Thyroid Disorders Community
Am I being crazy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Am I being crazy

I was diagnosed hypothyroid about 6 or 7 weeks ago when I went into my Dr. for my annual checkup/bloodwork.  He put my on .50 synthroid and told me to come back in 6 weeks for more blood work.  I did that yesterday....and was more than ready for a change....since starting the synthroid my period STOPPED....like I mean it was so close to starting when I went in for my checkup there was blood in my urine, I am more tired now than ever before, notice more hair loss, depression seems worse, and have gained about 7 pounds.  When I went in today for my results I was told my thyroid showed NO change....so he took one the next baby step and upped my synthroid to .75.  Here is where the "crazy" part comes.... I have a friend who started cytomel and saw almost immediate results....I can't cope with this for another six weeks only to go in and take another baby step.  Am I being irrational so early in diagnosis or is it reasonable for my Dr. to put me on a low dose of cytomel at the same time as upping the synthroid just a little?  Why up my synthroid just a TINY bit when .50 has shown NO results?
Upping your dose from 50 mcg to 75 mcg is not a baby step...it's 1.5 times what you've been taking.  Thyroid meds dosage changes have to be made in small increments...otherwise you're apt to swing from hypo to hyper, and then the "fun" really begins.  Your doctor is doing the right thing by increasing slowly.  Some of us would consider that a very FAST increase.

Cytomel and Synthroid act very differently.  Synthroid takes weeks to build in your system.  Cytomel has a more immediate effect.  If your system is converting T4 to T3 properly, then there's no reason to take Cytomel.  You won't know this until you get your FT4 close to midrange and evaluate symptoms.  The process of finding your "ideal" dose takes patience, patience and more patience.  Attempts to hurry it just prolong the process.  

Please post your lab history with reference ranges for FT3 and FT4.  Ranges are specific to your lab and have to come from your own lab report.
As goolarra said, going from 50 to 75 isnt a baby step.  Its often better to do that rather than bigger large steps.  

My endo increased my meds from 50 to 100 in one shot - and oh boy Ive suffered from it!!  Heart palpatations, high BP, fast heart  rate and overall not feeling good at all.    

Its much better to go slower just to be safe.  Large increases arent always a good idea.
Thanks for the input.  I've talked this out with good friends, as well as done some more research.  I am feeling more rational today :0).  I've decided to just stick it out, wait the six weeks, start taking my celexa again (to combat the depression that I think is adding to the fatigue), work out more and hope for the best.  When I go back for my next round of bloodwork, I'll ask to make an appt to discuss the specifics of my numbers and have my Dr. explain my T3 vs T4. Thanks again.