs and told my symptoms would go away.Well the first day home i felt great however now i want to sleep all of the time,have slurred speech sometimes,i have noticed my eyesight is not as good,sometimes when i want to talk the words will not come out,and so much more .i cry alot and even argue with people and ask god why this happened to me.
anyone out there going thru the same thing?
Tracy

The TIA/stroke community
Yes there is a life after TIA/stroke episodes but you have to keep an eye on yourself.  I have changed everything in my life.  No smoking, no glasses of wine, low salt, low cholesterol.  I am under a doctors care and taking bllod pressure amd cholestrol medication.  Yes you can work and as I am a kitchen designer for a major Fortune 500
company, You can concentrate but it does mean taking breaks, grazing all day instead of easting large meals and getting plenty of sleep. Sometimes my speech slurrs and words get jumbled.  I need to pause and take a breath.  Some days are better then others.  The
headaches are my problem and I am going to go to my daughters herbalist.  He stopped her migranes (migraines) when doctors couldn't give her migrane (migraine) meds because of numbness associated with the migranes (migraines).
I have to keep trucking on, I am only 61, I have a lot of living yet to do.  Keep asking questions, do research and do what your doctor tellsyou.  If you don't like is answers fo to another doctor and get another opiinion.  No one can take care of you but you!
Hi all,

I believe my wife had a TIA about a 10 days ago ( she is, 41, 115lbs, normal BP, no high cholestoral) she complained about having a weird headache on wednesday, thursday she called me from work stating that it was hard for her to write on board ( she is a teacher) and that she was dropping things. She came home and tried to rest she got worse. She could hardly use her right arm.  On Thursday took her to ER..did cat scan--(it was negative)- did blood work, also negative..they sent her  home stating that she should follow up with neurologist in 2 days.  next day she was even worse could not use her right arm at all, and she was responding to me very Slooooowwwly.  They did another cat scan and and MRI, and a doppler test..alll negative, her right arm began to move after  2-3 days.. she has total function in her arms now, but the problem is---she is constantly exhausted!!!!!!!!.  Now my wife does suffer from depression, and I know she is sometimes exhausted ( or non motivated when she is going through her depression)  and this situation has definitely caused her to go into a depression.

At this point in time we are getting mixed messages, at the hospital on doctor told us that they believe her temporary paralysis was caused by a severe migraine, they do not believe it was a TIA.  when the Physical therapist and the visiting nurse came to our home they stated that it was definitely a TIA.

She is scheduled for her first follow up exam with the neurologist this Saturday.

Does anyone have any questions that they know or feel I should be asking the Neurologist when we meet him?  Even if the question are aimed at determining if he is good enough to handle my wife's situation or we should seek someone else.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories!!!!...the sad part is that I was able to get more information here than in the hospitals from the "professionals"  

I recently had a stroke three weeks ago, I'm 42 yr old male and thought I was in OK shape alittle over weight.  I had been really doing alot of work around my house for a good month remodeling my kitchen then putting in 40+ hrs at work prior to my stroke.  I came in the house after trying to close my pool for the winter months. I sat down to watch T.V with my fiancee and I had my hands over my head my left hand dropped in my lap and my whole left side went numb.  I went to the hospital that night given aspirin and then released. I have had a million dollors in procedures and tests it's not my heart, no high blood pressure, no chlosterol problems, I'm very tired and confused most of the time.  I'm a engineer working for a Construction Management Company.  It's taking me time to think things through at work.  The littlest things that should take ten minutes take me an hour some days.  This is very hard for me to accept.  I will never forget the day of my stroke, I felt great all day that day...I mean great!  I even went to my neurologists today and he wants be to take folic acid.  I got off the blood pressure medication lisinipril and chlosterol medication simivastatin and I'm still tired.  It's only been a week off all the medicines, at this point my neourologists is a joke.. he couldn't tell me nothing.  Maybe I just burned my self out.  I had symptoms for the last year blurred vision, but within the last six months my feet have been swollen when I wake up,  I had a really bad leg cramp while walking in the grocery store two weeks prior to my stroke.  I had to hold onto the carriage to get to the car,  My balance at work was off leaning while wwalking , so I went to the doctor and got my ears cleaned, thinking ear wax buildup after this a week later my balance was still off.  Then the headaches and leg cramps.  Now that I look back all these systoms were there and I didn't realize it until now.  I even had my sugar levels checked within the last six months prior to my stroke came back normal I just keep pushing myself trying to stay positive, we have too..
Hi Karen we have very similar stories. I'm 42 yrs old (3) kids and had been on a roller coaster at my house just before my stroke.  My stroke happened on September 18, 2009 and I have no answers from doctors and tons of tests that all have come back negative.  I process alot of paperwork at work which has been very difficult and frustrating at times,  I had a neurologist appt today and primary tomorrow. I ask myself why do I bother going.  It's like I almost which they did find something wrong with my heart so, I know what's wrong with me. I have started to conduct my own research every night and I'm gonna find out what happened to me.  I have too...  Keep the faith..
Hi folks,

My husband (46) has had 3 TIA's last Thursday/Friday, he was discharged last night (Tuesday).  He is commenting that his head still feels sore, before he had his first TIA he had an headache for 2 weeks but we put this down to potential swine flu as he had very bad flu like symptoms.

He also has high blood pressure and he had stopped taking his tablets for a couple of weeks prior.  He wont be doing that again!  he is now on Dipyidamol, Aspirin and Simvastatin (as well as his high blood pressure tablets).

Is it normal to still have a Sore head after or does this mean he might be about to have another.  It feels like living on eggshells at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to read this x
I had a stroke on Sept 18, 2009 and continue to have problems with speech and my left hand tingles alittle,  I was on Simvastatin and Lisinipril for what they believed was a heart condition, but after numerous test they ruled out that my heart is very strong.  My doctor took me off Lisinipril about three weeks ago because I was a walking sombee and believe this or not when I was having a stroke our neighbors a nurse came over to my house and took my blood pressure as I was expericing my stroke it was normal.  I stopped taking the lisinipril and recently I just stopped taking the Simavastin the last three days and feel alittle better already but, I'm still alittle tired.  My Neourologist yesterday wants me to take Plavix 75 mg just because, I take 325 Mg bayer daily already.  I read the side effects of Plavix scary and he also wants me to take folic acid.  I am only taking the aspirin daily but, I didn't have high blood pressure or cholesterol. I advise him to do what the doctor asks.  I have had a heart specialist, neourologist and primary doctor no one knows anything.  I went to my primary today and tomorrow more blood work in the morning.  This really ***** I'm only 42 yrs old,  I'm tired all the time.
Has anyone experienced swollen legs prior to having a stroke?  I just laid down watching alittle of CMA country awards with my head alittle elevated on the pillow in my bed and my right leg in the calve area is swollen when I got up.
Tracey,
I read your post.  I  remember driving in my car the second week after my stroke and not knowing or feeling myself screaming at a red light why me.  I don't why or how this happened.  I write on this web page because no one around me understands what I'm going through emotionally or physically is hard.  Hang in there.
I did not know I was having TIA's , but I had several events which worried me.A difficult time trying to speak being only to say the most basic words and mis prononuce what I tried to say.A strange one was the eyesight in my left eye changed to a pixilation and the only way I could describe it was like the monster in Predator when it was in the trees.
In October 2008 I had a stroke which damaged the left side and I was then checked for  a heart scan, this showed a hole in the heart .I had a operation for that in November to solve this.So far so good but I set the alarms off in the supermarket!
I still have problems which only those who have suffered will understand but life goes, on our elected officials still **** thing ups , our football teams let us down and beer increases in price .Enjoy your life dont think about yesterday look forward to tomorrow .
Smile thought your heart is breaking!
I found these comments very interesting. I had a stroke a number of years ago. I through a small clot. I was in my mid 40s. Though all the physical sighns are gon I have been left with some what I call head problems. . See my new post under new questions and would love to hear from anyone who would like to comment. I wish any one out there that has problems after the physical part goes back to normal in seeking help. But if you Kaiser I feel sory for you and try some other medical hospital.
I had my first stroke when I was 30.  This was 18 yrs. ago and now here I am again with a second stroke that I'm not sure when happened.  I have been having TIA's the past couple of months and am dealing with many physical symptoms from them.  When I found this site, I didn't realize how many things were related to the strokes.  I am also having chest pains, burning sensations in left side of chest and my arm goes numb.  I have tingling in my hand.  I have trouble with sentences and finding words.  I have trouble with recalling certain things and I have had trouble with loud noises.  Drs. don't have a clue and this seems to be a pattern from what I have read from different comments on this site.  It's good to know that we have common symptoms and are not alone.
I also suffered from seizures after my first stroke.  Today I still have tingling, tightening, snapping, crawling sensations in my head.  Dr. can't answer for sure if these are still seizures or is this just one of those many left over reminders that the brain is damaged.? Is there anyone that has this problem?,
Dear TLR.
You are 100% correct. Drs dont have any clue what is going on when you have these type of symptoms. It sounds like at least you have found a Dr. to listion to you. I am not that lucky. I understand when you talk about the noise. I also have trouble. And the memory thing. I am still looking for ansewers my self.
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this. Is seems like a lot of are in the same boat and are left for us to fend for our selfs.
thank you!!!  i can't tell you how much this posting has meant.  my partner, 36, had what was diagnosed at the hospital as a TIA on thanksgiving night.  since she's been exhausted, weak on her left side, and frustrated with the lack of answers.

she had an MRI yesterday - her CT, EKG, and blood panels were all normal.  leading up to the TIA she was having general TIA symptoms.  she was exhausted, some tingling in hands/feet, bloating and water retention.  i'm wondering now if she was having TIA clusters.  sounds about right.

now she's recovering - back at work but frustrated at the continued tiredness and weakness.  i can't say how much it helps to hear that other people have been experiencing this too!!!

@ tammie12 - yeah they have talked to us about MS too - but we're waiting to see back on the MRI.  the symptoms are so similar it's hard to tell and i've heard that TIAs can sometimes lead to scarring too.
ty for the note about the sleeping alot .my husband is 43 his first stroke was when  he was 30 but it didnt harm him as much as this one did. he started having problems when he turned 30 he had 2 stents put in his brain to help the blood flow and then it was good for about 2 years then all heck broke he started having tia's and then the first stroke he lost his speach but got it back to were i could understand him then the mini strokes started to happen and the doctors couldnt doanything else for him because he was on everything they could put him on  thenon april 28th our dog woke me up by barking at me and i found my husband in the bathroom on the floor he was having a shower and got dizzy then fell i callled 911 theycame took him to the hospital and told me he broke his collar bone from the fall and said he can go home i thennoticed the brusing and asked them to do a inr to see what his level was atand noticed he was drulling and couldnt stand up and the doctor came back and said his inr was 16. somthing and said we will give him some vitiam k and he can go home after itold them no this is not right he is not right they said he has been discharge and they can not treat him anymore so we went home but before ileft i told them if my husband dies or has a stroke they r going to hear about it  well guess what i woke up the nextmorning and he was not responing to me and his whole right side was not responding so i called 911 and told them to take him to the hospital he was discharge from so they did and the doctor that discharge him was still there well they had to call the police on me because i was flipping out and the police showed up and told me to relax and so i did then told them the story on what happened and they told me to file a report and we still r fighting it but it not looking good for the doctor so. i told the judge one day ihave my husband the nextday i have a 5 year old that has to learn everything alll over again he is doing better but cant walk on his own and i still have to feed him and he cant talk right and sleeps alot but sorry for writing so muchireally dont get to tell anyone and i have no place to
again ty for your advice :) hope you r all doing better (i hadto quitmyjobandlookafter him anditsniceto know if the r more people out there like me maybe we can e-mail each other just so us caregivers have someone else to talk to my e-mail is jellybean_1968***@**** if anyone want to talk
I recently ( two weeks ago) had what is suspected to have been a TIA, or bizarre migraine, characterised by sudden weakness and numbness down left side mainly resolved after an hour or so. no facial drooping was noted by anyone around me,and I didn't lose my speech. Am awaiting MRI and taking statins and aspirin alongside already precribed anti-hypertensives. i am relieved to read others have some residual symptoms i.e. decreased sensation on the affected side, as I was becoming convinced I was creating these in my mind so to speak, which is a worrying thing for a psychiatric nurse to think.

It's good to find a forum to air what I'm sure will become intense feelings if the diagnosis is confirmed.

TIA Nov 15th 2009. Like most of you or your significant others I too had a TIA but mine included a Hemorrhagic stroke w/it. I am the typical looking stroke victim or heart attack waiting to happen. I am significantly over weight, but the doctors to a one keep telling me I am too young too good a shape (? see above) 41 to have a stroke. My wife is tired of hearing it from every single doctor I have seen.
I had well controlled high blood pressure 110/60 and cholesterol with Lisinipril/Hydrochlorothiazide duo pill, amlodipine and simvastatin for the cholesterol prior to the "event".
I had my stroke in Costa RIca while on an excursion from a cruise ship. I ended up in a Hospital in Oaxaca, Mexico where I was lucky enough to had a Neurosurgeon that spoke english and was educatedat UCLA amongst other places. I was diagnosed with a TIA and Hemorrhagic stroke. I was there for 4 days and thenj was discharged to go home. Once home I saw my PCP who had me go see a Neurologist. I did not make that appointment as I was Hospitalized 2 days later here in the states.

What they found was that I had more bleeding (note this was on the right side of my brain.
I should tell you I experienced no symptoms immediately at the time of my "event" that I was aware of. My wife who works at and with mental health professionals in here research capacity saw the left side of my mouth droup(sp) and I fell. I did not feel like I had anything happening only that I fell and I could not squeeze her hand with my left hand. I was walking on uneven ground in sandals so I chalked up the fall to that. However, it took 10 minutes to get back up under my own power, and a failed attempt to get up with help.
Once back on board the ship I had a massive headache at my rt temple and was nausiated and vomitted several times. From there I ended up in the hospital in Mexico 2 days later.
But back to my symptoms. Headache and nausea. I had no lingering effects other than those as my speech is not now nor has ever been slurred (yet) and I am lucky at this point to not have and weakness in any extremity. What I do have is a lingering headache (rather mild in scope (I describe as a stress headache to my neurologist)) and as a lot of you have described a feeling that I am not right and as at least one of you pointed out that it takes a lot longer to work through problems than it did. Depression? Yes, but from what I read that is "normal" given that I feel the way I do and cannot think as I thouht before by my admission. I can't escape the feeling that something is not right in my head. Drs tell me up to a year before my brain is fully healed. I too feel exhausted and slept alot the first week I was home but have forced myself to get up early and move or read or do household chores (my wife loves clean laundry ;) and dinner when she gets home) as that is all the MDs will let me do for now as I can not even go for a brisk walk only light activity.

