Thyroid Disorders Community
Alcohol and Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Alcohol and Synthroid

Does Synthroid affect the processing of alcohol? Since going on it (50mcg), I have noticed I experience a sort of hangover even with low alcohol intake (i.e. less than 2 beers). It is not, however, like a normal hangover, but almost like I have ingested too much salt. I will have a headache, but it is not the classic spinning, throbbing, nauseous feeling. Any ideas?
That happened me alot.. Have you hypo??? I found that after 4 drinks Id be really sick the next day! Head and feeling like throwing up.. I put it down to the fact that being hypo slows down matablism so the drink was kinda still in my system!! Make sense?? Even though I could usually drink a lot more without getting a hang over... I haven't drank much since I got diagnosed.... Hope that helps!
Jen
I am sub-clinical hypo. Before Synthroid, I was able to drink much more without getting bad effects. But now it is not like a hangover occurring with fewer drinks, it is more similar to headaches from when I am dehydrated or have eaten to much salt (like over-indulging at a pizza buffet). It is annoying because it can sometimes happen with a single glass of wine.
Im subclinical, Maybe you should tell your doc he might have an idea.. I know how you feel though.. I hate going out now cause I know Il feel the effects of it the next day! And I wouldn't even be drunk!
Ever since going on synthroid my tolerance for alcohol has gone way down.  I can basically be drunk after two drinks.  it *****, but on the bright side, I'm a cheap date :)
Ha ha. Got you all beat, I was severely hypo, before it took me three drinks. Now more like 10-12. LOL So I guess were all different. Just depends on our bodies.
After having my thyroid totally out and having to go on meds, I can't seem to tolerate alcohol either. I think the way the body synthesizes the alcohol through the liver, and having the meds in there as well, it's gonna cause something to not go right!
Well, I could drink as many drinks as possible without getting drunk.. Don't get a hangover just a very weird feeling.  Headache and body aches.  I had my thyroid remove due to cancer and now take synthroid daily.  The dosage as changed many times.  Now I'm at 125m... who knows what's next.  I'm guessing I will never be the same.  Oh well life goes on and we have to make the best of it!!! Glad to hear that other people have the same problems.
I feel the exact same way about drinking like a fish and not getting drunk.  I am dehydrated the next day but NOWHERE near as hungover as I used to get.  I just really started noticing because, (and I know this isn't what you're supposed to do), I've actually TRIED to get drunk and wasn't able to manage the same feelings I got before.  I know I don't have a drinking problem but still enjoy a glass of wine or a couple beers after a long day at work ya know!  :D
I agree with you..I definitely have hypo, but  am wondering abot hashi's also. Although my levels seem to on the lower end of normal range, my feet arestillsuper cold, gained some weight, and also was just recently hoarse with a sore throuat but yet my dr. still won't do nothing about it. So yeah, I drink a good bit too...especially because I can't sleep otherwise..You go girl!!
There are lots of experienced and knowledgeable members here, so if you are looking for comment regarding your hypothyroid status, you will get lots more notice and response if you will start a new thread under your own name.  Just click on the orange Post  A Question button at top of page and re-post.  While you are at it, please post your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.