Hey I'm scheduled for my surgery on Dec 18th and I work for a hospital who REALLY stresses that we have our flu vaccines. Today is the last day to get it and I am not sure if I should take it. I have never "gotten the flu" by taking the vaccine (total exaggeration) but I don't know if I want to compromise myself. Can't even get an answer from surgeon (ENT) and PCP saya it's my call. Opinions please
I was thinking the same ? for me but I have more time on my side as my surgery isn't until the 9th of Jan. My root canals start on your surgery date Dec. 18th and it ran thru my mind that being in the hospital is a risk factor in itself for catching the flu above and beyond for me as I don't work in a hospital .... I don't know what to suggest for you other than if you don't normally get the shot and are not an asthmatic or at high risk with your health *maybe* pass on it ? Although on the other side of the coin if you get a reaction it would only be a few days afterwards and be very abbreviated and not interfere with your surgery date most likely.
What are your gut instincts saying with that little voice in the back of your mind?
After rereading your posting .. if you usually get the shot every year, I'd lean towards getting the vaccine.
I *think* that is what I'd do if in your position.
I'm gunshy to get it as I've never had the vaccine and afraid of reaction and not knowing what the reaction may be having never had the vaccine any other year.
Since you've had before it's most likely any of the big reactions wouldn't happen as your system has accepted it in the past. But, ea. yr the strain is different so maybe my rationale doesn't make total sense ? .... hopefully my opinion isn't too too confusing as you have to decide TODAY!
I had a TT on Nov.30th. A month before, my PCP insisted that I get not only a flu shot but the pneumonia vaccine as well. He advised that he was trying to prevent me from having to deal with such illnesses when I would already be recovering from my surgery. He also stated that he hardly ever offers the pneumonia vaccine to any of his patients under 40 (I am 34) but felt that I would definitely benefit from this as well.
Thanks for the input - I ended up taking the vaccine. I was thinking on the same line as the PCP. One week window if I actually was already infected. Still the symptoms would be less. I have a slight cold and go to PCP on Monday AM after my pre surgical testing so I hope I shake the cold asap so they don't postpone surgery.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.