I hope what I experienced will help, but what the DRs feel caused my TIA/stroke was a clot formed in my heart. Now I read someone mention a "hole in the heart". That I what I have. Mine is a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale). This is a hole between both atriums that forms when we all are in our mothers to allow oxygenated blood to flow from/to our brains and eveywhere else because we cannot breathe air before we are born. When we are born the pressure on the left atrium being higher usually closes the flap there in the first years of life. Mine did not and they suspect that a clot formed there in that flap and made it's way over and then up into my brain (TIA) which then led to the minor "leak" (hemorrhage). Most of the true diagnosis of the PFO came on my second hospitalization here in the states. An EKG Nasty Ultra sound procedure where I had an esophagial(SP, again forgive me) tube inserted for purposes of Confirming the PFO which was suspected on the regular EKG. Then I had MRI of the head and neck as well as Ultra-sound of the legs to rule out DVT or other clot formation in my lower extremites.

A note on PFO's as it appears research I have read also shows a relation to Migraines. I had this prior to my event.

The doctors took me off the Lysinipril combo pill, the amlodipine and put me on Lysinipril only as well as simvastatin and now three weeks later they have me on 81mg asprin. Bleeding is what casued the headache per MDs but it also caused my brain to move 2mm to the left. According to my neurologist I am progressing and I can see this compared to when I returned home and was hospitalized again and they told me it had bled again when they compared the MRI from Mexico to the one they di here on Hospitialization.

They are talking about a procedure where they go in through a cathater in my leg and close the PFO as it could clot and again cause TIA/stroke. The headache was the worst pain I have ever experience (appology here ladies I have nver given birth) but I have torn my achilles and ripped up both knees and had surgery on all 10 years ago most recent. I want nothing to do with that pain again as it was the worst I have ever felt. I know people keep telling me to get healthy but it was not being unhealthy in my case that got me. It was a freak event. It could have happened earlier in my life or later just choose that time.
I certainly am going to get more exercise and try to eat better, but the results of the MRI and Ultra-sounds found no narrowing or hardening of my arteries at all hence they did not put me on any other medication. I had been on the noted medications for 7 years prior to this.

I noted some of you talking about swelling in your ankles/calf, they characterized that in me as edema. I had this for a while before the event. Some of this was the Hydrochlorathiazide as referenced by an allergic reaction to same. I would get the edema and a splotchy "rash in sunlight on my legs only but the edema was not just when I was in sunlight but other times as well usually later in the day or evening after work or just the day. They did not take me off this because my BP was "well controlled" with it and they did nto want to mess with the good that did.

If you ask me and you aren't but I think that drug does more harm that good.

I am also glad this board exists as I feel alone in my mind even though everyone is "worried" about me and expresses it. I am irritable too along with the rest of you.

I wish you all well, I fell pretty lucky seeing what some of you are going through and if I can help you through my experiences by pointing you in another direction as you have helped my by your thoughts and experiences then I will be glad to comment if needed.

My best,
TW68
Wow, this is an awesome board.   My primary care physician menitoned that I should be prepared to hear multiple sclerosis. I am having an MRI next Monday and am so anxious waiting.
So glad to find this forum, I am a 42 year old female and had 4 Tia in 24 hours and another 1.5 weeks later just wanted to know if anyone else get headaches after they had a Tia which come and go, mine only seem to come back when I do to much.
I am 53 years of age and had a stroke on 2-15-2010.  I am back at work and am working half days.  I stay tired and am currently taking blood thinners and simastatin.  I am having some head problems.  Feels like may head is clogged up.  I don't know if this is sinuses or what , but thoughts get jumbled sometime and my mind seems to take mini breaks in the middle of sentences.  I have never had high blood pressure and cholesterol was 213.  slightly overweight.  My doctor said I had a migrain stroke due to stress. I was so surprised to hear of so many young people having strokes. I still beleive a lot comes from the hormones they give animals and pesticides.  My problem is that most people want you to be able to function as if nothing has happen just because they do not see any visible signs
My father had an hour of memory loss which was considered a TIA. He had a history or controlled high blood pressure with medication.  He recovered from symptoms without a hospitalization and continued with exercises (walking 3 miles per day), proper diet, and blood pressure medication.  This was 5 years ago and noticed that his memory was slowly beginning to change in that he couldn't find the word needed to finish his sentence.  He then began to have a very slow regression in symptoms first being unable to walk very far due to muscle weakness as he could only explian it.  This went on for 4 years without explaination.  He was dignosed with Parkinsons, but did not have all of the symptoms.  The doctor went ahead and placed him on Parkinson's medications which only made his symptoms spiral out of control as well as adding additional symptoms like shaking, needing assistance to stand, but able to walk very slowly using a cane.  This went on for about 3-4 months until 5 months ago he became slow to respond and vomiting, so was hospitalized, underwent multiple testing and diagnosed with pneumonia as well as atrial fib.  When he finally went to sleep the second night he could barely get to the bed side commode.  Now he is unable to sit, stand, or walk without human assistance.  We got him off the medication for Parkinson's which helped to rid of the symptoms but still unable to be independent.  He again went to the hospital with symptoms of pneumonia which also went along with atrial fib.  Now we were told the diagnostic tests done on his head, heart, and carotids were normal.....no stroke or mini strokes but he kept leaning to right side.  This seeemed to somewhat improved with home PT. 2 months later he was hospitalized with again pneumonia and atrial fib so underwent several diagnostic testing.  Found out he is silenting aspirating causing pneumonia which causes the atrial fib.  Still do not understand why before the first hospitalization he could walk with cane and now only with human assistance.  It is obvious that this is due to brain function.  He is now on medication for the brain (namenda) which has helped his memory but focusing, staying on task, and paying attention is a problem.  He continues to have mood swings (being irritated one minute then crying the next).  He is 75 years of age but at 70 he was bicycling and walking daily.  We are hoping that the next medication that will be added in combination will continue to help with his mind in order to provide him with some independence even if it requires a walker or cane.  He is not a smoker, drinker, exercises, and takes good care of himself and is now on an aspirin....no blood thinner since he is at risk for falls and really don't know why he is having TIAs.  He is having regular check ups with doctor every month, having home PT, and just finished speech therapy to help with aspiration.

Just curious if this sounds familiar.  Please, let me know as we are running out of options.  OH.....I must add that he had several more TIAs in 2 months period but we don't know when these happened.

I wish you all the best, my prayers go out to all of you.

Signed
Desperately seeking answers.
Are TIA's hereditary?  Could they have anything to do with TMJ (tempero mandibular joint disease)  I had a fat graft surgery 9 months ago in Florida and I am from Ohio and moving here came with MAJOR STRESS AND BAD LUCKI can't wal right-I'd fail a roadside drunk driving test plus I afraid to drive.  My vision goes blurry or plays tricks on me like blending or seperating things,  I fall asleep sitting up @ times but jerk awake sometimes feeling Apnea.  My arms and hands(Left worse) are very shaky-can barely hold things.  My biological father had TIA's several years ago.  I guess I'm difficult to deal with and I'm full of anxiety and fear!!
My grandmother had stroke and now shes talking crazy thins and cant recognize people.Im afraid if its a long term effect of stroke or  Is this just tempory side effect ?
I had a small lacunar stroke months ago with strong vertigo and right side weakness as primary symptoms. I recovered from that, am working full time and driving, but have chronic pressure in the back of my head. Like a "dead zone". It doesn't matter if I am busy or resting.. it just feels like circulation was cut off and caused atrophy.When I am stressed or busy I feel waves of dizziness and feeling of tipping backwards in the same back area. It makes it hard to get up everyday and function well. Do others with TIAs or small strokes have symptoms like this? I am 55 and afraid this feels permanent. Thanks for any input.

Hey All, I am a 29 yrold female and on September 11th, 2010
I had what they thought was a Tia Stroke. Had all the facial drooping, hand curling and even my right foot was starting to curl. the paramidics got to my mothers where she had taken my Blood pressure and it was 176/96 then the Emt's took it and it had gone up to 176/111.. I was rushed to the hospitol. after they finally got a pic line they were able to do the CT. I was so frustrated I am a single mother and have an 8 yr old son. so to not be able to talk when they were asking me questions, Was like I was in a nightmare. When they would ask me questions, I would hear the words in my head, and couldnt say them.. I got even more frustrated. I  felt like I was screaming and no one could hear me.. I kept thinking Im only 29, My son needs me.
anyway I was transferd to another hospitol for 2 days. but the Dr's told me my Ct scan was normal. they did not tell me to even follow up with any Dr's. So I decided to do my own research, and other then the Super Narley headaches I get, the rest of the symptoms have gone away.. But heres the kicker, 10 days after I had this, My maternal Grandmother was in the hosptiol with a Blod clot . then 2 1/2 weeks later My Mother was hospitolized for the same thing same leg same artery. Her Dr's were told about what happend to me and They said I should be taken an asprin a day, and that I should be careful becuase the tia strokes usually happen more then just once..
So here it is a little over 30 days from when it happend and yesterday I started feeling just off, not sick so much but I just felt not right(cant explain it)
I started expeierinceing pains in my right arm, and my head felt foggy. Also My right side of my lip felt tingly like as if I drank hot coffee, it didnt go away. slept for about 13 hour straight. and am now still feeling off. I have an apointment with my Doctor tommorow, he wants to discuss the records that he got from the hospitol. I am nervous, and am trying not to get my self worked up. But this is such a scary thing to have gone through. My heart goes out to ya'all. I am a mommy and dont handle loosing control over my body .. if anyone has any advice or comments I would greatly appreciate it. I am so done with the Doctors who wont give me a straight answer. I have learnd more from this forum about this then I did with all 8 doctors who treated me..
Smiles
i had a stroke april 09 and again in october 09 then a heart attack in december 09 and a bypass in june of 2010 will i ever get my old life back everything is going wrong for me
hello! I am a 41 y/o female who just came home from the hospital with a TIA. I was leaving movies and fell over twice, husband thought I got up to fast. I told him it was as if my feet weren't listening to my head. Didn't know that feet needed to be told to walk. I joked to him that it was just a "gravity storm." Needed help to car, was given seat belt to plug in and stared at it KNOWING I should know what to do with this common object yet had a black hole going on. They got me home where then I began having stuttering and difficultly with speech. I began to just be quiet as I was sounding very stupid. When symptoms were so bad I decided to go in to the hospital. Was admitted and given diagnosis of TIA. All test results were good as the neuro said that they would be. It has now been 3 days and still stuttering and having difficult time finding words. I have a hard time typing and writing. Almost dyslexic like. I keep feeling a serious pain in my right arm. Burning searing ice pick type of pain. Numbness in right arm, wish it was strong enough so I wouldn't feel the pain here. I am taking baby asprin and taking it easy. I am glad to hear from others that my symptoms are typical of this situation. My prayers go out to everyone and really pray that this wake-up call to all is heard about how important our bodies are. If you were only given one car to drive the rest of your life wouldn't you take perfect care of it? I plan to take care of my "beater" for everyday here forth! God speed to recovery all!

Miss
Hello. Was so glad to find this forum. I'm recovering from a stroke and am just relieved to know these symptoms are all normal. Esp. the extreme exhaustion and sleeping. No one seems to understand that! I truly hope they never have to. The stroke was considered fairly mild but tell that to your brain when you're seaching for a word or when it's just taken you 15 minutes to type the above few words. I have 3 types of rehab to go through but no one else would know anything was wrong with me. As I look back, I realize I'd had very little tias for about a year and thought it was a sinus issue. I'm extremely lucky but I only feel that way about 1/4 of the day, the rest of the time I go back and forth between irrational anger and just being sad. I think once I can drive again things will improve. The stroke took about a pie wedge slice of vision but it's already improved a good bit.
Thanks for listening.
1 week ago today I started feeling like there were needles sticking into my scalp...then my head and neck felt like they were on fire....my face felt like it was sunburned really bad...face was very red and my eyes looked like they were ready to start bleeding....I went to the hospital and was there for 3 days...had CAT Scan, MRI, ultrasound of carotid arteries, echo on heart...many blood tests....found nothing....Doctors think it was a TIA...already on blood thinners from heart stents...since coming home I still feel slight tingling in my scalp if I'm on my feet very long...and face feels like I have a mild case of wind burn....anyone else have any of these symptoms....
I hope you're feeling better. I didn't have any of those symptoms except the sensation of needles. I would have it off and on and it would leave but it would seem to pick different places so it wasn't just my head like you're describing. Obviously, you don't want a stroke so I sure hope they had you see a neurologist. I'm glad you posted b/c I actually forgot to tell the drs. about the tingling and needles except in the fingertips. Good luck.
I too sufferd a what the doctor believed to be TIA on november 26th. Cant see a nuroligist until end of this month but these past 2 months have been H*ll I cant focus on anything, forget half of what i am talking about, have headaches and seems to lose total function or partcial function of my right arm and right leg at a moments notice. Tinglly feeling in my right hand and fingers almost constantly, feels like someone is stabbing me with a knife in my neck, collar bone and shoulder on my right side from time to time. PLEASE TELL ME THIS GETS BETTER. O yeah forgot about the constant mood swings getting pissed at the world for no reason.
I was 34 when I had my first TIA. My problems have contined for the last 2 years. The docs couldn't figure out why I had some speech and significant memory issues, but I also had terrible back and leg spasms, my arms felt like they were burning, then felt ice cold. The longest I could stand was 5 minutes, then I had to lay down cuz my back spasms would make me very dizzy and nauseous. Walking was difficult because my legs and feet would go numb, so I wouldn't feel when I had cut my toes or feet.I had significantly decreased sensation on the right side All the tests I took for nerve damage, CAT, MRI, etc were all fine.  It got so bad that I couldn't work or drive for some time.
I had a TIA in December 2005. I had no warning.  I felt kind of dizzy (vertigo) I have had that before and immediately laid on the floor.  I did have numbness on one side. I have had no recurrance but after hospital stay after the stroke I found out the blood in my heart pooled because my heart was not pumping the blood right and sent clot to brain. I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and A-fib. So if you don't have heart problems I guess your Strokes were caused by something else. Clot did not show up on CT.  I can't do MRI's because of my defibrillator.  I did not have headaches or noise problems.  I did feel like I was going crazy.  Words slurred and thought didn't come out the way I thought I said it and that happened for several months.  I still have incidents even last week when I thought I ordered Ranch dressing and they brought me Thousand Island dressing and everyone at the table said I ordered Thousand Island.  I couldn't believe it because my last thought was Ranch. That is the second time for that same thought process.  I have short term memory problems and I think stress makes it worse.  I can think of something but can't think of the word but if I concentrate long enough and see in my mind the person or thing then I can then say it. My cholestrol was 240 at the time so I am on a Statin for my heart and cholestrol, blood thinner, and heart med.
In December 2010 I had what I thought symptoms of a stroke.  My vision was distorted, light headed and a tingling on my left side.  My husband drove me directly to the ER where every test under the sun was performed (CT, CTA, MRI, MRA).  Said it might have been a TIA or brain seisure. All tests were negative, but was admitted for further review.  While there an ECO cardiagram showed a growth on my mitral valve, possibly due to an infected tooth I had a few months prior to.  Docs thought that a piece of this growth had come off and gone up through my carotid artery causing the symptoms.  I opted to have the growth removed from my mitral valve and spent 3 days recovery from the surgery.

