Thyroid Disorders Community
Acid Reflux as Symptom of Hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Dear Doctor:

I read through the posts on this site, but didn't see Acid Reflux as a designated symptom of Hypothyroidism.  My mother has this Hypothyroidism as well as my sister.  I'm 57 years old and wondering if I could be getting Hypothyroidsim.  I was tested for TSH levels in January of this year, but they were normal.  I was also taking flax oil and have stopped that in January because of this acid problem.  Is Acid Reflux a problem with people when they start getting the condition of Hypothyroidism?
Yes, it can definitely be a symptom.  I can vouch for that.  Were you tested for anything besides TSH?  What was the actual number and the reference range used by the lab and the doc?
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a repeat question.  If you want to ask Dr. Lupo, then go to this link and click on the Doctors forum on thyroid on the right side of the page.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/list
I can second that, I have been suffering from stomach problems and pian in the esophagus for the last two weeks on and off, I have Hashi's although the reflux seemed to get worse because I went a little Hyper while having my synthroid adjusted and still have it, I am hoping, when my tsh comes back to normal it will ease up. Good Luck FTB4