Here after four months of recooperation, I am still having lightheadiness, and waves of dizziness which come and go.  Seems I am constantly in the fog. Some days better than others.  Had second set of tests, but all negative.  Doctors don't seem concerned.  

Wondering if these events are b/c of my surgery or after affects of the TIA. I keep pushing to get going and trying to hit the gym 6 days a week. I hear that sometimes it takes up to a year to recover.  YIKES.
I also suffer from a stoke. It occured in 1999. I was only 19. I am now 31. I have experience everything you mentioned, and agree with all of you on the "up and downs of this". Sometimes I'm so lost and depressed its hard to take in. I don't know how to deal with it. My proceesing of things in my head are slow, very hard time hearing. I have been on medication for 12 yrs now(jantoven).. recently doctor took me off of it. Hopefully my husband and I can have a baby. They said the chance for another stroke is slim. I'm scared and really happy because taking those pills over, no more restrictios of what I can eat/ or cold medicines/ no more blood draw or prescriptions.  But at the same time I feel lost because this is obviously goin to have everlasting effects on me
I also suffer from a stoke. It occured in 1999. I was only 19. I am now 31. I have experience everything you mentioned, and agree with all of you on the "up and downs of this". Sometimes I'm so lost and depressed its hard to take in. I don't know how to deal with it. My proceesing of things in my head are slow, very hard time hearing. I have been on medication for 12 yrs now(jantoven).. recently doctor took me off of it. Hopefully my husband and I can have a baby. They said the chance for another stroke is slim. I'm scared and really happy because taking those pills over, no more restrictios of what I can eat/ or cold medicines/ no more blood draw or prescriptions.  But at the same time I feel lost because this is obviously goin to have everlasting effects on me ~julie
I also experienece short term memory problems, very hard to get thru a day
I had a TIA last week and since it happened I am deeply depressed, I have a lot of panic attack, I am so scared it will happen again..
It started with a terrible headache, then my heart started to beat so fast, I wasn't able to speak, I spoke but It just didn't make any sense.and I had numbness in my right leg and arm and also to my face, mouth even my tongue, Somebody in the street call 911 for me and they took me to the ER. My CT was clear.
I am 27 I was planning on getting pregnant really soon and now I am so scared. I am scared of everything and the thing that scares me the most is to be alone. The TIA happened when I was by myself.

The sad thing is that I become aggressive, really mean with my Boyfriend with my parents (who live in France - I live in California)
The depression is killing me. I stopped living my life. I just stay home , cry and cry again, scared that another one will happen... Even If I try to go out and do something my mind is somewhere else... TIA is all I can think about now. It makes me crazy.

I am usually a really energetic person, active, funny, never in bad mood.. who just love life!!! But I really get traumatized with the TIA and it make me change completely..

Help me please...

Aurelie

I also had a TIA.  Went to the ER by ambulance.  Had a MRI, MRA, CT and a CTA.  It was found that I had a carotid artery dissection that caused a blood clot that is why I had a TIA.  I'm 34 years old and the neurologist said that carotid artery dissection is the number one cause of TIA's and Strokes in younger people.  There are a lot of Dr.s that do not even know about carotid artery dissections.  I encourage all of you to do your home work.  I'm currently still taking coumadin a blood thinner and will have a follow up CTA to see if it has healed.  I too worry that this is going to happen again.  I still have a little weakness on my right side.  I feel as if I'm a ticking time bomb for this to happen again.  I do not have a history of this in my family.  But with the peace I get from talking with God I am getting through this.  It seems like a lot of you are very young and I encourage you to research carotid artery dissection.  God Bless
tia storke about age 51 how long it will last in active and exercise poeple. everyday have some symtomp. my left arm and hand will last for ever?
my dad just recently had a TIA & was released from the hospital today. he has been experiencing some of the side effects you all have listed above but he also has been "seeing" things. not like ghosts but 2 times today while he was still in the hospital & the once when we got him home he started "playing" with a string/wire. he was so intently playing with this wire/string & swore it was there even though we told him we could see nothing. his RN said that this was normal when i asked her about it & said that if he focuses on it for more than 10 minutes that we would need to get immediate help but it should resolve in 5-10 minutes. is there anyone else that has experienced this type of side effect. i am trying to figure out if it is a side effect from his TIA or the drugs he is on. any help is greatly appreciated.
A month ago I went to the hospital with stroke symptoms. After several tests I was told that I had experienced a TIA and that I had had two or three others within the previous day or two.

I have days or periods of time when I feel almost normal but then I have times when I am light headed and dizzy. I get anxious and have no energy at all. Because I don't have any of the external symptoms the doctors seem to think there is nothing going on or it will all be better soon. I was getting very upset because of my symptoms and the doctors ignoring them but reading all of your posts helps a great deal.

I see that many of you have periods of low energy and fatigue. I want to back to work but when I do I have to leave after a short while because I get so tired and axious. I am a college professor and am not sure I will be able to stand and lecture when the semester starts. When I get fatigued I also get confused.

Thanks for your comments and good luck to all.

I have been reading all the descriptions and I am glad to see I am not going crazy.

I run many road races and 3 weeks ago pushed myself very hard on a hot day and many people thought I was having a heart attack or a stroke at the end of the race.

Since then I have had a pain in the left side of my head at my temple and have felt listless and tired like everyone else.   However, I am continuing to exercise as normal and feel good while I am doing this.

I went to see a dr. and explained myself.   He seemed to think that it was simply from the overexertion but I know there is something wrong.  I could go to sleep right now.

My balance is sometimes off and I feel like my left eye is not in sync with the rest of my body.  

That is all.  I just hope this blah feeling goes away.   Hope you feel better.

hi, i had a tia 3 weeks ago and ive noticed im a lot more tired now than i where before, i still havent got full grip in my right hand, the memory is slowly coming back, but im also getting a lot of headaches and ive never really sufferd much with headaches, and i keep feeling sickly, really strange how it changes your whole body in a day or two, thanks sylvia
I was so sorry to hear your story.  I had a full carotid artery dissection over 3 years ago--far worse than yours.  

I sympathized with you in particular because I have my own company doing asbestos and lead training to professional and trades staff.  I understand your symptoms of getting tired so easily and I still have difficulty with my words when I get tired and even when I'm not tired.  I had aphasia at the time of my stroke and had speech therapy for months afterwards.  And I have far more disability than you do in a lot of ways, but I went back to teaching 4 months later.  So you may just need more time.  And you do keep getting better with time.

I would really like to know if you were able to teach again and how you are.

Good luck to you.

I just found this forum and wanted to know if you have a follow up on your diagnosis. I just had a TIA a week ago and was also told that I needed to me checked for MS because the MRI found a swelling in my brain. I do hope that you are well and thank you and everyone for posting here. I did not have a clue as to what to expect and this sharing has really helped me. I wish you all well and thank you again.

Marie
Has anyone who has had a stroke ever been tested for Hughes Syndrome.
I am a 45 year old female with a history of a TIA when I was 23 and under severe stress. I have been extremely healthy until a month ago when I suffered another suspected TIA. My MRI and MRA of the brain and vessels and echocardiogram are all normal with the exception of the right vertebral artery showing some minor blockage. My cholesterol and BP are well within normal limits and I am very active (playing roller derby and working out).

Since the first TIA I have been moody, experiencing headaches, confused, extremely tired and having balance and motor-control (dropping things) problems.My neurologist is now thinking after the 2nd episode last night that it may just be some out-of-the-ordinary migraines. My symptoms include left eye vision loss without any lights or dots, a mild headache prior to the event and a more sever headache post event that lasts for about half an hour. I am nauseated and feel like there is a balloon in my head ready to pop (not sure how else to describe it). After each event I have been so exhausted I can't even walk accross the room without sitting down.

I'm wondering if there is a need to do any further testing or medication other than resting and a full dose aspirin every day. This is so frustrating! My neurologist says that TIAs don't usually occur this frequently or so close together (I have had two within 3/5 weeks). Anyone else experience sypmtoms like this? Or have a doctor who is more aggressive?
So glad i found this forum! I had a TIA last thursday and I'm 20. i'm not overweight (i'm actually underweight) but I have lupus so i'm not the epitome of health and they think that's what caused it. I had really bad slurred speech and numbness in my arms. i work in a doctor's office so one of the nurses did a neuro exam and i had major weakness on my left side in my hand arm and leg. I went to the ER and they did a CT and MRI which came back negative but the neurologist there confirmed left side weakness and wanted to see me in a weak. I've still been having splitting headaches and balance, speech, and concentration problems. basically im just slow and dim-witted hahaha. they want to send me for an MRA but i don't really know what they expect to find. any suggestions? it's been a week and i still have lasting weakness and loss of sensation on my left side.
my mom has had several TIA's and I thought it was the vegus nerve being stimulated but after a short stay in the hospital every test came back negative and have to think back at previous what I thought were just off balance falls could have been TIA's but bad one this time and she is very very tired she's 75
I am having the same issues with my mother that had 2 small TIA's after having stents put in her neck. This was over a month ago and it seems she is not getting any better. She is dizzy and has no energy. I have read that exercise is good but she can't even walk for 5 minutes. I have read most of the posts here and now I we are nor alone. Has anyone found anything to help. That seems to be something I have not read yet on here. I wish you all well and hope you all soon get to feeling better very soon.
Yesterday I had troubles getting out of bed after about30 min I finally got up I went downstairs went to kitchen started to feel wierd so I went to the lounge within 2 min of me sitting my body went limp right sidemy speech went slurred and I was very confusedly daughtercalled an ambulance as soon as she sore me start to dribble and lean to the side it lasted around 8 min then I starte to speak better wasstill very weak and sore all over but managed to shower while paramametcs waited before this though I only remember seeing 2 paramedics and asked them why dis another paramedic come they saidhe was here the whole time I'm still today feeling heavy tired and my neck and back feel as though there carrying weights
The dr at concord said no it can't of been a Tia or stroke your to young what a joke she sent me for no ct only blood tests and sent me home after 5 hours with no answers except it sounds like a complicated migrain!! I didn't even have headache before it wierd I dontknow anyway I went to my gp today and he said I don't seem myself and he said myspeech is mildly slurred and I'm a bit slow physically so he sent me for the ct which came back normal except a little swelling in left synus.. He ha also given me a refresh to see a ???? Gone blank a brain specialist I call him for now as  I can't think of the
name Anyway could someone please tell me what u think thankyou kindest regards Tracey
How young are you?  Strokes can happen at fairly young ages.  And you can't be that young if you have a daughter.  

Someone should answer the question about whether TIAs will show up on a CT scan afterwards.

Because it certainly sounds like you had a stroke.  Those are really severe symptoms for a migraine.  It sounds like you have an appointment with a neurologist.  It sounds like you are having a typical stroke symptom of not being able to come up with words called aphasia.

If you were having a stroke, they should have given you tPa medication to reduce the brain effects.  I think that the first doctor was obviously negligent to not give you a CT scan.

Take care Tracey.

Sara
I had a TIA around Thanksgiving this year.  MRI shows atrophy in white matter from prior events.  I cannot get words straight when writing. Use wrong words or spell them wrong or can't remember words.  I am 61.  My internal medicine doctor said the TIA was stress related because I am under a great deal of stress.  I do not have high blood pressure per say.  I have proof read any thing I type or write over and over.  My speech is not the same and I am forgetful.  Truthfully; this is very scary to live thru.
Hi Tough Enough,

Yes, you are.  I know that it seems scary now, but your brain reconfigures itself.  I had a major carotid artery dissection stroke 3+ years ago with Aphasia, which comprises speech problems like you are describing.  I couldn't read more than one paragraph at a time without getting exhausted.  I couldn't follow the most simple TV show.  I couldn't come up with the simplest of words.  

I quickly got better over the next few months, along with speech therapy twice a week for 3 months.  I now do adult training sessions as part of a company that I own.  I still have problems coming up with simple words when I get tired at night, which I've read is when the brain can't compensate.  

So YOU WILL get better.  Just look at the progress that I made after a major stroke.  BTW, I'm 60 years old in a few days.

You might try to get speech therapy to help you, but even without it, I think that you will recover very well--probably a lot better than I have.

I would like to hear how you are doing.  Take care.
Thank you.  I need to find a doctor.  Neurologist?  For testing and referrals. I have headaches and they scare me.  I read that people who have TIA most like one third of them have a stroke within one year.  I guess right now I am in panic mode.  
Hi again,
I didn't know that the risk of stroke was so great with previous TIAs.  I found this great US Government National Institute of Health website which lists the risk factors for stroke and points out ways to prevent a stroke.  It even has a way for you to exactly quantify your risk.
It is:  http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/preventing_stroke.htm

One risk factor which I didn't see in the list which may be too low to be listed is frequent migraines.  You probably should see a neurologist just to get relief and to calm down your fear.  

Even if you do have a stroke, most likely it is not the end of the world, although there is some mortality.   Women die far more often than men from strokes.  As young as you are, you are most likely going to recover better.  Perhaps counseling could help you since being in a panic can exacerbate conditions.  Or perhaps an anti-depressant since you have a lot to be depressed about right now.  I am on anti-depressants which also serve as pain killers which a lot of people don't know. My greatest disability from my stroke has been 24/7 migraines which is fairly rare.  And it has radically changed my whole life--but again this is rare.  Otherwise I am able to function quite well.  

Let me know what you think of the website and any thoughts that you have.  I do care.

Sara
Thank you for the information.  I am going to read it thoroughly.
i just read the website more carefully and got quite unsettled myself!!!  I read,    "If you have had a stroke in the past, it's important to reduce your risk of a second stroke. Your brain helps you recover from a stroke by asking the unaffected brain regions to do double duty. That means a second stroke can be twice as bad."   That's why when I get tired, my brain can't function as well.

You have not yet had your first stroke which the quote is referring to. And from looking up the stats, you are correct about 1/3 of those with TIAs have a stroke.  And about 25% of those having a stroke will have another one within 5 years. I know that I am at an increased risk of having another stroke, but it's different for a carotid artery dissection which is 10% over ten years.  

But I have risk factors for stroke that I cannot do anything about.  I cannot exercise or move much due to the migraines which makes them severe. And I have an untreatable high level of cholesterol, especially the kind cited on the website.  I also take hormone replacement therapy which gives you a 29% greater chance of stroke.  But otherwise sex with my husband results in pain and bleeding every time.  So for the sake of my marriage I take it.   I do take blood pressure medication and am way too hyper about my readings because over 130, it further harms my kidney failure (a result of the stroke from the CT scan dyes) and a reading of over 150 can lead to my brain aneurysm bursting--a nearly sure death.  So I have my own set of concerns.

Also another website recommended "Use of low dose aspirin on a daily basis has been shown to significantly decrease the frequency of TIA's and the likelihood of all types of ischemic stroke." By low dose, I believe they mean 81 mg/day which my neurosurgeon suggested to stave off my brain aneurysm bursting which could hit me anytime, but the chances are less than dying on the table from surgery to correct it or having severe disability like not being able to speak and paralysis.  So I take my chances.  I guess the brain aneurysm has taken more of my attention than my risk of having another stroke, but it is still a concern.

So I get your concern and do want to sound too flippant about it.  I do get it.  Let me know what you think.

I was told 10 yrs ago that I was having TIA's by a stroke dr., but yet all of my MRI's, Ct Scans, Dopler of Corotid Artery tests come back normal. I have been having these for 12 yrs now. Left side gets numb, weak, sometimes I can't walk well, The left side of my mouth turns and sometimes pulls so hard that it hurts, my speech is slurred during, but afterwards I have trouble saying certain things like mainly words that start with an "S", I feel like Im not all there and sometimes I feel like my air waves are getting smaller. When its all said and done I am very tired. For the past two weeks I've had about 6 episodes and just today I went to the ER and that dr. told me he didn't think they were Tia's at all. I've been tested for MS since alot of the symptoms are the same and that test came back normal. Okay so what the heck is going on! If my symptoms match TIA"s EXACTLY...really what is going on. I'm going to try to go to the Cleveland Clinic, Ive heard they have the best neurologists in the surrounding area. Im from Western PA.

I push myself through alot of my illnesses, Im also a juvenile diabetic and Im a single mother of 3. One of my children is also a diabetic and I have a child with ADHD and Mood disorder. BUT sometimes I just can't push myself anymore and I can't stand that no one has a definite answer as to what I should do to prevent these from occurring.
With all of the diagnostic equipment and doctors who think they are right up there with God, watch how defensive Drs. become when you question their diagnosis. I've come close to telling Neurologist and Cardiologist, do you know what you're doing or do you make this **** up as you go along. That would totally be non constructive though. At some point you just have to say, I'm seeing another Dr. you're fired!
I wanted to share what Dr told me after TIA.  He says the aspirin studies were done with full-sz aspirin, so he believes the daily aspirin should also be full-sz.  Also, I understd you should be sure to use coated aspirin, even if the uncoated don't seem to bother you, as stomach irritation can become a problem.  
I've learned much from this forum.  I wish you all well.
Hi, I was 23 when I had my first TIA, I was not a nurse at the time, and really didn't know what I was having. I thought it was a migraine that was causing vision, weakness, vomiting, garbled speech, and so on. I realized later it was not. I am now 30 and I think I just had another TIA , but not as severe as the first a couple days ago. I am scheduled to see the Dr. in the am. I am very healthy except for some raynauds in the hands and feet, since I was a teenager. I also have perfect BP and very low cholesterol. I'm thinking it could be a murmur or some kind of vascular problem. I am going to push to get answers. I understand the anxiety that goes along with not knowing why or if another attack could happen to you.
I also had the sensation of sensitivity on my head after this incident for a couple days in the back.Almost like if you  had a bad headache hangover feeling. I probably should have gone to the ED!
hi i had a stoke thirteen yrs ago when i was 43 at work at the time ,it has left me with left side weakness ,lots of other problems , but with a lot of hard work at physiotherapy i slowly got there ,thank god for spell checker i write every thing down on bites of paper and lose them drives my husband nuts HA ha . but its frighting at the time i hope your hearing gets back to normal soon,you talk louder because you hear every thing at top volume and you don't no your shouting have the time , did you get help at hospital with speech therapy, i found that one of the hardest this to come to terms with trying to get people to understand you  its good you have your friend around you,  I wish you well  
hello, i hope your back to driving again, i no what its like having to rely  on someone to take you every were you want to go ,i had my first stroke 13 yrs ago but Monday this week i had to go to get my eyes tested ,that done they sent me to my doctors i am losing my some of  vision on in the left eye its like looking down a tonal ,i have been over the years getting my independence back i can get on the village bus to take me to town and i don't want to lose this so i am feeling down at the moment back to doctors tomorrow for blood tests another matter, are you getting your sight back slowly ,kind regards  
i am a very health mom of two almost grown kids i  turned 40 in June i had a TIA a week ago i have to say my most scary thing to date, i felt fine before i had migraines before but not lately. i woke up went to work and did the whole day routine when i got home i could remember none of it  but thought my sugar dropped ( forgot to eat lunch) ate slept seemed to feel better but very tired i went on to work i worked two hours  and new something  very wrong felt like moving in a dream and very cloudy one made no sense. i went home laid down and when my kids woke me said i was slurring my words and making no sense. they took me to hospital i was out of it for two days. they said i had a TIA. my Q is for a week now is like i am in and out of it and yes so very tired. how long does this last i have to go back to dr in two days and i need to go back to work.
I also had a stroke and would like to compare notes about your disabilities.  I had a full carotid artery stroke 3.5 years ago.  I have right sided weakness and also had aphasia (speech difficulties).  I still have difficulty coming up with the simplest of words when I get tired.  I'm so interested in what other problems your stroke caused you that you mentioned above.  I can hardly write, so my notebook that I write everything in is often no good, because I can't read the phone numbers, etc. that I wrote down.

I also have difficulty walking, constantly am about to trip and drop things.  I could do more of my PT exercises, but I have so many other medical chores to do, plus need 12 hours of sleep a night and have to visit my mother in hospice about every day for the last 23 months.

I have had one medical problem after another since my stroke, but the biggest disability by far has been my daily migraines caused by my stroke.

Could you write about what other medical problems you've had and what independence you are referring to?  It would help me to compare notes.

Thanks so much.

Sara
My boss, a Company Director, has had a couple of TIA's and we have noticed a definite change in his personality... some short term memory loss, impatient, quick tempered, poor social skills, apathy etc.  (Some traits existed prior to the Stroke, but where not that pronounced or that noticeable.)  It is of concern as a valuable staff member has already resigned and a few others have been upset over these behavioural changes.  Are these personality changes normal and associated with TIA's and/or Strokes?  

Should we approach the CEO over this or should we approach the individual themselves?  What are your suggestions in trying to be more understanding or how to handle the situation better before any other good, valuable members of staff leave?    

I look forward to the responses.
I was released from the hospital yesterday, 3/24.12.I was admitted on 3/ 21/12. Last week I had several mini strokes, TIA'S, and did not even know it was happening.  TIA, and was diagnosed with FIBRO-MUSCULAR DYSPLASIA. At first i lost control of my left arm and use of my left hand. Today, 3/25/12, I can move my hand around, i can move my index and ring finger a little and am working on how to pick things up. I wanted to know how long this was going to last. I'm 37 and have NEVER been thru anything like this before.
Yes, these responses are associated with strokes, or it could be from your boss's anxiety or frustration from deficits that the TIAs caused.  Are you asking whether you should talk to your own boss about his bad behavior?  I think not.  If you are so concerned about the company, you could get someone else to approach your boss if you think that the word won't get back to your boss that you're the one who complained.  Or get a whole bunch of you to approach someone else in the company about the problem. You'll have to be creative on this one.
HI there  Some years ago after routine blood tests my potassium level was very low, my doctor then put me on tablets. After a few months I felt very ill, no energy, tingling in and down the sides of my head. Bloods revealed low potassium, had to take more tablets. This went on for a couple of years then my heartbeat became irregular very ill again Doc said I had a mild heart attack, in hospital two weeks untill my heart was back to normal, Potassium levels were up and down for a further three years. While on holiday in UK my Mum died suddenly of a heart attack I took it pretty bad spent a week in hospital irregular heartbeat again and low potassium. Told to report to my Doctor back in Australia. Only been back in OZ a few months when I had a my first TIA pretty scary. The weakness down my left side and tingling in my head and slurred speech took months to ease up. Doc said it was brought on by stress. The yo yo with potassium went on for another couple of years my Doc almost had myself and Hubby believing I needed phyciatric help because of the stress of my Mum's death. I went to Young Doctor for another opinion On a Friday He diagnosed me with Cons Syndrome, Said a Friend of his was doing research and studies at our major Hospital. The following Monday I was in Hospital for three weeks of tests a benign  tumor was growing on my left adrenal gland, Too detailed to go into now but that was what was depleting my potassium in turn blood pressure becomes dangerously high which I was told would have been the cause of my heart problems and TIA. When told not little was known about the tumor becomming cancerous I opted to have the adrenal gland removed instead of yearrs on meds and the uncertanty. The condition was so rare I was only the ninth person to have the surgery.
I hadn't had any problems until this week when I had another TIA, my first thought was potassium loss but that was not the case. My symptoms were somewhat different as in besides the weakness down the left side with a dull ache, The previous night I had pain in my jaw down my neck tip of the shoulder and under my ribcage which lasted 20 mins. Went as quick as it came. When I woke the following day the TIA was there, had all the usual tests and scans and spent 4 days in hospital, apart from high blood pressure everything was negative. Went to see my GP and he confirmed I had a TIA and started me on Plavix and Coversil at night for blood pressure. I have been on Cartia (coated asprin) since my first TIA , my GP told me today if I hadn't been taking it I would have had a serious stroke. I still have the symptoms but he said in time they will subside.
I do hope my info helps in some way this is a great site. "Cons Syndrome" can be a very dangrous condition check it out and question any loss of potassium, I was told I could have died as a result of my doctors neglect don't let anyone tell you it's all in your head.    
i hope someone helped you, just reading this a couple of years later. not all brain lack of function is diagnosed with mri, as loss of brain cells can occur, but not show up on mri. a neuro psychologist is the person who diagnoses this, the symptoms you describe sound as if executive functions and balance have been affected.
recommend neuropsychological testing with a neuropsychologist.
I had a TIA on Friday April 27th.  Speech effected only as a symptom.  Out of hospital yesterday.  My question is this; as a diabetic, do you find your speech patttern deficits are more pronounced in the morning, afternoon or evening and do they get worse as you are more self-conscious of them?

i am stuggling with this as I am scared, worried, and troubled by the effects on my job, my life and my health going forward.

Thank you,

D
Hi, I have been reading a lot of information about what happens after a TIA, my husband had one about a month ago, and he is also concerned about the aftermath, his symptoms are the same or very similar (tired all the time,weakness on arm or leg that was affected by the brain, forgetting things and talking very fast.
It seems to be normal. but no one can tell how long the symptoms will last or maybe they maybe permanent. I have told him to be patient and just pay attention to your body, the Dr. told him, "continue with your life but if you are tired listen to that", so I understand the frustration of the whole thing, he works about 45 hours a week and each day he comes home he eats dinner and go to bed. It's the best thing for the brain. I believe that you have to ask for help from family members or friends for the other stuff that has to get taken care of like walking the dog, cleaning up or yard work.
One more thing I work with a woman that had a TIA two years ago and she said it took her about a year to feel like herself she goes to a support group and said that it helped her. So good luck to you be patient.
I had my TIA about 1 week ago, I'm still dizzy and fatigued and weak. I too was told that the effects should only last 24 hours or so, which I find funny because I didn't get medical attention for the first 3 days because I thought I had an inner ear infection (typical male reaction I guess). Mornings are a little shaky, and then later at night it seems like I take a step back on recovery. I am active duty military and on Monday I will see how the military reacts to my new condition. I know I'm not 100% or even at times 50%. It is good to know that I'm not the only one who seems to think they either got the 24 hour thing wrong or I had more of a real stroke than they suspect. The problem with me is the military deals on hard facts, and the fact is that the MRI and CT scan displayed negative results. Which would mean to the military, I could possibly be charged with "malingering", a term used to discribe people who fake injury to get out of work. I have served 20 years honorably to include deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, hopefully I have proved to the military that I am dedicated and would never "fake" anything, not to mention...who would fake this nightmare?  I have done 35 years of Tracy Kenpo Karate, completed 13 deployments in the Navy, ran 5.5 miles 2 days before the TIA, not over weight but after my last deployment (Iraq) I came home with diabetes, so you never know, I survived all that only to get my but kicked by something no bigger than a grain of sand.
I had my TIA last Tuesday or Wednesday and was hospitalized on thurday and released on friday. Sunday now, the mornings I seem to still be dizzy (my main symptom). But for two days now in the afternoon I feel almost fine, but mornings and night, I seem to almost revert back to this. I am also diabetic. One other curious thing, my typing skill have suffered, before this I was pretty good, now I hit a lot of wrong letters and even wrong words. I noticed this just writing on this forum. It truly is a  "new world" for me. My wife is worried so I try not to let her know, but I'm sure she see's it also.
My TIA happened Dec 23, 2010. I had the PFO closure and believe that I am no longer at risk for stroke or other TIAs, as all my tests (MRI, CAT, & echo) came back clear. I have been however been experiencing the lack of clarity and focus ever since. That feeling of not being your self anymore, emotional swings, and some memory loss, according to my wife. The frustrating part, is that every where I have looked and my doctors say that there are NO lasting after affects of a TIA. I came here looking for others who might be experiencing the same. I feel some relief knowing I'm not alone in this. I guess now, we need to find a way to decrease these after affects. Some kind of therapy?
I had read all that about no lasting effects, but one of my doctors read a medical article to me from 2009, saying that T.I.A's can have lasting effects and something to the nature that the medical community is now re-thinking the whole "no lasting effects". With me, there has been lasting effects of dizzyness (light headiness, memory loss mostly). It's only been a little over a week, but the light headiness improved over the first four days and since then has not improved at all. Plus, writing in my tracker on this web site, I noticed if I don't write down my meals that day, I either don't remember what I ate the previous day or get two or thee days mixed up. Not me at all. I am going to try to get the article the Doc read to me and then try to post it here so others can see it also. He is on leave now but will return in three weeks. My big question is: Can you have a stoke and then can the stroke "resolve" itself? Because like you and many others, only some of my symptoms resolved themselves, so I believe I had a stroke, not a TIA.
I had a tia 2 years ago and my thought pattern and memory is still missed up. I cant remember anything and still have problem with speach and have a very hard time getting words out.
I'm wondering if they did a EEG on you. I have mine on thurday to see what kind of permanent effects have happened. The claim is that there is no long term effect, but then I and you shouldn't have any residual side effects.
Darrin
I am a 56 yr. old male who had a TIA about 3-4 weeks ago.  Thank God, I had no severe adverse lingering effects.  Prior to this TIA I was a marathon runner and in the gym 3 to 4 times/week.  Since the TIA, it's all i can do to make it through the day without a nap-my energy level is lower than i have ever experienced.  Are there others who have experienced this severe fatigue and how long before the energy returns?
on may 30 2012 in the middle of the night I got up to go to the bathroom and fell, my husband tried to help me up but I couldn’t and I couldn’t speak I tried to  make motions. finally was able to get up. the next day I was home alone so I wasn’t speaking to anyone when he arrived home I tried to speak to him and couldn’t form any words the next day we spoke on the phone same thing, he came from work and took me to the hospital I was admitted  right away  I was told it was a TIA.  I spent 6 days and had 5 test at first I seemed ok the last 2 test a MRIA WITH dye showed I had a left middle cerebral  attack the last test was an angiogram  to the brain both defined it was not a TIA but a stroke after a week home I noticed major things like major depression, which occurs because of damage caused by the stroke to areas of the brain that regulate emotions, occurs as a response to the effects of the stroke and the sudden changes in energy, abilities, feelings, perceptions, and independence that the stroke victim must adjust to. Dealing with post-stroke depression requires dealing directly with the depression, but also with the assorted effects of the stroke that may include apprehension, anger, anxiety, irritation, agitation,  fear, and physical limitations. This may last several months to several years depending on the severity of the stroke. I cry daily, cant get my words out right tired all the time.  so my TIA wasn’t… it was a stroke. Its been almost 8 weeks I told my neurologist  I wish I was dead than go through all this be blessed for your TIA

I just was released yesterday from3 day stay in hosp  My occupational therapist noticed my facial droop,.  My Blood pressures have been reallyd high. I noticed all weekend my left arm felt like a toothache, and my head hurt so bad, I felt like I could burst a vessel in my head. I just thought it was sinuses or allergies. While in the hosp I failed my swallow eval x2 and had trouble with memory. All MRI/CT were normal, but my 2dEcho didn't show my PFO that I have. They say i prob had more than one TIA, but I want to know how am I to tell what's worrisome and when am I going to feel like myself? I'm just over whelmed, and I believe in denial. How do I wrap my head around this?
If you read through these postings you will see that many people have long term fatigue and other symptoms, in spite of the doctors telling you that you will have no lasting effects from it.

However, you should definately not be just saying "Thank God." that it was just a TIA.  You should have been told by your doctor that within 3 months after a TIA, 10 to 15 percent of people will have a stroke.  And the probability of stroke after a TIA is 20 percent in the first year and 45 percent within five years.  That means a full stroke which can mean paralysis, no ability to talk and death amongst many other disabilities.

Instead of counting all your strengths, go to a doctor and find out everything you can do to prevent having a full stroke.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but it could save your life.  Good luck to you.
So sorry to hear about your full stroke.  It can definately be very hard.   You should first of all be taking an anti-depressant, which may need to be increased if you are still experiencing depression.

I hope that you are getting both speech therapy for your speaking problems and physical therapy for any other disabilities.  As you see progress, which you will if you do the exercises at home as well as going to the therapy sessions, you will start to feel better. You will see progress.

I too had a full stroke 4 years ago and have made terrific progress from what I started with, but still am very disabled with 24/7 migraines which the stroke caused, plus other minor disabilities.  But my mood is good for the most part.  You will feel better in time.

Which side of your brain was affected by your stroke?  Also wondering how old you are and what kind of stroke was it?  An eschemic stroke, hemmoraghic one or specifically a carotid artery dissection?

Please feel free to keep in touch with me about your feelings.  I've been through severe depression at times with my stroke.  It can be exceptionally hard which others don't really understand having not gone through it.

Wish you the best.

Sara
You will gradually feel better, but sometimes with TIAs (given the responses above), it can take awhile.  

But you should see a doctor to find out everything that you can do to avoid a far more serious full stroke.  As you can see from my response above to bjd3656, the chances of you having a stroke after a TIA are very high.

Take care.

Sara
I am a 64 year old male and had 2 mini strokes a week ago and spent 4 days in the hosp. Very high blood pres. I am now on Atenolol, Plavix and Simvastatin. One of my symptoms was numbness in my left leg and arm, that numbness has returned a couple of times today but leaves quick. I do not have any insurance and don't really know if I should be worried about this. Is there anyone else with the same. Any advice would help.....
I didn't have any TIAs like you, but from many of the postings, others have lingering symptoms from their mini-strokes.  And from your medications, it sounds like you are doing all the right things to prevent a full stroke.  If you smoke, however, that is the biggest risk factor for having a stroke according to my neurologist.  And your chances of having a full stroke within the next 5 years is 33%, so don't fool around.  Having had a full stroke myself, it has been a constant major disability ever since.  All the best to you.
Sara
I'm glad I found this site.I'm 38 years old and was admitted to hospital labor day night.I was fine all day and I was on porch and my left leg went numb and then my speech was slurred so bad.my husband called ambulance.all my vitals were good cat scan came back fine.MRI they said I had couple lesions on my brain but I was fine at 730 next morning.they sent me home and diagnosed me with aphasia.three days went by and a lot of pressure in the back of my head and still have a little pressure on my left side.and sometimes ill be talking fine and then ill say a word and I have to really project it out..what's going on and how long will this last.
You don't say whether the lesions on your brain indicated a TIA or a full stroke.  If it was a TIA, most doctors will tell you that the after effects only are temporary.  If you look at previous answers, you will see that some people think that their symptoms have lasted months or years later.

If you had a full stroke, you should get physical therapy and speech therapy to get as much recovery as possible.

What did your doctor have to say?
If you're still there, you say that you are so worried about having another stroke.  I think that you should know that people who have had a full stroke from a cartotid artery dissection only have a 1% chance of another stroke for each of the next 10 years.  That's far different from the chances of having another stroke after an eschemic stroke which is 25% within the next 5 years.

You really should ask your doctor what your chances of having another TIA or stroke after a TIA cartotid artery dissection because otherwise the chances of having a full stroke following a TIA is close to 40% according to the National Stroke ***'n.  I wouldn't think that the chances can be nearly that high with yours.  But ask to put your mind at rest.
Hi. I'm 39yrs old and I had my first TIA 3 weeks ago and now i'm having problems. I have trouble remembering what happened yesterday. I have trouble spelling, I have bad pain in the middle of my of my head all day. And night. The pain meds I was prescribed just takes edge off but only for 2  or 3 hours!!!!!! I have 2 toddlers at home with me and they make me want to run and hide! I just want to be back to my old self! I was a nursing student. I'm in pain, forgetful, irritable, and in tears most of my days!
Are you suddenly having the worse physical problems 3 weeks after your TIA?   If so, you should tell your doctor who could test you with an MRI (no radiation) to determine whether you've had another TIA.  If you're still having the same problems, also call your doctor to ask whether it is normal to have as much problem as you are having 3 weeks later.  Sorry I'm not an expert about TIAs since I had a full stroke.

But in any case, you need more relief from your initense migraines.  Call the doctor about more relief, such as stronger pain pills, definately daily preventative migraine pills (which take awhile to work) and maybe nerve block and trigger point injections.  Those injections really helped my terrible migraines caused my by stroke.  I had to go to the ER regularly because I would just vomit for hours and get severely dehydrated from the pain.

Also see about seeing a neurologist as well as your regular doctor about your migraines.

Also, see if you can get help with your toddlers.  Can any relatives travel there to help you?  Or any friends?  Or even some community resource.  
A major thing has happened to you and you are in need right now.

Please keep in touch with me to let me know how you are doing and what the doctors are telling you.  I do wish you the best.

Sara
I just want to say Hello and give you my story.
I suffered a stroke on NY eve 2008 it was a TIA but apparently it was not my first event.It was a right brain event that affected my left side with total  paralysis and complete loss of speech.It lasted for several hours and eventually within 24 hours I was feeling my strength and speech return. Here it is almost 5 years later and I am still very affected by those TIA's.I have been treated and still am for depression and bipolar disorder.I have lost all my emotions and desires.  I am fatigued and sleepy all the time.I have a very short fuse and have destroyed almost all of my  business and social contact with friends and family.I am a shut in and just in a fog that seems to be taking the person I was slowly and inexorably away.It is embarrassing and demoralizing to talk about and being on meds.is not the answer, so far.Ive dropped hints that those mild TIA's Aint so Mild!!! Now on total SSDI...Longing to live aching to die.
Yes I am a multiple TIA survivor with terrible fatigue and it has plagued me for the last 5 years.I always have to take naps and work is out of the question.
I have suffered many problems with vertigo dyslexia balance and serious mood swings since.This all occurred slowly over time with some symptoms slowly diminishing and others not so.There is no one size fits all diagnosis because  every event is different and strikes different nerve centers. You may or may not get better or worse only time will tell.
I was 52 when my TIA's started and now I am 57 and feel 97.Don't let people tell you it was a mild event.People who have never experienced one have no idea the effects lasting or otherwise.
Best of luck to you...
Did your depression and bipolar start suddenly with your TIA or did it get greatly worse after your TIA?  

You say meds are not the answer.  Have you seen a good psychiatrist to treat you?  There are combinations of medications that may help you to feel better than "aching to die".  Bipolar is definately a chemical imbalance.  So if you to be able to fight your bipolar disease enough to accept meds, you should have far more happiness.  
Hi, I had a nuerological event on September 23rd of this year.  At first I was diagnosed with a stroke, but I was told that my MRI was clear.  Then I was told that I either had a TIA or a stress reaction.  However, my doctors believe if it was a TIA then all symptoms would be gone within 24 hours.  But I can see by so many posts here that is not always the case. I saw my doc last week and he  said there were spots on my MRI, that could show ischemic disease, and that it showed hypersensitivities.  My nurse mentioned if I had ever been dx with MS.  No, no doc has mentioned that.  I have right sided weakness, could not move my right side at all, but through therapy have improved so much.  Two nights ago, I had blurry/double vision, solomness, confusion, and trouble walking, but it disapeared within minutes, only the trouble walking and extreme exhaustion lasted.  I think that may have been a TIA.. Robin
i had a mini stroke a few years ago, the cat scan showed a location in the front of my brain that had been deprived of blood flow.. I have been having problems ever since that episode.. I continuously have a stiff neck and slight headache, dizziness, almost a feeling of like a brain shock will course through my upper body multiple times in a day, they also said I have Plaque in the main arteries in the back of my neck I have a hard time remembering things and learning new things, its like I just do not retain information any longer with task oriented subjects.. it has caused me such problems that I have changed jobs 3 times in a little over a year because I struggle so badly, I am really starting to feel pretty useless and stupid at this time, I am a design engineer and this is not a good thing for me. I dont KNow what to do... Please help me..
So sorry to hear about your problems.  Have you seen a neurologist more recently about it?  If so, get another opinion from another neurologist.  Your problems are fairly severe.  
Mine came back normal on the 15th of  December... I am so angry sometimes because my thoughts don't come out right. My left side is still affected... Driving is scary because of I can't act as fast... my work put me back in full service after mine working from 7:30 am to 8pm. I am finding that is way tomuch.
I am so glad I found this - I had a small stroke about 6 weeks ago & I am supposed to go back to work next week but I don't know if I am ready. I am in customer service & am on phones & computers all day, but lately I feel like my symptoms are getting worse rather than better. I lost about 50% of the strength on my left side, have massive headaches, and have major balance issues with dizziness. I also tire very easily. I just don't know what to do - I was hoping to feel more normal by now - but I don't.
It sounds like more than a small stroke.  You definitely need help with physical therapy.  And also you need help with your headaches.  Have you tried a daily preventative migraine medication like Topomax (topamax)?  There are many other treatments for migraines besides medication.  See a neurologist who specializes in migraines.  Have your massive headaches been just since your stroke?  I had terrible 24/7 migraines after my stroke which are now far better with various treatments.  Usually the migraines don't last after a stroke, but they can.  And they can be much more difficult to treat than others' migraines. So don't be bashful about getting help.  You make the most progress within the first 6 months after a stroke, so don't wait to get help--the sooner the better.  Let me know how you do.
Thanks Sara - I did go to my neurologist yesterday & had an infusion done. It helped a little but now the headache is back - he told me that if the treatment didn't help to go back to the ER because it could be another stroke or at least something more serious than a standard migraine. I'm not sure how long that medication is supposed to last so I am not sure if I should be concerned. I am doing some physical therapy - mainly stuff they gave me to do at home because it was costing me quite a bit even with my insurance. At least I am off work for another week so I don't need to worry about that yet!
What kind of an infusion did the neurologist give you?  Must have been a pain killer.  Wouldn't your insurance cover an ER visit?  Sounds like that would be a good idea.  Make sure you tell them what your neurologist said.  Have you tried a daily preventative migraine medication like Topomax (topamax)?  You really should be trying that. And it takes about a month for them to work, so you need to get on to that ASAP.  There are also nerve block and trigger point injections.  If the daily medications don't work, you could get Botox injections that usually work.  Glad that you have PT exercises to do at home.  Yes, it is very expensive.  Keep me posted.  I am concerned about you.  Those having a TIA have a high percentage of having another stroke.  So listen to your neurologist.  You may need to take something like Coumadin, but the MRI will let you know.
I am going to call my neurologist this morning to see what he has to say. I know the one medicine he gave me was torridol but I can't remember the other one (started with a D). The headache is coming & going now - so at least it isn't constant, but now I have bad leg pain in both legs - I sound like a baby - trust me I am driving myself nuts with all of this. I have to be careful with migraine meds I guess as some are very dangerous for me to take now, but my neurologist wants me on BP meds because my BP was very high last week - so maybe those will help. At any rate I will keep you posted - thank you for listening & for the advice - it means a lot!
Toradol is used short-term (5 days or less) to treat moderate to severe pain, usually after surgery. It is used alone or in combination with other medicines.

Toradol can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or STROKE!  This risk will increase the longer you use Toradol.   So be very careful!

Find out what the name of the other medication is that you were given, or look it up on-line to find out if it is one of the daily preventative migraine medications. That's very important for your migraines.

Make sure you get your blood pressure under control.  In a long talk with one of my neurologists, she told me that blood pressure was the single biggest risk factor for having another stroke other than smoking.  My blood pressure medication is Atenolol which is supposed to help the migraines some.  But I get a whole lot of other treatments and meds to control my migraines caused by my stroke.
HI, i'm 39 years old and back on December 10th, 2012, i woke up with no memory of the previous 48 hours. I didn't recall important events from the week or 2 prior. For example the purchase of a brand new vehicle.I had to ask my husband when the first statement from the finance company came in the mail what it was for. I didn't remember him buying a snowblower the day before and myself even using it. I still ask him things that I come across now, that happened last month.

I struggled for the next 2 days with my memory and ended up going into the doc on the12th. Doc told me i suffered from Transiet Global Amnesia. He ordered an MRI of the Brain for that friday.  results came back showing no issues. I noticed that day after the MRI that i was struggling with my speech. with in a couple days dizzy and off balance started. I asked to be referred to a neurologist. Saw the Neuro on January 11th. Where he proceeded to tell me that I'm suffering from a mini storke or getting ready to have a major stroke and that i need to start taking baby asprin daily, change my eating habits get lots of rest and quit smoking.

Everyday now since the the middle of December,  I have struggled with my vision being blurry, still deal with vertigo, especially when I lay down, struggle with memory and struggle with my speech and speech gets worse when i get tired.I struggle to say what I want to say that I will sit there just staring cause I can't say what I'm thinking, the words just wont come out of my mouth. Or I can't even think of what the words are that I'm trying to say. And by late morning I'm exhausted. So exhausted that I literally can not stay awake and have to take a nap.

I don't dare drive myself anywhere because of the vertigo and blurred vision. I've become so frustrated at times that all I do is cry. I've also noticed how I have become so short tempered and upset so quickly. I never use to be like this. I can't wait for the day that I can be normal again. but for now this is the new "norm".  

I've had 2 MRA's done yesterday and waiting for the results. I'm scheduled for a Echo Stress test, and also scheduled for a sleep study to check the brain activity. My husband is a truck driver, has also come off the road, put a driver into his truck to help me here at home and with my work. (i'm an operations manager for a small trucking company)  

I pray every night when I lay down, that the next morning I can get up with no more dizzy spells, that i can make it thru a day being able to see clearly, that I can be able to hold a conversation and not have to struggle to express what I'm wanting to say. And that I can feel energized and need no naps.  How long can this last till I feel better. I'm tired........
What does your doctor have to say about when you can expect to feel better?  You can just look back over many of the responses above to see that other people have struggled for quite a while after small strokes.  It's been a real shock to you, like most of us that have strokes, but you'll need to take care of yourself as well as possible to avoid a far worse stroke.
Doc hasn't said anything on when I can expect to feel better. :-(  

The last few days the vertigo seems to happen less thru the day, and only happen when I go to bed or get up. Even moving real slow doesn't lessen the vertigo. Vision and speech my biggest problems right now. And with what I do for work, it is a real struggle thru out the day.

I'm thankful for finding this page. I've read all the posts from the beginning and its a relief to see that there are others going thru what I'm going thru. That we're not alone in this.
My doctor told me, that since my MRI and CT scan came back normal it was a TIA, otherwise it would have shown signs of a stroke.
If your speech is one of the things that you are struggling with the most, does your health insurance cover speech therapy?  I had speech therapy twice a week for 3 months after having a major stroke.  Then I was back to conducting training sessions 4 months later.  Also ask your doctor if there is any therapy or if an opthamologist may be able to help you with your vision problems.  If you don't have a doctor's appt for a while, then call up your doctor's office and ask for a nurse, who can either answer your question or ask the doctor and get back to you.

And you might ask your doctor point blank when you can expect to be able to work again without such major problems.   Sorry for your new reality which is very difficult.  Just remember that a major stroke could leave you with terrible pain, paralysis and no speech--all 3 permanently.  So hope that you can quit smoking because that is one of the biggest factors with causing another stroke.  Good luck.
I see that my response to you didn't get addressed to you, so you may not have gotten an email alert to it.  So I've repeated it below.  But as far as your leg pain, Botox injections can also help with leg pain from strokes.  

My previous response in case you missed it is below.

.
All my scans came back normal - I had 2 MRI's , CAT scan w and w.o. contrast and a Carotid Sonogram. I am still struggling with thinking and doing. It's very frustrating.
I had a tia just before xmas since then I have short term memory loss get confused && sometimes am a little unsteady on my feet. My sleep pattern is all over the place. I dont like being outside on my own because I have even forgotten where I live. It took me ages to remember. Is this normal
Hello
My name is Greg, I experienced a cluster of Tia's while taking a shower in April.. So it's been 9 months. I have experienced a numbness in the entire left half of my body and have blurred vision on the left sides of both my eyes. This happened immediately after the stroke and has not improved at all over my 9 month recovery. I notice that I am tired more than I was in the past and I feel quite depressed at times. But im starting to think that the tiredness and depression are not effects of the stroke but just effects of my life being different than before. I've been exercising regularly, trying to eat as healthy as possible and I have almost completely cut out drinking and partying. I'm just working on doing anything I can to stay healthy and happy, I believe I could be more grateful for my life.. Working on that too.

Hope everyone on here finds what there looking for, never fold.
Hi Greg,
You are doing so well with your efforts.  It may not seem like it, but they are helping you.  I have just a few suggestions for you.  Get on an anti-depressant to help not just with your mood, but also to help you physically.  Scientists now see depression as a whole body disease which does have physical effects as well.  Anti-depressants are pain relievers as well.  It could even help your numbness.  And if you aren't so tired, it will help you.  

Also a majority of stroke survivors have sleep apnea.  Don't know about TIA survivors.  But in any case this may be the cause of your fatigue.  My stroke caused sleep apnea whereas before my stroke, I had a normal sleep study.  That could help your fatigue as well as preventing another full stroke if you do have sleep apnea.  (I saw 4 neurologists at a major university after my stroke.  It wasn't until 4 years later that my regular doctor suggested that I get a sleep study.  Go figure that all those other doctors never thought of it.  My main neurologist did apologize to me saying that he should have thought of it.)

And has the doctor recommended any daily aspirin?  Having had a TIA, you are at a 35% chance of having a full major stroke within the next 5 years.  Also have you spoken to a neurologist about your symptoms lasting so long from a TIA?

I have to work on being more grateful for what I have in my life too.  All you have to think about is what a full stroke can cause--paralysis, not being able to speak, not able to eat--needing feeding tube and being in terrible pain.  I've had the latter to deal with since my stroke, but am grateful for what I am able to do, as well as a wonderful husband and a good place to live.  You take care.  You are on the right track.  Let me know what you think about my comments or whether you think I'm all washed up. :)
Is an TIA not a stroke?  If it is not, what is it?
Here's what I found by looking it up on-line.   A TIA is different than a stroke. After a TIA, the blockage breaks up quickly and dissolves. Unlike a stroke, a TIA does not cause brain tissue to die.

While transient ischemic attack (TIA) is often labeled “mini-stroke,” it is more accurately characterized as a “warning stroke,” a warning you should take very seriously.
TIA is caused by a clot; the only difference between a stroke and TIA is that with TIA the blockage is transient (temporary). TIA symptoms occur rapidly and last a relatively short time. Most TIAs last less than five minutes; the average is about a minute.

TIAs and strokes cause the same symptoms, such as contralateral aralysis (opposite side of body from affected brain hemisphere) or sudden weakness or numbness. A TIA may cause sudden dimming or loss of vision (amaurosis fugax), aphasia, slurred speech (dysarthria) and mental confusion. But unlike a stroke, the symptoms of a TIA can resolve within a few minutes or 24 hours. Brain injury may still occur in a TIA lasting only a few minutes.

Having a TIA is a risk factor for eventually having a stroke where a third of all people who have experienced a TIA will go on to have an actual stroke.
Hope this helps!
There are different types of strokes.
Silent, Blind or Invisible stroke-you don't know that they are happening at all. May have residual affects.
Mini Stroke or TIA-very mild symptoms you may or may not be aware it is happening-again, may have residual affects. They may last forever or they may  not appear until MANY years later.
Stroke- major symptoms-may or may not have residual affects. Woman go tto this web site. VERY informative and lots of links.
I just went through this with my mother on Friday. Saturday morning it was like it never happened.
Also, be aware that you are at a higher risk for seizures if you have had any type of stroke. My mother had seizures all day on Friday and while this was going on had a TIA. Please read below. Woman could have different symptoms then men and my mother had most of those listed under Woman and few from the "anyone list".

http://www.hearthealthywomen.org/tests-diagnosis/index-tests/electroencephalogram-eeg.html

What are the common symptoms of stroke?
Not everyone gets all of the following warning signs of stroke, and sometimes these signs can go away and return. If you have any of these symptoms, call 9-1-1 immediately.
• Sudden numbness or weakness of face, arm, or leg, especially on only one side of the body
• Sudden confusion or trouble speaking or understanding speech
• Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
• Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination
• Sudden severe headache with no known cause
Do women experience different stroke symptoms?
A study of 1124 stroke survivors found that some people have nontraditional stroke symptoms. These symptoms can appear in anyone having a stroke, but they are especially common in women. The nontraditional signs associated with stroke include:
• Sudden face and arm or leg pain
• Sudden hiccups
• Sudden nausea (feeling sick to your stomach)
• Sudden tiredness
• Sudden chest pain
• Sudden shortness of breath (feeling like you can't get enough air)
• Sudden pounding or racing heartbeat
hi, im 28yrs old i have a child with complex needs, i had a TIA just over a week ago. iv had a headache and migraines nearly everyday since and months before hand. since the TIA iv felt very depressed, angry, and very confused. im waiting back on bloods, then there sending me to see a neurologist. doctors have also said i should now feel normal but i dont. i get really bad pains in my neck and head. i feel sick and get dizzy on the mornings. im so tired, even after plenty of sleep. i feel like giving up im so down, i hope this passes!  im now taking daily asprin. but i feel terrible and i have a disabled child to look after too :(
As you can see from the postings above, many other people have had lingering symptoms.  I don't know why the doctors say that you should be normal.  Bring in these postings and ask your neurologist.  
Hi. I had a TIA about a month ago.. had all sorts of tests done and everything came out good
but still I had some few side affects, my left side still feels numb, my leg gives up on me,
and also I been forgetting alot of stuff.. recently I've been getting very tired, and horrible headaches,
and loud ringing in my right ear..Have Dr appt soon but if everything came out good at the hospital
I'm thinking it will still be the same.. I read almost all comments and I'm amazed at how everyone that has had
TIA's are going through same symptoms.. We are treated and off we go, instead off doing more further tests!
Regardless of what the tests show, you're having problems which need treatment. Especially your terrible headaches. And maybe you can use some physical therapy to help your leg.  Demand some help.  Good luck!
aren't TIA's supposed to be transient? symptoms and residual lasting less than 24 hours?  A stroke just keeps on giving.... ? Finally going to a neuro... 6 1/2 weeks later. I guess people die while waiting?
I am sooooo glad I found this forum! I had a TIA about 2 weeks ago (I am 30, in decent health, a little overweight). It was first diagnosed as an allergy attack, then the symptoms were still there (numbness, weakness, aches, pains, etc.) so I went to another doctor. He knew right away it was a TIA. I am still extremely exhausted and have no energy. Everything tells me that I should return to normal within 24 hours, but like most of you have said, the effects last much longer. I had an MRI, blood work, and Corotid artery study done on Friday, so still waiting on results to see if there is any damage. It seems as though I get tired just doing dishes or laundry! :( I take frequent "rest breaks" while at home, but I work in a factory where rest is impossible, so I'm trying my best to do my best work even though I'm tired and lose my train of thought or forget what I am doing for a few seconds. We will get through this! God Bless!
I had a TIA four days ago and I still have numbness in left arm and leg as well as jerky-type movements.  My facial drooping was better in four hours but my short-term memory is not good and I have problems remembering commonly used passwords.  Also, I am soooo tired...just walking is a chore.  I am so glad to find this website because I wanted to know how long these symptoms will last.  I bought a cane to try and steady my gait, and I am slowly improving; however, my CT and MRI scan came back negative.  I have read that this was normal.  My mother has had multiple TIAs, my sister has had 7, and my grandfather (mother's dad) had multiple TIAs before his massive stroke.  Any suggestions on how long some of these symptoms last would be wonderful.  Also, if someone can tell me why these do not show up on MRI or CT that would be helpful because they released me and told me they didn't know what happened to me.  GREAT right....although I was told the MRI scan revealed multiple lesions on my brain but, the attending neurologist stated that everyone has lesions on the brain.
I just experienced TIA last Friday, 5/24/2013 and was let out of the hospital the following day after all the test were done and the neurologist spoke to me and explained the test indicated no damage were found.

I still experience minor numbing of my left arm and feel like my left face is drooping specially in the morning when I wake up.  Also my first night out of the hospital I felt headache in the left side of my head when I woke up in the middle of the night but was gone in morning when I woke.  I do however feel not a headache but a heavy head feeling something is pressing on my forehead much like coming out of a sinus head cold.  I'm trying to change my diet to loss weight now which I'm sure is the cause of my TIA.

I hope I will not have a lasting effect since it seems most of the post is worst than mine.  I do have a pain in my right toe like a gout but I don't know if that's associated with TIA.
Just came from my primary physician for a follow up and she noticed a bit of uneven smile as if my left facial has drooped a little.  It's been 4 days since my initial attack but I still feel sensations of numbness in my left arm and face that come and go.  My physician called their neurologist and she conveyed to me that it may just be after effect and will slowly dissipate; however, she said if any change in my speech pattern or some new symptom arises to get to the emergency immediately.

I hope and pray the numbness I feel dissipates soon and have no lasting effect.
I was just told I've had a lot of little strokes (I assume TIA's)  was so relieved to hear about the "jekell & Hyde" feelings..I was sure I was losing my mind!  I can tear up over the smallest things, then be just fine and then the rage will come into my mind.  I'm thinking of using duct tape on my mouth to keep the nasty retorts from popping out.  ha   Ya, my husband is starting to get a little frayed by all the me's he has to deal with.
I'm sorry you are experiencing all of this, but your post was so helpful to me.
Well I had a TIA on Jan. 3, 2013 and was in the hospital for 3 days and ever since I have had trouble with the easiest things my concentration is awful I have tried to reason why and how could this happen. Maybe it has been my fault because I did not take care of myself I do not know I dwell too much in the past. Because I have lost my family due to all of this. First I was hurt on the job then I have been in pain since 2009 when I split my long head bicep and hurt my back I can no longer work like I did before it is if I am no good to anyone not even my daughter which I love so much. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to recover from this. This is how my TIA happened I was coaching my daughters basketball team but earlier in the day. I had blurred vision in one eye then in both I really was not under too much stress I was happy that my daughters team had practice that night and I would get to see her. In the middle of practice I notice my arm was feeling numb and then my right side I had tried to shake it off so I walked away and started to shake my body to get back some feeling and then I started to get the worst pain in my life my head was throbbing and I could not shake it off so I immediately told my daughter that we should go as her and I got in my car and drove away I had to use my hand to push my leg and step on the brake that was the scariest thing ever I immediately stopped in the middle of the road and had her call her mother to come and drive us to her home. When I got to their house she told me to lay down and that maybe my headache would go away it did not and I told her to please take me to a hospital my head hurting like if it would explode as she drove me to the hospital we were pulled over for her taking a yellow light. She told the officer that I had not been feeling well and that we were headed to the hospital because she thought I was having a stroke he asked if I needed an ambulance and I said please I need to get to the hospital I could barely walk and think so when we got to the hospital I was admitted fairly quickly. Thank God. I could not speak I had a hardtime lifting my head and answering questions they did a ekg and other tests after the 3 days I was still dizzy for about 2 months and am still trying to cope I have short term memory loss and it is hard to cope with everything even though I look normal my brain just struggles all day long even with speech.

You mentioned that you feel numbness on your feet. Has it affected you physically?
hi i had a tia 3 months ago i jusr had tinggling in my lip fingers and my eye felt strange i was given asprin and had a ct scan which showed nothing after a scan i was told i had left corotid artery and had surgery within the week i know have mood swings panic attacks and still have tinggling in my fingers on my right hand and my eye still feels strange anyone else having these problems im waiting for a mri scan thanks
Thank God for this post! I am 56, female, single and live with my daughter and my grandson and really thought I was also having some psychological crisis as well as the T.I.A.s.  Had two since 30 Sept 2013, and feeling VERY fragile at the moment. Weak and tired and confused and feeling a bit 'lost' inside my head.  I have slept on an unmade bed for the past week because the effort of thinking about making it is too difficult, so I just keep pulling the quilt over the mattress! LOL Sounds quite pathetic but better than trying to struggle with something that seems insurmountable for me today.  Maybe tomorrow.... Also been confused - Dr has said not to drive for a fortnight so I got a taxi to the chemist the other day but gave them my old address !? Go figure that one!  I also keep muddling my words putting them where they don't belong or calling things by their wrong names even though I know it's not right!  And MOODY! surprised I haven't been evicted! LOL. But good to read these posts and know I am not going nuts and this all seems to be a natural progression of recovery.  Just hope it doesn't take too long.
You had a major event and your chances of having a full stroke with far worse effects are about 35% in the next 5 years.  So I hope that you give yourself time and take every precaution to avoid having the full stroke.  And change your standards for doing things.  Who cares about an unmade bed.  You take care.
My mother who is 91 was taken to the hospital Oct 7 2013 & after several test was informed she had had a TIA was was sent home after 1 night in the hospital with no appointments to see a neurologist, is this normal protocol?  Just trying to gather as much as information as I can.  Thanks in advance for any replies.
I had a tia on July 26th 2013 and was hospitalized from friday night to sunday morn. I had it about 130pm in the afternoon but didnt go to the hospital until my husband got home that night and seen what kind of shape i was in. I was driving about l mile from my home when all of a sudden my vision in both eyes was gone had to stop the car. Thankfully I was on the phone with my brother when it hit so he and his wife came and got me . I just thought it was inner ear because i have had vertigo due to inner ear. But when my hubby got home my speech was slow and slurred. So he immediately got me to the hospital. It was so scarey. I have had a follow up mri since the attack that sent me to the hospital but this mri show i have had several and there are plaques showing up. So now I have to see a neurologist. My mother and her mother and sisters have a history of tias as did my father until he passed away. I am still having problems with my memory and concentrating and trying to remember words. I also am depressed. I am 48 years old and this stuff is scarey.
My husband, who is 81, had a TIA on Friday, Oct 11.  His speech was awful.  he couldn't put a sensible sentence together.  I took him to the ER and they kept him overnight.  He was okay the next morning so they sent him home after doing tests on him.  The CT showed he had a small stroke, but since he was already on blood thinner and his blood pressure was fine, they don't know what caused it.  they didn't recommend a neurologist either.  I think they should have.  he has been sort of depressed and sometimes confused.  But he is very defensive when I ask if he is okay.  He won't admit he isn't "quite right" yet.  So scary!!!
Yes, I am.  I had a TIA last week 11/14/13.  I am so fatigued, and find it difficult to focus, although all tests show there was no damage.  I cry all the time and feel very irritable.  I feel like I'm losing my mind, as I feel as though I've been given a second chance at taking care of myself, but I'm depressed.  I feel ashamed of myself for feeling this way.  It's going to start effecting by work as my job takes a tremendous amount of concentration and focus.  Ugh...what to do????  
Why are you ashamed?  No reason to be.  Depression can affect people for all different reasons.  You need to see a doctor and see about getting an anti-depressant.  And perhaps therapy might also help you.  The only thing to be ashamed about is to not get help when it is easily available to save your job, your state of mind, etc. If you see the remarks above, many people have side effects that last for awhile even though it is a TIA.  Get the help that you need.  You take care.
JUST HAD A TIA NOVEMBER 2013, IN THE DC AREA.I ASK "GOD" TOO! WHY ME, I WORK OUT, EXERCISE, AND TRY TO DO THE RIGHT THINGS IN LIFE. SO WHY DID I HAVE A STROKE.............It should not be this way to people...life cut short
You only had a TIA whose side effects are mostly reversible--hardly a life cut short.  But you must follow any instructions at this point because now your chances of having a full stroke are about 33% within the next 5 years.  Look up the risk factors.  Big ones are high blood pressure and smoking.

Many people do feel the "why did this happen to me?"  Sometimes life just happens for no reason.  

I had a full major stroke with no risk factors at all.  Some strokes do happen that way. And I don't consider my stroke as being "life cut short".  Although it did disable me in ways that I have finally come to peace with.  

There are other things that can happen for no reason such as an aneurysm which mostly kills people on the spot. Or you could get hit while on the road and be killed or severely injured with nothing that you did wrong. And there are many other medical maladies that can happen to people.

To the "why did this happen to me?"  Grieve as you need to.  That is a healthy thing to do.  Then you just have to make the most of what you do have. That's all any of us can do.  You take care.
To all asking about TIA after-effects.  Please review the definition of TIA's, and you will find that by medical definition, all symptoms are resolved in 24 hours.  If this is not the case, you did not have a TIA, but a stroke, and you must immediately seek further attention and therapy on that basis in order to try to resolve the symptoms.  The symptoms will not just go away.
I had carotid atery sugery in june and now im told I have accessory mononeuopathy I am also still having numbness on my opposite side all mri of brain are normal
Hi Just read your post and could so relate ...I had aa TIA several years ago then a possible one a year ago and 3 weeks ago had 2 episodes on a Friday then Saturday night...Friday night started with a short stabbing pain in the chest, didn't worry too much coz it quickly went away but then got tingling/numbness in collarbone,jaw, side of fce, lips and hand all on left side went to the hospital where I saw 3 different drs all with different diagnosis and released in the morning....then that day by mid afternoon had a 10 scale headache and immense waves of nausea, confusion and out of body feeling grabbed aspirin and chewed on way to hospital where they said I suffered a migraine (never had one and Im 52)...the pain and nausea went away within approx. an hour and 15 mins after showing at hospital....I am living with my daughter and carer of my 2 1/2 year old grand-daughter and a full-time uni student. Since the last episodes weeks ago I am depressed, anti social, noise sensitive and just want to curl up, I feel lost a lot of the time (not physically- emotionally) and am not able to concentrate on my over due assessment. I have no time for anyone and am very easily irritated. This is the opposite to who I was before and am worried I am not going to get back to my old self. my doctor has me on aspirin and antidepressants (which I don't like to take) and my anxiety is through the roof especially when I have to deal with anything - I have nil stress tolerance also ....arghhh I just hope things get better....thanks ffor reading :-)
I had a TIA that lasted 3 days.  I was unable to speak  I thould that TIA were only a few hours.  Has anyone had that experience?  Also I still feel "fuzzy" I don't comprehend everything I read.
I've had an TIA on Dec 25 and I'm still feeling numbness and tingle feelings on my fingertips, my speech is slow and slurry, my lip feels swollen,  I can't focus and I'm having short term memory loss. Its only been 2 days, but I am sadden by my sudden condition. I have always been very quick with my thoughts, speech, and very athletic. As I read more and more comments on these after effect conditions; I feel as I lost a part of who I am. All the effects,  my left knee, left side of my neck, left side of my mouth, my speech slurry , left side vision on and off blurry, my left elbow and forearm, hand and finger tips numb with occasional tender pains and tingling. Will this change too the better or is this the beginning too a different life style
It was believed that I had 3 total between 3-6 pm
If it's a TIA, then it should go away.  But if not, there is physical therapy and speech therapy which can help all of what you have written about.  Don't lose faith.  Call your doctor to get more help on this and to answer your questions.
What were the 3 different diagnoses?  I don't why you don't like to take anti depressants, but you would be very wise to take them since you have a lot of responsibilities.  Also ask for some anti anxiety medication as well if the anti depressant doesn't help your anxiety, which it could.  Strokes can change one's mood considerably.  Wish you the best.  You take care.
I am a 27 year old female and a year ago (actually almost 18 months now) had a TIA after a surgery to remove adhesions from my uterus and bladder after a terrible c-section. Thank God, I was already at the hospital, but I had the feeling that I couldn't breathe, tat my chest was heavy and then had a miserable sensation at the back of my head that I was falling backwards (I was lying flat on the hospital bed). I started to tell my nurse something was wrong and called my husband on the phone. Mid conversation, I lost all my ability to speak, the right arm starting moving uncontrollably, the left side went numb, and my head was shaking involuntarily back and forth. I tried to write on a piece of paper TIA or STROKE but could not form the letters. It was a nightmare, feeling like you were in hell. I could hear and understand everything that was going on around me, but nobody understood me. I couldn't talk, or blink, or make eye contact. All I could think was, my daughter is only a year old, I need to survive this. Why is this happening? I followed up with neurologist, did blood tests, the whole thing, all results were normal. I still feel a constant headache, my right arm feels numb up top and buzzes at my finger tips. My hearing is sensitive, my moods are hot or cold  and I have always been very even keeled prior to this. It's very hard for me to read, and takes a very long time to write or type. I don't want to have this happen again, but I can't find a doctor that knows how to help me.
I am currently having this problem. I work in a ER and I was at when when I had my very first TIA. I was in the hosp for one day... I had blurred vision, could not talk, cloudy memory, the smallest of tasks would take me hours, I would feel like I'm running a each for DAYS not hours... Today alone I lost my speech 10 times, so I believe I was having small TIA's throughout the day. I would become quit tired and often I would forget things... I am able to write what I want to say down, but I am not able to speak it.... I often stutter my words... I get small headaches on the left side of my head and thats when it all starts, so I know when this comes on.. I also have short term memory loss (This coming from a guy who is OCD and remembers everything)

It's not easy living this way and is very hard. I find that I don't talk to people much in public and when I have this I often just keep quiet. This is new for me... Being in the medical field I know what I SHOULD BE DOING, and what I am not doing. Knowing what is or COULD happen should make me RUN TO the ER, but I am stubborn and stay away (Even know I work in a ER)

Anyway, How long will this last?

I need to know how long this will take to pass... I am going to talk to everyone at work tomorrow and see if I am having several TIA's....

If anyone knows, PLEASE EM me or let me know
Hi, Nice forum!  A lot of info. Makes me feel better.  Knowledge is power!  I just had a TIA mini stroke on 1/15/2014. Started with a intense headack on the right side of my head temple area. Then next a clamy sweat came
over me followed by pronounced weakness in my left arm. Left side of face numbess like novacain. Nauseated. I took the rest of the day off thinking is was a sinus prob.  Slept the rest of day into night. The next day stayed
home, only getting up to eat. Slept most of all day.  Still feeling affects. Next day Friday went back to work with still same affects, not getting better.  Then I called the doc and went into to see what happened to me?

They ran a EKG and my heart was in Atrial Fibrillation. This could have been a few weeks to a month in this condition. I never knew!  OHH about 180 Beats per minute! Not that I was freaking out or anything!  The doc
recommended that I check myself into the ER and I did. CT scan, Ultrasound, another EKG, another type of ultra sound to see the arteries was applied to me.  The CT scan found a clot in the right side brain! TIA mini stroke.  Blood thinners, Blood pressure med, one to make my heart pump stronger, and one to slow down my heart. They kept me to slow down my heart. Squeezed hands, lifted arms legs. 3am in morning had light shined in eyes! Counted back from 100 by 7's to 0. I had a problem with that before that! :) Asked me to identify stuff!  Passed them all.  

Hospital stay from 1/17/2014 to 1/20/2014. They are keeping me on a blood thinner until they do a cardioversion to get my heart back into normal rthymn.  Here it is 1/30/2014 and I still feel alittle numb on the face, I go to
work, no memory loss as I know of. Left arm is now back to 97%. It was so bad I had a hard time buttoning my shirt. Now I can. It does seem to misfire a little. However, I am really tired each day. Feel like I have been

rode hard and put up wet!  However, I do want to note that the side affects on some meds are dousiness!  One for BP I take once a day. I take it at night. The second med for Blood thinning I take two per day so at least I take it one along with my BP med before bed. So maybe some of the tiredness is due to side affects from the MEDs but not all. My first Heart Doc app is tomorrow on what the next step is.  

I am optimistic that things will be fine. My wife lost her wits, as in scared out of! Great support is the key! My wife, son, friends, work mates all have
rallied around me. If it was not for the support, I would have other problems.    It's good to know that I am not alone in what is happening to me. Although I am a little unnerved that could happen again!
Hi! I am SO glad I found this site, thank you so much to everyone who has commented. I cant begin to tell you how relieved I am now.
I hadHi! I am SO glad I found this site, thank you so much to everyone who has commented. I cant begin to tell you how relieved I am now.
I had what I presume was my first TIA a few weeks ago. This was the first time I ended up at the accident and emergency hospital, which is why I presume its my first. The 'loss' of words scared me badly. The harder I tried to get to focus on a word, the more confused I got and the more words I 'lost'.
Its now 3 weeks later and aside from the crippling headaches (I am told that this is because I am a migraine sufferer) I am doing okay. A little slower than before and less patient, but what I have noticed and I wondered if others got this also, is when I am stressed or put myself under pressure, I lose my words or I get them jumbled up so instead of typing 'produce broadcast (I am a radio producer and host) I would put prodcast and even though my eyes tell me its wrong, my brain cant figure it out. Will I always have this or will it fade in time?  what I presume was my first TIA a few weeks ago. This was the first time I ended up at the accident and emergency hospital, which is why I presume its my first. The 'loss' of words scared me badly. The harder I tried to get to focus on a word, the more confused I got and the more words I 'lost'.
Its now 3 weeks later and aside from the crippling headaches (I am told that this is because I am a migraine sufferer) I am doing okay. A little slower than before and less patient, but what I have noticed and I wondered if others got this also, is when I am stressed or put myself under pressure, I lose my words or I get them jumbled up so instead of typing 'produce broadcast (I am a radio producer and host) I would put prodcast and even though my eyes tell me its wrong, my brain cant figure it out. Will I always have this or will it fade in time?
I am a 31 year old female in general good health besides a neck injury.  9 days ago I had a TIA at work out of the blue.  I felt like I was hit in the side of the head with a baseball bat with a spike on the end.  Severe bashing type pain that worsened on each inhalation.  Everything went bright and I got hot and sweaty.  This lasted less than 2 minutes.  Then came weakness, tingling (mostly on left side of face but also in arms and legs later on that day) and slight drunk feeling.  I wasn't slurring much, but my speech was different and I had a hard time finding some words.  2 short bouts of very loud ringing in my left ear and serious fatigue.
I should have gone to the ER but instead I was able to see my primary.  He said no, not a TIA, I'm too young for that.  He told me to rest for the day and call in the morning.  I called and requested an MRI and a referral to a neurologist.  The MRI finally happened 6 days later.  It didn't show any signs of what happened that day, but did show an 8 mm lacune in the left basal ganglia from a prior insult, and the report said the prior insult was a year old.  I don't recall having a stroke last year although I do have migraines.  I also have trauma to my jaw and c1 and c2 from an assault 3 years ago.  Next step is Neurologist to try and get some answers and some sort of plan.  Since the episode I have had a constant headache, weakness, fatigue, moody as hell, and neck pain much worse than normal.  I saw my spine doc today (every 4 weeks to put it back together due to ligamentous strain not holding the damn things in place) and he said age means nothing when it comes to strokes/TIAs.  He recommended a neuro as well.  I am having to keep going back and fix words in this!  I also noticed problems texting (hitting the same wrong letters trying to make words over and over again) and trying to think of specific words.  I'm really glad this forum is here.  It made me cry reading all of these.  I'm sorry to all of you going through this and I thank you for posting.  It really helped me.  I didn't understand why I was still so tired...
Very grateful to hear all of your stories here. Had some kind of 'brain attack' 2 months ago. MRI revealed lesions. Neurologist first thought MS, now doesnt think it's MS but they dont have any idea what it was. Do have history of migraines, but this was way more severe than that. Severe heachach, loss of vision, couldn't process or speak, nausea,, totally 'paralyzed type feeling in both arms and shoulders. Awful processing, memory loss problems. A lot of the symptoms are resolving quickly, but still feel like someone hit me across the back of my neck with a baseball bat and have occasional memory issues, tons of fatigue and blurry vision. It's been 2 months of tests and no answers. The Doc last week actually said they thought it was just aging. That i was getting older, and maybe my neck issues were arthritis. I swear I felt like the Charlie Brown character Lucy!  ARGGHHH!!! Anyway, it's so great to read about all of your experiences. I will continue taking all of the supplements that seem to be helping and hope the fatigue and neck pain resolve quickly. Thanks for sharing your stories. It helps a lot.
Perhaps you need a second opinion from another neurologist.  I had a ignorant one right after my stroke.  Arthritis does NOT cause the symptoms that you mention.  It's great that your symptoms are getting better. Give it more time.
You are not too young for a TIA.  Even children have strokes.  Would be interested in what your neurologist had to say.
My Mom came to live with me in the winter of 2012 after suffering a TIA in the Spring of 2011. She was no longer able to perform at work and because of hte extra care she needed and her lack of ambition her marriage deteriorated.  More than 3 years later she complains of a lot of the symptoms listed here (tired, dizzy, unbalanced, weak on one side). Have any of you had any successful treatments? We went a few neurologists and no one really had any treatment ideas other than physical therapy. I've been riding her for the last few years pretty hard, telling her she's not doing enough and has become lazy (she sits around most of the day) but now I see a lot of people are dealing with the same thing. As her son it's driving me crazy to see my mom go through this and I feel helpless. Anyone have any suggestions?
Yes, is she on an anti-depressant?  That could help greatly help with her motivation.  If she is taking an anti-depressant, see about raising the dose with her doctor.  Or if she is on a peak dose, then changing to another anti-depressant.  

Also can you find anything that really interests your mother?  That might give her some motivation.  But nothing will interest her if she is suffering from depression, which it does sound like she is.

And yes physical therapy and speech therapy are the only two things that I know of to help with stroke disabilities.  But you didn't mention that she has difficulty with her speech or swallowing, so speech therapy would not be a treatment for your mother.

Wish the best to you and your mother.
She was on mild anti depressants for a while after she came to live with me but she thought they were making her dizziness worse. We are moving soon to a city where volunteer work opportunities for mentally impaired adults exist. We talked about it and she thinks she wants to enroll. Hopefully this will get her headed back in the right direction. She's still relatively young (56) so she has a lot of life left to live. Thanks for the advice Sara.
Thanks for your reply.  I hope that if the new place and opportunities will help her. But if not, I hope that you will consider taking her to a doctor about her dizziness and another anti-depressant that she could take.  If she has clinical depression, no amount of great opportunities can make a difference.  Yes, she has a lot of life left.  I had my stroke at 56 years, but due to my disabilities from the stroke, I have very little of a life.  But I am not depressed and have made peace with it.  Your mother is very fortunate to have such a caring daughter as you are.
I was thinking about when I had my first TIA and I remembered having the worst headache of my life at 13yrs old, this was in 1993/1994  I was taking a French test as school and lost use of my right arm and my vision got blurry.  From then until Feb 2009 I have suffered many terrible headaches.  I have seen many doctors had a CAT Scan and was always told that I have migraines.  Over the years I was taking large amounts of medication to dull the pain of the headaches and I would just wait until the numbness and blurred vision went away.  The pain got so bad over the years that I was taking 3 extra strength pain killers at a time.  I had a headache in 2009 that lasted the 31 days I finally could not take the pain and my stomach could not take the excessive amounts of medication so I went to an emergency room.  I was given pay painkillers via IV and this helped. Until 2 days later when the pain returned, but I also had loss of memory and numbness.  During Feb 2009 I went to 6 different doctors and when I was finished I had a large Ziploc bag filled with medication which did not work.  I had at least 4 TIA and then a permanent headache.  The last doctor I saw finally realized what was happening and sent me to the hospital where I was diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera. I was given asprin and this took away the pain and I had no more TIAs.  I was put on hydroxyurea and that has kept me TIA free.

I have noticed that I have been depressed a lot over the years, my memory comes and goes and I have gotten extremely clumsy with my worse accident required a trip to the ER, stitches and X-ray scans.  My doctor does not think that I have any long term effects of my TIAs but I have to wonder if I do not have long term damage after suffering for so long with this problem.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that could help?
I am 57yrs old and had my 3rd TIA on Saturday, now 4 days ago. I woke up and tried walking and fell down. Got up and fell down again. I also have Multiple Sclerosis and called my 35 year old daughter that I live with, to come help me. I told her I also had a very bad headache. She gave me medicine for my headache and I went back to sleep while she sleep in my recliner. When I woke up 3 hours later, and could still not stand up or walk, my daughter also noticed my mouth was drooping on the left side and I was slurring my words. She begged me to go the hospital, which we did. They took me in immediately and did a CT of my brain and said they found a spot that had not been on previous CTs, and were going to diagnose me with at Stroke. When I gave them my history over the past 16 hours, they said they felt my Stroke had started about 8pm the night before and the actual stroke happened sometime while I slept between 10:00pm and 7:00am.  This was way past the 4 hour window for medication to be given to help the side effects of a stroke. All we could do was wait and see if the symptoms started going away, which would mean it was a TIA and not a full Stroke.

The symptoms did get better, but did not go away. They released me to go home on Sunday evening. I really thought I was feeling much better, then I woke up Monday morning and could hardly move, my mouth was dropping again, but not as bad as originally. I can barely walk with my walker, and all I want to do is sleep. I pray and hope these symptoms will gradually continue to decrease. Anyone with similar situations?
I am 54yrs old & I suffered my 1st TIA 4yrs ago at that time I was told I had suffered a stroke.  It took me a year to be able to walk on my own and still suffer from slight left-sided weakness.  After all that I was told I didnot have a stroke and they could not explain to me what happened.  K was forced to medically retire from a job I loved. I went to see the neurologist from my HMO who told me to go see a psychiatrist! I was so mad I called my insurance & requested to go out of network thankfully they approved it. The neurologist I see now is so compassionate and has done quite a bit of different test in the meantime I still continued to have TIA's. He found I had a PFO I had it closed on Aug. 2013 thinking yes no more problems. Well that was short-lived because 2wks after surgery I had another one. I have gotten to the point where I don't want to go to the hospital when it happens: left side droops, confusion, left side weakness can't lift my leg or arm then comes the headache.  It is SO FRUSTRATING each time I end up in the hospital cat scan, mri all come back normal. Even the hospitals seem to be tired of me I just got released once again 2days ago. I didn't want to go so I waited until the next day and I was getting worse the headache kicked in and I could hardly see out of my left eye. After prescribing two more medications added to the 8 I already take (I haven't gotten them) I was sent home @12:00 midnight.  I am soooo tired of this roller coaster but I have no other choice it sounds horrible but if they claim it's leading up to a major stroke then get it over with but to be honest I don't even think the doctors know what is going on. God bless you all and I pray that someday they can actually tell us what is happening.  
I am so sorry to hear about all your trips to the ER.  Have you looked at the risk factors for a major stroke, including keeping a good blood pressure, high cholesterol and no smoking?  I would be worried too. I quizzed my doctor in detail about my chance of having another major stroke.  

I sincerely hope that they figure out what is going on with you.  Good luck.
The next time you wake up experiencing hardly able to move and  your mouth was dropping again, you should call 911 so that they can give you the medication in time to stop the problems. And those around you should know the signs of stroke so that they can call 911.  I did not have the judgment to get help when I had a major stroke until hours later and I am VERY tuned in to my body.  The night before I experienced tiny red lines in my peripheral vision.  I  immediately went online to see if I should go to the ER.  It showed nothing.  But the next day when I woke up initially paralyzed and couldn't speak properly, I didn't know that anything was wrong with me.  Maybe that's what happened to you the last time you experienced it.  Try to drill it in your head that you need to call 911 if you experience any of the stroke symptoms.  I don't know if it will help, but that's what I've tried to instill in my brain--LOL.  
Hi everyone!

I am sincerely hoping you are able to help me. Or at the least guidance and support.

I am 35 and just was discharged from the hospital. I was admitted for TIA but discharged with Complicated Migraine with facial weakness. All of my tests came back normal. I am still experiencing headache, left side weakness, slurred/delayed speech, right side facial droop and now vision problems. I really feel as if this is not migraine related. My doctor won't listen to me. I have three children and a husband who all need me. While my stay at the hospital I had two Neuro Alerts called on me.

I can't even talk without an "episode" popping in. I am really annoyed and frustrated.

Thanks for reading my rant. Any help would be appreciated.

Danielle